These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Do Level 4 missions pay too much compared to 1 through 3?

First post First post
Author
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#621 - 2013-09-05 17:06:04 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Answer me this question (if you can honestly): Do you deal with communications issues outside of this forum? I'm serious, because in my experience, people who have a hard time absorbing others opinions online display that tendency irl. They tend to be the folks who think "the whole world has gone mad except for me".

No. I have worked in IT for 10 years that requires me to talk with customers pretty much 8 hours a day and then communicate those problems to other departments. Gotten promotions and raises. Even held a supervisory position for 2 years before moving on to other companies.

But I can tell you might be getting mad.

Sorry, it wasn't clear to me that you were actually saying that this might cause problems down the road...

But even that statment requires evidence. Not only that it is a problem and that inflation in an economy with 0% unemployement is a bad thing.

I could turn this around and tell you why many Economists think inflation is a good thing and that deflation breaks economies, but last time I did that someone got angry and posted how the Federal Reserve was evil and that they hoard gold and guns for the upcoming appocalypse and that got the thread locked.

But anyways... The first step of critical thinking is that you ask for evidence to back up a claim that has been made to you.

I know most people don't do it, but if you practice such behavior then you will get far in life.

What will get you even farther is if you take your own statements and check for evidence. They call it "testing a hypothesis" in the scientific community in which you check to see if you were actually right.

If you are used to making statements with assumptions, then you probaly won't see any use in this.

But trust me.... It matters.

Personally I'm not saying that its balanced or balanced either way. Personally I'm fine with the way things are, but I don't know if they are broken or not. I would guess neither do you.

So if you are going to say "changes need to be made" then you need to explain why and then back that why up with evidence.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#622 - 2013-09-05 17:06:31 UTC
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
Caliph Muhammed wrote:
That EVE is working just fine as it is? That I don't have any problems in the market. That my "stuff" gains value. That I get my moneys worth for plex. That no matter how many trillions you have I still want more.

You're being taken on a spin. My advice is just to let him have the last word.

He's short sighted enough to believe that just because his stuff is ok right now that there is not preventable problem worth addressing (ie, it's not affecting me so it can't possibly exist in the future....), and somehow I've taken HIM on a spin.

That's rich.
Caliph Muhammed
Perkone
Caldari State
#623 - 2013-09-05 17:08:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Caliph Muhammed
My argument is that the numbers you linked do not show me any substantiated reason to believe EVE's economy is in trouble or that there is too much money in the economy. It does show me more money is made than destroyed which makes sense as if it weren't that way money would eventually go null.

That also isn't evidence. Its statistics. Statistics you're trying to use as evidence to support a claim you wish to imply as fact.

And when its rejected you want me to prove your unsubstantiated assertion isn't true.

As easily as you can insinuate nerfing missions I can insinuate increasing sinks.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#624 - 2013-09-05 17:10:25 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:

No. I have worked in IT for 10 years

rofl, I stopped reading right there. Problem identified.

I have yet to meet an IT guy that won't overthink a discussion. I'm serious, I had to deal with my city's IT guys last week for the umpeenth time over an issue with our patrol vehicles and there were times when I wondered if I'd magically started speaking Martian or something........
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#625 - 2013-09-05 17:16:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Caliph Muhammed wrote:
My argument is that the numbers you linked do not show me any substantiated reason to believe EVE's economy is in trouble or that there is too much money in the economy.
Still back to the strawman.

Quote:
It does show me more money is made than destroyed which makes sense as if it weren't that way money would eventually go null.
What difference does it make where the money goes? And what in the evidence leads you to a different conclusion than there being an imbalance? Also, what makes you think that the money would go to null?

…or do you mean /dev/null?

Quote:
That also isn't evidence. Its statistics.
Statistics is evidence — it fits very neatly into the categories of “data sheets, reports, whatever have you”.
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#626 - 2013-09-05 17:20:03 UTC
Caliph Muhammed wrote:
My argument is that the numbers you linked do not show me any substantiated reason to believe EVE's economy is in trouble or that there is too much money in the economy. It does show me more money is made than destroyed which makes sense as if it weren't that way money would eventually go null.

That also isn't evidence. Its statistics. Statistics you're trying to use as evidence to support a claim you wish to imply as fact.

And when its rejected you want me to prove your unsubstantiated assertion isn't true.

As easily as you can insinuate nerfing missions I can insinuate increasing sinks.

In order for an economy to grow it need growth in its money supply

In the old days it was gold and silver mines. (Which many people in the 1890's complained weren't increasing the money supply fast enough).

Modern days its the banks.

In order for a healthy and growing economy, EVE needs a growing money supply just like the real world.

You don't want it too great or the prices will go up and cause inflation.

