These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Launcher issues. Are they real?

Author
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#21 - 2013-07-09 21:44:28 UTC
No launcher issues here, I actually prefer it because of the persistent token that allows me to switch characters without having to type in a 13 character alphanumeric password every time I want to do so.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#22 - 2013-07-09 22:02:36 UTC
I didn't have launcher issues, but it still does eat up 100-150 MB of RAM for no particular reason.
Khira Kitamatsu
#23 - 2013-07-09 22:06:06 UTC
Use the launcher with multiple accounts and it works flawlessly.

Ponies!  We need more ponies!

Hombre Malo
Brewmasters
incendia equus
#24 - 2013-07-10 01:48:20 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Mara Pahrdi wrote:
I don't use the launcher to start the game. Only for the occasional update. The launchers interface design is too annoying to even perform a simple task like starting the game.

I'm not sure I get this.

Select the appropriate account from the drop down (if it's not already shown), Press "Play".
If you need to switch or start a different character on that account click the "Switch Character" link first.

How is that too annoying? I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything short of it manifesting precognitive abilities that could be more direct.
I am sorry we may be running different launchers here as I don't have a "Switch Character" link, mine says "Switch User Account". Character selection is still done as it was prior to the launcher.
Annoying - Using Eve.exe file I can log into all my accounts in the time it takes for the launcher to, load, validate, enter password, login to one account. Clicking links in the launcher, opens my browser with a blue page containing no information and no amount of refreshing will clear it. *This only occurs if my browser is not at the time in use, if it is open when I click the link they work ok.

NB; Tried the launcher this morning and it actually had 3 of my accounts cached.. See what happens after the next patch.
Hombre Malo
Brewmasters
incendia equus
#25 - 2013-07-16 11:47:14 UTC
Well it seems my enthusiasm about the launcher after the previous patch was ill founded.. New patch, restart launcher as instructed and, no usernames cached and it is again like using the launcher for the 1st time..

I do hope it is a ""LONG"" time before the option to use eve.exe is removed.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#26 - 2013-07-16 12:00:00 UTC
My launcher issues so far have been…

1. It flagged EVE as not compatible with my OS version (fixed by bypassing the outer package and going directly for the EVE app).
2. It refused to remember any user names (fixed by clearing the cache).
3. It refused to remember more than one user name (fixed by clearing the cache again).
3. It refuses to show more than one user name when arrowing through the list (no fix).
4. It does not accept normal keyboard shortcuts (no fix).
5. The start button is never enabled (no fix, bypassed by checking auto-start).
6. It's ugly as sin and twice as cluttered and busy (no fix).
7. It offers no tangible benefit over the old launcher (whose only benefit over the old login screen was improved patching).

…so yeah, maybe it's time they got this at least into beta quality soon?
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#27 - 2013-07-16 12:04:04 UTC
Using the Launcher for updating the stuff, then I switch to my own written launcher with exefile as fallback if SSO is down.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Grauth Thorner
Vicious Trading Company
#28 - 2013-07-16 12:46:46 UTC
I just had my first launcher problem during the update... The log stated that the patch did not have permission to write to the launcher. All I had to do to fix that problem was to close the launcher after the update started. I believe this should be done automatically by the updater but for some reason it didn't, while still trying to apply the patch. Anyway this way it can be fixed should anyone have the same problem.

Regards,
Grauth Thorner

View real-time damage statistics in-game

>EVE Live DPS Graph application forum thread

>iciclesoft.com

Joe Gallent
Greater Metropolis Sanitation Service
#29 - 2013-07-16 13:23:26 UTC
I've just gone through the THIRD launcher update in the last 50 minutes. The problem is, after the launcher updates, I can't get it to update the game at all. It just sits there, alternately flashing the messages "downloading files" and "installing update" but the progress bar doesn't move one tiny millimeter.
mr ed thehouseofed
Wrought iron Industries
#30 - 2013-07-16 13:52:09 UTC
Joe Gallent wrote:
I've just gone through the THIRD launcher update in the last 50 minutes. The problem is, after the launcher updates, I can't get it to update the game at all. It just sits there, alternately flashing the messages "downloading files" and "installing update" but the progress bar doesn't move one tiny millimeter.

this . went in to game the from exe file . keeps wanting to update everytime i start the launcher .

i want a eve pinball machine...  confirming  CCP Cognac is best cognac

Joe Gallent
#31 - 2013-07-16 14:09:21 UTC
mr ed thehouseofed wrote:
Joe Gallent wrote:

this . went in to game the from exe file . keeps wanting to update everytime i start the launcher .

Thing is, I can't start the game from the exe file. It says there's an update, and that my current version doesn't match. I just tried downloading the launcher fresh, same thing.

And I just renewed my subscription too. I guess I'm SOL when it comes to EVE. Cry
Joe Gallent
#32 - 2013-07-16 14:17:52 UTC
Ok. I ran the repair tool, and that fixed the client. I can't say what it did to the launcher. I usually don't use it. Smile
Previous page12