These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How to solve the population problem in low sec

Author
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#61 - 2013-06-27 08:52:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Ace Uoweme
Darek Castigatus wrote:
The other thing i thing Ace isnt really considering is that big news stories draw people into eve as well. For example, how many people have signed up because of the GHSC article or the hulkageddon coverage or one of the many articles on Burn Jita or the Jita Riot. How many times have people seen something like that and gone "thats cool, i want to check that game out", I'd wager its just a tiny bit more than the ones who went 'OMG the games full of asshats and thieves, stay away!!11!!'

500k players that can't even keep game sites active with content, and you're claiming there's a big influx of people coming to EvE at sites they don't even browse, as nobody (not even a dead uncle) will comment on the stuff anyway?

EQII has more posters commenting on threads with 1/4 EvE subs.

Sure like to know what that stuff you're smoking, because before resubbing I was at a website that had EvE features, and it's about 6 replies every odd article, while the WoW threads could reach over 200 with dozens of posters.

The news clearly isn't getting out nor have the interest from the intended audience...gamers.

Get back to me when even after the Jita burn EvE has 1mil subs (that will show that the media did play any difference...not some pipe dream).

BTW, who you replied to is on ignore. I careless about his opinion to comment. So Malcanis him and whoever else can be like dogs nipping at my heels, wouldn't matter. But it really looks bad on their part, trying to turn the volume up and make a mockery of themselves in the process. More can join them, too. Less pollution to see and more content. Big smile

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#62 - 2013-06-27 09:17:13 UTC
Mycool Jahksn wrote:
I'm not going to write a wall of text because my solution isn't complicated, ideas don't need to be complicated to be good.

How do you populate low sec? My solution is mining related.

Lowsec is populated. it is not a design goal of the game that there be 50 neutrals in every system.

Quote:

You simply put something there that wont exist anywhere else, preferably a basic mineral like nocxium, mexallon or isogen.
Perhaps CCP could create a new type of asteroid that only contains that mineral.

I made myself a vigilant from a bpc that dropped for me in lowsec, gilas, ashimmus, cynabals and phantasms are also lowsec items, as are the b-type cruiser stuff generally.

From what I can see, miners in lowsec prioritise the ores they don't have (since the nullsec ores do spawn in ore anomolies), and forcing keypieces on every region, just means they'd probably stop what they were doing altogether - as most likely they are mining and then building with it, and import/export instead of mine n build may not be viewed as a lot of fun for them.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#63 - 2013-06-27 09:18:36 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:

BTW, who you replied to is on ignore. I careless about his opinion to comment. So Malcanis him and whoever else can be like dogs nipping at my heels, wouldn't matter. But it really looks bad on their part, trying to turn the volume up and make a mockery of themselves in the process. More can join them, too. Less pollution to see and more content. Big smile

I'm well aware that you have me blocked and that my views don't agree with your own, that however is no reason for me to refrain from posting in any thread you decide to participate in. I'm in no way trying to turn up the volume or making a mockery of myself, I am engaging in debate with people who play the same game as I do, it's hardly my fault that your stance differs from my own. I may not agree with what you have to say, and I may call you out on some of the stupid things that you do say, but you're as entitled to your opinion as I am.

You obviously do care somewhat, or you wouldn't have bothered to mention my post. So in this case I'll forgive your butchering of the English language.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#64 - 2013-06-27 09:19:12 UTC
Quote:
The news clearly isn't getting out nor have the interest from the intended audience...gamers.

EVE is well known. The harshness of the game, even moreso. Fear, will keep the local systems in line.

Quote:
BTW, who you replied to is on ignore. I careless about his opinion to comment. So Malcanis him and whoever else can be like dogs nipping at my heels, wouldn't matter. But it really looks bad on their part, trying to turn the volume up and make a mockery of themselves in the process.

Translation:

"LA LA LA LA, I am not listening to anyone who can easily counter my circular arguments and specious reasoning, LA LA LA"

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Six Six Six
Doomheim
#65 - 2013-06-27 09:24:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Six Six Six
Ace Uoweme wrote:

MMOs tend to attract control freaks who turf guard for selfish reasons. Not for the betterment of the game itself, but their pet interests. It's how/why most of them are graveyards, as the dinosaurs roam and fail to understand extinction events occur. They're also quite nasty about it, as pure selfishness is like that.

MMOs attract all sorts of people for different reasons. Competition breeds selfish people that's the nature of competition. There are a lot of MMOs around these days all of which target the same pool of customers (general group of gamers) so you should expect to see low populations in some of them (guess that depends what you consider a low population to be).

A lot of those low populations are due to the companies getting it wrong, too much hype before launch and not being able to follow through with what they promise, games being released too early, probably taking that idea from Microsoft. Get it out in the market then fix it. Companies do tend to listen to what their customers think, although I personally think they seem to take more notice of what their rival companies are doing and hence why you see elements of one game creeping into another. As competition increases for customers you see games changing to try and appeal to a larger group of customers, probably why a lot of the MMOs feel similar to each other, which I personally don't think is great for gamers but companies have to try and survive.

Ace Uoweme wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
The vast majority of game communities don't make the real life news like EVE's community does

Because the vast majority of gamers understand games are not real life news. Idea

Games are real life news, they do make the news. I was reading the other day about how WoW had lost about 1.3 million subscribers over a 3 month period (it's slightly old news but it was the first time I read about it). The fact that a large number of people play these type of games means they will always be potentially news worthy.
Jonah Gravenstein
#66 - 2013-06-27 09:25:20 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Translation:

"LA LA LA LA, I am not listening to anyone who can easily counter my circular arguments and specious reasoning, LA LA LA"

ooh watch out, he'll block you!!

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#67 - 2013-06-27 09:31:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaarous Aldurald
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Translation:

ooh watch out, he'll block you!!

Actually, that is a she. At least she identified as a female during the "EVE needs more Women" thread, anyway. Something about the civil rights movement being why I should shut up forever.

And besides, they just blocked me on an unrelated thread, for pointing out their exceedingly errant metaphors.

Anyway, back on topic. I believe player education is the key to seeing more people in lowsec. I was in lowsec all night long so far tonight, in an untanked frigate, and didn't get so much as locked up. (and yes, there were people in system). It's a big game, and not every lowsec corp is out to shoot you on sight. LOTS of them are, but hardly all of them. Exchanged EVE related Seinfeld joke parodies with one guy for half an hour, and I am pretty sure I convinced a newbie to join the New Order an hour later. That's the most people I've talked to outside of corp in about two weeks.

That, and increase the hell out of NPC corp taxes. Social context, is the key to lowsec. Having a good corp, even being driven into a player owned one? Will help with that.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

Best Meltdown Ever.

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#68 - 2013-06-27 09:34:20 UTC
Tauranon wrote:
From what I can see, miners in lowsec prioritise the ores they don't have (since the nullsec ores do spawn in ore anomolies), and forcing keypieces on every region, just means they'd probably stop what they were doing altogether - as most likely they are mining and then building with it, and import/export instead of mine n build may not be viewed as a lot of fun for them.

If you're an industrialist what incentive is there to live in low-sec, when null has ABC as the norm (which is needed for building anything but T1)? Moon goo is also in null and in the quantities justifying it. So there's little incentive as an industrialist to be in low.

CCP can't make low-sec more attractive than null, so low-sec is the border between the wealth and safety of high-sec; and do-as-I-damn-please null-sec. More for pirates and cloakies.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Jonah Gravenstein
#69 - 2013-06-27 09:35:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Kaarous Aldurald where it says highsec, it should say lowsec Blink

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Niko Takahashi
Yoshitomi Group
#70 - 2013-06-27 09:36:49 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
I don't know why anyone thinks anything needs to be done to move people around in EVE. It's pretty clear that many people who play games are going to play to their comfort level, and in EVE that means that a signifigant portion of people aren't going to ever be happy in space where they can't dictate their own terms ie High Sec.

In the same way I don't want to see EVe flooded by legions of non-EVe type players (but but, "EVE would get so many more subs if!!") because that would make the community suck, I think there are more than enough people in low sec, null sec and wormholes and moving more player to those places and out of high sec will only result in more whining and crying by people without enough space-balls to accept the realites of those areas.

We see it already now in null, where alliances rent space to high sec entities and the come in, get "cloaky camped" once and either quit or run to the forums demanding CCP intervention.

No thanks, Dangerous space for dangeorus players, let the casuals hide behind CONCORD in NPC empire.

Uhh you so dangerous clicking red arrows get over your self. Lol

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#71 - 2013-06-27 09:41:14 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald where it says highsec, it should say lowsec Blink

Yes. I changed it. I've been awake for a very long time at present, and my hands are faster than my brain at this point. Pretty sure my bloodstream has more caffeine than hemoglobin right now.

Quote:
If you're an industrialist what incentive is there to live in low-sec

Ever heard of PI? I know guys that multibox Cov Ops Transports and rake isk in hand over fist in lowsec.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#72 - 2013-06-27 09:43:58 UTC
Six Six Six wrote:
Games are real life news, they do make the news. I was reading the other day about how WoW had lost about 1.3 million subscribers over a 3 month period (it's slightly old news but it was the first time I read about it). The fact that a large number of people play these type of games means they will always be potentially news worthy.

WoW is so huge, 1.3mil lost isn't even felt (and most were in China so wasn't felt at all...they don't play on US and EU realms. All of China/Korea/Taiwan could drop tomorrow, doesn't effect the main base, the US market which is a comfortable 5mil in itself).

But that is news since Activision-Blizzard is a publicly traded company (and the #1 money producer in gaming now). It has stock investors to deal with, and must report their earnings.

Now what was the stock earnings for the 3rd quarter 2013 at CCP again?

...crickets...

Niko Takahashi
Yoshitomi Group
#73 - 2013-06-27 09:46:56 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Tauranon wrote:

If you're an industrialist what incentive is there to live in low-sec, when null has ABC as the norm (which is needed for building anything but T1)? Moon goo is also in null and in the quantities justifying it. So there's little incentive as an industrialist to be in low.

CCP can't make low-sec more attractive than null, so low-sec is the border between the wealth and safety of high-sec; and do-as-I-damn-please null-sec. More for pirates and cloakies.

This pretty much Only way how to realistically make it more interesting and not taming it would be to change it into NPC null with no bubbles.

That would be fun place to be in.
I always liked NPC null better then the normal 0.0 Don't have to deal with the politics and just have fun.

FW ownership blocking neutral docking would be fun as well make the FW ownership actually mean something.
Hell I would even go as far as after several days of ownership the Faction navy NPC's could start patrol the area.

Then you could have sort of a weaker Concord as a reward which would allow faction aligned miners to have sort of Sleeper AI NPCs showing up in addition to players protecting them.

Assault frigate vs Barge not good for the miner

Assaut frigate vs Barge plus 1 or 2 sleeper style Gallente Navy frigates that arrive after 15 secods or so is interesting.
Jonah Gravenstein
#74 - 2013-06-27 09:58:42 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
my hands are faster than my brain at this point. Pretty sure my bloodstream has more caffeine than hemoglobin right now.

Welcome to my life Big smile

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#75 - 2013-06-27 10:07:34 UTC
Niko Takahashi wrote:
This pretty much Only way how to realistically make it more interesting and not taming it would be to change it into NPC null with no bubbles.

Could turn it into a FW paradise, but even still, as it is now low-sec has zero interest for industrialists. The ores in low-sec are also bland (and hunting for ABC sites in <0.4 now is a magnet for every pirate known). Have to goto null for moon goo (T2 changes especially). And Jaspet as something to mine, pfft, might as well scan for grav sites in high sec (the other day in 0.8 was a nice average Hedb site, in complete safety of high sec).

It's either high-sec or null. Low is just for pirates to prowl and explorers looking for WHs and such.

Gealbhan
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#76 - 2013-06-27 10:13:33 UTC
You will never get a dedicated mining bear into low sec, ever. Don't even try. Arrow
SmokinDank
Horizon Research Group
#77 - 2013-06-27 10:21:22 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Six Six Six wrote:

WoW is so huge, 1.3mil lost isn't even felt (and most were in China so wasn't felt at all...they don't play on US and EU realms. All of China/Korea/Taiwan could drop tomorrow, doesn't effect the main base, the US market which is a comfortable 5mil in itself).

But that is news since Activision-Blizzard is a publicly traded company (and the #1 money producer in gaming now). It has stock investors to deal with, and must report their earnings.

...crickets...

So what, anyone who isn't Blizzard is a failure? What's the point of your post?

Six Six Six
Doomheim
#78 - 2013-06-27 10:38:23 UTC
SmokinDank wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Six Six Six wrote:

...crickets...

So what, anyone who isn't Blizzard is a failure? What's the point of your post?

Think he was trying to say my example only made the news because of the effect it had on the stock of the company.

But as for WoW they were lucky, as it came out at the right time. When WoW came out the cartoon style graphics meant it was less resource hungry so they were able to have more content. Whereas a lot of other MMOs were going for more lifelike style graphics and introducing less content. There was always a trade-off between graphics and content back then, WoW's approach meant that more people were able to play it without experiencing the limitations of their own systems.

Main reason imo of why WoW still has around 8.4 million players is that in MMOs people attract people. After all I doubt many would want to play an MMO in a deserted world.
Rain6636
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#79 - 2013-06-27 10:46:28 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:

I'm well aware that you have me blocked and that my views don't agree with your own, that however is no reason for me to refrain from posting in any thread you decide to participate in. I'm in no way trying to turn up the volume or making a mockery of myself, I am engaging in debate with people who play the same game as I do, it's hardly my fault that your stance differs from my own. I may not agree with what you have to say, and I may call you out on some of the stupid things that you do say, but you're as entitled to your opinion as I am.

You obviously do care somewhat, or you wouldn't have bothered to mention my post. So in this case I'll forgive your butchering of the English language.

i like your writing style. that was an easy read.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#80 - 2013-06-27 10:49:26 UTC
"How to solve the population problem in low sec"

Start killing them

Cut them up and put their parts on display at the entrance systems

They will start leaving soon enough

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann