These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Are Capsuleers definitively "Immortal" outside of their ships?

First post First post
Author
Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#21 - 2013-07-26 23:10:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Katrina Oniseki
No. You cannot be a DUST soldier and a Capsuleer at the same time. This is a stone tablet handed down from the mountain by CCP. It doesn't work that way. It won't work that way. You pick one or the other, but not both.

You don't get to swap between DUST clones and Capsule clones. There's more to both processes than simply shoving some metal in your head, and those processes and the way they work are not compatible.

The DUST implant cannot be removed without killing the person in question. The DUST implant is also not compatible with the capsule-clone growth process. It would probably show up as a massive tumor in your next clone if you tried to pod-scan with one of them inside you. It's also been suggested that the capsule implants take up the same physical locations inside the brain, or something of the sort. The hardware literally doesn't fit inside at the same time.

Katrina Oniseki

Tykari
The Observatory
#22 - 2013-07-27 01:29:24 UTC
Katrina Oniseki wrote:
No. You cannot be a DUST soldier and a Capsuleer at the same time. This is a stone tablet handed down from the mountain by CCP. It doesn't work that way. It won't work that way. You pick one or the other, but not both.

You don't get to swap between DUST clones and Capsule clones. There's more to both processes than simply shoving some metal in your head, and those processes and the way they work are not compatible.

The DUST implant cannot be removed without killing the person in question. The DUST implant is also not compatible with the capsule-clone growth process. It would probably show up as a massive tumor in your next clone if you tried to pod-scan with one of them inside you. It's also been suggested that the capsule implants take up the same physical locations inside the brain, or something of the sort. The hardware literally doesn't fit inside at the same time.

I know CCP has said as much and yet I can't help but wonder how much different they can be. Ok the Empire made versions of the implants may be not as advanced but the Sleeper version, the ones used by the First gens, is what allows Sleepers to plug in and live inside virtual realities so advanced they seem like the real thing. I find it very hard to believe that it would be impossible to create a few control interfaces to operate a ship that takes advantage of the same mechanics that allows one to enter a VR world. There has to be transfer of data happening to get the experiences from the VR environment, replace that with the data feeds ships send out. Afterall when a capsuleer plugs into a ship it's always described as becoming the ship in a way.

In this dark void we are like brilliant stars, holding within us both the creative and destructive power to bring a new dawn upon worlds or plunge them into eternal darkness.

Kourdus
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#23 - 2013-07-27 03:05:46 UTC
So, the overall verdict would be that Capsuleers are incredibly dangerous outside the Pod, but not immortal.
Esna Pitoojee
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#24 - 2013-07-28 02:07:42 UTC
Yeup, Kourdus.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#25 - 2013-07-28 04:42:10 UTC
Stitcher wrote:
pilots have access to expensive cybernetics, expensive weapons, expensive armour and gear, and if it comes to that, can afford to pay for an elite bodyguard. The pilot themselves may or may not be a dangerous combatant, but the two ex-megacorporate "Personnel Affairs Agents" with DUST implants in their heads and augmented muscles who are following them at a discrete distance in nice and anonymous, but capacious suits?

Bear in mind, in real life there is such a thing as armoured clothing, to be worn by politicians. It's good enough to stop a 9mm handgun at point blank range. and in the EVE world, we know dropsuits have shield emitters, maybe you can buy more discreet ones that operate under clothing.

So the scenario is: you attack the capsuleer. With their heightened cybernetic reflexes, they dodge the attack, or with their expensive armoured executive clothing and shield emitter belt they are spared the worst of it. An instant later their bodyguard have drawn scrambler pistols and you are now a microwave dinner. The capsuleer pays any fines and expenses to the station management and loses the miniscule cost in a cunning tax return the next time they sell a shipment of missile launchers. Your corpse is thrown in the biomass vats and used to fertilise the stations' hydroponics bay.

Were this to happen often, I'd expect a lot of those "Personnel Affairs Agents" to be involved in, uh, AWOXing.

