These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

So how's Odyssey exploration panning out?

Author
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#41 - 2013-08-23 13:16:01 UTC
Craterius wrote:
Frostys Virpio wrote:
So what many of you are saying is there is so many people doing exploration now that you can't fund yourself only out of that?

From a game dev perspective, that a success imo since it means more players are actually using the content.

Wrong.

This comment shows you have no idea why EvE has been an addictive, attractive game that has had thousands of players playing for multiple years.

Because EVE is the only game on the market that has been played for many years by thousands of players like addicts? There are definately not any easyer/less niche games that were succesful at doing this right.
Alistair Cononach
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#42 - 2013-08-25 04:51:41 UTC
Having been away from EVE for a while, I found the changes to Probing to be generally good ideas.

I like the attempt to add complxity and interactivity to sites (i.e. more than just F1) via the minigame.

What I really, truly, don't like is the way the loot of a success works.

Perhaps I have finally just got too old, but I find the small cans difficult to click on reliably, and the despawn rate to be very quick for me. So even when I succeed (about 50% or just under thus far, and yes, I know thats not very good. Part low skills, part low-skilled me) I miss 60-7% of the cans.

Exploring, in hostile 0.0 space, being always wary, cloaking up, etc. really isn;t worth it vs. doing Comabt Sites, when the two or three loot cans I can click on contain a few bits of salvage and a few bits of carbon, and the rest simply evaporates.

I'd suggest a change to a few containers spawning that do not despawn at all, but must be looted like normal cans.
Orlacc
#43 - 2013-08-25 05:02:43 UTC
Alistair Cononach wrote:
Having been away from EVE for a while, I found the changes to Probing to be generally good ideas.

I like the attempt to add complxity and interactivity to sites (i.e. more than just F1) via the minigame.

What I really, truly, don't like is the way the loot of a success works.

Perhaps I have finally just got too old, but I find the small cans difficult to click on reliably, and the despawn rate to be very quick for me. So even when I succeed (about 50% or just under thus far, and yes, I know thats not very good. Part low skills, part low-skilled me) I miss 60-7% of the cans.

Exploring, in hostile 0.0 space, being always wary, cloaking up, etc. really isn;t worth it vs. doing Comabt Sites, when the two or three loot cans I can click on contain a few bits of salvage and a few bits of carbon, and the rest simply evaporates.

I'd suggest a change to a few containers spawning that do not despawn at all, but must be looted like normal cans.

I an older than you. I took the time to check things out before complaining.

Here: http://neural-boost.com/minicontainer-loot-distribution

And here: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=244165

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Toddfish
Multiplex Gaming
Tactical Narcotics Team
#44 - 2013-08-26 15:27:06 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
So what many of you are saying is there is so many people doing exploration now that you can't fund yourself only out of that?

From a game dev perspective, that a success imo since it means more players are actually using the content.

The closest analogy I can think of would be changing the bounties of rats to scale with the amount killed in an empire over time. Imagine how mission and null sec anom runners would respond to that... at what point would people just stop killing rats all together?

I have absolutely zero problem with more people running exploration sites. While I don't like people competing directly with me for finding sites, it just requires me to become better and more efficient at my profession.

What I have a problem with is that the profitability of exploration (data/relic) sites are solely based on market dynamics. The huge increase in supply (created with Odyssey's release), without a similar increase in demand (capital rigs?), has caused a crash of the markets. Now there is very little money to be made (ISK/hr) from exploration relative to alternatives.

Pre-Odyssey the Devs put effort into tuning the drop rates based on the markets, but the previous value of items is nowhere close to where they are now. Sites that once dropped between 60-180m ISK are now consistently 20-30m ISK (with similar type/quantity of loot).

Personally, I think the best fix for this issue is to include loot that is purchased by NPC buyers for a fixed amount of ISK. Tweak the drop rates and value to tune the "base" value of a site (scaled by difficulty, etc.) and then have other items (salvage, data cores, BPC's, etc.) as the "wildcards". Much the way combat sites are handled with having Officer's Effects and Faction/Deadspace items.
Lucas Irvam
The Anodyne Consortium
#45 - 2013-08-26 17:38:46 UTC
The worst part about these post-Odyssey 'What do you guys think of exploration?' threads is that half of the responses are from folks who clearly never explored with any consistency prior to the update, all gushing about the idea that they suddently got much better at exploring, and the other half are from actual explorers that respond with a sort of sullen post-mortem on something that could have been saved if CCP had listened to its playerbase.

