These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Best Sci-fi movie to date...

First post
Author
Ekhss Nihilo
Dominion.
Pandemic Horde
#101 - 2013-06-17 19:55:26 UTC
BORRIS DEMONTFORD wrote:
Louise Antwoord wrote:
Pitch black

whenever Peter F Hamiltons books are made into films. Those....

I would prefer to see any of the Iain M. Banks Culture novels as a film as long as they don't **** it up, I'm reading The Hydrogen Sonata now and its rather sad to know it will be the last Culture novel I ever read.

Yes, that is quite sad. Banks' death took me by surprise. His was a unique talent and outlook. He will be missed.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius (AD 121-180)

Lara Dantreb
Reisende des Schwarzschild Grenze
#102 - 2013-06-17 20:45:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Lara Dantreb
My favourite is : A Scanner Darkly : Best adaptation from a book (Philip K.****) to a movie. If you liked the book, you will find delight with the movie

Wiki

---   Buying T2 ship bpos since 2005  ---

Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#103 - 2013-06-17 20:53:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Harry Forever
Gogela wrote:
I've thought a lot about this... and really for me it comes down to "Predator" or "Predators"... both movies were great. Dune was pretty good though too... and "Bladerunner" of course and blah blah star wars return of the jedi... meh... what's the best sci fi movie I've never seen that's better? Throw me a line EvE!

sunshine was good

you may try as well some books "the hyperion cantos" from dan simmons is unmatched the greatest science fiction of all times

there's also a movie coming out based on a great book altough i never had the time to read it, ender's game however it is recommended not to read the details about the ending, it is really cool what they say if you come to the end without nowing it
Something Random
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#104 - 2013-06-17 21:15:30 UTC
and im seemingly one of the few that would put
in there too - i loved it for the cinematics over the firsts 'life story of humans' thang, guess im a Lollywood ****.

Ill also put in A.I.
A movie i watch deliberately at distant intervals for no other reason than it takes a while for the end to destroy me as efficiently each time as its most potent at doing the first - an epic story based Sci-Fi, and i like it.

"caught on fire a little bit, just a little."

"Delinquents, check, weirdos, check, hippies, check, pillheads, check, freaks, check, potheads, check .....gangs all here!"

I love Science, it gives me a Hadron.

gaijiin pok
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#105 - 2013-06-17 23:35:18 UTC
Lucretia DeWinter wrote:
Just a few that I think are a cut above the rest and are truly excellent sci-fi movies.

Cloud Atlas
Silent Running
Alien
Brazil
Gattaca
Minority Report
The Black Hole
Dark Star
Event Horizon
Pitch Black

Some of these betray my age bracket...

I would argue cloud atlas, but the rest are really good, event horizon... man... I am getting old...

Pok
c4binfever
The Junk Committee
#106 - 2013-06-17 23:44:02 UTC
Blade Runner
The Fifth Element
Serenity
Alien(s)
Starship Troopers

All of these have been said previously but my god they are fantastic movies.

<--dotbot

Jimmy Morane
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#107 - 2013-06-17 23:47:34 UTC
Star Trek - Into Darkness

......ok I'm trolling.....*slaps self*
Setaceous
Nexus Prima
#108 - 2013-06-18 00:20:01 UTC
Lord Ryan wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Stami Baby wrote:
Firefly
Serenity
Aliens
Prometheus

Wait, what?

How could you possibly think Prometheus was a good movie, much less "best sci-fi movie to date"?
It's probably one of the worst movies I've ever paid to go see.

Firefly isn't even a movie.
Serenity was good for Firefly fans but it's not really what you could call science fiction.

Anyway, Inception is probably very close to the top of my list for the best science fiction films, at least of the last ten years or so.

Different strokes. I liked Prometeus a lot. Inception not so much.

Indeed. Inception was roughly an hour too long for the content. One of the few movies I'm gone to at the cinema (I've been to 9 in my entire life, people annoy me) that had me wishing it would just end.