Maybe that is what really happens when we biomass a character?

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Dobie Mercault
Special Admirer Philosophy Club
#26 - 2013-07-28 15:39:47 UTC
We know that there was cloning before capsules.
Therefore, presumably, there is very likely to still be cloning tech available outside of a capsule, even for a capsuleer.

Capsules are special because they're the combination of cloning and neural interfacing that allows a ship to be piloted more effectively.

It seems to be a common misconception that cloning is only as old as the capsule is, and that's what makes them special, but it's made repeatedly clear all throughout the lore that cloning has been around for a long, long time.

One distinction that might be drawn in types of cloning is how well memories are kept. In the capsule rebirth, you remember everything up to the moment of death. A non-capsule rebirth might only restore the memories that were "backed up" during the last brain scan, or whatever. Or there may be ways to "transfer" memories even while out of pod, as is suggested in at least one chronicle.

The point remains though; this tech exists. It had to have; it was the precursor to cloning tech - the same technology they based our eggs on.

Whatever the barriers to access "non-egg clone tech" might exist, be they financial, physical, whatever...a capsuleer is uniquely suited to overcome them. Need a different genetic code to use them? No problem? Super expensive? No issue. If average planet-dwellers can get access, a capsuleer should have little issue.

It all seems a very simple, straightforward question to me, and I don't see the ambiguity and uncertainty others talk of sometimes on this topic.
Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#27 - 2013-07-28 16:50:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Katrina Oniseki
Tykari wrote:

I know CCP has said as much and yet I can't help but wonder how much different they can be. Ok the Empire made versions of the implants may be not as advanced but the Sleeper version, the ones used by the First gens, is what allows Sleepers to plug in and live inside virtual realities so advanced they seem like the real thing. I find it very hard to believe that it would be impossible to create a few control interfaces to operate a ship that takes advantage of the same mechanics that allows one to enter a VR world. There has to be transfer of data happening to get the experiences from the VR environment, replace that with the data feeds ships send out. Afterall when a capsuleer plugs into a ship it's always described as becoming the ship in a way.

The capsule is made of Jovian tech, which our engineers only barely understand. The Jovians showed us exactly how to build an implant that works with their capsule, which is why we can use it.

The DUST implant is pretty much a carbon copy of Sleeper tech, which our engineers also scarcely understand. Without the Jovians helping us, I doubt we can get Sleeper tech to work with Jovian tech.

The hardware or information types themselves may not even work on a basic mechanical/programming level. Apples and oranges. Maybe there simply isn't some universal interface for the two to work together.

I get that you're trying to say it is possible it could work if you twist the lore, but if you're going to hazard an assumption like that, you also have to consider that it's possible it won't work. It's all fiction, and in the end you can make up any technobabble reason for it working or not working.

Unfortunately for us, the creators and owners of the fiction have already made their decision, and no amount of lore bending is going to work against that unless they decide otherwise.

Katrina Oniseki

Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#28 - 2013-07-29 01:57:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitcher
Katrina Oniseki wrote:
The capsule is made of Jovian tech, which our engineers only barely understand. The Jovians showed us exactly how to build an implant that works with their capsule, which is why we can use it.

The DUST implant is pretty much a carbon copy of Sleeper tech, which our engineers also scarcely understand. Without the Jovians helping us, I doubt we can get Sleeper tech to work with Jovian tech.

I have to object here. The thing is that both the capsules and the sleeper implants are manufactured locally in Empire space, the former by Ishukone, and the latter by biotech corporations under the aegis of their respective national authorities. The same goes for capsuleer and DUST clones, both of which it seems are assembled around their implants.

The ability to construct an object requires that somebody involved in its production has to have a theoretical grasp on the technology. This becomes increasingly true the more advanced and sophisticated a technology becomes. If we were to somehow send the precise schematics for, say, the ATLAS detector at CERN back in time and delivered it into the hands of NASA round about the time of the moon landings, they wouldn't be able to build it. They'd have a perfectly good idea what it was for, but the microcircuit technology, nanoscale engineering, computer processing power and so many more necessary technologies simply weren't available at the time.

