These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey 1.1] Command Ships

First post First post First post
Author
Blue Absinthe
Wardec U
#1161 - 2013-08-09 13:12:07 UTC
Any chance of making the turret tracking on the the EOS generic and not hybrid specific?
Eldrith Jhandar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1162 - 2013-08-09 14:35:12 UTC
Yes I have used the current eos in small gangs, it's bad :p

But yes it deserves the 7th low, it gets a single standard bonus to drone damage, while other ships are getting things like double 10% damage and 7.5% damage and rof

With 1 magstab the Astarte does over 1k dps, with a single drone damage amp, an eos does less dps than an Astarte with no mag stabs... Lol? With drones meant for hitting bs's and bc's

Astarte with full tank, no magstabs with 2 hams an void neutrons gets 870 dps
1 magstab 1012
2 magstab 1166
3 magstab 1277

Eos with 4 void neutrons and 5 ogre 2's
702 dps
1 dda 812
2 dda 929
3 dda 1021

That is not balanced, especially when u realize the eos can only use 2 flights of heavies and nothing else, destroy them and lol
It's a good step in the right direction but the eos needs another low
5/5/7. Move a high to a mid and add a low
Leave the current bonuses and gun slots
Make it interesting compared to the others while being balanced
Dav Varan
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#1163 - 2013-08-09 14:41:12 UTC
Eldrith Jhandar wrote:

But yes it deserves the 7th low, it gets a single standard bonus to drone damage, while other ships are getting things like double 10% damage and 7.5% damage and rof

With 1 magstab the Astarte does over 1k dps, with a single drone damage amp, an eos does less dps than an Astarte with no mag stabs... Lol? With drones meant for hitting bs's and bc's

1 magstab 1012
2 magstab 1166
3 magstab 1277

702 dps
1 dda 812
2 dda 929
3 dda 1021

That is not balanced, especially when u realize the eos can only use 2 flights of heavies and nothing else, destroy them and lol

Drones are not short range.
Please compare to a rail astarte.
Eldrith Jhandar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1164 - 2013-08-09 14:47:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Eldrith Jhandar
Dav Varan wrote:
Eldrith Jhandar wrote:

1 magstab 1012
2 magstab 1166
3 magstab 1277

702 dps
1 dda 812
2 dda 929
3 dda 1021

Please use heavy drones and realize how slow they are, and how easy it is to kill them when u can't scoop up up from blaster range, even with the nice buff to heavy drone speed ogres are laughably slow, you need to web and be in blaster range to use them

Edit: even if they were fast enough, current drone so makes it so they will always end up with weird loops putting them way out of optimal, mitigating a lot of the damage, only way to avoid that is by webbing, also
Heavy drones require webbing
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1165 - 2013-08-09 15:14:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Mournful Conciousness
Dav Varan wrote:

Clearly sir, you have only used heavy drones in PVE.

The are absolutely short range only. You absolutely have to have webbed your target for them to even to stay near him, and in a small-scale skirmish they are the absolutely target of choice for your enemy since he know that once they are dead you can't hurt him at all. Thus, you have to be within 2.5km of them at all times so you can recall them the moment they receive the slightest brush of damage.

Sentry drones are medium range (aka railguns), or long range on a ship with the specific range bonus (the Dominix).

Unfortunately, sentry drones suck (to a degree) for skirmish PVP (this ship's apparent role) because once you've deployed them you either can't move (i.e. not skirmishing) or you have to kiss goodbye to 5M isk and half your offensive capability when you leave them behind.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1166 - 2013-08-09 15:24:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Mournful Conciousness
raawe wrote:

Actually almost ALL laser amarr ships have one bonus less then ship of the same class from different race, it's absurd. Oh you will say now but lazors can instant swap ammo big optimal bla bla i don't care. The point is we need fitting bonus to make them usable and then we lack one normal bonus. And don't get me started on fixed damage type we can't do nothing about. I wonder how many people would go mad when suddenly all hybrid weapons would need bonus like that instead of +X% damage or something similar. CCP should make some fixes to lasers, while used on amarr ships to use less cap or some special bonus on hulls. Anyone watched alliance tournament. There was like 5 lasers altogether, i wonder why....

What you say has some merit, but lasers do have one specific advantage in pvp in that they can apply full damage at a longer range than any other gunnery system.