I liked District 9 when I went to see it. I like bothe the old and new Total Recall.And things like Blade Runner etc. I don't consider Event Horizon to be proper Sci Fi, it's more a horror in a Sci Fi location.

As for TV series I like most things. I even liked SG:U and think it would have not been cancelled if it were released 10 years ago. These days no show can afford to spend an entire season introducing characters and background, because peoples brains are no longer wired to enjoy it. This is the time of instant gratification where, if a show doesn't wow people in the first half an hour, then that show tends not to be watched. Just my opinion, but I think the Internet has changed how we process information. We expect everything to be available to us as soon as we want it.
KnowUsByTheDead
Sunlight...Through The Blight.
#109 - 2013-06-18 01:15:35 UTC
Lara Dantreb wrote:
My favourite is : A Scanner Darkly : Best adaptation from a book (Philip K.****) to a movie. If you liked the book, you will find delight with the movie

Wiki

What if they come in the back door or the bathroom window, like that infamous Beatles song?

Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

haysis
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#110 - 2013-06-18 01:46:32 UTC

But really

Metropolis ( I cant believe no one listed this yet )
The Abyss
Moon
Blade Runner
Alien
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Dark City
The Invisible Man (1933)
Donnie Darko (2001)
Alexa Coates
Gallente Federation
#111 - 2013-06-18 01:52:53 UTC
since all the old, good sci-fi movies have been mentioned, i'm going to list a personal, recent favorite: Oblivion.

That's a Templar, an Amarr fighter used by carriers.

Mr Kidd
Gallente Federation
#112 - 2013-06-18 01:59:46 UTC
Star Trek: Wrath of Khan

Don't ban me, bro!

Baikur
Doomheim
#113 - 2013-06-18 02:11:01 UTC
Leprechaun 4: In Space
Idicious Lightbane
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#114 - 2013-06-18 07:19:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Idicious Lightbane
I really wasn't all that impressed with Avatar, to me it just looked like Pocahontas set in space with a big CGI budget Ugh

Event Horizon
Starship Troopers
Existenz (A real mindf*ck)
V for Vendetta
Linna Baresi
#115 - 2013-06-18 08:41:52 UTC
To me, there's a huge difference between 'good' and 'entertaining'. While there's a lot of entertaining SF movies, most of them are high on special effects and low on actual story. And in all honesty, it's getting decidedly worse with the remakes of old classics.

My personal favorites:
The Thing (1951)
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
Blade Runner (1982)

Member of since 2003 fated.europefreeforum.com

Rynn Vendran
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#116 - 2013-06-18 08:54:42 UTC
BEST - 2001: A Space Odyssey

WORST - Turkish Star Wars

Lol

_Hey now, hey now now, sing this corrosion to me... _

Klymer
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#117 - 2013-06-18 09:10:21 UTC
All the votes for Fifth Element and nobody mentions...

HEAVY METAL

Korben Dallas was based on Harry Canyon

Colonel T Ross
Independent Pilots Association
#118 - 2013-06-18 09:41:09 UTC
Forbidden Planet needs a several watches too for any sci-fi buffs Bear
Tora Bushido
The Marmite Mercenaries
BLACKFLAG.
#119 - 2013-06-18 10:09:26 UTC
'Aliens' for sure

DELETE THE WEAK, ADAPT OR DIE !

Meta Gaming Level VII, Psycho Warfare Level X, Smack Talk Level VII.

Deerin
East Trading Co Ltd
#120 - 2013-06-18 10:20:58 UTC
Aliens
Terminator II
Matrix I
Contact
Total Recall the Original.

I also would add "Back to the Future"s to the list. I'm not sure if they are classified as "SciFi" though. Same goes for "V for Vendetta"..hell I would put "V for Vendetta"as best movie ever.

Also if anyone remembers this one "Wargames" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 ) It is one of those movies that is etched in my mind and I cannot forget.