Seriously, the test server forum threadnaught for Odyssey got up to something like 80 pages, and nearly every single post was vitriolic disbelief that they'd consider these changes an 'update' to exploration as a profession (with the notable exception of launching all probes at once). CCP chose, for whatever reasons, to ignore the feedback, and what we have is an iphone game of fruit ninja in space, clicking on lootspew for %25 of the income that was possible before the changes.

The fix doesn't require any additional features, no extravagant and complicated overthought, and it doesn't require a dev team - simply reverse every single change except the ability to launch all probes at once, and call it a day.

Rats back in profession sites so that people can't zip around in cheap, invisible frigates that present almost no risk. Removal of the minigames (or at the very least, the lootspew - people seem divided on the hacking minigame). No system scan when gating in, automatically throwing every sig in the zone into your face, perhaps the most un-exploration thing ever. Reduce the scan strengths to what they were prior, so that exploration requires an actual time investment when skilling up.

I think CCP got so caught up in making sure newer players could 'get into' exploration that they accidentally broke the incentive for those same players to stick with it as a profession long-term. It's all pipe dreams at this point, obviously, which makes me just as ridiculous as anyone else in this thread - the only thing less likely than CCP implementing brand new mechanics and features to adjust exploration is the idea that they'd admit Odyssey was a huge mistake for the profession and take it all back. Depressing.
Guttripper
State War Academy
Caldari State
#46 - 2013-08-26 20:14:50 UTC
Excellent reply Lucas Irvam. A +1 for your post!
auraofblade
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#47 - 2013-08-27 23:51:48 UTC
Mnemosyne Gloob wrote:
After Odissey hit, there is something that is itching me. It is not the price of decryptors and also not the price of salvage, but the price of deadspace mods that i am accustomed to - namely the medium shield stuff. It's all dropping in price. (only thing that has remained somewhat stable is a-type invul)

At first i attributed it to summer 'draught', that meaning not many people online and the market having not much incentive to buy. I am however not anymore convinced that this is the reason why prices are falling that much. After the ban of strategic cruisers from 4/10 complexes and the removal of deep space scanner probes (yea i know you can do sorta the same still), i honestly would have expected the prices to go up - but it is not so, they are 'crashing'.

So really i dont understand it at this moment. Either the overall easyness of scanning (you can scan systems way faster now) has 'produced' more drops, or there is something else going on. I could imagine some long term marketing schenanigans, but it seems kinda risky to me. I could also see that the overall attention that exploration has gotten after the last patch is influencing supply/demand (again not talking about relics and datas). And then there might be tweaking of chances on the side of CCP, but i dont really want to get into that.

So yea currently i am leaning towards thinking that scanning is easier, that some market stuff is going on and also that shield modules might actually become less 'interesting'.

Other than that - minigame is fun for a bit, but not so long. The removal of rats from those sites - namely nullsec is imo just not right.

Well, I do know that Deadspace Boosters/Reps are getting a "relative nerf" in the form of everything else getting buffed, so that might have something to do with the steadily dropping prices - they honestly didn't dip until the announcement was made.
Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#48 - 2013-08-29 00:01:17 UTC
Hehaw Jimbojohnson wrote:
Pretty much everyone that tried it on the test server repeatedly told them to not go live with the new "exploration" in its current state. CCP, being CCP, ignored everyone and released with it half finished anyway. Exploration as a profession pretty much crashed as a result, and probably won't be recovered for years at this point.

The "good" CCP was fun while it lasted, but now we're back to the usual.

The loot can pukie-pukie is beyond stupid, and how the f am I supposed to re-size the mini-game window so I can actually see the rest of my screen --you know local + D-Scan-- in losec?

Oh, that's right, I can't.

Idiots.

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Craterius
Symple Onez
#49 - 2013-09-06 06:17:35 UTC
Lucas Irvam:

You have hit the nail on the head. Actually, several of them.

The complete lack of concern with which CCP is dismantling EvE in a headlong rush to dumb it down as completely and quickly as possible is a symptom of one of two possibilities:

1. CCP remains in such severe financial trouble from its mistakes of two years ago (when it very publicly had to fire 20% of its employees) that the leadership is desperate to try anything that might increase revenue in the short term, irregardless of long term consequences.

or,

2. Those calling the shots at CCP really do not know what their own game is. I would bet a cheeseburger the CEO has never played Eve seriously, but has spent a lot of time salivating over the bonuses paid to executives producing WoW.

Innately Awesome
Princess Luna Personal Battalion
#50 - 2013-09-08 13:35:10 UTC
I believe that Odyssey's exploration revamp was one of the most successful things CCP has done in ages.

It used to be boring, difficult and the least popular aspect of the game.

Now it is fun, it is easy and it is more profitable than L4/anomalies/insert other carebear activity. In other words, it made the game better.

