These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

CCP! Please clarify the future plans for WiS!

First post
Author
RAP ACTION HERO
#4241 - 2012-04-10 02:52:04 UTC  |  Edited by: RAP ACTION HERO
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:

"eve is dying because there is no wis", "i am unsubbing because there's no wis",
sounds like wis-at-all-cost
but eve is not dying, why rush wis? just let them get it right, they did botch it the first time.

Sounds like they want WiS content added to the game, nowhere did they say 'WiS at all costs'.

As for your statement about WiS being botched the first time, it was the Incarna expansion that was botched and I'm not going to state all the problems associated with it again. The main problem with the WiS delivered in the Incarna expansion was that it didn't include the Ambulation that was promised to players years ago.


The fact is that due to limited resources, wis is placed on slow burn to give prioritization over to dust and fis, while some resources are still dedicated to wod. Because of this, some people are leaving the game in dissent with this allocation of resources. It may not be precisely wis-at-all-costs but it is certainly wis-or-else and I am having difficulty seeing how they differ.

vitoc erryday

FoxFire Ayderan
#4242 - 2012-04-10 03:12:22 UTC
Hi. I'm a total newb here and to EvE, and I have no idea what the last 213 pages have been talking about.

But I did want to lend my 2 cents that when I heard about the Walking in Stations part of EvE I was really excited about it. And disappointed that I can't currently do it. That locked door is now mocking me. :-P

I really hope they can get this in the game soon. I'm enjoying what EvE currently has to offer (which I've barely scratched the surface of), but I don't really want to JUST be a ship. It would be great to have a place to go hang out with other pilots, and to be able to look out the station windows while playing some games or just shooting the breeze. Also a place to hang out with one's corporation would be sweet.

Daneirkus Auralex
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4243 - 2012-04-10 04:50:48 UTC
FoxFire Ayderan wrote:
Hi. I'm a total newb here and to EvE, ...I'm enjoying what EvE currently has to offer (which I've barely scratched the surface of), but I don't really want to JUST be a ship. ... to be able to look out the station windows while playing some games or just shooting the breeze. Also a place to hang out with one's corporation would be sweet.



+1 for adorable newbie
Vetorept Fera
Doomheim
#4244 - 2012-04-10 05:41:34 UTC
So...what's the plan for WiS?

Big smile

In pace requiescat

RAP ACTION HERO
#4245 - 2012-04-10 06:25:04 UTC
You are not a ship or avatar, you are what you do.

vitoc erryday

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#4246 - 2012-04-10 06:36:00 UTC  |  Edited by: DeMichael Crimson
Richard Hammond II wrote:
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:

I think you are just risk averse and unfortunately most of eve can't be appealing to you.


yeah... non pvp WiS is entirely unappealing

Ohhh, like we're supposed to believe your characters are doing all kinds of PvP action in-game. Typical troll remarks from characters that rarely ever enter the game.

If CCP does make WiS PvP available, my team of AAA's (Avatar Attack Alts) will be looking for you.

RAP ACTION HERO wrote:


The fact is that due to limited resources, wis is placed on slow burn to give prioritization over to dust and fis, while some resources are still dedicated to wod. Because of this, some people are leaving the game in dissent with this allocation of resources. It may not be precisely wis-at-all-costs but it is certainly wis-or-else and I am having difficulty seeing how they differ.


Ambulation content has been promised since 2006 and a small amount of it should have already been implemented into the game, plain and simple. Since it hasn't been implemented and CCP keeps dub-stepping around that content by adding more Avatar customization options and calling it WiS game play content, I don't blame players for having an issue with it and leaving the game.

Now the premise is that CCP wants to incorporate aspects of FiS mechanics into WiS content before adding it to the game. More or less the ability to gank Avatars. Fine. I see no reason to hold off on adding basic social areas as a starting point while working to incorporate Avatar PvP content.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#4247 - 2012-04-10 06:41:23 UTC
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
oldbutfeelingyoung wrote:
(...)


i am one of the WISlovers here everybody knows that,but hopig that WIS will keep you interested in EVE is wrong.
If you don,t like the game ,some avatar play will not change that.
WIS is nothing more then an addon to EVE ,a great addon ,but nothing more then that.
Wis will add to EVE ,but wil not make you like EVE more as it is.



Huh.

In a deep sense i don't like EVE's premise, that bad guys can be SOBs forever and nobody be safe and nobody bother them or stop them. If I wanted to endure that crap, i just would turn on the TV and tune the news to learn whatever did today my country's politicians. Roll

So, in that sense, I don't like EVE. Hooligans deserve being hanged at crossroads to serve as example, not being cheered while they ask for people to suicide over a videogame, if you get what I mean.

But then, i like MMOs, and EVE is unique. I am sucker for the skill system, the combat system, the economy and the sheer complexity of fitting ships for a task.

