These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve Too Nasty

First post First post
Author
Inokuma Yawara
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#61 - 2013-08-22 12:30:42 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
OP, you would probably enjoy this game more if you remember just a few things.

1. Undocking makes you a target, no matter what. If you expect to get blown up every time you undock, then docking back up later will feel like more of a job well done, and if you do get blown up, it won't be so much of an unpleasant surprise.

2. Nowhere is safe. Anyone that thinks any area of space, including highsec, is completely safe is either lying or hasn't been playing for long enough. Anyone that thinks any area of space, including highsec, should be safe, is playing the wrong game. This simply isn't for them. Additionally, anyone claiming highsec is any safer than low, nul or wh has probably never been beyond highsec in any extended capacity.

3. Somewhere, out there, someone sees you as a target. Someone sees you as pixels that they can derez in a spectacularly amusing fashion. Weirdly, and you might not believe this but it's true, they're probably also hoping you fight back. They are going to wardec you, and it won't be the last time it happens. You have a few choices when this happens. You can avoid the fight and deny your enemy kills, make it boring enough for them that they just forget about you. You can start an alt on the same account, keep it in an NPC corp and carry on business as usual, forwarding all proceeds to your main when the wardec is over. Or, alternatively, you can learn to fight, and have some fun, but if you choose to fight, you have to expect to lose ships. Likewise, if you expect to continue business as usual under a wardec, expect to lose ships. There are probably other options, but I would suggest you do a little research on asymmetric warfare. There are some great theories that can be applied directly to highsec warfare in EVE online.

4. This is a game. There are many different kinds of people playing. It would be prudent to remember that people, by nature, enjoy violence. Conservatives would have us believe that violent video games cause more violence, but they're wrong, because violence existed in humanity before video games existed. Violent games are, actually, the product of our violent nature, and so is what we enjoy in them. In the real world, we adhere to civility and law because our actions in the real world have real consequences, and most people recognise that those consequences would be detrimental enough to their own well being that the actions are not worth it. However, in video games, we can let our nature run rampant, and like it or not, humanity is a bloodthirsty species. We are predatory by nature. We enjoy violence. That's why it's in so much of our entertainment. The point here is, people acting violently against you in this game are not deranged, they are, in fact, closer to natural human parameters than you might like to admit. Perhaps, closer than they might like to admit, but I doubt they're thinking about it in these terms at the time due to enjoying themselves too much.

Number four is probably the most important. I see too many people calling those who attack them in this game 'crazy' and accusing them of innumerable psychoses that they are probably not qualified to diagnose. It also never fails to amaze me how people jump on a game like this where the primary appeal is space battles, and then proceed to complain about space battles. Sorry, this nonsense doesn't fly, and those people attacking you, you could learn something from them. You could probably learn something about yourself from them. Something you never knew existed.

You call THAT "just a few things"?! That looks more like a EULA. I wouldn't read it. In fact, I didn't.

Watch this space.  New exciting signature in development.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#62 - 2013-08-22 12:45:28 UTC
Barzai Mekhar wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Lady Fatant wrote:
I have met the best of characters, the most generous of strangers, the most friendly of corps. But. I think the game is getting too nasty, evil seems to be reigning.
I love this game. But since the corp I'm in has been targeted for War by other corps for no reason but War.
I have been ganked and pod killed for no reason.
You even find high sec are no longer safe because nutters decide to destroy and die.
Lady Fatant Cry

Most other MMOs only have3 some rather dull, unconvincing animated NPCs to play your antagonists.

CCP actually get real live people to pretend to be the villain in your story. Pretty cool, huh?

There's a difference between a villain and a bully.

Villainsdon't actually do bad things in your conception of the word?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#63 - 2013-08-22 12:50:58 UTC
One thing that EVE is being advertised with is meaningfullness of everything that is going on there. What's actually a harsh welcome to this game is that a lot of things are meaningless: meaningless "piracy", wars etc. But well, that's MMO for you, some things that are interesting to retell, and then there are quite a bit of things that amount to "filler content". Except that in EVE, it's with people.
seth Hendar
I love you miners
#64 - 2013-08-22 12:55:50 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:

Its not that. I play because its one of the best games ever. But I also think the game can be so nasty it could put people off.

you are right, but this is WHY many of us actually play the game.

this is by design, and changing this, CCP would have to deal with thousands of really angry capsulers.

high sec is, by design, not 100% safe, and someone asking for this to change just miss the whole game purpose, and should either learn better, or quit.

eve is hard, eve is punishing, but it also offer great rewards for those able to overcome and deal with it's mechanic.

this by itself is, imao, the most clever thing in a mmo, wich prevents the least motivated to stick around for too long and "pollute" the game, thus those who stay, are REALLY interested in the game.

so, you have two ways to deal with it, you quit because it's too hard, or you hold and learn, to avoid those situations, or become stronger to deal with those situation
seth Hendar
I love you miners
#65 - 2013-08-22 13:02:02 UTC
Kahetha wrote:
go live in renter 0.0
much safer than highsec and much more profitable, because as we all know the "risk vs. reward" -doctrine is infallible and working as intended Lol

tbh, i feel more safe just in lowsec, when i fly my machariel or any other "shiny" ship, the second a non blue enter local, i KNOW that there is 90% of chance that he will try to blow my ship.

in high, you never know what the 200+ neut really want.....

this is the advantage of lowsec (and null indeed): proactive defense, a neut comes in, he dies, then he doesn't came back, then you are safe to resume any boring pve activity like annihilating roids or playing with red crosses.

now, when i go back to high, i can't stop dscaning and being like "an orca, let's find it quick" then i see i'm in high Sad
Barzai Mekhar
True Confusion
#66 - 2013-08-22 13:03:27 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Barzai Mekhar wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Lady Fatant wrote:
I have met the best of characters, the most generous of strangers, the most friendly of corps. But. I think the game is getting too nasty, evil seems to be reigning.
I love this game. But since the corp I'm in has been targeted for War by other corps for no reason but War.
I have been ganked and pod killed for no reason.
You even find high sec are no longer safe because nutters decide to destroy and die.
Lady Fatant Cry

Most other MMOs only have3 some rather dull, unconvincing animated NPCs to play your antagonists.

