These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Collision detection - Does it have to be this bad?

Author
Burl en Daire
M.O.M.S. Corp
#41 - 2013-07-15 08:05:54 UTC
I was stuck on a data can the other day for five minutes at 6000m. I couldn't even use my data module. I have also had so run ins with roids that we further than 4k. I never had any of these problems before the latest expansion.

Yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why. Hunter S. Thompson

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#42 - 2013-07-15 08:20:48 UTC
Multor Kaston wrote:
Lol, I actually had something similar happen in my first couple weeks of playing. I was trying to warp out in low-sec but had that "bump the station" endlessly problem. It eventually pushed me THROUGH the station somehow, so I disengaged warp thinking I found a glitched out safe spot I could troll from. Well, within a few minutes someone locked onto me and showed me otherwise Lol.

Yeah, the first time I saw that hollowed out asteroid in a mission I thought "AWESOME" and pilotest my Merlin right into it, star wars feeling and all... o_O

Was fun until I tried to turn around and get out of it. It took me only 15 Minutes at a speed only slightly faster than the average pedestrian... Ugh

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#43 - 2013-07-15 08:41:05 UTC
The answer is math. Because it needs to be done serverside algorithms must be simple and fast to compute.

Take two spheres. One is the object, the other is you. Calculate the distance between the centers and subtract the radius if both. Is that number lower then 0? The objects collide and the collision is handled. Problem? The 3D models obviously aren't all sphere shaped.
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#44 - 2013-07-15 08:49:57 UTC
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:
The answer is math. Because it needs to be done serverside algorithms must be simple and fast to compute.

Take two spheres. One is the object, the other is you. Calculate the distance between the centers and subtract the radius if both. Is that number lower then 0? The objects collide and the collision is handled. Problem? The 3D models obviously aren't all sphere shaped.

But, spheroid ships would be cool, too. :)

I always wanted my private little mini death star. Lol

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Vorll Minaaran
Centre Of Attention
#45 - 2013-07-15 13:46:25 UTC
Devblog about Destiny (EVE's physics simulation engine) from 2009.
You can see how 'easy' to bugfix/improve it: http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/facing-destiny/
Alicia Aishai
Perkone
Caldari State
#46 - 2013-07-16 04:24:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Alicia Aishai
OP makes a good point. I was almost stuck several times, including one so badly that I was starting to wonder whether I should just self-destruct... In the end I got out after 10 minutes but that wasn't a very good 10 minutes given that it was in null and fully exposed to gank.

I understand the point people are making that this is not a priority item for devs and CCP has better things to do, which may as well be true.

However, there are easy things which could be done:
- Give us an option to see the collision boxes on the screen in "wire view" so at least we understand what's happening. Rather than bumping on invisible objects or going through visible objects, both of which are very frequent...
- Improve path finding (this can be done on client side, no server resources used) so that people don't get stuck 10 minutes trying to go around a (small) asteroid. Right now, the path finding is just horrendous.
- Have some sort of failsafe to avoid players being stuck in places where wrap is impossible and getting out is a nightmare (or impossible) Edit: by failsafe, I mean a /unstuck command or similar; to avoid exploit it could be disabled in combat

Those 3 things do not require a lot of developer resources to be delivered.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2013-07-16 19:27:25 UTC
It's because their collision maps are old as **** and badly in need of updating.

It annoys the hell out of me when asteroids are much bigger than they appear (which makes it easy to get stuck in an asteroid belt that looks fairly easy to move through), and in missions and other deadspace pockets you have to memorize where the invisible collision areas are, just so you don't get stuck, and because they are completely arbitrary and bear almost no resemblance at all to the actual structure of the site. Same goes for stations. Acceleration gate collision maps are entirely too big. You warp to them at zero and land at anywhere from 1500m to -3500m (from the collision map edge). You have to be lucky to not have to fly away from it for a while just to be able to use it.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Previous page123