These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Star Citizen v EVE

First post First post First post
Author
Lucy Ferrr
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#181 - 2013-07-16 14:46:13 UTC
Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous are probably going to come out on the same day as Infinity the Quest for Earth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_(MMOG). They should all be released on the 5th of Never. 3 perfect examples of vaporware.
Anna Djan
Banana Corp
#182 - 2013-07-16 15:08:20 UTC
Caitlyn Tufy wrote:
Everyone said SW: TOR has potential, given that it was made by the (former) kings of RPG, Bioware. That went well.


Kings of RPG Bioware yes, now attach a money grabbing publisher who has creative involvement (EA).

It turned out as expected.


Space Juden
Supermassive Potato Pancake
#183 - 2013-07-16 15:09:39 UTC
I hadn't even heard of Elite:Dangerous until this thread but yeah that looks awesome to. How could people, in the CSM no less, brush these games off and go

"pshh, CCP continue doing what you're doing EVE is fine. DUST is great to let's see more of your great ideas"
Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#184 - 2013-07-16 15:15:30 UTC
Space Juden wrote:
I hadn't even heard of Elite:Dangerous until this thread but yeah that looks awesome to. How could people, in the CSM no less, brush these games off and go

"pshh, CCP continue doing what you're doing EVE is fine. DUST is great to let's see more of your great ideas"


This is why:

Scatim Helicon wrote:
Eve is dying because of Star Wars GalaxiesJumpgate EvolutionBlack ProphecyDarkfallThe Old RepublicStar Trek Online Star Citizen!


Space Juden
Supermassive Potato Pancake
#185 - 2013-07-16 15:22:55 UTC
Ah, I see. So it's logical that in the past because those unrelated games failed that EVE is immune to competition and will be completely unaffected by outside events for the rest of eternity.
Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#186 - 2013-07-16 15:28:40 UTC
Mirime Nolwe wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Mirime Nolwe wrote:
Trying to convince myself that EVE will not “suffer” from a successful implementation of most of the features that Star Citizen promises it’s just denying the obvious.

EVE is not composed with 100% PVP players, let’s be honest, if that % reached something like 50% the game will not endure and progress like it have been doing for the last decade. Even if some of you elitist PVPers like to think, the game it’s not and will never be a full PVP oriented game. The economy would implode without the people most of you love to despise.

A lot of the players I know from this game like to explore, do missions, trade, manufacture and I truly believe that they will move on if Star Citizen fulfill half of those promised features. Let’s wait and see what happens, for me, I hope that EVE gets a decent competition. That way they will need to HTFU or CCP will suffer.


Yeah like that time EVE died when Star Trek finally gave the PvEers a way to grind rats in peace.


It's needless to say your opinion every time someone post something Blink I think we've all understood your position.


He wouldn't need to if people didn't keep spouting unfounded opinions.

We've been here before, over and over, time and time again. We keep having these discussions because people misunderstand the average EVE player's motivation for playing EVE.

EVE online is so complex, most people don't KNOW what they like about it, and because they can't really grasp what they like about it, they take it for granted in the same way some people take real life relationships for granted. So they go play another game (or even just HEAR about a new game coming out) and "The Grass is Greener on the other side" syndrome kicks in.

As in all cases where the grass is greener, most people who think that find out that it isn't and come running back "home" before it's over.


Malcanis' example of Star Trek Online is perfect. The carebears who cried and cried and cried at getting ganked swore up and down that they'd leave EVE for STO because STO had better PVE, walking around on the ground and was grief-proof due to not having any non-conensual PVP. It even has a less painful death penalty. A carebears dream.

Yet, rather than go play a game PURPOSE BUILT for space bears....they stay in or came back to EVE where they could lose everything in one frieghter gank or where someone ganks their 4 bil isk Tengu in a mission. This happened because they were too dumb to realize that they LIKE the danger of EVE and that danger adds incredible value to the experience, and they were mistaken/short sighted in beliving they wanted total safety.
Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#187 - 2013-07-16 15:34:11 UTC
Space Juden wrote:
Ah, I see. So it's logical that in the past because those unrelated games failed that EVE is immune to competition and will be completely unaffected by outside events for the rest of eternity.


