These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP! Please clarify the future plans for WiS!

First post
Author
Jita Alt666
#581 - 2011-10-31 09:02:09 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Emad X wrote:
Myfanwy Heimdal wrote:
Walking in Stations is a huge task and one which really hadn't been thought out properly.

We're talking stations of over 20 km in size. How are we going to walk around that lot? What are we going to do in there? In fact, what is in all those thousands of miles of corridors and how are we going to interact?

I've seen other games where we've had taverns in towns where players could meet and, always, they're empty. So, if we're wanting an Eve version of Mallory's Bar (The Gap) or that bar from Total Recall then we're going to have to have something worth our while going around walking in stations.

When I was playing other games I never once saw the point of towns or cities where we could meet other players. Not once did I say I'll spend the evening playing BadgerQuest or whatever and spend the time sitting around in a town. And neither did I once run into any players who were hanging around like extras in Westerns lounging around on the boardwalks.

In every MMO that I have played, players would come into town - because the had to - get whatever it was they had to have done done as fast as they could - and then beetle off to do some whatever they did out of the towns.

So, please tell me, and I mean this most sincerely, what possibly could CCP do to make walking in stations interesting or purposeful to the majority of players? I have, at the moment no interest in WiS and I can't see me every having any interest in doing so. CCP would have to pull a massive rabbit out of a hat to make me interested. And if they tried to force us to leave the pod to find an agent/repairshop/refinery then the recent rage would be nothing compared to that storm.

Walking In Stations/ It's not going to work.

This.

If you can do everything in the station without having to walk around for 20 minutes by using the normal interface and menus, then you're not gonna walk around for 20 minutes. The only alternative would be to force everyone to walk around by removing the menus and interface, which would be the worst idea of all time.

Without adding some sort of gameplay element that interests people, wasting any more time in developing WiS would be pointless.

That must have been where you stopped reading this thread cuz all those questions were answered later.

Nice Bump.
Issler Dainze
Tadakastu-Obata Corporation
The Honda Accord
#582 - 2011-10-31 21:48:58 UTC
Cypermethren wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
Cypermethren wrote:
Calm down everyone.

WiS has been out in full for ages. It is know as "Second Life" tho.

People have even built a town with eve themes in there, go find it yourselves.

Play that stupid ass barbie game and leave us alone to play with our spaceships.

This is honest to god sibling rivalry. Get you're effing barbies out of the sandpit, this is where we play with the tonka trucks girl.

P.s - Mass unsubs bringing subscriber numbers to an alltime low - t he reason put in the cancel subscription box = Walking in Stations crap instead of you giving us FiS stuff

CCP announces they're working on FiS again. LArge % of subscribers resub.

Hint - those people would not have come back otherwise. Our threats were not empty.

Feel free to try and pull a similar senario, but you WiS'ers are but a speck of dust compared to the sea of FiSers

The people that unsubbed were upset with good reason. Many of us were as well.

Most of us have no problem acknowledging how screwed up the handling of WIS development and release was, and we do not want to revisit that.

What most of us WOULD like is for the original concepts behind WIS to be realized, for a sensible plan to be made ahead of time, and for work on that concept to begin when possible WITHOUT stomping on FIS content development.

It's all in the thread my friend.

the problem is they released teaser video's YEARS back, of a dude walking thru a station, a pub, into a war room complete with holo display. That set the expectations. CCP knew this.

They give us Mr Gimpy locked in solitary confinment instead.

Whatever they had - its obvious they somehow fubard it up, big time.

My hopes for WiS died with Incarna. And never again will i ever want CCP to work on it anywhere near as much because we know damn well if they do FiS suffers - and 99% of eve content = FiS.

Can you believe how much work is being done, how many promices are finaly being forfilled, and dreams realised since CCP realised they ****** up and did a massive reshuffle? Its insane. And eve has been starved these resources for far, far too long.

I am glad this whole debarcle happend, if it did not, many of us would still be Unsubbed.

And i am sorry to you WiSers, but its obvious CCP can never forfill that promice without shafting the rest of eve, so may you're hopes of space barbies die quietly and go away so we can enjoy FiS as it's reborn once more.

Where to even start.

Just because CCP forgot about FiS, not becase of WiS but because of vampires and consoles you assume that some form of work on WiS can't be allowed because it has to result in screwing up FiS. That is just nonsense.

Then you go on to imply that this next expansion is looking like the best expansion FiS of all time. Not even close. We are getting a lot of rebalancing that was long overdue and could have been done in patches not expansions. Some yet undescribed "improvements" to FW, some new BCs which are sort of the minimum of something I'd expect in an exansion, we appear to be getting PI screwed over in low sec, some POS management changes that have yet to be explained, fonts (again something that should have been in a patch), a feature that makes lag something on purpose to maybe make major fleet fights better and super cap nerfs that really don't matter to the majority of Eve and again could have been delivered in a patch.