CCP actually get real live people to pretend to be the villain in your story. Pretty cool, huh?

There's a difference between a villain and a bully.

Villainsdon't actually do bad things in your conception of the word?

Villains have a goal beyond "pick on the weak because tears". At least story-villains in remotely interesting stories.
Lugalbandak
Lego3
#67 - 2013-08-22 13:21:44 UTC
Leave Lady ALONE!!

The police horse is the only animal in the world that haz his male genitals on his back

embrel
BamBam Inc.
#68 - 2013-08-22 13:42:33 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:
I know its not safe, but defo should be safer. I know people will say that is the freedom of the game.

Can I tell u a story you all probably will have been through?
Once upon a time, a little ship set out into safeish space. Some nasty boys came out and destroyed his little ship and his body was incinerated in his pod. Why. For no reason?!
This little ship had been flying for 1 week. He lost everything. Then nearly decided not to go into space ever again.
The end.

reminds me of another story in another full-loot universe where a noob, while checking some bodies found a silly expensive mount. As he took it out for his first ride...

another jumped on it and rode into the sunset.

In Eve at least you get to fly the ship before it's destroyed (Eve is soo terribly soooft...:).
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#69 - 2013-08-22 13:42:57 UTC
Barzai Mekhar wrote:

Villains have a goal beyond "pick on the weak because tears". At least story-villains in remotely interesting stories.

Then they're not really villains, are they? They are just other people.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

embrel
BamBam Inc.
#70 - 2013-08-22 13:47:14 UTC
Inokuma Yawara wrote:
there is still crime, but crimes in such countries is rare when compared to places such as... Somalia.

is there crime without law?
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#71 - 2013-08-22 13:52:19 UTC
embrel wrote:
Inokuma Yawara wrote:
there is still crime, but crimes in such countries is rare when compared to places such as... Somalia.

is there crime without law?

Interesting point. If there is no good in Eve, there can be no Evil.

Quick, kill all the good pilots!

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

ChironV
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#72 - 2013-08-22 14:01:35 UTC
I have found that this comparison works well when comparing Eve to other MMO's.

I compare the games to television series and people get the gist....

Other MMO's = Teletubbies

Eve Online = Breaking Bad

Eve is different.
Most game developers are desperate to have the players "play nice" and not grief each other because they may lose market share. Eve developers look at the players and say "We dare you to survive."
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#73 - 2013-08-22 14:20:19 UTC
ChironV wrote:

Breaking Bad is on its last episodes... so what you're saying is Eve is dying, right?

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#74 - 2013-08-22 14:26:14 UTC
EVE isn't nasty. The people who play it are.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Barzai Mekhar
True Confusion
#75 - 2013-08-22 14:59:53 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Barzai Mekhar wrote:

Then they're not really villains, are they? They are just other people.

You've got some strange ideas, as following that logic Nelson from the Simpsons is more of a villian than Darth Vader...

Oh well, I get the feeling we've started moving tangential to the original topic..
embrel
BamBam Inc.
#76 - 2013-08-22 15:39:21 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
EVE isn't nasty. The people who play it are.

reading your sig makes me either want to tip my hat for great trolling or puke because of idiocy.
Regis Solo
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#77 - 2013-08-22 15:41:35 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Lady Fatant wrote:

I know you are right and its only a game. But it just seems that the wrong aspects of the real world out there, seem to be coming through more and more in the game.

Would you rather them do it in here, or get 'bored' and randomly shoot Australian Baseball Players on the street ?

That one was below the belt
Ruskarn Andedare
Lion Investments
#78 - 2013-08-22 16:01:24 UTC
Inokuma Yawara wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
OP, you would probably enjoy this game more if you remember just a few things.

... a bunch of other stuff

You call THAT "just a few things"?! That looks more like a EULA. I wouldn't read it. In fact, I didn't.

Well you should have, much better than a EULA
ChironV
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#79 - 2013-08-22 16:08:47 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
ChironV wrote:

Breaking Bad is on its last episodes... so what you're saying is Eve is dying, right?

lol Big smile Yar Pirate. You go troll

No, The comparison is in the quality of the content and the target audience not the longevity of the programming.
Teletubbies - target audience - Small infants interested in bright colors.
Breaking Bad - target audience - Adults interested in quality drama.

Thus
Most MMO's - target audience - People who like bright garish colors. People who enjoy carefully guided quests and combat where no one suffers hurt feelings.

Eve Online - target audience - People who like insanely complex games which require planning spanning years. People who love to lap up the tears of the weak and unprepared like the sweetest nectar.

As I said. Eve is a very different MMO game. It is probably not for everyone. Hopefully the OP now realizes this and has made his or her call on if the game is right for them.
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#80 - 2013-08-22 16:46:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
As wise man said earlier: HTFU or GTFO. It's as simle as that.