That's not to say they wouldn't eventually manage it. Merely by reverse-engineering the ATLAS schematics, they'd be fast-tracked down technological paths we've already explored the hard way. But that process of learning how to build it would itself bring the technological and theoretical understanding of how and why it works, and the ability to apply those principles elsewhere.

If a technology hinges on the "spin" of an electron, then it's no good handing the blueprints to somebody who doesn't know that electrons can have a property known as "spin". Even if you attempt to exhaustively and precisely describe every step of the construction, there are certain basic assumptions you have to make about the engineer's understanding of the world. Archimedes might have been able to decipher the structural mechanics of it all, but if the schematics called for Molybdenum then he's screwed because that element was only discovered and isolated in the late 18th century. And the circuitry diagrams would have been utterly incomprehensible.

In short, for it to be possible for Ishukone to manufacture the pod without relying on an import of sealed black boxes from the Jove Empire, then they must either have had a solid grasp of its operating principles in the first place, or else the blueprints must have contained a comprehensive codex of scientific and technical knowledge sufficient to give them said grasp.

The same especially applies to the DUST implants. You don't create a "second generation" version that eliminates a serious flaw with the first generation without understanding quite a lot about how the technology works. Even if the implants are a copy of the sleepertech, eliminating a teething problem like that requires an in-depth theoretical understanding of their operation. You certainly don't successfully interface it with other facets of your technology such as the fluid router network, starship tactical strikes, and so on, without knowing all the important bits.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Dobie Mercault
Special Admirer Philosophy Club
#29 - 2013-07-30 01:50:20 UTC
Stitcher wrote:
The ability to construct an object requires that somebody involved in its production has to have a theoretical grasp on the technology.

Or some-thing. We live in the age of nanoassembly and advanced AI, so perhaps it's possible to come up with a plausible situation where the empires could remain ignorant of capsule technology, yet still be able to produce the capsule efficiently and effectively at mass scale.

While I find it less plausible than your explanation in certain ways, it's still interesting to imagine alternative scenarios based on Jovian distrust, where all the important knowledge and know-how of capsule technology and creation is left to machines and software instead of "the children". Imagine factories, lightly staffed in the same way capsuleer ships are, filled with freaky Geiger-esque nanoassemblers operating off trinary encrypted schematics and hardware with firewalls that transcend software and actually give physical neurodegenerative diseases to anyone stupid enough to try and "look inside".
Stitcher
Caldari State
#30 - 2013-07-30 10:29:11 UTC
Dobie Mercault wrote:
Stitcher wrote:
The ability to construct an object requires that somebody involved in its production has to have a theoretical grasp on the technology.

Or some-thing. We live in the age of nanoassembly and advanced AI, so perhaps it's possible to come up with a plausible situation where the empires could remain ignorant of capsule technology, yet still be able to produce the capsule efficiently and effectively at mass scale.

Who builds the machines that build the machines that build the machines? Who wrote the algorithm that writes the programs that program the robots?

Somewhere along the line, an actual human has to know what they're doing. Or something similarly sapient, this being a sci-fi setting after all. They might be insulated from the actual product by two or three layers of CAD/CAM, but they still have to understand the science behind it or else they'd never be able to correctly produce the machinery necessary to build it. Would you be able to design a drill without knowing what a hole in a piece of wood is?

Advanced technology hinges on scientific understand. You can't build a nuclear reactor unless you understand the fissile nature of atoms. If some aliens transmitted the schematics for a space elevator and an FTL engine to us tomorrow, the very act of deciphering those schematics and building them would advance our scientific knowledge to match.

AKA Hambone

CCP Falcon
#31 - 2013-07-30 11:58:28 UTC
Nova Fox wrote:
I know a bunch of clones that don't need a pod to transfer consciousness, it is only matter of time for that implant starts finding its way into capsuleers.

That's not going to happen. The two technologies are fundamentally incompatible. Smile

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Graelyn
Aeternus Command Academy
#32 - 2013-08-01 11:29:20 UTC
Thank you.

You can't have it all, people.

Cardinal Graelyn

Amarr Loyalist of the Year - YC113

Eija-Riitta Veitonen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#33 - 2013-08-02 04:53:15 UTC
Stitcher wrote:
Advanced technology hinges on scientific understand. You can't build a nuclear reactor unless you understand the fissile nature of atoms. If some aliens transmitted the schematics for a space elevator and an FTL engine to us tomorrow, the very act of deciphering those schematics and building them would advance our scientific knowledge to match.

Actually, you can, if you're given sufficiently detailed instructions on how to build it, prep it, fuel it up and what procedures to do to make it go critical.

Let's take one simple example: paper planes. Everyone can make one, yet most of them have no understanding of the fundamental sciences involved. Same here. Only on larger and much more complicated scale.
Rangh Ovaert
#34 - 2013-08-02 10:25:01 UTC
Scuzzy Logic wrote:

On the other hand, this just reinforces my idea that you never actually leave your pod, and that the station environment is nothing but a computer simulation. I mean it's been YEARS since I've had an agent come into my quarters, since CCP forgot to fix my damn door. In every station, no less. So ronery...Sad

Acutally never being able to leave the pod would be in my opinion the most radical and satisfying solution to this question. It would be the ultimate price you pay for being immortal.
Stitcher
Caldari State
#35 - 2013-08-02 13:24:33 UTC
Eija-Riitta Veitonen wrote:
Stitcher wrote:

Actually, you can, if you're given sufficiently detailed instructions on how to build it, prep it, fuel it up and what procedures to do to make it go critical.

As I said:

Stitcher wrote:
That process of learning how to build it would itself bring the technological and theoretical understanding of how and why it works, and the ability to apply those principles elsewhere.

If you hand somebody the precise and detailed instructions for building a nuclear reactor, they will be able to derive the operating principles of a nuclear reactor from those schematics. The process is known as "reverse-engineering".

I included that example of sending the ATLAS detector back to 1960s NASA for a reason.

AKA Hambone

Jake Agalder
Clan Staradder
#36 - 2013-08-03 05:08:36 UTC
The consensus seems to be that capsuleers are not immortal outside their capsules, but what about the Broker? In the empyrean age he kills himself several times outside of his capsule and yet he continues to be re-cloned. Yes he runs multiple copies of himself, but if his copies are just clones then how does he retain what was learned through his conversation with Tibus Heth after he kills himself at the foundry? If the DUST implants are not compatible with capsuleer implants then he cant have DUST implats because he pilots the capital ship into the Ishukone station.
Eija-Riitta Veitonen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#37 - 2013-08-04 20:55:15 UTC
Disposable clone, maybe?
Esna Pitoojee
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#38 - 2013-08-05 17:02:57 UTC
The Broker, as portrayed in The Empyrean Age, is unfortunately more of a walking plot device than a character. He displays several technologies (the freely clone jumping among them) that are borderline magic even in the context of New Eden's technology.
Eija-Riitta Veitonen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#39 - 2013-08-05 19:57:48 UTC
Esna Pitoojee wrote:
The Broker, as portrayed in The Empyrean Age, is unfortunately more of a walking plot device than a character. He displays several technologies (the freely clone jumping among them) that are borderline magic even in the context of New Eden's technology.

I blame Jovians!
Stitcher
Caldari State
#40 - 2013-08-05 23:16:40 UTC
Jake Agalder wrote:
what about the Broker?... how does he retain what was learned through his conversation with Tibus Heth after he kills himself at the foundry?

An ancient and mysterious lost technology known as a "microphone".

AKA Hambone