These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Teenage gamer may go to prison for 8 years.

First post
Author
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#361 - 2013-07-09 16:37:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Slade Trillgon
Keira Kashuken wrote:
Max Godsnottlingson wrote:
You know what.

While this certainly displayes the flaws within the US legal system, and that's not just knocking the US, as I gather that there is a similer case happening in the UK.

I actually find it difficult to have any sympathy at all for this rather stupid little boy.

"It was only a joke" The famous defence of just about every bully that has been caught out.

Trolls and so called 'hacktavist' have been pigging the world off for, as long as the internet has been about, and it looks like the worlds patience is starting to run out. The fact that I am typing this may be evidence, as once I would have been in the front line of shouting in support of the lad. But now it's more a case off "To***r, got what he deserves."

That is wrong I know, but perhaps it is evidence of how uncaring the world is becoming, I don't know. What I do know, is that this youth is not high on my list of priorities to beat a drum on to defend.

He made a damn joke. He didnt hurt anybody, sure he went too far but they threw him into a cell for several months before his case went to a judge.

It doesn't even matter what happens now, the guy's life is trashed, he is done.

A proper sentence would have been to let him clean a park for a month or do some other social work, show him what responsibility means. But you cant throw a teenager in a cell for something he SAID. I mean what would happened to him if he hit somebody in the face once? Instant death sentence? This whole case is just ridiculous, if he would have said these things to somebody in public he would have been scolded by his parents and it would have been ok.

But hey he said it on Facebook so better go and shatter his ******* live wohooo.

He has not been tried yet ;)

Also, I would like to see a comedian pull of this child's line in their stand up.

EDIT: He was 'thrown' in jail as anyone that would joke like this definitely has zero empathy.... and that can potentially lead to other negative actions in many individuals.

EDIT 2: Also, his life is not ruined. He will server whatever punishment the court deals and then he can turn it around to a positive life learning experience if he so chooses.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#362 - 2013-07-09 16:40:55 UTC
Keira Kashuken wrote:

He made a damn joke.

If that is folk's idea of a 'joke' (which it is NOT), I'd hate to see what you consider a legitimate threat.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#363 - 2013-07-09 16:41:48 UTC
In fact, why does someone not re-work the quote into a legitimate threat and let's look at the difference..........

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#364 - 2013-07-09 16:55:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Slade Trillgon
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
In fact, why does someone not re-work the quote into a legitimate threat and let's look at the difference..........

“He replied ‘Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts,’

All that is omitted is the lol's and the jk's.
Keira Kashuken
Daikoku Innovations
#365 - 2013-07-09 17:08:32 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Keira Kashuken wrote:

He made a damn joke.

If that is folk's idea of a 'joke' (which it is NOT), I'd hate to see what you consider a legitimate threat.

Well he deserves to be punished.
But he is a teenager, not a seasoned criminal that broke yet another law, so punish him like a teenager.

And like I said, if he would have said the very same things in public he would have been picked up by the police, driven home and likely would have gotten some social work, but thats it.

People just flip out because it was on Facebook.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#366 - 2013-07-09 17:17:27 UTC
Keira Kashuken wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Keira Kashuken wrote:

He made a damn joke.

But he is a teenager, not a seasoned criminal that broke yet another law, so punish him like a teenager.

And like I said, if he would have said the very same things in public he would have been picked up by the police, driven home and likely would have gotten some social work, but thats it.

Yeah. 8 years in prison is a bit much, but he deserves something. Well, even if nothing is done, this is certainly going to show up and haunt him when he is seeking employment in the future.

It is indeed ruined for him.....and by his own hand.

Maybe the law should lay off after all, as it seems the situation already has enough appropriate consequences.

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#367 - 2013-07-09 17:26:30 UTC
Keira Kashuken wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Keira Kashuken wrote:

He made a damn joke.

8 years is ridiculous, but community service is not enough. You take away the 'lols' and 'jk's what this child said is a legitimate threat. The fact that one would say something like he said is an indication that there is little empathy in the individual. This does not mean the individual is definitely on the path to a homicidal break out, but if the authorities shrugged it off and then the individual turned around and acted upon their words, the authorities would have their lives drawn through the dirt. Point being, people should learn that just because you are not in public the power of your words do not lose their power.

Lol's and Jk's do not erase the previous statement and do not diminish the ridiculousness of the statement.

Again, I will say I would like to see someone use this child's words in a stand up comedy act in public and see what the response is.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#368 - 2013-07-09 17:33:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Of course, it would be weird if an employer found someones EVE account, as anonymous as it is. But these same "kids" post on many other forums under real names. Also, it's fairly easy to do cross-checking to discover identities. And who knows what their access capabilities will be in the near future to actually trace back browser histories (don't even think it's not done).

Wow. Will anybody under the age of 18 now actually be able to find employment after employers see all the nonsense they have posted over the years ? I wouldn't hire any of them.

That's another problem with the coddled "everyone gets a trophy" millenials. They absolutely do not think even 5 minutes into the future.....and the consequences it can sow, and oh so generously too.

Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#369 - 2013-07-09 18:36:48 UTC
Call me old-school, but I still find it hard to say a bad joke constitutes mens rea.

But, by all means continue to tell us how you would persecute a teenager for a joke in poor taste.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#370 - 2013-07-09 18:44:44 UTC
Tumahub wrote:
Call me old-school, but I still find it hard to say a bad joke constitutes mens rea.

But, by all means continue to tell us how you would persecute a teenager for a joke in poor taste.

Huh ? I didn't even start. How can I continue ??

Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#371 - 2013-07-09 18:53:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Tumahub
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Yeah. 8 years in prison is a bit much, but he deserves something.

What does he deserve?

Slade Trillgon wrote:

8 years is ridiculous, but community service is not enough.

Just to be clear, I was responding to both of you.

(Because I find your circle-jerk of agreement about his guilt to be nauseating.)
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#372 - 2013-07-09 19:14:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Slade Trillgon
Tumahub wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Yeah. 8 years in prison is a bit much, but he deserves something.

What does he deserve?

Slade Trillgon wrote:

8 years is ridiculous, but community service is not enough.

Just to be clear, I was responding to both of you.

(Because I find your circle-jerk of agreement about his guilt to be nauseating.)

Well go stick a finger down your throat then and alleviate your discomfort.

Again, use this child's "joke" in stand up and see how many laughs you get. That's right, you have not the cojones to do that. It is also not ironic in the least that it is someone that supports this child's lack of tact and idiocy that is nauseated by others opinions.
Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#373 - 2013-07-09 19:25:05 UTC
So you admit it was a joke that you want a child sent to prison for, to be raped and made into a human symbol of what's wrong with our society.

Good for you man. Stand up for what you believe in!
Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#374 - 2013-07-09 19:27:39 UTC
Hey, you know what's really tough and manly and shows everyone you mean business?

Drinking bleach.
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#375 - 2013-07-09 19:43:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Slade Trillgon
Tumahub wrote:
So you admit it was a joke that you want a child sent to prison for, to be raped and made into a human symbol of what's wrong with our society.

Good for you man. Stand up for what you believe in!

Quote me where i said he should do jail time. All I said was simple community service was too easy.

And let me be clear fine sir. I can almost guarantee that i have said worse things in my past, but you know what? I knew who the **** my audience was. This kid is a prime example of the morons that are raising children today, period.

EDIT: Also, I did not say it was a joke either (I forgot the quotation marks), I said I would like to see you, or anyone for that matter, to try and pull his lines off in comedy.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#376 - 2013-07-09 19:46:31 UTC
Max Godsnottlingson wrote:
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Slade Trillgon wrote:
Could it be that he is on suicide watch because trained professionals deemed him a suicide risk, which calls into question his level of mental stability Roll

Yay, and maybe he just was like that before being imprisoned and abused in jail, all because of a joke. Roll

And as I said earlier "It was a joke" is the favorite battle cry of all bullies.

Straw man argument. Saying something bullies say doesn't turns you into a bully. He did nothing. Actually, he was picked and called insane, thus he answered to that.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#377 - 2013-07-09 19:50:25 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:
[(...)

Quote me where i said he should do jail time. All I said was simple community service was too easy.

And let me be clear fine sir. I can almost guarantee that i have said worse things in my past, but you know what? I knew who the **** my audience was. (...)

Yes, luckily it didn't included a wannabe cybercop in another country, with access to your personal data and the common sense of a dead amoeba. Roll

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#378 - 2013-07-09 19:53:05 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Slade Trillgon wrote:
[(...)

And let me be clear fine sir. I can almost guarantee that i have said worse things in my past, but you know what? I knew who the **** my audience was. (...)

Yes, luckily it didn't included a wannabe cybercop in another country, with access to your personal data and the common sense of a dead amoeba. Roll

So maybe people should be more carefull with how they act in public Shocked
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#379 - 2013-07-09 20:14:18 UTC
Tumahub wrote:
Hey, you know what's really tough and manly and shows everyone you mean business?

Drinking bleach.

You know what shows you mean business, saying things in a public forum thinking there are zero repercussions.
Myfanwy Heimdal
Heimdal Freight and Manufacture Inc
#380 - 2013-07-09 21:02:23 UTC
Keira Kashuken wrote:
[ This whole case is just ridiculous, if he would have said these things to somebody in public he would have been scolded by his parents and it would have been ok.

But hey he said it on Facebook so better go and shatter his ******* live wohooo.

This is the important distinction, the putting onto FaceBork part.

If he had come up to someone in the street and made the thread discretely then I expect that nothing would have happened (perhaps other than a belt across the lug 'ole) but what he did on FaceBork was to publish a threat.

As far as the authorities are concerned such threats published are just as henious as taking out a full page spread in the New York Times.

And what if [insert the name of your favourite terrorist group here] placed an afvert in the New York Times, say that they are going to kill every child in a school and then put, only kidding at the bottom of it. Would the authorities sit back, laugh and say "Those $MY FAVOURITE GROUP they know how to have a good laugh" or would they want to do something about it by kicing in doors and nick someone?

Okay, then let's then say that said $MY FAVOURITE GROUP rather than take out a full page advert in the paper but posted the same threat on Facebook. Would the authorities still do nothing?

No, if anyone makes a threat then they had better had be aware of the consequcences. At the time of the Texan lad making his comment there was that bloody idiot in South Sheids already awaiting trail for much the same thing. And it wasn't just the UK police after him it was the US Authorities.

In the case of this lad in South Shields the American authorities made it clear that they were taking no more chances because of the problems in the past with shootings in schools. Zero Tolerance, I believe it's called.

Quite simply; one cannot go around threatening other people, especially children, in the US or anywhere else. If you do it and don't breathe fresh air for two or eight years then it's your own damn stupid fault. The case in England, which was well publicised in the US, should have been warning enough for the lad facing eight years.

Pam:  I wonder what my name means in Welsh?Nessa: Why?