But you get a collapsing economy if there is a shrinkage in money supply (much like real world 2008).

Currently mineral prices are at an all time low and plex prices are sub 600 million.

Its a sign that there is little to no inflation therefore inflation is not a problem currently.

When mineral prices are a year high and plex's are at 700 million then maybe then we can say there is a problem with inflation.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Caliph Muhammed
Perkone
Caldari State
#627 - 2013-09-05 17:20:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Caliph Muhammed
Tippia wrote:
Caliph Muhammed wrote:
My argument is that the numbers you linked do not show me any substantiated reason to believe EVE's economy is in trouble or that there is too much money in the economy.
Still back to the strawman.

Quote:
It does show me more money is made than destroyed which makes sense as if it weren't that way money would eventually go null.
What difference does it make where the money goes? And what in the evidence leads you to a different conclusion than there being an imbalance? Also, what makes you think that the money would go to null?

…or do you mean /dev/null?

Quote:
That also isn't evidence. Its statistics.
Statistics is evidence — it fits very neatly into the categories of “data sheets, reports, whatever have you”.

Not quite. Your specific evidence shows sinks and faucets. It does not show evidence of a problem. It is nothing more than the lines in the ledger. it is not a detailed study and analysis of the health of EVE's economy.

It doesn't demonstrate missions to be a problem. It does demonstrate bounties are the largest source of wealth creation. It doesn't show whether those bounties were earned in high, low or null.

This is not a strawman argument.
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#628 - 2013-09-05 17:25:00 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:

I have yet to meet an IT guy that won't overthink a discussion. I'm serious, I had to deal with my city's IT guys last week for the umpeenth time over an issue with our patrol vehicles and there were times when I wondered if I'd magically started speaking Martian or something........

Well it seems you are good at making generalizations and assumptions that make you look bad.

Not everyone in IT is a social pariah and over complicated.

I mean I could say "All police officers do their job for the power trip they get" but I know it wouldn't be true.

If you want to keep thinking that way, its only hurting yourself.

What happened to the saying "Never judge a book by its cover"?

Or "never assume, because it makes an ass of you and me"?

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#629 - 2013-09-05 17:27:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:

Well it seems you are good at making generalizations and assumptions that make you look bad.

I mean I could say "All police officers do their job for the power trip they get" but I know it wouldn't be true.

I'm sorry, but that's typical of what I say is your problem.

When did I make a generalization? I compared you directly to IT guys I'VE dealt with. When did I say "all IT guys"?

You see, you did it again, you made an assumption when I said nothing of the sort. Don't you see your problem?
Caliph Muhammed
Perkone
Caldari State
#630 - 2013-09-05 17:30:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Caliph Muhammed
You made a generalization when you compared him to the IT guy you know.

gen·er·al·i·za·tion

/ˌjenərəliˈzāSHən/

noun

noun: generalization; plural noun: generalizations; noun: generalisation; plural noun: generalisations

1. a general statement or concept obtained by inference from specific cases.

"he was making sweeping generalizations"

I think what you mean is "that's so typical for someone who thinks before responding to actually point out clearly what I did."
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#631 - 2013-09-05 17:32:39 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Caliph Muhammed wrote:

In order for an economy to grow it need growth in its money supply

In the old days it was gold and silver mines. (Which many people in the 1890's complained weren't increasing the money supply fast enough).

Modern days its the banks.

In order for a healthy and growing economy, EVE needs a growing money supply just like the real world.

You don't want it too great or the prices will go up and cause inflation.

But you get a collapsing economy if there is a shrinkage in money supply (much like real world 2008).

Currently mineral prices are at an all time low and plex prices are sub 600 million.

Its a sign that there is little to no inflation therefore inflation is not a problem currently.

When mineral prices are a year high and plex's are at 700 million then maybe then we can say there is a problem with inflation.

That's like my wife saying "the bills are paid and we have gas in our tanks". That's fine, but do we wait till we are evicted and jobless to look at our long term financial situation? As I asked the other guy, do you fix a roof at the 1st leak or wait till it caves in on you.

Just last year Soundwave (I think it was him, i have the video somewhere) was talking 10% bounty cuts across the board. I'd rather other measures be looked at before cross the board emergency cuts are needed.
Caliph Muhammed
Perkone
Caldari State
#632 - 2013-09-05 17:34:55 UTC
Post more Jenn, Maybe everyone reading along won't see it.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#633 - 2013-09-05 17:35:08 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Eh. When I started, trit sat at 2.7 and pye at 5, and a month of subscription set you back 90M ISK… Blink

In fact, if we look at the indices from when you started, there has been massive inflation, but as luck would have it, if we look at it from when I did, it's not quite as severe… The all-time low was somewhere in mid-2010 IIRC.