It's fairly obvious to me that the slot layouts of amarr ships suggest that they are designed to work in fleets, and in such groups they are deadly well beyond blaster and autocannon ranges (ignoring the machariel for a moment).

This is a huge advantage and reinforces the traditional Eve doctrine of:
Gallente : I can only hit you in scram range, but it's going to be hard
Minmatarr: I can hit you pretty hard in disruptor range and you find it hard to hit me back
Amarr: We can blap you from beyond your sorry inferior projectile gun ranges
Caldari: We can bombard you from 200km with our mega-missiles and there's no way you're hitting us back because we have scorpions. PWND!

For the record, I tend to fly gallente. It means I have to pick my fights and set them up carefully, but if I do my preparation and don't miss something, I tend to win - mostly. Pirate

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Heribeck Weathers
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1167 - 2013-08-09 15:32:01 UTC
I think amarrs main disadvantage is that they are so slow that they dont often get to keep enemys at their superior optimal where they have a advantage, great for saying stay back kity Mimatar but not much else., I htink they need to have more mid slots for Ewar to make up for this, but sadly amarr are the most mid slot deficiant race.
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#1168 - 2013-08-09 15:50:58 UTC
Dav Varan wrote:

Stop posting
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#1169 - 2013-08-09 15:53:39 UTC
Mournful Conciousness wrote:

For the record, I tend to fly gallente. It means I have to pick my fights and set them up carefully, but if I do my preparation and don't miss something, I tend to win - mostly. Pirate

This is a very accurate depiction of gallente solo/small scale pvp. The ships are rather strait forward once you get them into their desired range, however getting the fight exactly where you want it takes some preparation.
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1170 - 2013-08-09 15:55:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Mournful Conciousness
Heribeck Weathers wrote:
I think amarrs main disadvantage is that they are so slow that they dont often get to keep enemys at their superior optimal where they have a advantage, great for saying stay back kity Mimatar but not much else., I htink they need to have more mid slots for Ewar to make up for this, but sadly amarr are the most mid slot deficiant race.

I agree. And it's right and good that every race has a disadvantage to go along with their advantages. It means you have to think and work out how to fill the holes of your own fleet's weaknesses while exploiting those of your opponents.

Gallente take withering fire while getting in range so arrive already damaged.
Minmatar skirmishers are f**ked if they get scrammed.
Amarr want to keep ships at range and have to work hard to do it.
Caldari... well, the challenge for them is to stop people simply bouncing off a celestial and onto their position.

These offsetting advantages and disadvantages work together to make Eve the complex, rich and rewarding game we all love, right?

SOL Ranger
Imperial Armed Forces
#1171 - 2013-08-09 16:03:38 UTC
Veshta Yoshida wrote:

*snip*
Oh God, not range ..
*snip*

It was mostly meant as a *placeholder* with a bonus of some actual use rather than the patchwerk bandaid laser bonus of cap use.
I get what you're saying and I agree to an extent in the current state of affairs, however that is mostly a result from the problem with scorch and not in the low value or lack of use for an optimal bonus in general.

What I'm saying is, the bonus could very well be optimal range when scorch gets fixed, with the medium long range weapon rebalance I would hope that day is soon to come however I'm not holding my breath.

A tracking bonus or nearly anything else would be a better choice, optimal range would be one of the weakest possible however at the same time also one of the most fitting as such since the energy turret capacitor use skill would be implemented at the same time.

TL;DR

But yes, in short I agree it is not ideal.

The Vargur requires launcher hardpoints, following tempest tradition.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#1172 - 2013-08-09 16:22:23 UTC
Dav Varan wrote:

Clearly sir, you have only used heavy drones in PVE.

The are absolutely short range only. You absolutely have to have webbed your target for them to even to stay near him, and in a small-scale skirmish they are the absolutely target of choice for your enemy since he know that once they are dead you can't hurt him at all. Thus, you have to be within 2.5km of them at all times so you can recall them the moment they receive the slightest brush of damage.

Sentry drones are medium range (aka railguns), or long range on a ship with the specific range bonus (the Dominix).

Unfortunately, sentry drones suck (to a degree) for skirmish PVP (this ship's apparent role) because once you've deployed them you either can't move (i.e. not skirmishing) or you have to kiss goodbye to 5M isk and half your offensive capability when you leave them behind.

