These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve Too Nasty

First post First post
Author
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Doomheim
#101 - 2013-08-22 19:25:40 UTC
Xavier Perez wrote:
I very much enjoy starting fires.

Yes, but have you started a fire with gasoline in your neighbors back yard, staked him out on the ground once he rushes outside, entered his abode, banged his wife, drunk his single-malt collection dry and stolen his stereo, all while the police just cruise by uncaring because you paid them off?

Hisec merc & piracy play, best play..
Xavier Perez
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#102 - 2013-08-22 19:31:13 UTC
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen wrote:
Xavier Perez wrote:

Yes, but have you started a fire with gasoline in your neighbors back yard, staked him out on the ground once he rushes outside, entered his abode, banged his wife, drunk his single-malt collection dry and stolen his stereo, all while the police just cruise by uncaring because you paid them off?

Hisec merc & piracy play, best play..

Sounds just like my junior year!
Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
#103 - 2013-08-22 19:42:41 UTC
Xavier Perez wrote:
Also some previous posters are right. In the real world I'm a college educated generally nice guy with a family. In eve, I get to have a vent for my darker side, which would probably at least vent in some ways in my real life without that safety valve, so Eve is doing its part to make the world a brighter place on its own. I have a harmless vent that doesn't hurt anyone in the real world.

I do my part to spread misery and watch New Eden burn, but in the real world I give to charity and help rebuild houses damaged by storms on my free time.

Far better to slap your Vexor than to slap my child after a sour day at work.

And free for all becomes forced for all. Nobody can opt out of your mean streak.

I should point out, I'm not complaining, I'm explaining. This is what EVE is.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Xavier Perez
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#104 - 2013-08-22 19:53:12 UTC
Ioci wrote:
Xavier Perez wrote:
Also some previous posters are right. In the real world I'm a college educated generally nice guy with a family. In eve, I get to have a vent for my darker side, which would probably at least vent in some ways in my real life without that safety valve, so Eve is doing its part to make the world a brighter place on its own. I have a harmless vent that doesn't hurt anyone in the real world.

I do my part to spread misery and watch New Eden burn, but in the real world I give to charity and help rebuild houses damaged by storms on my free time.

And free for all becomes forced for all. Nobody can opt out of your mean streak.

http://www.hellokittyonline.com/registration
Have fun!
ChironV
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#105 - 2013-08-22 19:53:45 UTC
Xavier Perez wrote:

The thing that will give you a headache is trying to figure out if your Eve persona is closer to your true self. You say you enjoy spreading pew pew misery in eve. Then it would be fair to say you enjoy making other people unhappy.

As long as you can feel guiltless about making anonymous people miserable you can feel good and then give to charity and rebuild houses in RL.

God I love Eve... The people in here are so freaky. Twisted

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#106 - 2013-08-22 19:54:18 UTC
Xavier Perez wrote:

I prefer to fan them even more.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Arcata Steiner
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#107 - 2013-08-22 19:58:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Arcata Steiner
Lady Fatant wrote:
I have met the best of characters, the most generous of strangers, the most friendly of corps. But. I think the game is getting too nasty, evil seems to be reigning.
I love this game. But since the corp I'm in has been targeted for War by other corps for no reason but War.
I have been ganked and pod killed for no reason.
You even find high sec are no longer safe because nutters decide to destroy and die.
Lady Fatant Cry

EVE is how every MMO needs to be. I have dreamed of a fantasy MMO where you could be killed and actually lose something out of it right in the safety of your own home. Consequences are what make a game fun. If you chose to undock and go AFK in your bling mission ship, there SHOULD be consequences...or buy a stealthy mission ship instead.

The trouble I have in your post is that you want to take the moral high ground when it comes to EVE, saying it brings out the worst in humanity. What is every other MMO about? WoW is about genocide. Players are rewarded for killing each other by getting better gear, and whole races are trying to wipe other races from existence. Is it because the pixels are more cartoony and rainbow colored that it seems less evil?

Remember, in space, no one can hear you scream.
Xavier Perez
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#108 - 2013-08-22 20:05:18 UTC
Arcata Steiner wrote:
Lady Fatant wrote:
I have met the best of characters, the most generous of strangers, the most friendly of corps. But. I think the game is getting too nasty, evil seems to be reigning.
I love this game. But since the corp I'm in has been targeted for War by other corps for no reason but War.
I have been ganked and pod killed for no reason.
You even find high sec are no longer safe because nutters decide to destroy and die.
Lady Fatant Cry

EVE is how every MMO needs to be. I have dreamed of a fantasy MMO where you could be killed and actually lose something out of it right in the safety of your own home. Consequences are what make a game fun. If you chose to undock and go AFK in your bling mission ship, there SHOULD be consequences...or buy a stealthy mission ship instead.

The trouble I have in your post is that you want to take the moral high ground when it comes to EVE, saying it brings out the worst in humanity. What is every other MMO about? WoW is about genocide. Players are rewarded for killing each other by getting better gear, and whole races are trying to wipe other races from existence. Is it because the pixels are more cartoony and rainbow colored that it seems less evil?

Remember, in space, no one can hear you scream.

You have won this thread. Effin brilliant.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#109 - 2013-08-22 20:39:49 UTC
Ioci wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

There are no real barriers in EVE, and certainly no built in absolutes beyond how much PI material can be generated in an hour. CCP cannot enforce anything that isn't there.

