These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Low sec space scares me

Author
Ace Menda
Gemini Lounge
#41 - 2013-06-20 18:01:27 UTC
Marmaduke Hatplate wrote:
Ace Menda wrote:
Ace Menda wrote:

A lot of veterans fly frigates. Cause they know that bigger isn't better. Your thinking that a veteran only flies big ships shows how little you know about EVE and the mechanics in place. I know whole alliances/corporations that are build out of veterans and only fly frigates and destroyers.

Tutorials I believe cover D-scan. If not, if you would have asked in advance about what you need for low-sec survival. Plenty of people would have helped and gave you advice and guides.

You are now just whining about how you lost a dual tanking caracal to a T3 cruiser (legion) and think that LLow-sec is "instant death", well it isn't. If you think and ask questions. Take Brave Newbies Inc. they have loads of new players and they mainly live in low-sec. I even have a new player that I keep in contact in game so I can help him with questions that went into WH space while not even being a month old. Sure he lost a ship or 2, but he took ships he can easily replace and knew by asking what to do to minimize the risk and knew that PvE fitted ships are no match for a PvP fitted ship.

Hell a PvE fitted battleship will loose against a couple of PvP fitted frigates.

As with anything in EVE, your successes aswel as failures are 99.9% the consequenses of your own actions. If something bad happened to you, it's more likely you made a mistake somewhere down the road that ended up in the filure of said thing then it is faulty game mechanics or cuase something is "impossible". Nothing in EVE is impossible, if you work hard enough for it.

I'm not having a go at you, but you aren't paying much attention. I'm not the one who's lost anything (that's another poster-I've only lost 1 shuttle in losec, and I'm nt whining about that at all, fair kill no complaints). I'm also not saying anything is impossible. I'm just pointing out that when you've got 10mil and no clue about the deep complexity of Eve, 'get a cloak' and 'buy in bulk' is useless commentary in a noob forum.

I have recieved some advice in the ships and modules forum which was v helpful, I do agree that often vets are v helpful. The HelpMyMission channel in game has also been extremely useful and there are some great people using it.

I do think however that when vets say 'do some research before you go into losec', what they mean is 'wait till you're a few months trained/rich'.

If someone could suggest a Tristan fit that would cost less thsn 20mil and 600k SP which will give me a fighting chance in losec, though, I'll be game for giving it a shot! :D

It was not only towards you but also towards the other guy.

He was whining about his loss and you are wrong that you need to be months old to survive in low-sec.

As for your Tristan fit. It will be hard cause of the ROLE the tristan has as a exploration ship.

There are plenty of other Gallente ships that can be fitted to stand a chance in PvP if you pick the right fights. All well beyound 20mil (or even below 10mil) and can be flown by new players.

The tristan being the exploration frigate it means you have to run from most fights and thus have to watchy your D-scan like a hawk.

Bigger isn't better.
More expensive isn't better
More SP doesn't make you invincible.

The players that PvP know the weaknesses and strengths of their ships. And act accordingly.

You win by using tactics and common knowledge. Both you will NEVER gain by sitting in high-sec for months.

I'm still waiting for some sort pf actual concrete suggestion. You say a tristan is an exploration ship. But not apparently for rxploring losec or nullsec?

"Loads of vets fly frigates" - but mot tristans, is that what you're saying? :D

I'm seriously not trying to troll or flame. I'm doing as you suggest: asking for advice on what frigate and what fit to take into losec that I can buy for 10mil and fly at approx 600k SP.

Seriously..

Can't you look up fits yourself
Can't you fit a single ship yourself.

You are expecting that everybody hands you everything on a golden platter.

You are not a new player, you are stubborn and lazy.

Go look up fits (battleclinic or any killboard is filled with them).
Go build a similar fit that suits your SP and ISK (use EFT to build it first).
Go loose it.
Improve fit...

Stop wasting our time and asking how to fit "x". We all learned a lot ourself by just trying out...