I'd still like a high slot module, basically a modified tractor beam, that when activated would grab your normally stationary sentry drones and drag them into position around your ship... holding them in a group around you while you move.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

SOL Ranger
Imperial Armed Forces
#1173 - 2013-08-09 16:28:45 UTC
Lephia DeGrande wrote:

*mindless trolling*

... Please we dont need Special Race Skills...

Extended Magazine holds(5x) - Increases the number of charges your weapons can hold by 5%.

Would you be willing to trade for this or are you just being unreasonable?

The Vargur requires launcher hardpoints, following tempest tradition.

Heribeck Weathers
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1174 - 2013-08-09 16:49:14 UTC
Heribeck Weathers wrote:

I agree. And it's right and good that every race has a disadvantage to go along with their advantages. It means you have to think and work out how to fill the holes of your own fleet's weaknesses while exploiting those of your opponents.

Gallente take withering fire while getting in range so arrive already damaged.
Minmatar skirmishers are f**ked if they get scrammed.
Amarr want to keep ships at range and have to work hard to do it.
Caldari... well, the challenge for them is to stop people simply bouncing off a celestial and onto their position.

These offsetting advantages and disadvantages work together to make Eve the complex, rich and rewarding game we all love, right?

Interestingly enough Gallente used to be almost as slow as amarr but have recently been getting speed buff in large propotions brining them closer to mimatar lvls, greatly reducing their disadvantage for getting in close, especialy when they only usualy have to burn say 15-25k to get a scram on where they then have an overwhelming dps advantage even if 30% of their tank is already gone. Not saying thsi is bad but just that amarr could overcome some of their weakness eventualy.

Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1175 - 2013-08-09 16:56:49 UTC
Heribeck Weathers wrote:

Interestingly enough Gallente used to be almost as slow as amarr but have recently been getting speed buff in large propotions brining them closer to mimatar lvls, greatly reducing their disadvantage for getting in close, especialy when they only usualy have to burn say 15-25k to get a scram on where they then have an overwhelming dps advantage even if 30% of their tank is already gone. Not saying thsi is bad but just that amarr could overcome some of their weakness eventualy.

Yes, this was a most welcome change. Prior to this, Gallente were the worst and most underused PVP ships in the game, bar none.

The speed increase has also incidentally affected Amarr ships because of the new honeycombing skill and the fact that active armour tanking rigs now nerf powergrid rather than speed.

I know, I know... no-one active armour tanks (except me in a hyperion because I like a challenge). But that's perhaps being solved by the new buffs to local reppers. We'll see.

Maximus Andendare
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#1176 - 2013-08-09 17:03:05 UTC
raawe wrote:
Actually almost ALL laser amarr ships have one bonus less then ship of the same class from different race, it's absurd. Oh you will say now but lazors can instant swap ammo big optimal bla bla i don't care. The point is we need fitting bonus to make them usable and then we lack one normal bonus. And don't get me started on fixed damage type we can't do nothing about. I wonder how many people would go mad when suddenly all hybrid weapons would need bonus like that instead of +X% damage or something similar. CCP should make some fixes to lasers, while used on amarr ships to use less cap or some special bonus on hulls. Anyone watched alliance tournament. There was like 5 lasers altogether, i wonder why....
Actually, I'd not mind the fitting bonus on Amarr ships IF lasers were as they were originally intended: They were intended to have better innate stats that the other weapons systems (better damage/tracking/damage modifiers, etc.) at the cost of really high cap use. To balance it out, and prevent other races from all fitting the innately-better lasers, Amarr ships would have bonuses to cap use to keep the lasers under control and because lasers wouldn't need "traditional" tracking or damage bonuses due to their built-in advantages. Further, the capacitor was sort of the Amarr's "ammo." Lasers could fire for much longer on Amarr ships, but they weren't intended to fire forever (especially since their actual crystal ammo lasted forever).

But, as the game evolved, this philosophy seems to have been somewhat diminished, and lasers have become nerfed over time to be only slightly better than other weapons systems at certain things, while Amarr ships have lost the energy use bonuses and been compensated with more capacitor/recharge.

Lasers need to be restored to their original design intent. Make them stronger (tracking/damage/range/etc.) innately and then the cap use bonus begins to make sense again.

Enter grid and you're already dead, destined to be reborn and fight another day.

>> Play Eve Online FREE! Join today for exclusive bonuses! <<

Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#1177 - 2013-08-09 17:07:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Jerick Ludhowe
Eldrith Jhandar wrote:

1 magstab 1012
2 magstab 1166
3 magstab 1277

702 dps
1 dda 812
2 dda 929
3 dda 1021

Very good post.