Pretty much. And those games are every bit as related as SC is, because SC is. Hell most of them or closer to what EVE is than SC is going to be. And has been said before, people can play more than one game.

In 10 years the fears of outside games hurting EVE have been proven false. the ONLY thing that ever hurt EVE's numbers is CCP itself. There is no evidence what-so-ever that any outside game can put a dent in EVE.

At the risk of inviting an Ace Ueome spawn, i'll compare it to WoW. EVERYTIME a new WoW clone came out some WoW players worried that it would kill WoW. Nothing ever has (except maybe time as the game has grown old).

The measureable evidence says your fears are unfounded.
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#188 - 2013-07-16 15:36:20 UTC
Cipher Jones wrote:
Quote:
This is why CCP Seagull gave a blue-sky presentation at FanFest: to remind the players that CCP still has the same huge, crazy dream for their universe.


Still waiting on things from the 2010 fanfest to be implemented, its summer 2013.

Vision and delivery are galaxies apart my friend.


Er, yes. That's what I said.

In 2010, they had a crappy foundation they couldn't build on. In 2013, they still have a lot of that foundation left that they still can't build on. Until they're done, you and I will continue to wait.

Seagull was letting us know that the wait will be worth it. Time will tell, of course. But any software developer can see the position they're in right now, and understand that this is the only way forward.

At least CCP has rubber on the road.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

MinmatarxXx
Universal Mining and Design
#189 - 2013-07-16 16:58:12 UTC
Honestly, Dust 514 needed to be redone for PC, make it more like PS2 and we have a winner. In the end, I really want WoD, as much as I want EVE almost, depending on how good it is. That is how good of a project that is, so if I can get WoD and EVE from the same company, I am a happy camper. :)
Chief Bob
Swine Capitalism
#190 - 2013-07-16 17:38:57 UTC
I've got no interest in SC if it doesn't have a harsh death penalty, is fully sandbox, has a robust player driven economy and time based skill training (i hate level grinds).

Its likely not to have all of that, so I really don't care.

If it somehow kills Eve (which I seriously doubt), then I'll find something other than video games to fill my time. Maybe do more fishing.

I think if Eve crashes and burns, it'll be more likely due to something like microtransactions.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#191 - 2013-07-16 17:47:09 UTC
It still amazes me how people can only think in terms of playing just 1 game.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Scatim Helicon
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#192 - 2013-07-16 17:49:16 UTC
Chief Bob wrote:
I've got no interest in SC if it doesn't have a harsh death penalty, is fully sandbox, has a robust player driven economy and time based skill training (i hate level grinds).

And even if it had all those things, it would essentially be an Eve clone but without the decade of player-driven backstory to build on.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Domer Pyle
Denassi Mining Company LLC
Sev3rance
#193 - 2013-07-16 17:49:31 UTC
looks fun. might have to check it out.

"Imagine if the bars to your prison were all you had ever known. Then one day, someone appears and unlocks the door. If they have the power to do this, then are they really the liberator? You never remembered who it was that closed you in." - Ior Labron

Templar Knightsbane
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#194 - 2013-07-16 18:15:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Templar Knightsbane
Malcanis wrote:
Templar Knightsbane wrote:

To say SC wont be an amazing game, is to be childish and unproffesional, because you just dont know and if it is will CCP wish that it had upped its game now when they had a chance!!!


By the same token, so is saying it will be.


Im saying IF SC comes out to be the game advertised, and until that time CCP and the community just point and say hey, its just hype, then that imo is a childish and unproffesional thing to do as a games company that has the biggest space game out there to date i.e. CCP.

I'm not saying it will or wont be special, i have my doubts, but at the same time i want CCP to be competing at the highest level IF this game does come with a free pot of gold and rainbow to boot.

Thats all.
Call Rollard
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#195 - 2013-07-16 18:17:53 UTC
It's still going to be possible to have Star Citizen and EVE. I will get Star Citizen and I don't want to quit EVE. Ofc that will split my game time in half but I want Star Citizen. I won't quit EVE but I will get Star Citizen.
Manfred Hideous
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#196 - 2013-07-16 18:22:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Manfred Hideous
Malcanis wrote:
Alpheias wrote:
Inokuma Yawara wrote:

I worked really hard on a post to rebut some of what you said. However, CCP's wonderful auto Draft Saving feature lost my reply.