I would love that bounty hunting was a viable profession and SOBs got a reason to fear being chased by bounty hunters. I would love that EVE PvP was about either being a SOB and face the consequences or make SOBs face the consequences. Being a SOB for free is not my idea of fun.

If that was impossible (poor PvPrs, they should go harrass non-PvPrs elsewhere), then I would like that EVE was about building and restoring civilization, bringing order into chaos rather than gloat into pointless perpetual mayhem. Colonize planets, set up stargates, whatever.

Failing all above, i just would like to be able to pursue my own goals without being fukked by someone I can't fuk back, and let the universe go to hell while I dig out my own little corner.

And here I enter WiS, occuring in the only places in EVE were your assets are safe unless you willingly jeopardize them (FAI trusting someone and giving him acces to the corporate hangar).

I think you are just risk averse and unfortunately most of eve can't be appealing to you.


Well, I used to play this game for an hour a day. And I really wanted that invested hour to provide some return.
RAP ACTION HERO
#4248 - 2012-04-10 07:26:04 UTC
DeMichael Crimson wrote:
Richard Hammond II wrote:
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:

I think you are just risk averse and unfortunately most of eve can't be appealing to you.


yeah... non pvp WiS is entirely unappealing

Ohhh, like we're supposed to believe your characters are doing all kinds of PvP action in-game. Typical troll alts made specifically to pad the CSM vote and troll these forums. Your characters rarely ever enter the game.

Just letting you know that if CCP does make WiS PvP available, my team of AAA's (Avatar Attack Alts) will be camping out your CQ doorsteps.

AAA that's pretty clever.

vitoc erryday

Espen Egak
The Biscuit Factory
#4249 - 2012-04-10 07:28:39 UTC
Paragon Renegade wrote:
Tristan North wrote:
mkint wrote:
hooray, yet another thread about how "I want EVE to die, so I can Barbie!"

edit: and depending on how you interpret the pacing of that interview, it could very easily be that Hilmar's intention is "I am working on FiS because players are making me. Once we've done that with a halfassed winter expansion, the summer is going to be an Apocrypha-sized WIS expansion." And gawd, I hope that's not true, but I have the horrible horrible feeling that it prove to be, and that it will be the final end of EVE.

Hooray, yet another post about how "I want just play with colored squares!"
Get out? Hooray!


Eve is a game about spaceships & explosions.

Unless WiS suddenly becomes a TPS/FPS with pulse-pounding action & buttloads of explosions for hours on end, flying around in a spaceship is going to take more priority in a game set in space featuring spaceships.


Well WiS Could be a way to meet players and mercs from Dust too .. CCP could implement some mechanic that made it possible for EvE and Dust players to interact at some sort of bar or cantina. WiS just gives that RPG part of EvE a little boost in my opinion not that im gonna really use it but there is others out there that will.
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#4250 - 2012-04-10 07:39:31 UTC
RAP ACTION HERO wrote:

AAA that's pretty clever.

I probably should refer to them as : Triple A's
Rek Seven
The Persuaders
#4251 - 2012-04-10 08:20:52 UTC
Vertisce Soritenshi wrote:
There were some pretty cool things at one of the Fanfest's that was showing off some mini games in station. There was some kind of TBS game game that was like Chinese Checkers for EvE as well as a couple of other things. Those are more than welcome to be in stations, but we still need really good EvE centric gameplay to go with it. In other words, shooting people.

I remember back in the day when I played Asherons Call, they introduced these Chess boards in certain places in the world and you and another person could play against each other. The peices you used were representations of the creatures you killed in the game and the Chess board was life sized. It was fun on the PvP server, running up to someone playing chess and laying waste to their body with a flurry of daggers.


-1
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4252 - 2012-04-10 13:33:19 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
Vertisce Soritenshi wrote:
There were some pretty cool things at one of the Fanfest's that was showing off some mini games in station. There was some kind of TBS game game that was like Chinese Checkers for EvE as well as a couple of other things. Those are more than welcome to be in stations, but we still need really good EvE centric gameplay to go with it. In other words, shooting people.

I remember back in the day when I played Asherons Call, they introduced these Chess boards in certain places in the world and you and another person could play against each other. The peices you used were representations of the creatures you killed in the game and the Chess board was life sized. It was fun on the PvP server, running up to someone playing chess and laying waste to their body with a flurry of daggers.


-1

-1 to you too scrub.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Meryl SinGarda
Belligerent Underpaid Tactical Team
#4253 - 2012-04-10 13:40:43 UTC
Where's the guy who said WiS/Ambulation wouldn't be worth it unless it contained explosions and pulse-pounding combat? I want to tell him how much of an average-Joe, American caricature he is.
oldbutfeelingyoung
Perkone
Caldari State
#4254 - 2012-04-10 15:30:15 UTC  |  Edited by: oldbutfeelingyoung
Kengutsi Akira wrote:
Paragon Renegade wrote:
Tristan North wrote:
mkint wrote:
hooray, yet another thread about how "I want EVE to die, so I can Barbie!"

edit: and depending on how you interpret the pacing of that interview, it could very easily be that Hilmar's intention is "I am working on FiS because players are making me. Once we've done that with a halfassed winter expansion, the summer is going to be an Apocrypha-sized WIS expansion." And gawd, I hope that's not true, but I have the horrible horrible feeling that it prove to be, and that it will be the final end of EVE.

Hooray, yet another post about how "I want just play with colored squares!"
Get out? Hooray!


Eve is a game about spaceships & explosions.

Unless WiS suddenly becomes a TPS/FPS with pules-pounding action & buttloads of explosions for hours on end, flying around in a spaceship is going to take more priority in a game set in space featuring spaceships.


This.
Every time I see WiS people crying about their side game getting cancelled, I start hearing Charlie Sheen quotes. CCP deciding to work on WiS at this point is about as realistic as his claims.

Look, I know you all arent gonna realize this, but Ill take another stab at it anyways.

THE ONLY REASON WE FINALLY GOT WIS IS BECAUSE OF WoD.

WoD got SHELVED
WiS Got SHELVED

Its NOT a gigantic logical leap here guys n gals. WiS was Beta for WoD.

Check this out, I even have LINKS that support that claim
http://www.wodnews.net/Home/tabid/41/ctl/ArticleView/mid/401/articleId/69/New-WoD-MMO-info-from-The-Grand-Masquerade.aspx
Quote:
Incarna is actually considered a prototype, the rendering engine that will ship with the MMO will be much more advanced

They felt there was a reason to REASSURE THE WoD ppl that the engine in Incarna WASNT what was gonna ship with THEIR MMO

Now that WoD isnt coming out any time soon theyre not working on WiS. Hell they announced the "back burner"ing of both projects on the same day. They could have at least pretended there wasnt a connection but they didnt lol

Now I get that a lot of this delusional WiS crowd hasnt been in EVE long as they "Just signed up for WiS", but CCP has a track record. When they stop work on a feature. They dont go back to it. See Faction Warfare and a slew of others.
WiS will be worked on again when WoD is being worked on again, and not before.




WOD is still having a 60 men dev team working on it as i recall it right.
Some interview with Hilmar i think,where Hilmar was talking about WOD

So pls don,t repeat old trolls and make one of your own

R.S.I2014

Rico Ramos
See Red
#4255 - 2012-04-10 17:50:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Rico Ramos
Richard Hammond II wrote:
you want Gold ammo

Im glad CCP didnt listen to people like you and listened to the ppl that were leavin

I hope they never do either

plenty of games out there for you with p2w schemes, go to them, stop trying to turn this into one


I love gold ammo. Looks good when flying thru space hitting its target. In fact I like red ammo more makes me look more menacing. Green ammo would remind me too much of starwars. Big smile Sorry when people mention gold ammo, I think stay away from dumb people at all times. Min. 25 feet please. Blink

As for the people who left, they were the WiS'ers. While yeah some were of other professions, I would argue mostly a mixed bag of players. But your lame argument of it being only the non WiS wanting people is false. You can spin it how ever you want it but it'll still be false. So go ahead tell me I'm wrong please, pretty please. Roll

Pay2Win games, hmmm. I don't know of any but I do know a Play2Win game such as eve and it's multi-toons/one player Incursion fleets and its pirate gate camping for loot instead of buying it on the market or missioning for isk. Or even buying plex on the market so you'll never have to pay for the game again, then get a few 10k friends to vote for you on as the CSM. But I degress...

But what I really wanted to say was. I'm glad CCP didn't listen to people like you and listened to the people that left. I hope that CCP will continue to listen to it's player base which is everyone and help achieve a better game Universe to include multi aspects of Eve life. WiS, FiS, Dust, PI, Mining rings and asteroids and just doing what ever they want.

Internet Space Ships is Serious Business

Darth Gustav
Sith Interstellar Tech Harvesting
#4256 - 2012-04-10 18:24:03 UTC
What's with all this talk of [REDACTED] in here?

I thought that was restricted to a few CCP hand-picked threads?

BTW I'm all for CCP banning [REDACTED] if it turns out he's not really as sad as he led us to believe.

Oh you were talking about Walking In Stations? Oh well.

The same as above, then.

He who trolls trolls best when he who is trolled trolls the troller. -Darth Gustav's Axiom

Rico Ramos
See Red
#4257 - 2012-04-10 18:31:04 UTC
oldbutfeelingyoung wrote:
Kengutsi Akira wrote:


This.
Every time I see WiS people crying about their side game getting cancelled, I start hearing Charlie Sheen quotes. CCP deciding to work on WiS at this point is about as realistic as his claims.

