These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Republic denies Senate request to join Midular funeral procession

Author
Stitcher
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#41 - 2013-07-07 03:46:31 UTC
There's no such thing as a happy funeral, but there is such a thing as a beautiful one. I had hoped to see the thermal signature of the pyre from orbit, but of course in the event there wasn't one.

Still, it was an opportunity for reflection and, as I tend to do on such occasions, I meditated while in GeoSynchronos orbit above Mikramurka. For the Wayists here, I meditated on Mountain Wind. For non-Wayists, that means cultivating a mindset of silent observation, of keeping your counsel until it is valuable, and of speaking only when you have something worthy of being said.

I find that Mountain Wind is a useful meditation here in the Republic. I am, after all, a guest in the homelands of the Tribes and I prefer to hold my piece unless explicitly asked for my opinion. I would encourage others to think along similar lines. This is especially aimed at my own people: While I'm all for the Caldari exploiting any rift which may form between the Federation and the Republic, I'm not for assisting in forcing open that rift by shouting from the sidelines.

We're not involved, neither should we be. Opportunism is just good sense, but there's no need to break their tea set in order to invite them to drink with us. Let events unfold as they will, kirjuunen. If we are to ask that our own internal strifes be left squarely in our hands, the least we can do is give that courtesy in return.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

James Syagrius
Chatelain Auxiliary Response
Intaki-Business Logistics Union
#42 - 2013-07-07 03:52:47 UTC
Stitcher wrote:
There's no such thing as a happy funeral, but there is such a thing as a beautiful one. I had hoped to see the thermal signature of the pyre from orbit, but of course in the event there wasn't one.

Still, it was an opportunity for reflection and, as I tend to do on such occasions, I meditated while in GeoSynchronos orbit above Mikramurka. For the Wayists here, I meditated on Mountain Wind. For non-Wayists, that means cultivating a mindset of silent observation, of keeping your counsel until it is valuable, and of speaking only when you have something worthy of being said.

I find that Mountain Wind is a useful meditation here in the Republic. I am, after all, a guest in the homelands of the Tribes and I prefer to hold my piece unless explicitly asked for my opinion. I would encourage others to think along similar lines. This is especially aimed at my own people: While I'm all for the Caldari exploiting any rift which may form between the Federation and the Republic, I'm not for assisting in forcing open that rift by shouting from the sidelines.

We're not involved, neither should we be. Opportunism is just good sense, but there's no need to break their tea set in order to invite them to drink with us. Let events unfold as they will, kirjuunen. If we are to ask that our own internal strifes be left squarely in our hands, the least we can do is give that courtesy in return.

You sir, are a dangerous man.
Pieter Tuulinen
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#43 - 2013-07-07 05:03:06 UTC
Come home, Verin-suuolo. You've been away too long and things are changing, big things that your voice ought to be a part of.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Leopold Caine
Stillwater Corporation
#44 - 2013-07-07 11:06:29 UTC
So, has the funeral festivity happened yet? It's been a couple days, I'd suppose Shakor would start noticing the odor by now.
There's a political joke somewhere in there, but I'll leave it to those of you more versed in the ways of satire than I am.

Toluijin Chagangan wrote:

Syagrius, Considering your current affiliation and support of an Angel Cartel loyalist group, let me make this one thing abundantly clear :

You have no place commenting on Matari affairs.

I'm sure mr. Syagrius doesn't need my white-knighting and that it might be a bit of a derailment, but given that the majority of Angel Cartel citizens are of Matari ethnicity... you know.. yes. Yes he does.

Also, ad hominem rhetoric? In my IGS? I'm shocked. Sincerely.
  • Leopold Caine, Domination Malakim

Angels are never far...

Stillwater Corporation Recruitment Open - Angel Cartel Bloc

Niko medes
Freeman Technologies
#45 - 2013-07-07 15:13:33 UTC
As a political body, we are refused.. but as people, individuals, we are welcomed to show our respect.

If that isn't beautiful I don't know what is...

As Gallente, we are individuals first.. a Federation second. Hopefully this funeral reminds us as well as our government bodies of this ideal that is so very close to who we are.
Shintoko Akahoshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2013-07-08 15:05:10 UTC
Niko medes wrote:
As a political body, we are refused.. but as people, individuals, we are welcomed to show our respect.

I wasn't there, but if you read news accounts of the funeral, they mention "several representatives from other nations paying their respects".

Sounds like the only political body that was refused was the Senate. I wonder why that is.

Bio and writing

(Nothing I say is indicative of corporate policy unless otherwise stated)

Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#47 - 2013-07-08 16:14:29 UTC
Shintoko Akahoshi wrote:
Niko medes wrote:

I wasn't there, but if you read news accounts of the funeral, they mention "several representatives from other nations paying their respects".

Sounds like the only political body that was refused was the Senate. I wonder why that is.

I think you should carefully re-read the preceding article again before stirring the **** further by making wild assumptions out of thin air by conflating two separate events, Kaika.

The Senatorial delegates were not barred from attending the funeral. Nor from attending the procession before it. They were denied a request for a place in the procession itself - a place that was not given to anyone else either.

I would not expect to see members of the Tribal Council in a funeral procession for Roden or Foiritan. I would not expect the Council to ask for such a thing.

Nor, honestly, would I expect such a request to be granted were it made.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

Niko medes
Freeman Technologies
#48 - 2013-07-08 16:34:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Niko medes
Shintoko Akahoshi wrote:
Niko medes wrote:

Call me what you will, but for them to invite us as individuals and not as a "government trying to be overbearing" is a gesture of kindness that has a much deeper meaning in my honest opinion.

We are the only other civilization that promotes such an ideal as individualism. I hope we took the opportunity to show not only Shakor but the Minmatar people this; that we still hold at least this common ground with them in this season of tension between our two people.

I hope those Gallente that had the opportunity to attend overcame the all too common pitfall of arrogance our race tends to unintentionally adhere to. I hope they didn't take the rejection of our government attending this funeral as a sign of disrespect.
Shintoko Akahoshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2013-07-08 17:46:56 UTC
Morwen Lagann wrote:
Shintoko Akahoshi wrote:
stuff

A refutation of said stuff.

The key word in the news piece here is "representatives". Say, for example, it read "several citizens from other nations paying their respects". It would be clear that they were there as individuals to pay their respects. The word "representative" implies a more official capacity - a delegate from a nation is a representative from that nation.

I'm probably being overly pedantic, but words do form a very specific map. Yet, as Chevaign pointed out, the map is not the territory.

Bio and writing

Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#50 - 2013-07-08 17:54:42 UTC
The procession and the funeral were two entirely separate events.

The Senate was told not that they would not be allowed to attend either event, but that they would not be treated like celebrities or given any form of special treatment by allowing them to participate in the procession, which is what the request was asking for.

There is no 'map' here at all. Just you being excessively pedantic, as you accurately surmised.

I'm rather disappointed in you.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

Shintoko Akahoshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2013-07-08 18:08:37 UTC
Morwen Lagann wrote:
I'm rather disappointed in you.

That much has been clear for some time.

In any case, as you've said, all that's here is me being overly pedantic. I'm sure you're right about all of this. Out of respect for Midular's memory, I'll leave this particular discussion alone from now on.

Bio and writing

Previous page123