These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve Too Nasty

First post First post
Author
Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Pandemic Horde
#41 - 2013-08-22 07:13:23 UTC
I think it is time that OP watch this: Permaband - HTFU.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to EVE.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Abyss Azizora
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#42 - 2013-08-22 08:31:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Abyss Azizora
Lady Fatant wrote:
I know most of you will think I'm a pathetic wimp. But its almost like the worst aspect of human nature is coming through. I don't like that. There should be a balance.

Try to simulate the real world in a videogame with no real lasting consequences or death, and that's exactly what you'll get.

You would have to simulate the real world's solutions to these problems in order to address it, however these solutions make for an awful game. (Die once and you can never play the game again, or commit a crime and either die permanently, or be placed in a cell with nothing to do for 20-30 years. You would also have to add aging and dying naturally.)

If the real world lacked these things, you'd have the same issues out here. You can either have a fake but fun world, or a realistic and boring world, but then why play a game when that already exists all around you.

The truth is, EVE is actually an excellent example of what will happen in the far distant future when immortality is achieved. Or at least under Eve's version of immortality.
Ammzi
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#43 - 2013-08-22 09:08:12 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:

I know most of you will think I'm a pathetic wimp.

Well, you got one thing right!
Ruby Pyrenne
Doomheim
#44 - 2013-08-22 09:24:35 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:

I know most of you will think I'm a pathetic wimp. But its almost like the worst aspect of human nature is coming through. I don't like that. There should be a balance.

Balance is maintained when people strive to preserve it, it does not come naturally.

http://rubypyrenne.wordpress.com/ part III posted @ 12 sept 2013

Asuri Kinnes
Perkone
Caldari State
#45 - 2013-08-22 09:25:47 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:
I have met the best of characters, the most generous of strangers, the most friendly of corps. But. I think the game is getting too nasty, evil seems to be reigning.
I love this game. But since the corp I'm in has been targeted for War by other corps for no reason but War.
I have been ganked and pod killed for no reason.
You even find high sec are no longer safe because nutters decide to destroy and die.
Lady Fatant Cry

/troll

Roll

Go back to 2008......

Bob is the god of Wormholes.

That's all you need to know.

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#46 - 2013-08-22 09:29:41 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:
I know its not safe, but defo should be safer. I know people will say that is the freedom of the game.

Can I tell u a story you all probably will have been through?
Once upon a time, a little ship set out into safeish space. Some nasty boys came out and destroyed his little ship and his body was incinerated in his pod. Why. For no reason?!
This little ship had been flying for 1 week. He lost everything. Then nearly decided not to go into space ever again.
The end.

oh poor little ship

William Walker
Dark Venture Corporation
Kitchen Sinkhole
#47 - 2013-08-22 09:40:56 UTC
Poem of lost ship

My ship was lost
woe is me
it was just bought
and died so quickly

All my money was in it
I was in highsec, this shouldn't be
it was so shiny, so adequate
everyone else should lose their ship
except me

I accept donations.

ヽ(⌒∇⌒)ノ へ(゜∇、°)へ (◕‿◕✿)

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2013-08-22 09:41:53 UTC
OP, you would probably enjoy this game more if you remember just a few things.

1. Undocking makes you a target, no matter what. If you expect to get blown up every time you undock, then docking back up later will feel like more of a job well done, and if you do get blown up, it won't be so much of an unpleasant surprise.

2. Nowhere is safe. Anyone that thinks any area of space, including highsec, is completely safe is either lying or hasn't been playing for long enough. Anyone that thinks any area of space, including highsec, should be safe, is playing the wrong game. This simply isn't for them. Additionally, anyone claiming highsec is any safer than low, nul or wh has probably never been beyond highsec in any extended capacity.

3. Somewhere, out there, someone sees you as a target. Someone sees you as pixels that they can derez in a spectacularly amusing fashion. Weirdly, and you might not believe this but it's true, they're probably also hoping you fight back. They are going to wardec you, and it won't be the last time it happens. You have a few choices when this happens. You can avoid the fight and deny your enemy kills, make it boring enough for them that they just forget about you. You can start an alt on the same account, keep it in an NPC corp and carry on business as usual, forwarding all proceeds to your main when the wardec is over. Or, alternatively, you can learn to fight, and have some fun, but if you choose to fight, you have to expect to lose ships. Likewise, if you expect to continue business as usual under a wardec, expect to lose ships. There are probably other options, but I would suggest you do a little research on asymmetric warfare. There are some great theories that can be applied directly to highsec warfare in EVE online.

4. This is a game. There are many different kinds of people playing. It would be prudent to remember that people, by nature, enjoy violence. Conservatives would have us believe that violent video games cause more violence, but they're wrong, because violence existed in humanity before video games existed. Violent games are, actually, the product of our violent nature, and so is what we enjoy in them. In the real world, we adhere to civility and law because our actions in the real world have real consequences, and most people recognise that those consequences would be detrimental enough to their own well being that the actions are not worth it. However, in video games, we can let our nature run rampant, and like it or not, humanity is a bloodthirsty species. We are predatory by nature. We enjoy violence. That's why it's in so much of our entertainment. The point here is, people acting violently against you in this game are not deranged, they are, in fact, closer to natural human parameters than you might like to admit. Perhaps, closer than they might like to admit, but I doubt they're thinking about it in these terms at the time due to enjoying themselves too much.

Number four is probably the most important. I see too many people calling those who attack them in this game 'crazy' and accusing them of innumerable psychoses that they are probably not qualified to diagnose. It also never fails to amaze me how people jump on a game like this where the primary appeal is space battles, and then proceed to complain about space battles. Sorry, this nonsense doesn't fly, and those people attacking you, you could learn something from them. You could probably learn something about yourself from them. Something you never knew existed.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Moneta Curran
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2013-08-22 10:12:54 UTC
These people should be cherished for the joy they bring.

It is with a special glow of affection that I discover these innocent souls who are prone to object to the most basic premise of the game.

Please don't quit and feel free to continue to ventilate your feelings here whenever you please.
Lucretia DeWinter
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2013-08-22 10:17:50 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:
Why Hello there...

This... this right here is evil...

Twisted
Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#51 - 2013-08-22 10:19:57 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:
I have met the best of characters, the most generous of strangers, the most friendly of corps. But. I think the game is getting too nasty, evil seems to be reigning.
I love this game. But since the corp I'm in has been targeted for War by other corps for no reason but War.
You even find high sec are no longer safe because nutters decide to destroy and die.
Lady Fatant Cry

AAAAHAHAHAHA

Chribba

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Krkan Krkasticni
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2013-08-22 10:32:27 UTC
I am truly sorry for your loss.

EVE can be a horrible place when you are flying all alone.

Evil people will gank you, kill your mission ship or mining ship if only for "LoLz".

Thankfully I am front man for body guard services.

For a flat fee of 200 Mil ISK / week my main will provide you with bodyguard services.

After ISK is received I will join your corp, thusly become war deced myself and will be able to give you all the support and help you need in order to kill your adversary.

You can EVE mail me for any and all information needed for this service.
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#53 - 2013-08-22 11:20:18 UTC
It's almost as if Eve was an open PvP sandbox game or something.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Muad 'dib
State War Academy
Caldari State
#54 - 2013-08-22 11:35:32 UTC
In eve: No body dies for nothing.

Someone got one or more of these: lulz, isk, loot, joy, victory, bragging, lower sec, bounty, bet reward, merc payment. from your death.

adapt or keep dieing.

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

S'Way
State War Academy
Caldari State
#55 - 2013-08-22 11:49:57 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:
But its almost like the worst aspect of human nature is coming through. I don't like that.

You might not like it, but that's what keeps most of us playing this game.
Deviant X
Deviant Inc
#56 - 2013-08-22 12:01:05 UTC
Taking some time to do research to figure out how to make unaligned safe spots, tact BM's 200km from gates, instant dock and undock BM's, using D-scan, etc will make life so much easier. You should always have BM's and Safe Spots set up in case you are War Dec'd. Never approach a station, planet or gate from a known vector if you can help it.

For the most part, Empire is very safe minus: scams, suicide gankers, and war dec's.

Regarding the ruthlessness of Eve? I think it is fitting. Most every Sci-Fi novel, TV show, or movie has the future as an ultra-violent place. I could argue that trend seems to hold for most industrialized nations as well (Increased violent crime). I for one like the sense of danger .... in a safe virtual universe. The ultimate truth is that no matter how bad it seems, there good always seems to come through at the right time!

Peace,

Barzai Mekhar
True Confusion
#57 - 2013-08-22 12:01:56 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Lady Fatant wrote:
Lady Fatant Cry

Most other MMOs only have3 some rather dull, unconvincing animated NPCs to play your antagonists.

CCP actually get real live people to pretend to be the villain in your story. Pretty cool, huh?

There's a difference between a villain and a bully.
William Walker
Dark Venture Corporation
Kitchen Sinkhole
#58 - 2013-08-22 12:06:35 UTC
Barzai Mekhar wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Most other MMOs only have some rather dull, unconvincing animated NPCs to play your antagonists.

CCP actually get real live people to pretend to be the villain in your story. Pretty cool, huh?

There's a difference between a villain and a bully.

Bullies are in babbyhighsec, villains are everywhere else.

ヽ(⌒∇⌒)ノ へ(゜∇、°)へ (◕‿◕✿)

bloodknight2
Revenu.Quebec
#59 - 2013-08-22 12:06:43 UTC
I agree with op. I can't autopilot anymore my T1 indi with my plex inside without being ganked. WTF?
I'm going back to hello kitty online.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#60 - 2013-08-22 12:07:23 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:

Its not that. I play because its one of the best games ever. But I also think the game can be so nasty it could put people off.

It has been like this for over a Decade.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882