Look, I know you all arent gonna realize this, but Ill take another stab at it anyways.

THE ONLY REASON WE FINALLY GOT WIS IS BECAUSE OF WoD.

WoD got SHELVED
WiS Got SHELVED

Its NOT a gigantic logical leap here guys n gals. WiS was Beta for WoD.

Check this out, I even have LINKS that support that claim
http://www.wodnews.net/Home/tabid/41/ctl/ArticleView/mid/401/articleId/69/New-WoD-MMO-info-from-The-Grand-Masquerade.aspx
Quote:
Incarna is actually considered a prototype, the rendering engine that will ship with the MMO will be much more advanced

They felt there was a reason to REASSURE THE WoD ppl that the engine in Incarna WASNT what was gonna ship with THEIR MMO

Now that WoD isnt coming out any time soon theyre not working on WiS. Hell they announced the "back burner"ing of both projects on the same day. They could have at least pretended there wasnt a connection but they didnt lol

Now I get that a lot of this delusional WiS crowd hasnt been in EVE long as they "Just signed up for WiS", but CCP has a track record. When they stop work on a feature. They dont go back to it. See Faction Warfare and a slew of others.
WiS will be worked on again when WoD is being worked on again, and not before.




WOD is still having a 60 men dev team working on it as i recall it right.
Some interview with Hilmar i think,where Hilmar was talking about WOD

So pls don,t repeat old trolls and make one of your own



Did anyone even watch Fanfest? Or are people purposely distorting the truth. I feel like I'm in church and at the GOP convention at the same time. ARGH.

Ok WiS nor WOD have been shelved. And yes WiS was beta(ish) for WOD, which makes great business since. (not going to get into it here on why). But our CEO did say its the future version. WiS is gonna happen, it needs to before someone does it better than CCP. It's just the natural progression of the game. In my heart I think (sorry for beating a dead horse) the way it was forced on players was dead wrong. (did anyone learn from sony and SWG? ... o.O oh wait... I forgot ....LOL DOH!) I wonder if I should go on... I pray for Dust 514 now Ugh

Internet Space Ships is Serious Business

Scitor Nantom
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4258 - 2012-04-10 20:02:31 UTC
Blatant Forum Alt wrote:
Im still waiting for someone to explain how WiS will add to my gameplay experience in any way at all. From what has been said, it sounds like a horrific crossbreed of Club Penguin, Red Light District and Facebook Poker.

Why would you want to inflict that monstrosity upon other players?

And before you all start saying "well you can just turn off the Club Red Light Poker", CCP actually have to develop it first. To put it in words you might understand, its Opportunity Cost, just like the idiot free mineralists. If CCP spend the thousands of man hours required to make WiS 'work', that is thousands of man hours that are not being spent on fixing Eve. You know, that spaceship game we all play, and most of us have subs for. With spaceships.

Anti-WiS people are not selfish, it is actually the WiS crowd who want to deprive the community of a huge range of potential fixes and expansions to existing content, because they want to tie up CCP producing what will inevitably be a steaming pile of horse faeces for months and months. The player base would benefit from the game itself being fixed and improved, not some flashy gimmick.

However, if CCP did ditch WiS, and instead allowed us to use the Avatar technology (or whatever it is called) to use our capsuleers in Dust... all would be forgiven.


I support WiS, but not just for club/bar/strategy game stuff. That's fluff that adds atmosphere, and fun... especially if you are camped in a base, hehe.

No, I support WiS because it's a road to more ways of fun. I have a vision where we can explore planets or derelict space stations and find rare items in both. I have a vision of being in a station that's under attack and you see and hear alarms going off and the station shaking. The ultimate for me would be a way to space walk... yes, Walking In Space! This would be a very hard skill to train that would allow you to done a spacesuit and infiltrate an enemy ship to try to take it down via sabotage or assassinating the pod pilot.

On that vein, how about where you could interact with your crew in some way?

How's that for awesome?
HELIC0N ONE
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#4259 - 2012-04-10 20:07:35 UTC  |  Edited by: HELIC0N ONE
Vetorept Fera wrote:
So...what's the plan for WiS?

Big smile


Its on the back burner until CCP come up with some actual gameplay for it, rather than the "Buy monocles! Pretend to get drunk in a bar! Repackage old features from the hangar view!" approach of the last few years.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#4260 - 2012-04-10 20:14:26 UTC
Scitor Nantom wrote:
(...)

On that vein, how about where you could interact with your crew in some way?

How's that for awesome?


That's against the lore. You're a capsuleer in a hydrostatic pod at the core of your ship. Your crew never sees you and they merely obey the commands the ship delivers to them under your control.

You're not Jean Luc Picard. You're Queen Borg and your crew are your little borgettes, completely expendable and easily replaceable.