These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Best Sci-fi movie to date...

First post
Author
RaTTuS
BIG
#121 - 2013-06-18 10:33:30 UTC  |  Edited by: RaTTuS
Alien
Aliens Special edition [becase that one makes sence]
Blade Runner Directors cut
Total recall [Arnie] - BTW all books / stories by Philip K **** are ace
Terminator 2
Johnny Mnemonic [actually it's not too bad and follows the Short stories pretty good - all William Gibson is worth it]
Moon
and many many more

umm P.K.**** censored Damn you CCP

http://eveboard.com/ub/419190933-134.png http://i.imgur.com/kYLoKrM.png

dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#122 - 2013-06-18 10:40:44 UTC
RaTTuS wrote:

Blade Runner Directors cut
Total recall [Arnie] - BTW all books / stories by Philip K **** are ace
umm P.K.**** censored Damn you CCP

A Scanner Darkly
Paycheck
Minority Report
Screamers

are all movies worth watching based on P. K. D. stories

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Hrothgar Nilsson
#123 - 2013-06-18 11:09:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Hrothgar Nilsson
I think I must have seen a few hundred sci-fi films, both English-language and foreign. English-language films seem to be pretty well covered, so I'll recommend some foreign language films that I thought were pretty good:

• STALKER (Russian classic)
  • Los Cronocrimenes (aka Timecrimes, Spanish)
  • Delicatessen (post-apocalyptic French comedy)
  • Hell (German film, post-apocalyptic global warming)
  • Sleep Dealer (Mexican film)
  • Solyaris (1972 Russian film Solaris is a re-make of)
  • Alphaville (1965 French film)

Some English language sci-fi releases, with moderate to low budgets I'd recommend:

• Melancholia
  • Another Earth
  • Being John Malkovich
  • The Mist

And did nobody mention Source Code?

The only movies listed in this thread I haven't seen, and aren't those yet to be released are:

The Ice Pirates
The Tripods (technically, a TV series based on a book, not a movie)
The Time Machine (1960)
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Green Lantern (superhero film)
End of Evangelion (Japanese anime)
Ghost in the Shell (Japanese anime)
First Men in the Moon
Akira (Japanese anime)
Invaders from Mars
When Worlds Collide
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Darkside of the Moon
Safety Not Guaranteed
Onyx Nyx
The Veldspar Protectorate
#124 - 2013-06-18 11:28:57 UTC
Cypher

Lockout

Idiocracy

I kill kittens, and puppies and bunnies. I maim toddlers and teens and then more.

• Richard (http://www.lfgcomic.com/)
Ruskarn Andedare
Lion Investments
#125 - 2013-06-18 11:44:33 UTC
For me :

Blade Runner

Followed by:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Akira
Alien
Escape from New York
Fifth Element
Forbidden Planet
Ghost in the Shell
Logans Run
Planet of the Apes (original 5 movie sequence)
The Day The Earth Stood Still
The Thing
Lord Ryan
True Xero
#126 - 2013-06-18 12:38:35 UTC
Alexa Coates wrote:
since all the old, good sci-fi movies have been mentioned, i'm going to list a personal, recent favorite: Oblivion.

It was better than After Earth. I wouldn't say either were bad, but not great either. Oblivion reminded me of the Total Recall remake with a smaller cast.

Do not assume anything above this line was typed by me. Nerf the Truth, it's inconvenient.

Souxie Alduin
Anarchy in the Eve
#127 - 2013-06-18 12:54:05 UTC
Vehestian wrote:
Alien, Aliens, Alien3, yes the third one is awesome
DUNE ( Lynch film)
First three old Star Wars
2 new Star Trek films
Bladrunner
5th Element
2000 Leagues Under the Sea
Predator
Fire in the Sky
The Matrix
Children of Men
The Objective

so many more good ones

+1 for The Objective. That's one seriously weird, but awesome movie. What Solaris should have been (more weird-ass aliens - less crappy melodrama).

Speaking of weird aliens - Season 3 of Torchwood, "Children of Earth" is very good.

Someone also really, really needs to make a one season TV-show based on Blindsight by Peter Watts.
Van Hiaasen
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#128 - 2013-06-18 13:44:10 UTC
Eden Log
Brazil
Alien
Aliens
Casshern
Moon
District 9
Children of Men
flakeys
Doomheim
#129 - 2013-06-18 13:44:58 UTC  |  Edited by: flakeys
Mad max thunderdome ...

I know like OMG IT HAZ NO ALIENS MAN ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Barron Hammerstrike
Medusa Nova Mining And Trade
#130 - 2013-06-18 14:06:17 UTC
The first matrix movie is still very good in my opinion and of course Bladerunner, Alien, and if you want to laugh your ass off Nightflyers.
Respen Seriavo
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#131 - 2013-06-18 14:10:36 UTC
Arancar Australis wrote:
The Day the Earth Stood Still (Original)
Event Horizon
Blade Runner (plus most of the movies based on PK Dic.k Stories)
Alien 1 & 2
Terminator

And really too many others to mention really

And a guilty pleasure one - The Last Starfighter (since we are playing a game along a same principal :) )

I can't believe this thread took 20 posts to get to Event Horizon. Still my favorite movie.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#132 - 2013-06-18 14:17:03 UTC
Wow. This thread proves that there are some just amazing SF movies out there.