So I have no idea how FiS work is suddenly "all so awesome" with this next expansion.

You also need to remember this wasn't WiS development assets moved to FiS, this was all but a few vamp WiS resources thrown out the dirgible. So if CCP hadn't gotten themselves so screwed up financially WiS could still be worked on while everything in the next expansion is being delivered.

Unsubs were discussed in length in other posts and WiS was just one of many causes. Also, you have no data to support an influx of resubs because of a new bipolar "FiS Only!" CCP refocus.

So your WiS=shafting Eve thing is space madness of the worst kind.

Issler
Skunk Gracklaw
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#583 - 2011-10-31 21:53:10 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Spitfire
Issler Dainze wrote:
So I have no idea how FiS work is suddenly "all so awesome" with this next expansion.

Then you're a *snip* Please keep it civil. Spitfire. New ships, supercap nerfs, hybrid fixes, etc are a fantastic start to fixing the game and more than was done while CCP was focused on space barbies.
Taiwanistan
#584 - 2011-11-01 01:02:41 UTC
also we need to run in station

TA on wis: "when we have a feature that is its own functional ecosystem of gameplay then hooks into the greater ecosystem of EVE as a whole, and it provides good replayability."

Valkris Arkayne
Perkone
Caldari State
#585 - 2011-11-01 01:14:41 UTC
Skunk Gracklaw wrote:
Issler Dainze wrote:

Then you're a moron. New ships, supercap nerfs, hybrid fixes, etc are a fantastic start to fixing the game and more than was done while CCP was focused on space barbies.

I think we all agree that FiS was woefully ingored. Now, CCP has threatened to swing the pendulum too far the other way. There *is* a middleground, and while some players write WiS off as 'space barbies', there's a reason EVE has only hit 400k subscribers in 8 years - they're ignoring a large majority of the potential player base. Potential CUSTOMERS.

CCP must expand or they will dwindle to irrelevancy and shut down.
Flamespar
WarRavens
#586 - 2011-11-01 01:17:20 UTC
Given the huge response that this thread has gathered. Perhaps we should ask the CSM to represent our views to CCP.

At the very least it would be nice for CCP to clarify what their plans for Incarna are given the uncertainty created by Hilmar's interview.
Skunk Gracklaw
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#587 - 2011-11-01 01:20:31 UTC
Flamespar wrote:
Given the huge response that this thread has gathered.

You mean the handful of people who want to play dress up and all their alts?
Skunk Gracklaw
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#588 - 2011-11-01 01:21:03 UTC
Valkris Arkayne wrote:
I think we all agree that FiS was woefully ingored. Now, CCP has threatened to swing the pendulum too far the other way.

Good.
Flamespar
WarRavens
#589 - 2011-11-01 01:38:47 UTC
Skunk Gracklaw wrote:
Flamespar wrote:

This is the best argument that the WiS haters can come up with?

Wow. And they say WoW players are dumb.
Ladie Harlot
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#590 - 2011-11-01 01:57:54 UTC
Flamespar wrote:
Skunk Gracklaw wrote:
Flamespar wrote:

This is the best argument that the WiS haters can come up with?

Wow. And they say WoW players are dumb.

The best argument against WiS was provided by CCP with the Incarna expansion.

The artist formerly known as Ladie Scarlet.

ConranAntoni
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#591 - 2011-11-01 02:02:23 UTC  |  Edited by: ConranAntoni
This thread is literally terrible. If you want to prioritise walking in stations over damn actual content, go play Hello Kitty Dungeon Adventure.

How exactly does creating a bar where your avatar can sit in type in local about shitfit canes count as actual content? Seriously, this thread is deluded. Sure, once the major **** is done, let them throw some resources at it, might even turn out entertaining but EvE isn't about your peoples deluded "lets all sit in a station with no effectual interaction". It's about combat, wether actual ship pvp or as some put it "market" pvp. It's a sandbox for action, not a sandbox for freaking idiots trying to cyber in a bar with a bunch of other randomly designed and grotesque looking characters.

Empyrean Warriors - Recruiting now.

Issler Dainze
The Honda Accord
#592 - 2011-11-01 02:57:04 UTC
Skunk Gracklaw wrote:
Issler Dainze wrote:

Then you're a moron. New ships, supercap nerfs, hybrid fixes, etc are a fantastic start to fixing the game and more than was done while CCP was focused on space barbies.

Hybrid fixes, super cap nerfs etc are all things that should have been in patches a year ago. New ships are nice but again overdue, some more stuff is "promised but has yet to be explained. You have to ask yourself just how much CCP has basically been lying about what it takes to deliver stuff if this expansion is possible in less than 90 days.

You are far too easily amused.