Caliph Muhammed wrote:
Not quite. Your specific evidence shows sinks and faucets. It does not show evidence of a problem.
Sure it does. Just in and of itself, it's evidence of a massive imbalance between incoming and outgoing ISK. Combine this with the statistics on losses, and it shows evidence of an imbalance between ISK production and contribution to demand.

Quote:
It doesn't demonstrate missions to be a problem. It does demonstrate bounties are the largest source of wealth creation. It does not show whether those bounties were earned in high, low or null.
So you're still slashing away at the strawman…

Also, you didn't answer the questions: what difference do you believe it make where the money goes? And what in the evidence leads you to a different conclusion than there being an imbalance? Also, what makes you think that the money would go to null?
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#634 - 2013-09-05 17:35:15 UTC
Caliph Muhammed wrote:

gen·er·al·i·za·tion

/ˌjenərəliˈzāSHən/

noun

noun: generalization; plural noun: generalizations; noun: generalisation; plural noun: generalisations

So you can't read English either.

I compared his inability understand plain language to others of his profession that I know personally and who displayed the same trait. Specific for Specific. It's the same as the guy on this forum who compared me to another Texan he knew, he said nothing about all people in Texas.
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#635 - 2013-09-05 17:36:43 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:

I'm sorry, but that's typical of what I say is your problem.

When did I make a generalization? I compared you directly to IT guys I'VE dealt with. When did I say "all IT guys"?

You see, you did it again, you made an assumption when I said nothing of the sort. Don't you see your problem?

"I have to meet an IT guy" implies all of them that you have met which sounds like you believe that all IT people will be this way that you meet. The statement also sounds like a dare of sorts. That you are daring the world to come up with an IT guy that is not this way because you seriously doubt it.

If you said, "You are just like the other IT guy I have met" instead then there wouldn't an implied view of generalization.

I think your problem is that you word your words in such a way that you aren't really aware of what you are implying or saying for that matter.

Caliph Muhammed
Perkone
Caldari State
#636 - 2013-09-05 17:39:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Caliph Muhammed
Jenn aSide wrote:
Caliph Muhammed wrote:

gen·er·al·i·za·tion

/ˌjenərəliˈzāSHən/

noun

So you can't read English either.

I compared his inability understand plain language to others of his profession that I know personally and who displayed the same trait. Specific for Specific. It's the same as the guy on this forum who compared me to another Texan he knew, he said nothing about all people in Texas.

Jenn, you don't even understand what you say. When the dictionary definition of the word you used clearly shown in the context of which you used can't sway you what will?
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#637 - 2013-09-05 17:40:27 UTC
Tippia wrote:
t shows evidence of an imbalance between ISK production and contribution to demand.

That's really the main point. If high sec consumption numbers (either from pve or pvp) were better, I'd not think there was a potential problem down the road.
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#638 - 2013-09-05 17:42:25 UTC
Well if you want to argue about the English language and refuse to come up with any data with meaningful comparisions, then I'm fine with trolling you to keep typing.

I mean if you can't prove what you say, you are only making yourself look bad from this point on.

And yes prices are higher than they were at the start of the game, but they are no where near the max of the game which means there is a current trend of deflation which either means there are more money sinks or people aren't spending their money.

But you can't say inflation is currently a problem when its been going down over the past year, no?

Caliph Muhammed
Perkone
Caldari State
#639 - 2013-09-05 17:44:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Caliph Muhammed
The chart does not show what security space the largest wealth creation (bounties) come from. How have we arrived at the conclusion hisec is the problem?

Nullsec bounty payouts are x3-x4 more than hisec per kill.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#640 - 2013-09-05 17:46:03 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:

"I have to meet an IT guy" implies all of them that you have met which sounds like you believe that all IT people will be this way that you meet. The statement also sounds like a dare of sorts. That you are daring the world to come up with an IT guy that is not this way because you seriously doubt it.

If you said, "You are just like the other IT guy I have met" instead then there wouldn't an implied view of generalization.

I think your problem is that you word your words in such a way that you aren't really aware of what you are implying or saying for that matter.

Bolded the important part. It seems that way to you and people who try to fill in the contextual blanks rather than asking "what do you mean"? Not only did you not understand what I said, you didn't even know you were misunderstanding.

I'm aware of every word I speak/type.You say you work in a field where you have to communicate, i work in a field where doing so quickly and clearly matters a whole heck of a lot more.

It illustrates a point I made earlier, almost everyone else got what I was saying about the issues even if the disagreed. Don't you understand that the problem in this case is on the receiving end (you)? There seems to be a lot of denial in you brother.