Blobs are involved in encounters between pretty much like-minded entities, and victories are only temporary at best. Just ask CFC and TEST.

EVE is not a thing that is "won" ever. They know this.

Kinda like life.

In the very end, eventually, all servers, like us, get unplugged.

There are no barriers to trying but there are very real barriers to succeeding. The architecture of the game sees to it. Uedama is the dominant example of how space bottlenecks and we are forced to run the gauntlet and get by the predators. The obstacles favor the predator. We see this in the way EVE has evolved. You can't succeed in this game with a live and let live mindset. You need to be vicious and most people aren't.

Post is very true.

But I can't help but compare this part to the experience most folks have when they take the freeway in the morning first before arriving at work. Big smile It's just not really that far from real life.

And in America, exciting guns are even sometimes involved.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
#110 - 2013-08-22 20:47:42 UTC
Xavier Perez wrote:
Ioci wrote:
Xavier Perez wrote:

Have fun!

Snot shot garbage like this is what we expect from a mouth breathing goon but it never becomes the proper thing to do.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#111 - 2013-08-22 21:03:26 UTC
Nasty? Not any more...

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=268553

• Removed Nasty - Code refactoring to remove Nasty, a system as old as EVE and very aptly named.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

ChironV
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#112 - 2013-08-22 21:03:28 UTC  |  Edited by: ChironV
Ioci wrote:
Xavier Perez wrote:
Ioci wrote:
Xavier Perez wrote:

Have fun!

Snot shot garbage like this is what we expect from a mouth breathing goon but it never becomes the proper thing to do.

It may be expected, but I would rather have him pod me a few times and get his faps off than have him beat his child at his frustration from his failed life expectations.
Regjo Egghenclum
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#113 - 2013-08-22 21:39:57 UTC
You want him to get his faps off on your pod, who is the one promoting nastiness. You or him.
ChironV
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#114 - 2013-08-23 00:44:40 UTC
Regjo Egghenclum wrote:
You want him to get his faps off on your pod, who is the one promoting nastiness. You or him.

Oh he is. Most certainly.

However, if he has such a burning desire to enjoy the misery of others in game I would rather he pod a few dozen of players a night than have him feel the need to slap his child around in RL. Wouldn't you agree?

The OP probably had no idea the Eve has a significant number of sociopaths roaming around in space. Look at the organization of many corps. Carbon copy Mafia. Although instead of swearing a blood oath you have to turn over a clean API. Lol Extortion, shakedowns, drugs, ransom.. Haven't seen pimping yet but it can only be a matter of time. Shocked Amazing stuff. You just have to come into this game with a thick skin and be jaded and cynical enough about human nature.

As long as its just ingame its all a wonderful sociological experiment in human nature.
Regjo Egghenclum
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#115 - 2013-08-23 01:13:07 UTC
The OP probably couldn't count pass 20. However, I feel you confusing the ones who pvp to exact revenge and those who pleasure cruise. The game is full of sociopaths but not everyone is out for blood. I suggest you get into a carthum magnate and blow it up for ***** and giggles.

jo
Moneta Curran
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#116 - 2013-08-23 02:25:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Moneta Curran
ChironV wrote:
Conjecture

Seems the only one doing the fapping here is you, oh good samaritan. To brand someone a sociopath or child molester for shooting your internet spaceship is utterly ridiculous.

Could it be that what you are trying to say is that doing such a thing to you in this game is an unspeakable crime?
Isn't that a tad bit narcissistic? Eve is a study in human nature indeed.
Hadij Drake
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#117 - 2013-08-23 02:47:48 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:
I know its not safe, but defo should be safer. I know people will say that is the freedom of the game.

Can I tell u a story you all probably will have been through?
Once upon a time, a little ship set out into safeish space. Some nasty boys came out and destroyed his little ship and his body was incinerated in his pod. Why. For no reason?!
This little ship had been flying for 1 week. He lost everything. Then nearly decided not to go into space ever again.
The end.

I don't see the problem with this story. 99% of the time, you won't get killed in Eve if you prepare and take precautions.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#118 - 2013-08-23 06:39:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Malcanis
Barzai Mekhar wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Barzai Mekhar wrote:

Villains have a goal beyond "pick on the weak because tears". At least story-villains in remotely interesting stories.

Then they're not really villains, are they? They are just other people.

You've got some strange ideas, as following that logic Nelson from the Simpsons is more of a villian than Darth Vader...

Oh well, I get the feeling we've started moving tangential to the original topic..

This is exactly the original topic.

They're both "villains", one petty, one tragic. The whole point of antagonists is that they do bad things for their own reasons.

edit: on point, there is a philosophical difference that's nicely expressed here.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

lollerwaffle
Perkone
Caldari State
#119 - 2013-08-23 07:25:06 UTC
Lasikia wrote:
You would be better off to find another game, stop wasting your time here in a game with societies worst trash of humanity in its subscriber base you can't expect to find an enjoyable experience.

LOL projecting much?
lollerwaffle
Perkone
Caldari State
#120 - 2013-08-23 07:32:59 UTC
Also, all the people in here with their "THey are horrible to me in game so they must be horrible people IRL"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA