These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE 2023... here's your road map for the next 10 years CCP.

Author
Calypso Warsmith
Strata Dynamics
Power Absolute Inc.
#41 - 2013-08-17 14:51:25 UTC
Lee Saisima wrote:
There are a LOT of space games up and coming that look set to overshadow EVE; Star Citizen, X Rebirth, and Limit Theory to name just a few. EVE already seems like an outdated game in a lot of respects. Cry

Bad part is, EvE seams like an out dated game more than any thing because of the player base.

CCP started working on the next step in there grand space sim, (WIS) and got unholy rage about over priced vanity items.

So, now eve will never be much more than a space based World of Tanks.
C DeLeon
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#42 - 2013-08-17 16:24:56 UTC  |  Edited by: C DeLeon
I'm pretty sure when technology makes it possible to fly manually with newtonian physics in a 2000vs2000 battle CCP will upgrade the game were we can still fly huge ships with commands and spreadsheets and small ships with controls on the same grid. Until then comparison is unnecessary with upcoming titles as long as they can't deliver huge battles with no number limits and the level of metagaming what eve has.

X Rebirth looks absolutely promising as a single player game and this will be one of the games I will play while sitting on a titan (Evil) but it wouldn't work as an MMo with the scale what eve can deliver. It would lagg the hell out and it would be absolutely unplayable.

On the other hand I don't understand why CCP haven't tried implementing dogfights with some kind of instanced system where we can see some kind of dogfight effect on the grid when fighters are engaging while they actually fight in an instance separated from the main grid's server. I think something like that would be possible to implement. I really hope EVR won't be an individual game and CCP will try to integrate it into EVE somehow.

It would be good for new players too. They could have fun with dogfights while they are limited by low SP.
Demica Diaz
SE-1
#43 - 2013-08-17 16:42:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Demica Diaz
Calypso Warsmith wrote:

CCP started working on the next step in there grand space sim, (WIS) and got unholy rage about over priced vanity items.

Quite sure most people didnt like Nex / Golden Ammo and overall Aurum shenanigans. WiS would probably got different reception if we had ongoing ship balance and overall quality of life tweaks which we have now and small additions to WIS as we go along. Instead we got bombarded by monocles and stuff which made many angry. So its not community rage that holding back WiS, its how you implement WiS, and CCP did in my opinion not so good job in that.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#44 - 2013-08-17 16:48:57 UTC
Jake Warbird wrote:
X and Eve just don't compare. Both are different beasts altogether. Might I remind you people calling Eve too 'rigid, cramped, dated' that we had a 4k+ battle on grid a few weeks ago. Certain compromises have to be made to make an MMO and CCP have done it wonderfully well.

That battle involved only 10% of the players online at the moment. Don't you wonder what were doing the other 90%?

Quote:
That said people calling X as just 'eve inspired with eye candy and tacky graphics' are just wrong. I love Eve and X. Can't we all just get along?

EVE and X-Rebirth can get along... but I can only play 1 such game at a time, and I don't give a flying frag of nullsec. Neither did the other 40,000 players online during 6V. You can praise as much as you want the top who makes headlines, but that "elite" wouldn't exist without the foundation of people who mostly stay in hisec and mostly don't meddle into "core" gameplay if they can avoid to.

As I said, X-Rebirth aims at the foundation of the EVE playerbase, the wide majority of hiseccers who are in it for the complexity and the challenge and don't care about nullsec and its limited endgame content.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#45 - 2013-08-17 17:04:39 UTC
The point I was trying to make was that 10% of the entire population of a game came together and interacted with each other in the same instance. Not many games can boast that.

Eventually I would like to be a part of something that actually brought about change in the gameverse I played in, rather than rescue the damsel for the hundredth time. That's what Eve does well. If you don't care about nullsec, Eve is fine with that too. I'm not taking sides here, just different reasons why we play the same game.
Solhild
Doomheim
#46 - 2013-08-17 17:06:01 UTC
Demica Diaz wrote:
Calypso Warsmith wrote:

Quite sure most people didnt like Nex / Golden Ammo and overall Aurum shenanigans. WiS would probably got different reception if we had ongoing ship balance and overall quality of life tweaks which we have now and small additions to WIS as we go along. Instead we got bombarded by monocles and stuff which made many angry. So its not community rage that holding back WiS, its how you implement WiS, and CCP did in my opinion not so good job in that.

Quoted for truth. Monocles and other things are all good but should be built in game by players, and ideally should have some implant-like effect on your clone rather than a cheap vanity related attempt to milk the cash cow.
Gaellia Bonaventure
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#47 - 2013-08-17 17:39:16 UTC
Vera Algaert wrote:

Maybe EVE would recover from a transition away from spreadsheets towards a higher level of immersion but it would hurt CCP massively in the short term.

Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen, ever. Although, I would argue that it should.

EVE is first and foremost an economic simulator. It's a great economic simulator, don't get me wrong. But spreadsheets are the core of the game. CCP has never shown any deliberate inclination to move away from that core gameplay style. But I do think the player base would be receptive to even more immersion. Big smile

Bring your possibles.

GreenSeed
#48 - 2013-08-17 18:00:36 UTC  |  Edited by: GreenSeed
im not advocating to leaving the spreadsheets in space for star citizen combat, the reason is simple, after almost a century and countless millions spent on R&D, we still haven't come up with a better way to present information other than tables. so in that regard EVE is perfect, moving to any other type of gameplay will leave any EVE player feeling lost and wondering why in the future, in a combat situation, where awareness is the difference between life and death. information is presented as clumped up icons floating in space instead of in an organized way in a table. Blink

and yes, its a single player game, X always has been. but my point is X has a "wow" factor EVE lost 7 years ago. I've met dozes of newbies on CAS whom I've helped to set up POSes, because they were determined to have it. the result? they were completely underwhelmed.

if it doesn't affect anyone else in the game, and gives you valuable things to shoot at, why not letting the newbies play "space fort" with a bunch of POS modules? it is by far the main draw of lowsec. mining your own moon, even if you barely break even at the end of the month is the game many want to play. because that's what a space game is about, and in those regards eve is extremely limited.

i would argue that the combat aspect of eve is great, compared to anything else. even games like the X series have a crap combat system where all you do is shoot and hope the target dies first. eve is much more complicated, with doctrines, counters, lots of cheese strategies, and whole lot of metagame. even something silly like offlining a plate can make a cruiser orbit an attack battlecruiser close enough to nullify dps. can you make that tactical decision on star citizen? no you can't.

but when it comes to industry, exploration, or just plain science fiction, the game is severely lacking. totally dated, and worst of all, boring. (missions anyone?)

so long as POSes are nothing but factory and research slots in space, no one will be drawn to them. and my thread is in response to a fairly polemic DEV blog a year ago, saying taht updating the POS system was a waste or resources, because it was too hard.

we are playing a game where in the last five years not one addition has been made that changed not just a module, a % bonus on a ship, but the way the game works. the reason is simple, the back end is a mess of hacks and patches that everyone is scared to mess with, and that tangled up mess wont get any easier to disentangle as time goes by.

if CCP doesn't feel they have the "political capital" to pull it off, then we as players have to show that we are willing to make sacrifices to see development time invested in updating it.
Dalmont Delantee
Gecko Corp
#49 - 2013-08-17 18:01:23 UTC
Definitely won't break eve, single ship, walky roundy bits....it will have some people playing for a couple of weeks until they come back basically.
GreenSeed
#50 - 2013-08-17 18:03:45 UTC
in mot saying it will kill eve, i'm saying eve should draw ideas from it. eve isn't going anywhere.
Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#51 - 2013-08-17 18:17:36 UTC
OMG, do want.

Naow.

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#52 - 2013-08-17 18:20:02 UTC
Caviar Liberta wrote:
Looks like a mesh of BSG, Eve Online, Blade Runner and most futuristic space based sci-movies.

That doesn't mean it can't still be good, though.

I mean, let's be realistic here:

EVE-O itself is basically a pastiche of a great many old, old sci-fi tropes, but that doesn't prevent it from still being great.

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#53 - 2013-08-17 19:37:17 UTC
Dalmont Delantee wrote:
Definitely won't break eve, single ship, walky roundy bits....it will have some people playing for a couple of weeks until they come back basically.

Don't feel too bad, but people still are playing X3: Albion Prelude, which is a DLC for X3: Terran Conflict, which was a DLC based on the massive X-Tended mod 0.7 for X3: Reunion.

So essentially people has been playing X3 for 7 years, and some have bought it 3 times (original + TC + AP).

Also, 6 years later, the trailer for X-Tended mod 0.7 still is one of the best you will see in your life.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#54 - 2013-08-17 19:57:40 UTC
Abyss Azizora wrote:
That aside... They have gameplay depth that Eve can only wish for, but that's largely due to the Singleplayer/MMO barrier.

Say what? In what way is the X-series gameplay “deep”?
voetius
Grundrisse
#55 - 2013-08-17 20:28:39 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Abyss Azizora wrote:
That aside... They have gameplay depth that Eve can only wish for, but that's largely due to the Singleplayer/MMO barrier.

Matter of opinion but X isn't deep compared to a sandbox like Eve. I played X2 / X3-R for 1000+ hours and wrote guides for X3. X3 was the first game that actually impressed me with the graphics and it's a great game but it's not and has no ambitions (that I know of) to be an MMO.

There is also the issue that FPS X- type games with "realistic" physics don't work in MMOs
Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#56 - 2013-08-17 21:49:39 UTC
X tries to simulate all that what we have in eve - complex environment - in single player. It will be one man's sandbox. Feel lonely already?
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#57 - 2013-08-17 22:04:14 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Abyss Azizora wrote:

You're right, it's totally simplistic, unsofisticate and a 5 year could play it. Nothing to see here, now buy that fourth account and train yet another alt and keep playing EVE like a Pro.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#58 - 2013-08-17 22:06:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
You're right, it's totally simplistic, unsofisticate and a 5 year could play it. Nothing to see here, now buy that fourth account and train yet another alt and keep playing EVE like a Pro.

Now try answering it without the sarcastic strawman, maybe?

How does the X series “have gameplay depth that Eve can only wish for”?
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#59 - 2013-08-17 22:19:43 UTC
Tippia wrote:

Now try answering it without the sarcastic strawman, maybe?

How does the X series “have gameplay depth that Eve can only wish for”?

You asked how X series gameplay was deep. It is not deep. People play it for hundreds of hours out of how unsofisticate it is.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#60 - 2013-08-17 22:28:50 UTC
You asked how X series gameplay was deep. It is not deep.
Ok. If you say so.
You haven't played it, I take it?