I however have had conflicting opinions on what to do with eos... If it's going to keep all of it's currently proposed bonuses, it most certainly needs another low. I personally would rather see it stay at it's current slot number and have it's tracking bonus swapped to an hp bonus, just like the damnation. This hp bonus would of course come with a reduction to the recent hp increase to the eos tho.

There seriously needs to be more distinction between the two ships as the current proposal makes the two ships even more similar than the myrmidon and brutix. Reasoning being that the myrmidon gets 5 mids allowing for dual cap injector making a tri rep possible, or dual web giving it superior range control and frigate pwnage inside of scram range when compared to the Brutix. These advantages are simply not present in the Eos vs Astarte comparison meaning that the Astarte is going to be better in pretty much every situation.

In the end, it comes down to this imo... Every race needs 1 small gang CS (sleipnir/astarte) and 1 fleet based ship with an hp bonus.
Lephia DeGrande
Luxembourg Space Union
#1178 - 2013-08-09 17:09:12 UTC
SOL Ranger wrote:
Lephia DeGrande wrote:

*mindless trolling*

... Please we dont need Special Race Skills...

Extended Magazine holds(5x) - Increases the number of charges your weapons can hold by 5%.

Would you be willing to trade for this or are you just being unreasonable?

Sry for breaking your Little Amarrian Heart, but you know Amarr is more then simply cap problems and give them a seperate Skill is just horrific, hell i Even dont like Burst Controlle give us another Cap Recharge Skill instead or we can start giving every single Race a seperate Skill to compensate every disadventage they have, yeah sounds legit.

And no i dont like this Skill because Amarr dont have any advantage from that Skill so its the same Problem just in green instead of blue.
Eldrith Jhandar
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1179 - 2013-08-09 17:34:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Eldrith Jhandar
Jerick Ludhowe wrote:
Eldrith Jhandar wrote:

1 magstab 1012
2 magstab 1166
3 magstab 1277

702 dps
1 dda 812
2 dda 929
3 dda 1021

Very good post.

I however have had conflicting opinions on what to do with eos... If it's going to keep all of it's currently proposed bonuses, it most certainly needs another low. I personally would rather see it stay aty it's current slot number and have it's tracking bonus swapped to an hp bonus, just like the damnation. This hp bonus would of course come with a reduction to the recent hp increase to the eos tho.

There seriously needs to be more distinction between the two ships as the current proposal makes the two ships even more similar than the myrmidon and brutix. Reasoning being that the myrmidon gets 5 mids allowing for dual cap injector making a tri rep possible, or dual web giving it superior range control and frigate pwnage inside of scram range when compared to the Brutix. These advantages are simply not present in the Eos vs Astarte comparison meaning that the Astarte is going to be better in pretty much every situation.

In the end, it comes down to this imo... Every race needs 1 small gang CS (sleipnir/astarte) and 1 fleet based ship with an hp bonus.

I don't know, I feel like my proposed 5/5/7 slot layout would make the eos/Astarte like the myrm/brutix different in different ways, but I do not like the 10% armor amount bonus, i used to like the idea but then u have to choose one bonus or the other, u either use the rep bonus or passive bonus not both like the damnation, and I'd rather have an active t2 myrm kinda thing, as long as there is an armor damnation and shield damnation, aka vulture or nighthawk needs that super brick can't touch this tank for ahield fleets

And the 10% armor wouldn't make it worth the -1 slot in my opinion

Edit: just to clarify of what I mean, as long as there is one damnation and a shield version, I think it'll be ok, I don't think every race needs a huge fleet cs, just as long as something is available, and since we have more passive tanked drone boats I'd like another active drone boat, only other active tanked drone boat is the myrm
Varesk
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1180 - 2013-08-09 17:35:25 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Maximus Andendare wrote:
Are you still happy with the Damnation's dual tank bonuses and how that effectively makes the Damnation the only viable fleet command ship?

I considered dropping the armor hp bonus from the Damnation, but in the end I think it's ok for it to have a strong identity, even if that identity makes it more popular than the others for large fleet warfare.

With your "rebalance" it will be the only ship used in big fleet fights. Thanks for making it a "niche' roll and making the other command ships worthless in nullsec.

gg.

will you be giving back all of that SP that people dropped in to command ships and links? you just made the year training for them pointless for nullsec.