These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

CCP! Please clarify the future plans for WiS!

First post
Author
Kuronaga
Fatal Absolution
#2701 - 2012-01-19 23:39:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Kuronaga
CCP RedDawn wrote:
@DeMichael Crimson

Indeed I am the Quality Assurance member of the team, but rest assured that all of Team Avatar, and not just myself, care very much for the overall quality of all the features that we release to your good selves in the future.

We all know the failure of releasing unfinished content early and the joy of releasing successful content correctly.
Only one of the above experiences has proved to be beneficial to both yourselves, and us.
So we know where to aim.

Thanks again for the welcome and for all the positivity that this thread contains.


ps: "Reanimate".... sounds like more corpse chat to me. :)
(but we know what you mean)



Low man on the totem pole eh? You have my sympathy.

Let me know if this sounds right. QA have the most thankless job in existence and usually not very well paying either. Nine times out of ten they go through great lengths to find just about every minor bug in existence doing things most players would never even consider trying.

After that, typically a small portion of them get fixed by the code monkeys due to time constraints and inability to figure out what the hell is causing them, most get forgotten and re-reported later as they continue to show up, and more continue to get created over time. To cope with fast-releasing content like major expansions you usually have to put in a lot of extra crunch time leading up to release that not only borders on worker abuse, but starts to cause delusions about becoming a small humming bird.

All the while the ignorant playerbase looks at the small QA team who is overworked to hell and back and blames them for everything.

Sound about right?
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#2702 - 2012-01-20 06:39:36 UTC
CCP RedDawn wrote:
@DeMichael Crimson

Indeed I am the Quality Assurance member of the team, but rest assured that all of Team Avatar, and not just myself, care very much for the overall quality of all the features that we release to your good selves in the future.

We all know the failure of releasing unfinished content early and the joy of releasing successful content correctly.
Only one of the above experiences has proved to be beneficial to both yourselves, and us.
So we know where to aim.

Thanks again for the welcome and for all the positivity that this thread contains.


ps: "Reanimate".... sounds like more corpse chat to me. :)
(but we know what you mean)


Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully the rest of the team will help make your job a little bit easier.

I'm sure that if everyone, including upper management, has the 'Commitment To Excellence' attitude and delivers within a reasonable time frame, we the player base will be very much surprised, amazed, happy and grateful for CCP's hard work.


P.S.
Well, guess I was 'Dead' tired when I made that suggestion.

Roll

Flamespar
WarRavens
#2703 - 2012-01-20 07:12:14 UTC
CCP Bayesian wrote:
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Well, that could be a first goal. The point is, they don't have that technology yet. As Mashie put it, the CQ currently is a client-side feature and the only functionality it haves is the in-world UI (holograms).

it's kinda puzzling to try to figure what they did expect to do with Incarna, actually, provided it is a single player client side environment and they don't even have the foundations to make it multiplayer.


There is a lot more there on the technology side than is visible in the current Incarna feature set. There's also a lot more work to do though. To ease some of the more worried minds I can say that we have had multiple avatars walking around in the same environment together.


If you include a video of multiple avatars in the same environment in the upcoming devblog, I'm sure it will be well recieved (and shut up some trolls .. for a while).
Sheik Nanook
Villanova Junction
#2704 - 2012-01-20 08:34:31 UTC
CCP Oveur, 460 days ago:

"Personally, I'm looking forward for gambling... I'd like to see people gambling their Titans away..."

Well guess what, so do I...
Soulpirate
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2705 - 2012-01-20 18:42:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Soulpirate
Sheik Nanook wrote:
CCP Oveur, 460 days ago:

"Personally, I'm looking forward for gambling... I'd like to see people gambling their Titans away..."

Well guess what, so do I...

Gaming rooms are a must imo. I was thinking about Hold'em and how
it could work.

I picture a room with a table much like any other online gaming site. However,
this room would be a 3D enviroment(obviously), where you are the only "live"
avatar at the table while the others are hologram projections at the table with you.

This would allow you to walk (zone) into a poker room and play with people who are
perhaps on another station on the other side of the verse. With this you bypass
needing to find people on the same station to play with, and you cut down on
resoueces needed to draw the room, as the other players would be simplified
renders.

Enter the room, pick a table from a list showing who is at the tables, min/max
bets etc etc etc.

There would be a dealer at the table ofc, and ofc the house could take fee of
some sort, adding an isk sink.

EVE voice would be great as well.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#2706 - 2012-01-20 22:46:53 UTC
Oh sure, I stop checking this thread every day for a few and all the Dev's start posting in it. Smile

My initial thoughts (outside of game development concepts) was pretty well summed up in post #14.

Priorities

It looks like my view at that time and what has come to be are pretty much in sync.

Team Avatar looks like the perfect line up to clean things up and work on the plan... which is exactly what is needed.

This is excellent news... good luck Team Avatar.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Mu'ad Diib
Nul-Bridge Industrial Technologies
#2707 - 2012-01-21 13:23:38 UTC
There are a huge amount of posts to this thread, (2,706 posts as I wrote this one) and in all honesty, I'd have to say that I've not read all 136 pages. Basically if I repeat something someone else has said/dealt with/etc then I apologise.

This all having been said here's my four pence worth:

I really love playing Eve. For me personally around 60% of the enjoyment of the game is being out in a ship doing stuff, flying, mining, running missions and so my bias is for slightly more Flying In Space, (FiS) improvements.

Having said this I do occasionally dock (!) so I do like the idea of improvements on this front also. However I'm not all interested in being able to play poker with other players, (I really think if this is what interests you you should go elsewhere) or in super flash interior decoration, (which is pretty unnecessary in my view) and only makes the game run slower on my computer, nothing else.

I do occasionally walk around a bit but the worth of being able to do this, is, in my humble opinion, fairly limited. Look I can walk anywhere I like at the moment. I can't fly in space and that's why I play Eve!

What improvements would I like to see?

A cockpit view option would be nice and even useful in some situations;

More precise control of thrusters while in space - how about a click and drag control?

A couple of others:

Much bigger secure cargo containers that can be anchored securely in space for the use of corporation members - 3000 m³ is frankly a bit of a joke, (read: a total joke);

More control over the size of fonts and other aspects of the user interface would also be good while you're at it.

Bear

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. When I die, all those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#2708 - 2012-01-21 17:48:58 UTC
Started a thread to discuss Pre-Production for Incarna HUGZ expansion.


https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=685061#post685061

Where I am.

Elanor Vega
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#2709 - 2012-01-24 12:43:09 UTC
I hope that WiS will be out as soon as possible.
Without WiS EVE don't have long lifespan.
Lexmana
#2710 - 2012-01-24 12:48:11 UTC
Elanor Vega wrote:
I hope that WiS will be out as soon as possible.
Without WiS EVE don't have long lifespan.


lol, you are cute.
Elanor Vega
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#2711 - 2012-01-25 12:03:30 UTC
Lexmana wrote:
Elanor Vega wrote:
I hope that WiS will be out as soon as possible.
Without WiS EVE don't have long lifespan.


lol, you are cute.


thnx.
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#2712 - 2012-01-25 12:05:20 UTC
Elanor Vega wrote:
I hope that WiS will be out as soon as possible.
Without WiS EVE don't have long lifespan.


An interesting statement about an 8 year old game.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Elanor Vega
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#2713 - 2012-01-25 20:15:00 UTC
Lors Dornick wrote:
Elanor Vega wrote:
I hope that WiS will be out as soon as possible.
Without WiS EVE don't have long lifespan.


An interesting statement about an 8 year old game.



I am talking about future from now... not form 8 years ago.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#2714 - 2012-01-25 20:20:45 UTC
Elanor Vega wrote:
Lors Dornick wrote:
Elanor Vega wrote:
I hope that WiS will be out as soon as possible.
Without WiS EVE don't have long lifespan.


An interesting statement about an 8 year old game.



I am talking about future from now... not form 8 years ago.


I can't get on board with that, although I understand the sentiment.

I can easily imagine years and years of future development of EVE's FIS content.

That being said I can also easily envision years and years of WIS content that compliments and enhances that future (and present) FIS content.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Mukuro Gravedigger
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#2715 - 2012-01-25 20:30:18 UTC
I'll play the sarcastic advocate:

Once WIS is released, Eve as we know it will die.

I do not offer any support for this claim, but you should take it at face value.

If Eve is to grow after being stagnant since its release, then CCP better snap to it soon, or millions upon millions of potential subs will go to the next great Eve killer game - trust me, I know.

Also, I know the winning lottery numbers to tomorrow's drawing, but will tell nobody nor play either. Roll
Asuka Solo
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#2716 - 2012-01-25 20:38:39 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
Elanor Vega wrote:
Lors Dornick wrote:
Elanor Vega wrote:
I hope that WiS will be out as soon as possible.
Without WiS EVE don't have long lifespan.


An interesting statement about an 8 year old game.



I am talking about future from now... not form 8 years ago.


I can't get on board with that, although I understand the sentiment.

I can easily imagine years and years of future development of EVE's FIS content.

That being said I can also easily envision years and years of WIS content that compliments and enhances that future (and present) FIS content.


You mean another 10 years of the same old stuff for the same small brains?

Yea... I can see that.

Incarna 2.0 won't subtract from the FiS crowd, since they wont ever use that side of eve. It'l be like finding hardcore wh/0.0 pvpers in hisec with a hulk, eyeing local like a hawk. Never gonna happen. Incarna 2.0 will however, just add more value to eve and attract a wider fan base.

Can't wait for the days when I don't have to undock at all to make a living.

Eve is about Capital ships, WiS, Boobs, PI and Isk!

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#2717 - 2012-01-25 20:43:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Asuka Solo wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
Elanor Vega wrote:
Lors Dornick wrote:
Elanor Vega wrote:
I hope that WiS will be out as soon as possible.
Without WiS EVE don't have long lifespan.


An interesting statement about an 8 year old game.



I am talking about future from now... not form 8 years ago.


I can't get on board with that, although I understand the sentiment.

I can easily imagine years and years of future development of EVE's FIS content.

That being said I can also easily envision years and years of WIS content that compliments and enhances that future (and present) FIS content.


You mean another 10 years of the same old stuff for the same small brains?

Yea... I can see that.

Incarna 2.0 won't subtract from the FiS crowd, since they wont ever use that side of eve. It'l be like finding hardcore wh/0.0 pvpers in hisec with a hulk, eyeing local like a hawk. Never gonna happen. Incarna 2.0 will however, just add more value to eve and attract a wider fan base.

Can't wait for the days when I don't have to undock at all to make a living.


EVE today is radically different in countless ways from when it was released 9 years ago.

Aside from that point, we appear to be somewhat in agreement.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Crucis Cassiopeiae
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#2718 - 2012-01-25 22:49:37 UTC
Sorry, but, game can not live from fixes.
Game need new game inside it to live again.

EVE didn't have proper expansion for years now.
And you can see where that lead.

I think that WiS, if done well, is the only thing that can save EVE now.

Vote Issler Dainze for CSM7! http://community.eveonline.com/council/voting/Vote.asp?c=470 

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#2719 - 2012-01-25 22:55:02 UTC
Asuka Solo wrote:

Can't wait for the days when I don't have to undock at all to make a living.


You mean exactly like I already do with this toon and the appropriate skills? Doc has not undocked in years.








There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#2720 - 2012-01-25 22:56:03 UTC
Crucis Cassiopeiae wrote:

EVE didn't have proper FIS expansion for years now.
And you can see where that lead.



Fixed that for you.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.