Are you in need of some nice chat? Are you new and want some help? Look no further and join: Crazy Dutch Guy

Marmaduke Hatplate
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2013-06-20 18:49:15 UTC
Sugar Kyle wrote:

If someone could suggest a Tristan fit that would cost less thsn 20mil and 600k SP which will give me a fighting chance in losec, though, I'll be game for giving it a shot! :D

This particular line is most interesting. You are equating win/lose with ship/fit/sp instead of situation.

Are you suggesting that me, in a shuttle with nothing fitted, could defeat a veteran in any ship and fit he chooses? What situation would I be looking at a win in that face-off?

I understand what you mean by situation being important and 'size isn't everything' etc. i understand that super-huge ships apparently can't target tiny ones or something, so there's a good example of bigger not being better.

I will fit out my Iteron as suggested upthread, and I'll do the map-scrutiny suggested too, and be as paranoid and hidey as possible. I'm going to do a few hisec combat missions in it first, though, to at least get a reasonable feel for how it fights and runs. Then I'll see how long I last in losec and report back.

I'm actually looking forward to it lol.

"Friends and fun...The only 2 really important things in EVE Online." - Crazy Dutch Guy

Marmaduke Hatplate
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2013-06-20 19:56:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Marmaduke Hatplate
Ace Menda wrote:
Ace Menda wrote:
Ace Menda wrote:

A lot of veterans fly frigates. Cause they know that bigger isn't better. Your thinking that a veteran only flies big ships shows how little you know about EVE and the mechanics in place. I know whole alliances/corporations that are build out of veterans and only fly frigates and destroyers.

Tutorials I believe cover D-scan. If not, if you would have asked in advance about what you need for low-sec survival. Plenty of people would have helped and gave you advice and guides.

You are now just whining about how you lost a dual tanking caracal to a T3 cruiser (legion) and think that LLow-sec is "instant death", well it isn't. If you think and ask questions. Take Brave Newbies Inc. they have loads of new players and they mainly live in low-sec. I even have a new player that I keep in contact in game so I can help him with questions that went into WH space while not even being a month old. Sure he lost a ship or 2, but he took ships he can easily replace and knew by asking what to do to minimize the risk and knew that PvE fitted ships are no match for a PvP fitted ship.

Hell a PvE fitted battleship will loose against a couple of PvP fitted frigates.

As with anything in EVE, your successes aswel as failures are 99.9% the consequenses of your own actions. If something bad happened to you, it's more likely you made a mistake somewhere down the road that ended up in the filure of said thing then it is faulty game mechanics or cuase something is "impossible". Nothing in EVE is impossible, if you work hard enough for it.

I'm not having a go at you, but you aren't paying much attention. I'm not the one who's lost anything (that's another poster-I've only lost 1 shuttle in losec, and I'm nt whining about that at all, fair kill no complaints). I'm also not saying anything is impossible. I'm just pointing out that when you've got 10mil and no clue about the deep complexity of Eve, 'get a cloak' and 'buy in bulk' is useless commentary in a noob forum.

I have recieved some advice in the ships and modules forum which was v helpful, I do agree that often vets are v helpful. The HelpMyMission channel in game has also been extremely useful and there are some great people using it.

I do think however that when vets say 'do some research before you go into losec', what they mean is 'wait till you're a few months trained/rich'.

It was not only towards you but also towards the other guy.

He was whining about his loss and you are wrong that you need to be months old to survive in low-sec.

As for your Tristan fit. It will be hard cause of the ROLE the tristan has as a exploration ship.

There are plenty of other Gallente ships that can be fitted to stand a chance in PvP if you pick the right fights. All well beyound 20mil (or even below 10mil) and can be flown by new players.

The tristan being the exploration frigate it means you have to run from most fights and thus have to watchy your D-scan like a hawk.

Bigger isn't better.
More expensive isn't better
More SP doesn't make you invincible.

The players that PvP know the weaknesses and strengths of their ships. And act accordingly.

You win by using tactics and common knowledge. Both you will NEVER gain by sitting in high-sec for months.

I'm still waiting for some sort pf actual concrete suggestion. You say a tristan is an exploration ship. But not apparently for rxploring losec or nullsec?