So, I'll just say. You're wrong. I disagree with you. and leave it at that.

To CCP: Your wonderful Auto Draft Saving feature sucks ass.


Pro-tip: write it up in notepad first. Blink


Malc-tip™: CRTL-C before posting anything that took you more than a minute.


Wait, if I have the C,T,R, and L keys pressed, how do I press C again? Do I have the wrong keyboard?


On a serious note, does this game have loss consequences? Do you lose ships when you die? The website is image laden and I don't feel like cycling past images to find the answer.
Scatim Helicon
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#197 - 2013-07-16 18:23:08 UTC
Templar Knightsbane wrote:
Im saying IF SC comes out to be the game advertised, and until that time CCP and the community just point and say hey, its just hype, then that imo is a childish and unproffesional thing to do as a games company that has the biggest space game out there to date i.e. CCP.

Good job that nobody at CCP is doing that then, isn't it.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Templar Knightsbane
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#198 - 2013-07-16 18:38:06 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Templar Knightsbane wrote:
To say SC wont be an amazing game, is to be childish and unproffesional
No, it is to be realistic and cautious — insinuating that it will be anything more than, well, a game is naïve and unprofessional. You can hope, but any hard claim beyond that is just silly.


I think you read my post backwards. I didn't claim anything. I think you cut of half my sentence there nice work.
Templar Knightsbane
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#199 - 2013-07-16 18:41:11 UTC
Scatim Helicon wrote:
Templar Knightsbane wrote:
Im saying IF SC comes out to be the game advertised, and until that time CCP and the community just point and say hey, its just hype, then that imo is a childish and unproffesional thing to do as a games company that has the biggest space game out there to date i.e. CCP.

Good job that nobody at CCP is doing that then, isn't it.


From what i read in this very thread i got the impression some CCP employees were dissmissing SC as a hyped game in which you pay $1300 for a ship. Thats all. I hope CCP are taking note and make EVE even better. Meh wish i hadn't posted in this thread.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#200 - 2013-07-16 19:20:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Templar Knightsbane wrote:
From what i read in this very thread i got the impression some CCP employees were dissmissing SC as a hyped game in which you pay $1300 for a ship. Thats all. I hope CCP are taking note and make EVE even better. Meh wish i hadn't posted in this thread.

I wouldn't say that they're dismissing it out of hand but Eve has a couple things that Star Citizen doesn't and by all accounts never will, the scope for epic stories, and always on PvP. Eve will still be the only space game with those, without those features and possibilities it's not a direct competitor for a lot of the demographic Eve caters for, those of us that like to play at being immoral immortals with a taste for blood and power, and have a lasting impact.

Star Citizen, from what the devs are saying, will have a PvP slider, don't want PvP? You'll be able to basically turn it off and go about your business without the chance of some nasty piwate ruining your day. That option sounds pretty bland to me, the possibility of surprise PvP adds spice for me, but if that's what you want then fine.

In Eve what you do affects somebody else, regardless of whether you spend your time mining ore, shooting NPCs or making pretty explosions out of other peoples stuff. SC claims it will have a persistent universe but will have instances, I'm not sure how that will actually work or how people will be able to make a meaningful impact on both the universe and others.

The SC devs will be making part of what makes storytelling and having an impact possible in Eve impossible. People won't be able to organise others and take control of huge swathes of space, goonswarm and the like are purposefully being designed out. Thus no conflict drivers on the scale we have here, in turn that removes opportunities for espionage, epic battles for territory and skulduggery, it also suggests that confidence tricks, ponzi schemes etc probably won't be tolerated by the devs, much like most MMOs. All of these things regularly put Eve in the spotlight in both the gaming and mainstream media, be it for good or bad.

As I posted earlier, I hope Star Citizen lives up to the promise it has, I'll definitely be playing it if it does, what I won't be doing is unsubbing from Eve to do so, because it's not offering me the same range of possibilities as Eve.

TL;DR While both games share a theme, in reality they offer different things. To offer an analogy if both games were movies Star Citizen would get a parental guidance warning, while Eve would be rated as only suitable for persons over the age of 18.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack