These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey 1.1] Skill group name changes

First post First post First post
Author
Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#101 - 2013-07-04 01:45:04 UTC
Zetrick wrote:
I have a suggestion.

Leave it.

If it aint broke don't fix itUgh

Becoming used to a broken system doesn't fix the system, change is needed.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

Allianc
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#102 - 2013-07-04 01:46:06 UTC
lets keep the Spaceship Command and Missile Launcher Operation groups. They sound nice.
Sirran The Lunatic
Pandemic Horde High Sec Division
#103 - 2013-07-04 01:47:04 UTC
Yazzinra wrote:
spaceship command, not piloting.

Agreed.

Sounds 85% lamer when placed with "Piloting"...
Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#104 - 2013-07-04 01:52:57 UTC
Edward Olmops wrote:
A few comments.

CCP should really make an effort to make EVE more beginner-friendly, no doubt.
Some skills like Multitasking and Nanite Control ought to be renamed, because the name is utterly misleading. But.

You are going way to far with this concept.

As many before me have already stated, many of the proposed name changes are uninspiring.
Space Ship Command should really be spaceship command. Really, what's the point?

Also: Every name change that you do also has a NEGATIVE impact on the playability. Simply because all ressources on the web will be outdated.
I have experienced that over and over again with previous renamings (e.g. Auto-Targeting Missiles).
Maybe a newbie didn't get what a F.O.F. missile was.
But a newbie with some minimum cleverness managed to throw that expression into Google and whoa - here we go.
But try to find something if the name has changed during the last two years...
I am really sad about what happened (not) to Evelopedia. I used that A LOT, that was one of my primary ressources when I was a noob. But now it's utterly useless, because each and every single ship and item has been rebalanced.
That should of course not imply that you stop rebalancing because of Evelopedia - God forbid!
But it shows the effect.
There should be only things renamed when it'S REALLY necessary.
And maybe it would also be noob-friendly to update Evelopedia.

That said, I for example always thought it was good that some skills (Electronics, Engineering, Social...) had the same name as their category. That way I would always know which one was the "basc" skill in the category which I needed to train first.
The one that has the most impact on what I was doing.
Compare Electronics (+5% CPU) to Target Breaker Amplification (+?% weird nonsense).
Anything that makes it more likely that new players put their energy into the important skills to let them get into the game faster is a good thing.

Leaving a messed up system of naming and hierarchy because 3rd party application producers will have to do some work isnt a valid reason for keeping things the same, if we use that logic then CCP would have to freeze all development on EVE as any development would have 3rd party app. builders doing rework.

If a 3rd party app producer cannot keep up with the game as it changes perhaps they need to stop developing apps and do something else with their time.

Taleden
North Wind Local no. 612
#105 - 2013-07-04 01:53:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Taleden
A lot of folks have been asking about attributes, but only in terms of preserving the current scheme of primary/secondary attributes affecting training time and having consistent patterns of those attributes across skills within a group.

I'd like to take that discussion a step further and ask whether attributes' effects on skill training time are really a game mechanic you want to keep, or whether it's time to let them go. The upside of that system is that it allows people to feel like they're tailoring their character toward what they want to do -- combat pilots can remap to per/wil to train almost all ship command and weapons skills, while industry characters can remap to int/mem to train science and production skills.

But the system has significant downsides as well -- it encourages people to *not* train skills that they could use in the short term, simply because training against their current remap would be "less efficient" than waiting until they can remap attributes. This is especially bothersome for brand new combat pilots who need lots of int/mem support skills to go with their per/wil combat skills. Those pilots must make a lame choice: train "inefficiently" in order to get all the skills they need, or use up bonus remaps or wait over a year before they can be combat-effective.

I'm not sure the upsides really outweigh the downsides at this point. You made a similar conclusion about the Learning skills years ago, and I think that was the correct one, but I think it's time now to make the next step and do away with attributes affecting skill training time.

The simple fix is to just remove attributes entirely, but that would be frowned on by everyone who's invested in expensive implants. Another possible alternative is to let attributes grant some slight amplification of the skills they affect, rather than a training time bonus. So, for example, remapping to per/wil grants an extra +5% amplifier to all skills which are governed by per/wil (i.e. Surgical Strike grants +3% turret damage per level if you're remapped to int/mem, but +3.15% per level if you're mapped per/wil).

Regardless, I'd love some discussion of whether the skill training time optimization mechanic via attributes and remaps is really an interesting enough game mechanic to be worth the un-fun waiting-to-train or training-inefficiently gameplay that it brings along with it.

Edit: Since Ripard Teg's opinion surely carries more weight than mine, here is his similar take on this subject from a few years ago: http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2011/10/death-to-attributes.html
Bob Shaftoes
TURN LEFT
#106 - 2013-07-04 01:54:01 UTC
I too wish to know what effect this is going to have on skill attributes

Right now they are all grouped into pairs of attributes which are basically given via what skill category you are in.

Spaceship command and gunnery are per / will and electronics / engineering are always int / mem

Will all this shifting around change the attributes of the skills as defined by the category or will they stay the same?

Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#107 - 2013-07-04 02:01:01 UTC
Taya Greathame wrote:
As someone else has said, fix things stop changing things.

Rebalancing was annoying, giving tech one ships tech style roles. what fun can i have in a osprey now?

Dumb the game down, hope to increase subscription figures and playerbase.

gna start saving to buy my skillpoints.

Ps, EA gonna ruin you.

1. They are fixing a broken system.
2. Off topic references aren't helpful to the current topic of discussion.
3. See also: Standard Bitter Vet Post (SBVP)

Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#108 - 2013-07-04 02:12:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Maldiro Selkurk
Sofia Roseburn wrote:
Don't fix what isn't broken.

Exactly !

But DO fix a very broken skill naming structure and heirarchy:

example: weapon upgrades which affects missiles is listed under turrets and i personally took a month to realize it was there, probably would have been longer if i wasn't an avid help channel watcher.

Also, what exactly does weapons upgrades mean, that we can paint them pink, that we can make them look like elephants spewing fire, what? the name implies almost nothing, it's too vague.

Just one of many changes that are currently needed.

Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Pandemic Horde
#109 - 2013-07-04 02:28:50 UTC
If you are going to change Spaceship Command to something, go with Starship Control. :p

Something else I'd look at it is to combine the two specialization skills for each gun type in the gunnery tree into something resembling what you find in the missile tree, like heavy missile specialization.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Mirel Dystoph
Perkone
Caldari State
#110 - 2013-07-04 02:30:18 UTC
This whole idea is one of the worst since the item renaming thing.

Just don't touch it.

Or maybe just touch what is broken. (Hint: Not everything is broken)

"Nothing essential happens in the absence of noise." 

Draconic Slayer
Full Broadside
Deepwater Hooligans
#111 - 2013-07-04 02:51:00 UTC
ChromeStriker wrote:
※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※

Keep Electronics and Engineering names the same... might just be nestalgia but never heard they were a problem... seems quite straightforward to me.

Targeting - Target Acquisition

Multitasking - Advanced Target Acquisition

※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※

Yes.

Sentient Blade wrote:
Electronic Systems sounds vague. I think I'd much rather see the group called Electronic Warfare and the existing Electronic Warfare skill become Sensor Jamming.

Lumping Weapon Upgrades in with PG Enhancements seems odd, considering it's a perception / willpower branch and everything else is Int / Mem.

Yes.

Harvey James wrote:
how about renaming hull upgrades to armour integrity so it actually explains that it improves your armour HP
and same with mechanics becoming structural integrity.

maybe split hull upgrades into its own skill because of the other mods that use it still.

Also it begs the question why do Assault frigs need mechanics lv5 as a prereq? .. weapon upgrades lv4 perhaps instead

Yes.

Also, keep Planetary Interaction skills in their own independent category along with Spaceship Command the same.
MItchell Jensen
The Black Widow Company.
#112 - 2013-07-04 03:08:42 UTC
Some of those names are really... boring. They don't really sound that science fictiony.

I mean seriously, Spaceship Piloting?

You're giving skills for adults to fly kilometer long ships that have the capability of putting a hole in the crust of a planet and you're making our skills sound like we're still in the 8th grade.

I know my disagreement will not be recognised (I'm also convinced that only 2 people will read this) but all in all I'm a bit disappointed with this naming change.

CCP Dropbear: rofl

edit: ah crap, dev account. Oh well, official rofl at you sir.

Sarkelias Anophius
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#113 - 2013-07-04 03:16:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarkelias Anophius
These changes are moronic and cater to people too illiterate and incapable to be playing this game to begin with. I do not approve of any of these changes and hope they are withdrawn.

This smells of the homogenization and nerfing that has sent every other MMO into the dirt. This game is what it is because it requires attention and some reading skills. I do not want to lose this to the crybaby masses.
Brother Mercury
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#114 - 2013-07-04 03:17:17 UTC
CCP Ytterbium wrote:

...things...

Okay, I guess.

Now go spend your time doing something important.
Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#115 - 2013-07-04 03:18:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Destination SkillQueue
Sounds mostly fine, but I really don't like spaceship piloting. It's meh to start with and sounds like many of the navigation skills could/should belong in it. Spaceship command sounds better and is much more clearly separated from the actual navigation of a spaceship. I mean we would have spaceship piloting in the new systems, but skills like acceleration control, evasive maneuvering and high speed maneuvering aren't related to piloting a spaceship? If I didn't know it's just a renamed command group, that is the first place I'd expect to find skills, that affect my ability to better maneuver a spaceship.
Lord Jita
Lord Jita's Big Gay Corp
#116 - 2013-07-04 03:30:35 UTC
Multiple Targeting -----> Multi Targeting
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#117 - 2013-07-04 03:35:01 UTC
Good to see that your team is hard at it changing fields in the database.

What are you guys going to do for the other 364 days of the coming year?
Rena Monachica
Capital Hot Rods
#118 - 2013-07-04 03:35:11 UTC
looks ok

I could live without the change, but whatever floats your boat

anyway, keep Spaceship Command. Piloting just sounds lame
Balmer Banshot
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#119 - 2013-07-04 03:35:18 UTC
I think some CCP employees have too much time on their hands. How about spending it on something besides name changing? There are plenty of in-game mechanics that need looked at, lots of additional features that your playerbase has been looking for....and you pull out Thesaurus 101. gg ccp.
Kumduh
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#120 - 2013-07-04 03:36:33 UTC
I would leave Weapon Upgrades and AWU in Gunnery since their primary/secondary stats are more in line with that group. They would be the only ones in the new Engineering group that would be Perception/Willpower.