The fact that a very tiny amount of people was making trillions by engaging in the most boring activity in game does not mean that it is the way its meant to be in a good game. Of course they are whining on the forums now that their source of income has become available for everyone else.
Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#51 - 2013-09-09 18:22:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaivar Lancer
The mini-game is too luck-based. The first few times were interesting in a novel way, but now has become repetitive, and you can only hope that you don't run into a "nightmare" defence node configuration where you open 2+ restoration nodes. There's not much you can do except hope. :(
Lucas Irvam
The Anodyne Consortium
#52 - 2013-09-09 22:33:50 UTC
Innately Awesome wrote:
The fact that a very tiny amount of people was making trillions by engaging in the most boring activity in game does not mean that it is the way its meant to be in a good game. Of course they are whining on the forums now that their source of income has become available for everyone else.

Wow, where to start:

The income was always available to everyone who was willing to train and plan around it. All they did with the changes was lower the skill requirements. Prior to Odyssey, anyone could explore, but doing so with astrometric skills at lvl 3 would have meant you were very slow and less efficient. Astro V was almost always advised, for DSP's. Yes, it took longer to train, and yes, you needed combat skills and specific ships to get serious with it. It separated the folks who truly wanted to pursue it as a full-time profession from the folks who didn't. Is that really any different from any other profession skillplan in the game?

As a result of the influx, no, the income hasn't become available for everyone else. The income has dropped dramatically, because the 'gold rush' saturated the market with decryptors, datacores, and T2 salvage. Again, still decent ISK for the folks with astro skills at III's, but it's nowhere near what they would have made if they'd seriously pursued exploration before CCP decided that no one should have to skill for or learn about exploration in order to be successful at it.

And I'm sorry, but boring activity? What exactly did Odyssey implement that made it more exciting? Prior to the update, in order to make decent ISK in lowsec I would be risking a fair chunk of ISK on either an all-in-one explorer boat or a couple of combat ships, mashing D-scan in a hostile system to make sure the local pirates weren't bearing down on me, while dealing with rats that may or may not spawn on warp-in and/or hacking failure. After Odyssey, you have inexpensive cloaked scanning ships with little or no risk farming sites with no opposition - are you really trying to say that replacing actual risk with smartphone minigames made it more exciting?
Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#53 - 2013-09-10 06:54:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaivar Lancer
I was about to complete my third relic / data site for today but gave up when my index finger began to ache from the MINDLESS CLICKING of this so-called "mini-game". Each board consists of 9 x 9 nodes, so 81 nodes. Usually you won't find the system node until towards the end, so we're looking at 50+ clicks per SUCCESSFUL attempt. If you fail, you can multiply that by two.

So for each site, we're looking at 300-600 clicks within the space of 15 minutes. You're almost clicking the mouse continuously each second. I can't imagine anyone doing this for more than a few hours before they stop due to physical discomfort

This is just terribly designed. A mildly intellectual game like a jigsaw puzzle would've been okay, but this current luck-based "mini-game" is just an exercise in finger stamina and pain.
Ciaphas Cyne
Moira.
#54 - 2013-09-12 06:07:02 UTC
screw pvp... the tears that are flowing here are enough to last a lifetime

keep complaining about your ISK loss, its highly amusing

CCP, keep making this game entertaining, challenging, and socially dependent. The people who are here to play a game and have fun dont give two cares about the loot we get for doing something.

"buff only the stuff I fly and nerf everything else"

• you
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#55 - 2013-09-12 12:38:50 UTC
Ciaphas Cyne wrote:
CCP, keep making this game entertaining, challenging, and socially dependent.

the new exploration system is none of the above.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#56 - 2013-09-12 14:32:01 UTC
Lucas Irvam wrote:
The worst part about these post-Odyssey 'What do you guys think of exploration?' threads is that half of the responses are from folks who clearly never explored with any consistency prior to the update, all gushing about the idea that they suddently got much better at exploring, and the other half are from actual explorers that respond with a sort of sullen post-mortem on something that could have been saved if CCP had listened to its playerbase.

Seriously, the test server forum threadnaught for Odyssey got up to something like 80 pages, and nearly every single post was vitriolic disbelief that they'd consider these changes an 'update' to exploration as a profession (with the notable exception of launching all probes at once). CCP chose, for whatever reasons, to ignore the feedback, and what we have is an iphone game of fruit ninja in space, clicking on lootspew for %25 of the income that was possible before the changes.

The fix doesn't require any additional features, no extravagant and complicated overthought, and it doesn't require a dev team - simply reverse every single change except the ability to launch all probes at once, and call it a day.

Rats back in profession sites so that people can't zip around in cheap, invisible frigates that present almost no risk. Removal of the minigames (or at the very least, the lootspew - people seem divided on the hacking minigame). No system scan when gating in, automatically throwing every sig in the zone into your face, perhaps the most un-exploration thing ever. Reduce the scan strengths to what they were prior, so that exploration requires an actual time investment when skilling up.

I think CCP got so caught up in making sure newer players could 'get into' exploration that they accidentally broke the incentive for those same players to stick with it as a profession long-term. It's all pipe dreams at this point, obviously, which makes me just as ridiculous as anyone else in this thread - the only thing less likely than CCP implementing brand new mechanics and features to adjust exploration is the idea that they'd admit Odyssey was a huge mistake for the profession and take it all back. Depressing.

+1

I still can't believe they sold this as the major part of the 'expansion'.

Not today spaghetti.

Baggo Hammers
#57 - 2013-09-12 16:27:19 UTC
CCP needs to make "Tier 2" profession sites that require more skill and have rats. Or at least the threat of rats.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#58 - 2013-09-12 19:17:22 UTC
Lucas Irvam wrote:

The income was always available to everyone who was willing to train and plan around it. All they did with the changes was lower the skill requirements. Prior to Odyssey, anyone could explore, but doing so with astrometric skills at lvl 3 would have meant you were very slow and less efficient. Astro V was almost always advised, for DSP's. Yes, it took longer to train, and yes, you needed combat skills and specific ships to get serious with it. It separated the folks who truly wanted to pursue it as a full-time profession from the folks who didn't. Is that really any different from any other profession skillplan in the game?

That was also a negative aprt of exploration before the change. While requiring good skills to find the best sites is something that makes sense, low skill pilot would have a hard time pinpointing anything. Many people would of started the exploration and found nothing. Then what? Train more? Read more about it? Those were basicly the 2 option. Nothing inside the game was really telling you what you were doing wrong even on the most basic signatures. They might have data that show many people were trying the super interesting experience of exploring and then quit it because low skill was useless.

Right now I agree it was skewed way too much in favor of making it accessible but I cannot say the change didn't have anything good. Finding the best sites should be harder than now but some of the lowest sites should stay as they are now. Make some signatures impossible to pinpoint witl low skill if needed so they skills become more usefull but let the beginning of the curve lower so that people actually see what exploration is about. Actually finding something is more interesting that seeing a bunch of 23% sigs you can never pinpoint because you only invested 2 days in training while 2 days of training in combat ships will actually let you combat stuff, 2 days of mining training will let you mine, etc...
Mnemosyne Gloob
#59 - 2013-09-12 20:27:52 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
That was also a negative aprt of exploration before the change. While requiring good skills to find the best sites is something that makes sense, low skill pilot would have a hard time pinpointing anything. Many people would of started the exploration and found nothing. Then what? Train more? Read more about it? Those were basicly the 2 option. Nothing inside the game was really telling you what you were doing wrong even on the most basic signatures. They might have data that show many people were trying the super interesting experience of exploring and then quit it because low skill was useless.

When i started playing EVE (you still had to move each probe manually at that time), i hopped into t1 scanning frigate with a codebreaker after like 2-3 days of training and looked for radar sites in highsec. Sure i couldnt pin all sites, but enough to get some nice money for such a young character from finding decryptors. I doubt that it is a rewarding activity now, however.

So what you are saying is just not true. Sure i couldn't find and do all, but i was young and i accepted that - as an analogy, do you think a manufacturer just starting out should be able to build capital ships or tech2 stuff without investing training time in skills? Surely you cannot think that.

It is also, in my opinion, a good thing that there are areas of gameplay where you are not 'spoonfed' what to do. It's called Exploration and part of that is figuring out stuff, like how to get to the juicy modules. For instance when i hear someone crying 'howto blitz site xxx', i am sometimes a bit mad and tell them to find out by experimenting with shooting different stuff, because after all even if for most sites the triggers are widely known and easily searchable, someone had to figure that out at some point - and they were the real explorers.
Craterius
Symple Onez
#60 - 2013-09-13 06:36:17 UTC
I do not believe turning Eve exploration into a Mario Bros knock-off was accidental.

Note, on the test server CCP ignored 80 pages of "vitriolic disbelief" that CCP would consider these changes to be an "update" of exploration.

Why?

The reason is that CCP has bet the farm on Dust 514. The current CEO's job and bonuses depend on his being right that it would be profitable to meld EvE with a bunch of 12 year olds playing an FPS on the PS3.

So, dumbing down exploration is one way to make EvE something the 12-year old shooters will play. Like fruit ninja, or the latest version of EvE exploration. What the existing EvE community thinks of this is completely irrelevant to CCP, as we do not figure in to their long term plans.
Previous page123