These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How to solve the population problem in low sec

Author
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#81 - 2013-06-27 11:07:02 UTC
SmokinDank wrote:
So what, anyone who isn't Blizzard is a failure? What's the point of your post?

That the reason the 1.3mil sub loss made the news was due to the stock report that is publicly reported. If Activision-Blizzard sneezes they get media attention. If CCP could get that amount of attention they'd be in clover...but they don't gross billions a year, either.

But I'll give you another example of how much NOT is mentioned in the media (well mentioned but not picked up by the media outlets) -- the Infinity Ward vs Activision vs EA lawsuit. Had to really dig to keep up with that info in comparison.

Outside the EvE bubble and certain websites (like Massively) EvE is mentioned like a side note. Which is why the game is at 500k with all the alt accounts. Like with games like EQ/EQII you have to specifically search for them to even know their existence.

WoW? Walk into Wal-Mart and pick up the game and be home with it. Doesn't need media exposure, the game is right in every game department/store. Three friends can pick up 3 boxes and be playing in a hour together, even.

That's the real media presence, right in the hands of customers.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#82 - 2013-06-27 11:09:46 UTC
Niko Takahashi wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
I don't know why anyone thinks anything needs to be done to move people around in EVE. It's pretty clear that many people who play games are going to play to their comfort level, and in EVE that means that a signifigant portion of people aren't going to ever be happy in space where they can't dictate their own terms ie High Sec.

In the same way I don't want to see EVe flooded by legions of non-EVe type players (but but, "EVE would get so many more subs if!!") because that would make the community suck, I think there are more than enough people in low sec, null sec and wormholes and moving more player to those places and out of high sec will only result in more whining and crying by people without enough space-balls to accept the realites of those areas.

We see it already now in null, where alliances rent space to high sec entities and the come in, get "cloaky camped" once and either quit or run to the forums demanding CCP intervention.

No thanks, Dangerous space for dangeorus players, let the casuals hide behind CONCORD in NPC empire.

Uhh you so dangerous clicking red arrows get over your self. Lol

Yep, im dangerous enough to play a video game and risk getting my pixels blown up, as opposed to the majority of gamers who can't seperate reality from gaming and actually think that "losing" means anything.

But that's not the point. The point is, i'd personally much prefer that my favorite game not turn into some ghetto mess, at least not more than it already is with all the "wahhh, ccp, your game is too hard, fix it so that I can feel awesome in the same way most other games make me the hero" crap.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#83 - 2013-06-27 11:12:59 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:

Outside the EvE bubble and certain websites (like Massively) EvE is mentioned like a side note. Which is why the game is at 500k with all the alt accounts. Like with games like EQ/EQII you have to specifically search for them to even know their existence.

And you never understand that this is a great thing. Quality things tend to be like this. Most of us prefer quality over useless quantity.

Why must EVERY damn game be the same, why must every game somehow be WoW? What do you have against a small, unique niche game enjoyed by a certain type of player but that is still profitable for it's makers?
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#84 - 2013-06-27 11:17:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
Jenn aSide wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:

And you never understand that this is a great thing. Quality things tend to be like this. Most of us prefer quality over useless quantity.

Why must EVERY damn game be the same, why must every game somehow be WoW? What do you have against a small, unique niche game enjoyed by a certain type of player but that is still profitable for it's makers?

When I worked for Games Workshop, they always said they didnt advertise outside of their own publications because they would rather have the kids who were addicted to the crack of miniatures, not the blow-ins who would do it for a couple weeks then give up

Die-hards and addicts spread the word to other die-hards and addicts

Regular people give up and spread bad publicity because they didnt have fun and because of the advertising, everyone knows who it is they are talking about

EvE suits this model

How many dead WoW accounts are there compared to EvE in ratio to live ones?

How many were created and then abandoned after those "great" Mr T and Shatner WoW advertisments?

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Darek Castigatus
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#85 - 2013-06-27 11:21:11 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
SmokinDank wrote:
So what, anyone who isn't Blizzard is a failure? What's the point of your post?

That the reason the 1.3mil sub loss made the news was due to the stock report that is publicly reported. If Activision-Blizzard sneezes they get media attention. If CCP could get that amount of attention they'd be in clover...but they don't gross billions a year, either.

But I'll give you another example of how much NOT is mentioned in the media (well mentioned but not picked up by the media outlets) -- the Infinity Ward vs Activision vs EA lawsuit. Had to really dig to keep up with that info in comparison.

WoW? Walk into Wal-Mart and pick up the game and be home with it. Doesn't need media exposure, the game is right in every game department/store. Three friends can pick up 3 boxes and be playing in a hour together, even.

That's the real media presence, right in the hands of customers.

Actually I did read a lot fo those wow articles you keep mentioning and you know what wasnt in them, any sort of interesting events from the game itself. Its all about actiblizzard doing things to the game or changes that have happened to actiblizzard because figures didnt support their view of what WoW was supposed to be. Learn to distinguish a game from its makers please.

Honestly the last news worthy event ingame for WoW that I can recall was the Corrupted Blood plague, and that was back in 2005.

Pirates - The Invisible Fist of Darwin

you're welcome

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#86 - 2013-06-27 11:26:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Ace Uoweme
Darek Castigatus wrote:
Honestly the last news worthy event ingame for WoW that I can recall was the Corrupted Blood plague, and that was back in 2005.

Wow, you've been out of touch a long time then. Shocked

Missed the RealID fiasco even (that went viral).

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#87 - 2013-06-27 11:35:57 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Ask yourself why doesn't Blizzard count level 1-9 toons?

They're completely expendable and regarded as such.

My account #s from years ago already reached over 50,000,000.

The question is more like, how many WoW players from just 25 realms out of 251 registered to play WoW, than all of EvE.

It's truly a big game. Only fanbois will deny otherwise. The Industry watches them closely though.

Darek Castigatus
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#88 - 2013-06-27 11:55:53 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

The question is more like, how many WoW players from just 25 realms out of 251 registered to play WoW, than all of EvE.

It's truly a big game. Only fanbois will deny otherwise. The Industry watches them closely though.

And we've never tried to deny that, merely to point out that the vast majority of the coverage you keep going on about isnt about the game itself but the makers of the game, whereas significant eve coverage is usually about events inside the game itself.

Pirates - The Invisible Fist of Darwin

you're welcome

Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#89 - 2013-06-27 12:29:01 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Tauranon wrote:
From what I can see, miners in lowsec prioritise the ores they don't have (since the nullsec ores do spawn in ore anomolies), and forcing keypieces on every region, just means they'd probably stop what they were doing altogether - as most likely they are mining and then building with it, and import/export instead of mine n build may not be viewed as a lot of fun for them.

If you're an industrialist what incentive is there to live in low-sec, when null has ABC as the norm (which is needed for building anything but T1)? Moon goo is also in null and in the quantities justifying it. So there's little incentive as an industrialist to be in low.

CCP can't make low-sec more attractive than null, so low-sec is the border between the wealth and safety of high-sec; and do-as-I-damn-please null-sec. More for pirates and cloakies.

Until very recently null didn't have enough low end mins, it was actually easier being in highsec. It still is for other reasons. Lowsec has plenty of stations, and you can find short queues on research and copying.

Lowsec where I tend to live, has BCDs in anoms, which means it has the required zydrine and megacyte, so you can build just about anything. I see those kind of indies about, since I'm there enough to know who does what.

Moongoo isn't distributed in a balanced fashion, valuables moongoo is an alliance resource anyway, a lot of it goes to jita, is traded to reaction pos owners running the transformation chains in lowsec. I used to run my own plat moon, but there simply can't be very many players that run enough of their own moons to really do much other than mix it with bought stuff or sell it. I just sold the plat.

What low isn't attractive to is the mindless pve, doesn't recognize other people type players.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#90 - 2013-06-27 12:34:47 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:

When I worked for Games Workshop, they always said they didnt advertise outside of their own publications because they would rather have the kids who were addicted to the crack of miniatures, not the blow-ins who would do it for a couple weeks then give up

Die-hards and addicts spread the word to other die-hards and addicts

Regular people give up and spread bad publicity because they didnt have fun and because of the advertising, everyone knows who it is they are talking about

EvE suits this model

How many were created and then abandoned after those "great" Mr T and Shatner WoW advertisments?

Very well said. EVE is a game for die-hards and that's how it should be.

I always ask people like this ace person this question but never get an answer. WHY must every game be the same? If you like wow and wow still exists, why not just play that and be happy?

Truth is, we all already kind of know the answer to the above (though "they" won't admit it). We all also know that the real reason doesn't same good things about the person holding that opinion.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#91 - 2013-06-27 12:35:10 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

You managed to spectacularly miss the point, even though I tried to make it clear as crystal

Never mind eh

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Minmatar Citizen160812
The LGBT Last Supper
#92 - 2013-06-27 12:42:02 UTC
Gealbhan wrote:
You will never get a dedicated mining bear into low sec, ever. Don't even try. Arrow

No one is trying to get you gaybirds into low sec....we're trying to make you quit and go back to WoW. Arrow
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#93 - 2013-06-27 12:50:05 UTC
Minmatar Citizen160812 wrote:
Gealbhan wrote:
You will never get a dedicated mining bear into low sec, ever. Don't even try. Arrow

No one is trying to get you gaybirds into low sec....we're trying to make you quit and go back to WoW. Arrow

Speaking as a gay bird (Not a gaybird mind you)

I know at least one ore-hungry mining bareass bear who mines regularly in a 0.3

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#94 - 2013-06-27 12:55:17 UTC
Minmatar Citizen160812 wrote:
Gealbhan wrote:

Did Opie just state that? Seriously?

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#95 - 2013-06-27 12:58:08 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
You managed to spectacularly miss the point, even though I tried to make it clear as crystal

Never mind eh

Need a psychiatrist next, Ramona? Only nuts can read minds or expect others to be able too.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#96 - 2013-06-27 13:00:00 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Never mind eh

Need a psychiatrist next, Ramona? Only nuts can read mindsPlain English or expect others to be able too.

fixed
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#97 - 2013-06-27 13:20:22 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Never mind eh

Need a psychiatrist next, Ramona? Only nuts can read mindsPlain English or expect others to be able too.

fixed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#98 - 2013-06-27 13:22:17 UTC
Quote:
Yep, im dangerous enough to play a video game and risk getting my pixels blown up, as opposed to the majority of gamers who can't seperate reality from gaming and actually think that "losing" means anything.

But that's not the point. The point is, i'd personally much prefer that my favorite game not turn into some ghetto mess, at least not more than it already is with all the "wahhh, ccp, your game is too hard, fix it so that I can feel awesome in the same way most other games make me the hero" crap.

This is rather a revealing statement about the psychology of the average player. In most games, you are "The" hero. The game is structured in such a way that the storyline revolves around you and your actions. You are just one guy, a little humanoid, but you are the big fish in the small pond of the railroad storyline.

In EVE, quite the opposite. In EVE, as a capsuleer, you might as well be a god. But so is everyone else, and the world (universe is a better word) turns with or without you. A bigger fish, certainly (most battleships are worth the GDP of a developed planet), but a MUCH bigger pond.

It's a very different mindset.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#99 - 2013-06-27 14:08:55 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Quote:

This is rather a revealing statement about the psychology of the average player. In most games, you are "The" hero. The game is structured in such a way that the storyline revolves around you and your actions. You are just one guy, a little humanoid, but you are the big fish in the small pond of the railroad storyline.

In EVE, quite the opposite. In EVE, as a capsuleer, you might as well be a god. But so is everyone else, and the world (universe is a better word) turns with or without you. A bigger fish, certainly (most battleships are worth the GDP of a developed planet), but a MUCH bigger pond.

Amen, and that's what makes it great. But it's also what some want to tear down.

EVe lore tells you that you are a God, but EVE the actual game says "you are a scrub flying in a ship that is , at best, a disposable pawn on a giant chess board". The only decision you get is "be the Master of be MASTERED".

That choice too much for the average gamer, which is a sad commentary on the state of humanity imo.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#100 - 2013-06-27 14:12:22 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Quote:

Amen, and that's what makes it great. But it's also what some want to tear down.

EVe lore tells you that you are a God, but EVE the actual game says "you are a scrub flying in a ship that is , at best, a disposable pawn on a giant chess board". The only decision you get is "be the Master of be MASTERED".

That choice too much for the average gamer, which is a sad commentary on the state of humanity imo.

WHEN WILL HUGE MANATEE LEARN

I kill and I kill and I kill and... *sniff* it's.. it's like it just doesn't make a single bit of difference Cry