It's obviously the most expensive, yet most important genre.

Although I really like what Harlan Ellison said in an interview 3 days ago:

"Well, we live in a technological age. Time has passed, and we have stepped over the ruins of our own societies, and our own civilisations, and we come now to the fruition of those things about which the human race has dreamed. We have flight and we have electronic assistants.

The entertainment media – which are always very timorous and step very carefully out of fear and loathing – don't know what they're doing so much. So they go back, and they are catching up on the kind of science fiction – and they call it, in that ugly, ugly phrase, "sci-fi," which those who have worked in speculative fiction despise, it's like calling a woman a "broad" – they are catching up on ideas that were covered with hoarfrost 60 years ago.

That's why you have an overabundance of zombies and walking dead, and world war and asteroids from space. They have not yet tackled any of the truly interesting discussions of humanity that are treated in speculative fiction. But they are a break from standard 19th, early 20th-century fiction, and so they seem fresh to an audience that is essentially ignorant."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun/14/harlan-ellison-q-and-a-interview

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#133 - 2013-06-18 14:18:24 UTC
Barron Hammerstrike wrote:
......and if you want to laugh your ass off Nightflyers.

Oh man, I was such a fan of that short story by George RR Martin when it was in Omni Magazine. Too bad the film was so different and sucked !

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Haradgrim
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#134 - 2013-06-18 14:30:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Haradgrim
1. Aliens - The sets, the world building, the alien itself, and the general terror easily allows Aliens (Alien 2) to Nuke the competition from orbit (its the only way to be sure!).

2. Alien - Suffers a bit from the technology of the time (whereas the sequel easily stands up against today's blockbusters) and moves a little slow at times but still one of the most terrifying sci-fi films of all time.

3. Predator - A little atypical in that its really a monster movie with a light sci-fi element but I think every kid that ever watched it at one time wanted a shoulder mounted plasma cannon with triangle aiming reticle.

4. Event Horizon - I still have nightmares about this movie, one of the most original sci-fi films of all time.

5. Total Recall - A hugely elaborate backstory, a fantastic visual aesthetic, many great actors in bit roles.... there aren't enough good things I can say about Total Recall. The effects don't quite stand up to the test of time but the story resonates and was many times better than the crappy remake.

6. Star Wars (Original Trilogy) - The Grand Daddy of them all. At its core its a basic employment of the mono-myth but I doubt anyone honestly feels it doesn't belong somewhere on this list. I've counted it as one movie because they are similar in quality and tell a single uninterupted story.

7. Gattaca - I was fortunate enough to attend the premier of Gattaca at TIFF, to this day its my favorite movie in terms of visual aesthetic. It was a stunning film when it was made it its still stunning today even compared against the most modern films of the day. The story is complex, deep and tugs on the heartstrings. I would rate it higher but I feel it never obtained the recognition it deserved and so I'm going to temper my feelings for it and list it here.

8. Star Trek (newer JJ Abrams one) - Great and straightforward. It was the Star Wars movie JJ should have made in order to appeal to the widest audience.

9. Terminator 2 - A great action movie with fantastic visual effects built on one of the most interesting back-stories in Sci-fi film

10. Blade Runner - Ridley Scott's masterpiece may be plodding and dense at times but if not for it I doubt we would have the wealth of sci-fi film and tv that we do today. The fantastic acting bouys this film but its pace makes it a bit of a tough watch for some. Some of the Directors Cuts are fantastic and some butcher the movie terrible.

Honourable mention: Dark City - one of the strangest movies you will ever see but dark and fantastic.
Complex Potential
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#135 - 2013-06-18 14:40:49 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Demolition Man.

after watching this film, i can't take seashells seriously any more.

I keep some in my bathroom. However, several unsuccessful and rather messy experiments have taught me to stick with toilet paper.
IbanezLaney
The Church of Awesome
#136 - 2013-06-18 14:50:20 UTC
Debora Tsung wrote:

The Tripods (was a TV Series made after some books)

Ty for reminding me of that one - was an awesome show.

I'm gonna have to try and track it down now.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#137 - 2013-06-18 14:53:51 UTC
Nobody has mentioned "John Carpenter's The Thing".

True SF, and the only film I consider scarier than "Alien".

Cephalus
Epic Logistic
#138 - 2013-06-18 15:03:23 UTC
oh cool, i thought i had seen them all, but i found a few here that i missed.
thanks guys.

best of all time- 2001: A Space Odyssey
i can never stop to admire how well it pulls you in whit out any spoken dialog for the first 30 minutes.
a real piece of art that is.
Labelo Blanco
White Line Securities
#139 - 2013-06-18 15:15:40 UTC
1. The Brother From Another PLanet
2. Caravan of Courage
3. The Mouse That Roared Pirate

And I'm serious.
Ariel Dawn
State War Academy
Caldari State
#140 - 2013-06-18 15:20:21 UTC