Issler
Ficus Plant
The Plant Initiative
#593 - 2011-11-01 03:00:35 UTC
EVE is a FiS game .... more FiS.
Down with WiS!
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#594 - 2011-11-01 03:03:49 UTC
It would be nice if occasionally people would actually read this thread before commenting in it. Smile

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Issler Dainze
The Honda Accord
#595 - 2011-11-01 03:04:13 UTC
ConranAntoni wrote:
This thread is literally terrible. If you want to prioritise walking in stations over damn actual content, go play Hello Kitty Dungeon Adventure.

How exactly does creating a bar where your avatar can sit in type in local about shitfit canes count as actual content? Seriously, this thread is deluded. Sure, once the major **** is done, let them throw some resources at it, might even turn out entertaining but EvE isn't about your peoples deluded "lets all sit in a station with no effectual interaction". It's about combat, wether actual ship pvp or as some put it "market" pvp. It's a sandbox for action, not a sandbox for freaking idiots trying to cyber in a bar with a bunch of other randomly designed and grotesque looking characters.

Wow, another late to the game troll trying to spin what I was asking for and claiming that the only thing that can be rewarding for someone to do is doing just what he finds fun.

Sir, your argument has me nearly convinced..... but not about what you set out to say..... It does make me hope shooting folks in the face is added to WiS soon if it comes back.

Issler
Ladie Harlot
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#596 - 2011-11-01 03:10:05 UTC
Issler Dainze wrote:
Hybrid fixes, super cap nerfs etc are all things that should have been in patches a year ago.

And they weren't because CCP was so distracted. They learned their lesson and are refocusing their attention on Eve but you are trying to stop them.

The artist formerly known as Ladie Scarlet.

Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Pandemic Horde
#597 - 2011-11-01 03:13:27 UTC
Issler Dainze wrote:

It does make me hope shooting folks in the face is added to WiS soon if it comes back.

Know what? I'd support that. I'd support anything that would let me shoot YOU in the face.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

ConranAntoni
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#598 - 2011-11-01 03:24:04 UTC  |  Edited by: ConranAntoni
Issler Dainze wrote:
ConranAntoni wrote:

Wow, another late to the game troll trying to spin what I was asking for and claiming that the only thing that can be rewarding for someone to do is doing just what he finds fun.

Sir, your argument has me nearly convinced..... but not about what you set out to say..... It does make me hope shooting folks in the face is added to WiS soon if it comes back.

Issler

Thing is, i'm not trolling. I just don't count waiting a year or two for WiS that won't offer any real content as worthwhile over content which the game was primarily designed for; space combat. Repurposing assets for uninteresting station adventures where nothing makes any kind of difference in the larger scheme of things over a new ship type or FiS content which in turn could change things is rather idiotic. But of course, keep yelling for it, i'm sure when you can walk around in a lovely NeX store jacket and click sit or stand on a chair and look at everyone else doing the same will add a ton of atmosphere.

Empyrean Warriors - Recruiting now.

Lipbite
Express Hauler
#599 - 2011-11-01 03:34:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Lipbite
Flamespar wrote:
Perhaps we should ask the CSM to represent our views to CCP.

If CCP doesn't interesting in their community (like reading their own forums and actually improve the game according to players requests) - 20 CSM strangers won't make them change their business practices.

Well, unsubbing and waiting for yet another 5 days of free game time or $4.95 bonus subscription becomes my new most common activity in EVE. Can't play the same content for more than 3 months - it's boring.
Valkris Arkayne
Perkone
Caldari State
#600 - 2011-11-01 03:38:12 UTC
ConranAntoni wrote:
...How exactly does creating a bar where your avatar can sit in type in local about shitfit canes count as actual content? ...

No one that supports WiS is talking about 'sitting in bars'. That's overly simplistic and purposely obtuse.

WiS supporters see that EVE has not changed significantly in 8 years. We also note that subscriptions have capped out at roughly 400,000 and haven't increased appreciably in the last year. The fact is, EVE has hit maximum density for it's current game design due to it's narrow focus of heavy PVP - only a small percentage of the world's online players have the willpower to handle the grim reality of EVE. Without bringing in fresh blood, the only way things can go for EVE is a slow and gradual decline... and that fresh blood has to be from a different pool of players (since PVPers have already tried EVE, or aren't interested in spaceship pew pew).

Whether players want to admit it or not, EVE *must* expand or it will die a slow, lingering death. Every online game is competing for player loyalty by offering more and more features - EVE has to do the same in order to remain compeditive.

As for potential 'content', WiS promised to offer features beyond mining, ratting, and wardeccing. War Rooms with holographic displays of local sectors, Player-run shops and additional crafting that offered hundreds of new blueprints and manufacturing options, an expanded economy, mini-games, and numerous other ideas. This IS content.

Updated nebulae, 4 new ships, and engine trails hardly qualify as content.