"Loads of vets fly frigates" - but mot tristans, is that what you're saying? :D

I'm seriously not trying to troll or flame. I'm doing as you suggest: asking for advice on what frigate and what fit to take into losec that I can buy for 10mil and fly at approx 600k SP.

Seriously..

Can't you look up fits yourself
Can't you fit a single ship yourself.

You are expecting that everybody hands you everything on a golden platter.

You are not a new player, you are stubborn and lazy.

Go look up fits (battleclinic or any killboard is filled with them).
Go build a similar fit that suits your SP and ISK (use EFT to build it first).
Go loose it.
Improve fit...

Stop wasting our time and asking how to fit "x". We all learned a lot ourself by just trying out...

/facepalm

This is the new players forum. This is where we come to ask questions like this. I assume you're here to offer advice and help to new players, not to insult us.

If you look in the ships and modules forum you'll see I have asked for advice on fits etc there and I've also commented on the fact that the stickied thread supposedly linking to suggested fits for various ships only leads to dead links
I am trying to 'do the research'.

This is how we learn; we get pointers from teachers, and then we build on those pointers with our own experience

Which is exactly what I am trying to do.

"Friends and fun...The only 2 really important things in EVE Online." - Crazy Dutch Guy

Praxis Ginimic
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2013-06-20 21:03:55 UTC
Actually you are a bit off the mark as far as EVE goes. You only want to bring extremely detailed questions to the forums. Otherwise we can't really help as the the scope of this game is so massive. If you want answers to general questions then use google.
Vincent R'lyeh
Screaming Hayabusa
#45 - 2013-06-20 21:52:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent R'lyeh
Ace Menda wrote:

The problem with asking generalised questions on the forums is you have to put up with the complete and utter bullshit which is answers like the above...

Look at the bonuses for the Tristan:

Quote:
Gallente Frigate skill bonus per level:
7.5% bonus to Small Hybrid Turret tracking speed
10% bonus to Drone tracking and hitpoints

Then please explain to me how it is an 'exploration ship' that has to run away from PvP?

I have deliberately developed an air of cynicism that I originally intended to make me appear somewhat louche and caddish but actually comes across as irritable hostility combined with the unspoken threat of sudden violence.....

Praxis Ginimic
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2013-06-21 01:02:30 UTC
Vincent R'lyeh wrote:
Ace Menda wrote:

The problem with asking generalised questions on the forums is you have to put up with the complete and utter bullshit which is answers like the above...

Quote:

Then please explain to me how it is an 'exploration ship' that has to run away from PvP?

Thank you. Honestly, I thought that I had already corrected that nonsense. That said, I have certainly seen some funny IMICUS fits that catch dueling nubs off gaurd. It's funny as hell.
Nox Solitudo
Blue Ants
#47 - 2013-06-21 01:25:07 UTC
Praxis Ginimic wrote:

The tristan isn't an explo-frig. You're thinking of the imicus, which has seen more than one great party trick fit, able to take out unsuspecting frigates.
The tristan is a fantastic combat frig that doesn't need a gazillion sp to be effective (although a gazillion sp makes it downright deadly to anything slower)

Tristan, low-sec hero

2x 125mm rail guns
Small nos (defensive)

1mn mwd
Warp disruptor
Web (defensive)

Damage control
Small armor repairer
Drone damage amp

2 flights of hobgoblins

2x aux nano pumps
Aux thrusters

Kite them to death from 18km or so. Pulse your mwd to keep range. If your opponent gets too close then web them and turn on the nos so you can run your mwd for long enough to get back out to kite range. This fit is low sp and cheap. Its a great boat for losing 12 in a row while learning how to kite with drones.

Dont fear low sec. Its fun out here.

Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

Losec fun, here I come! :D

I'm curious what happens when you decide to use another ship...
Praxis Ginimic
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2013-06-21 04:34:27 UTC
Nox Solitudo wrote:
Praxis Ginimic wrote:

The tristan isn't an explo-frig. You're thinking of the imicus, which has seen more than one great party trick fit, able to take out unsuspecting frigates.
The tristan is a fantastic combat frig that doesn't need a gazillion sp to be effective (although a gazillion sp makes it downright deadly to anything slower)

Tristan, low-sec hero

2x 125mm rail guns
Small nos (defensive)

1mn mwd
Warp disruptor
Web (defensive)

Damage control
Small armor repairer
Drone damage amp

2 flights of hobgoblins

2x aux nano pumps
Aux thrusters

Kite them to death from 18km or so. Pulse your mwd to keep range. If your opponent gets too close then web them and turn on the nos so you can run your mwd for long enough to get back out to kite range. This fit is low sp and cheap. Its a great boat for losing 12 in a row while learning how to kite with drones.

Dont fear low sec. Its fun out here.

Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

Losec fun, here I come! :D

I'm curious what happens when you decide to use another ship...

He'll proly loose a dozen of those too.
Marmaduke Hatplate
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2013-06-21 06:20:29 UTC
Hit a slight snag with the Lolsec Hero Tristan fit:

I tried tweaking it with some stuff I had lying around my hangar after looting rats etc, and came up with this:

125mm Prototype Gauss Gun
Small Nosferatu I

1MN Microwarpdrive I
Warp Disruptor I
Patterned Stasis Web I

Damage Control I
Small Armor Repairer I
Drone Damage Amplifier I

Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Auxiliary Thrusters I

2 Flights Hobgoblins

I don't have enough power to run this. The differences from the recommended fit is in the guns and the Patterned Webber. I'd like to keep the guns, if I can. My cap usage is also a bit scary; I deplete in about 40 seconds.

Any advice would be great.

Ace Menda
Gemini Lounge
#50 - 2013-06-21 07:00:23 UTC
Vincent R'lyeh wrote:
Ace Menda wrote:

Quote:

And you clearly lack the ability to read.

I already stated I was mistaken and cause I was at work couldn't check in game. I mixed them up cause frankly, I don't fly any Gallente ships.

The fact still is that if he did look at the ship himself...he should already have a general idea how to fit it....As he can see the same set of bonuses and stats us vets can see.

He is just asking for everything handed to him. If he would have asked if his own fit (which he can copy paste in here too) would suit, we could have helped him. But all I see, someone who doesn't look for own things (if that Ships and module links are dead - report it and use google to find more info).

Are you in need of some nice chat? Are you new and want some help? Look no further and join: Crazy Dutch Guy

erg cz
ErgoDron
#51 - 2013-06-21 07:03:07 UTC
Paul Otichoda wrote:
Low Security space scares me.

The fact that anyone can engage me there meants that I've been trying to avoid it.

I just don't want to lose a ship or a pod.

Is this attitude a good think or will it keep me from success in this game.

Also are the rewards of low sec space (and null space) worth the risks of death?

The only place, where you will be 100 % safe from other players, are unpopulated 0.0 systems like 54-VNO. But if you are new - there is plenty to explore in high sec before you get your jump clone. And after you get your jump clone - you can start with factional warfare. It is the way you can get rewards in low sec. Doing complexes (aka "plexing" in EVE terminology) will reward you with loyality points and with enough loyality points you can buy faction gear cheap to sell it high. If you can keep your account running without paying ISK for it - the only reason to go to low sec for you is boredrom. Newbees like we can entertain ourself even in high sec for while. And if you train a cov op frigate - you can travel in low sec in stealth mode. It is still possible to catch you that way, but rather hard, from what I've heard.
Ace Menda
Gemini Lounge
#52 - 2013-06-21 07:05:04 UTC

I tried tweaking it with some stuff I had lying around my hangar after looting rats etc, and came up with this:

Small Nosferatu I

1MN Microwarpdrive I
Warp Disruptor I
Patterned Stasis Web I

Damage Control I
Small Armor Repairer I
Drone Damage Amplifier I

2 Flights Hobgoblins

I don't have enough power to run this. The differences from the recommended fit is in the guns and the Patterned Webber. I'd like to keep the guns, if I can. My cap usage is also a bit scary; I deplete in about 40 seconds.

How much PG are your short?

As for your cap issues...that is taking into account you everything (so your guns, your point and web, your MWD AND repper at the same time). If this is not the case it can last a lot longer (usually called cap mangement)., for instance you can only pulse the MWD when y ou need it, same counts with the armor repper.

Marmaduke Hatplate
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2013-06-21 07:18:47 UTC
Ace Menda wrote:
Vincent R'lyeh wrote:
Ace Menda wrote:

Quote:

I already stated I was mistaken and cause I was at work couldn't check in game. I mixed them up cause frankly, I don't fly any Gallente ships.

The fact still is that if he did look at the ship himself...he should already have a general idea how to fit it....As he can see the same set of bonuses and stats us vets can see.

He is just asking for everything handed to him. If he would have asked if his own fit (which he can copy paste in here too) would suit, we could have helped him. But all I see, someone who doesn't look for own things (if that Ships and module links are dead - report it and use google to find more info).

You're just trolling now, dude. I've done all those things you mention. I'll leave it at that with you and go back to meaningful dialogue with people who are here to encourage and assist.

erg cz
ErgoDron
#54 - 2013-06-21 07:44:29 UTC
Ace Menda wrote:

With all skills at 5 this:

Drone Damage Amplifier I
Small 'Accommodation' Vestment Reconstructer I
F85 Peripheral Damage System I

'Langour' Drive Disruptor I
Faint Warp Disruptor I
Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I

Small 'Knave' Energy Drain

is about 1MW short
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2013-06-21 08:10:14 UTC
the aux nano pumps are increasing the pg usage of the repper.

Ace Menda
Gemini Lounge
#56 - 2013-06-21 08:33:01 UTC
Ace Menda wrote:
Vincent R'lyeh wrote:
Ace Menda wrote:

Quote:

You're just trolling now, dude. I've done all those things you mention. I'll leave it at that with you and go back to meaningful dialogue with people who are here to encourage and assist.

I'm here to assist and encourage new players. But only those that have the correct attitude.

Marmaduke Hatplate
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2013-06-21 09:40:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Marmaduke Hatplate
Nvm.

Marmaduke Hatplate
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2013-06-21 09:42:42 UTC
Ace Menda wrote:

Small Nosferatu I

1MN Microwarpdrive I
Warp Disruptor I
Patterned Stasis Web I

Damage Control I
Small Armor Repairer I
Drone Damage Amplifier I

2 Flights Hobgoblins

As for your cap issues...that is taking into account you everything (so your guns, your point and web, your MWD AND repper at the same time). If this is not the case it can last a lot longer (usually called cap mangement)., for instance you can only pulse the MWD when y ou need it, same counts with the armor repper.

Thanks for the comments, and to others who've tried to help too. I'm at work rigjt now, but I'll xheck exactly how short I am when I get home and post it.

Ace Menda
Gemini Lounge
#59 - 2013-06-21 10:08:05 UTC
Ace Menda wrote:

Small Nosferatu I

1MN Microwarpdrive I
Warp Disruptor I
Patterned Stasis Web I

Damage Control I
Small Armor Repairer I
Drone Damage Amplifier I

2 Flights Hobgoblins

Thanks for the comments, and to others who've tried to help too. I'm at work rigjt now, but I'll xheck exactly how short I am when I get home and post it.

One thing I can already give you advise in. There are a couple of meta 0 stuff in there, look in different meta levels for those. Most of the times the meta 1-4 take less fitting strain for same or better stats and same level of skill needed.

Marc Callan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2013-06-21 12:05:37 UTC
Looking that Tristan fit over ... without implants, it's pretty badly over-budget on both CPU and powergrid. As far as I can see, the best option might be to step down the railguns to 75mm if you can - it'll cost some range and punch, true, but it'll also use much less powergrid, and using meta versions of your armor rep, microwarpdrive, and warp disruptor should be enough to bring your CPU usage down to within the limits of the Tristan hull. And with that fit, the majority of the damage you throw will be coming from your drones, anyway.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt