These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Walking in Stations as a Social Hub: Business vs Pleasure in Incarna

First post
Author
Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#21 - 2013-06-20 10:27:39 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
At this stage I think Incarna is better off being viewed as an opporrtunity to create a seperate game in the EVE universe rather than an expansion of EVE itself.

it's what we already have, is what they already did with Incarna: making WIS as separate module from the main EVE gameplay. This produced Incarna expansion and was a fail.

This was dictated by their idea to:

1. having an engine prototype for WoD
2. Introducing an item mall

To produce gameplay and developing opportunities for EVE universe WIS need to be strongly integrated with the main gameplay (WIS items have to be part of the normal EVE industiral/trading process, WIS structure have to be deployed, managed and desturctable as POS modules and so on).

Since years now the game is suffering for CCP allocating resources on developing "some other game" (WOD and Dust) and cheatted to get big patches called "exppansion" instead of true EVE online expansions.

These resources, ideas, projects, designs have to come back home and EVE have to start to grow again.

Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#22 - 2013-06-20 10:45:31 UTC
Black Dranzer wrote:
snipped OP

Well written, fun read and I completely agree with you.

Best written Incarna suggestion I've read so far. +1
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#23 - 2013-06-20 11:17:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
Black Dranzer wrote:
Oh man, now I've got this idea of a public viewing balcony that actually shows ships fly past when they dock or undock.

Just like Docking Bay D24 in Mass Effect :)

And this would be an awesome change from the endless stream of single-race ships parading past in the distance in our hangars, regardless of whether it involves Walking in Stations or not.

Also, a nice social area with a window out to space (such as in the "Future Vision" video) would be nice. We've been asking for such a feature for a very long time.
Siobhan MacLeary
Doomheim
#24 - 2013-06-20 11:27:08 UTC
By far the best WiS-related thread I've ever seen. Your point is well-made: WiS shouldn't be a replacement for the "hard" side of EVE, the business transactions and fighting (though I do think it would be cool to be able to conduct agent meetings or manage your industry Tony Stark-style). It should be an extension of the "soft" side, the interactions between people. Who wouldn't pay to, say, see James 315 expound from a makeshift pulpit in the central lobby of Jita 4-4?

I'd like to see the idea of a shared social hub extended to POSes as well. XLSMAs have a number of "greeblies" that look perfect for, say, a corporate lounge and personal dormitories. The damn things even have an atmospheric retention field across what looks like a docking bay at one end. Hell, you could lift that bit of geometry from the top and make it into a POS module that serves no function beyond allowing access to a corporate lounge and consumes no (or negligible) amounts of PG and CPU.

Point out to me a person who has been harmed by an AFK cloaker and I will point out a person who has no business playing this game.” - CCP Soundwave

Nathanien Indoril
Creation and Extraction
#25 - 2013-06-20 11:49:26 UTC
+1 for OP.

That's a really good idea for WiS.

I mean.. thats a really good idea for every game in the Eve Universe in general... Dust and maybe other games coming.
That opens the opportunity to meet the other "communities". That Dust and Eve share these spaces. Just to... get the head free.
Silent Rambo
Orion Positronics
#26 - 2013-06-20 18:57:11 UTC
This should get some serious attention. What happened to all the resources they had already, they had some great social stuff already like games, and bars. I'm not sure it should be a separate game though, it doesn't need to be that intense. Just a cool place to relax and take a break from the harshness of space, talk with people. I'm completely for first person though, it really should be first person just from an immersion point of view. You could get away with having an in-station hud, just cut it down to make it more social interaction oriented.

You really think someone would do that? Just log into EvE and tell lies?

Siobhan MacLeary
Doomheim
#27 - 2013-06-20 21:17:05 UTC
Silent Rambo wrote:
it really should be first person just from an immersion point of view.

This is about the only thing I disagree with thus far. I rather like the third-person over-the-shoulder view - after all, the point of WiS from a technological standpoint is to show off the character you've created, and while first-person is great for immersion, I'd like to be able to see myself as well as others.

Perhaps a compromise is in order? There's no reason it can't be both, so the immersion-focused people can be in first-person while other people can chill out in third-person.

Point out to me a person who has been harmed by an AFK cloaker and I will point out a person who has no business playing this game.” - CCP Soundwave

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#28 - 2013-06-20 22:32:41 UTC
Silent Rambo wrote:
This should get some serious attention. What happened to all the resources they had already, they had some great social stuff already like games, and bars. I'm not sure it should be a separate game though, it doesn't need to be that intense. Just a cool place to relax and take a break from the harshness of space, talk with people. I'm completely for first person though, it really should be first person just from an immersion point of view. You could get away with having an in-station hud, just cut it down to make it more social interaction oriented.

As starting point would be enough:

1. A multiavatar room (with some cap, like 5-10 at the same time) the engine for this is already in the client, they should only re-arrang it

2. Remove the NEX store and make all the wis related items (cloths, furniture, modules, whatever) craftable and integrated in the industry process, as any other EVE item.

Then other developments could be added in a second stage.

The idea of a separate game is plain wrong, is what they already did with Incarna and produced an epic faillure.
Their (CCP) idea is to keep EVE on a mantainence/tweeking level forever, basically giving up any further development for EVE it and in the meantime (with our subscriptions) develpoing some brand new project.

This may be convenient for the company, but not for their customers. So they hired CSM members and forum trolls to support/promote this idea amongst players.

Adunh Slavy
#29 - 2013-06-20 22:39:40 UTC
Siobhan MacLeary wrote:

Perhaps a compromise is in order? There's no reason it can't be both, so the immersion-focused people can be in first-person while other people can chill out in third-person.

Seeing as how quake could do this in its 1996 beta, I see no reason why it can't be done in 201X

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Black Dranzer
#30 - 2013-06-20 23:37:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Black Dranzer
Siobhan MacLeary wrote:
This is about the only thing I disagree with thus far. I rather like the third-person over-the-shoulder view - after all, the point of WiS from a technological standpoint is to show off the character you've created, and while first-person is great for immersion, I'd like to be able to see myself as well as others.

Well, your apartment could have mirrors. But I'd happily settle for both. As long as you can actually control the camera just with the mouse, and you don't have to hold a button to look around.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#31 - 2013-06-21 00:01:38 UTC
Any discussion about adding to WiS needs to include the possibility of adding a gambling function.

Especially if we could play Poker or Dominos or Roulette with one another.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

FoxFire Ayderan
#32 - 2013-06-21 04:03:23 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Any discussion about adding to WiS needs to include the possibility of adding a gambling function.

Especially if we could play Poker or Dominos or Roulette with one another.

Mini-games for socializing (since WiS should certainly have a significant social aspect to it), are a must.

Gambling seems a natural for the EVE universe (it could even be an ISK sink if playing against 'the house' and like most gambling establishments the more favorable odds go to the house).

I wouldn't mind seeing carnival type (or family-fun pizza place type) games too, perhaps where we can win tickets good toward those fancy new cosmetic items or things to decorate our abode. Maybe even ship modules. Blink Ooooo.... rare grand prizes like a new rare ship hull or skin.

And then EVE could earn itself it's proper 'M' rating with some more 'adult' type entertainment establishments. Lol

FoxFire Ayderan
#33 - 2013-06-21 04:13:50 UTC

Oh one other thing..... We absolutely will need tattoo parlours.

Pirate
Silent Rambo
Orion Positronics
#34 - 2013-06-21 15:15:17 UTC
Sura Sadiva wrote:

The idea of a separate game is plain wrong, is what they already did with Incarna and produced an epic faillure.
Their (CCP) idea is to keep EVE on a mantainence/tweeking level forever, basically giving up any further development for EVE it and in the meantime (with our subscriptions) develpoing some brand new project.

This may be convenient for the company, but not for their customers. So they hired CSM members and forum trolls to support/promote this idea amongst players.

I feel like a lot of the EVE players do this themselves when they say "no new features, fix what is already here" all the time :/ Im definitely for fixing new things, but not implementing anything new isn't very desirable either. We need to find a middle ground of consistent updating of old content as well as newer content. I feel like Odyssey did a pretty good job with that, we will see what happens in the near future too.

You really think someone would do that? Just log into EvE and tell lies?

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#35 - 2013-06-21 15:46:19 UTC
Silent Rambo wrote:
Sura Sadiva wrote:

I feel like a lot of the EVE players do this themselves when they say "no new features, fix what is already here" all the time :/ Im definitely for fixing new things, but not implementing anything new isn't very desirable either. We need to find a middle ground of consistent updating of old content as well as newer content. I feel like Odyssey did a pretty good job with that, we will see what happens in the near future too.

Fixing stuff, polishing and tweaking is good and needed, but is also just the mandatory, bare minimum life support; any game company does it on a 3-6-12 months basis.

But then you also need to have a vision, a general design, this is why EVE survived 10 years. They gave up to this since 2-3 years now, and yes, of course mantaining the exsitent is easyer and less risky on the short term but to grow you need to work harder, invest and risk.

And they're not doing it. At elast not on EVE online. They keeping EVE on a decent survilence level and saving the "vision" for other products.

The last 4-5 so-called "expansion" summed all together are not even closed to be a true "EVE expansion" as was used to be: Just reading the patch notes of expansion like Revelations, Trinity, Apocrypha is enough to see gap.

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#36 - 2013-06-21 15:49:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
EDIT: When you look at the early expansions, you also have to consider the rather unfinished state the game was in, and also CCP's fire-and-forget approach to adding features. They did very little maintenance back in the day.

I could very easily get used to this. It's a good idea. The analogy to ship-spinning is well-considered. And it doesn't have to be the only available use of avatars, just one of them.

Incarna as an entirely different game would be a poor substitute. I'm not even sure how it would work. If Dersen happened to log out of EVE in a ship (which he does a lot these days--it's hard to dock in a POS), can I log him in to this Incarna game? If I have him docked and logged out of EVE, and logged in to Incarna, can he not undock in EVE? Can I log another character on his account into Incarna while he's logged in to EVE? Do I have to come up with different characters? If so, why not just log in to another one of the many, many games built around avatars? It's hardly seamless, not to mention the deleterious effects on immersion. I'll be blunt: my interest in Incarna begins and ends as an extension of EVE. If I can't get Dersen out of a ship and into leather pants to go prowling around on foot, then meh.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd want to be the project lead for the effort to merge the WoD modifications to CARBON back into EVE. So unless CCP is doing some really nice work keeping the two projects in communication with each other, it's going to be a great deal of effort either way. The more it feels like one game in one universe, the happier I will be.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#37 - 2013-06-21 16:25:10 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
EDIT: When you look at the early expansions, you also have to consider the rather unfinished state the game was in, and also CCP's fire-and-forget approach to adding features. They did very little maintenance back in the day.

I see your point. However I think the mantainence was the same as is now. Simply in the past there was a growing game so was harder. Now the game is stagnant so the same mantainence level is enough. But I'd rather prefer having problems with something live and growing: deads have no problem and are easy to mantain... Polishing gravestones is not that hard.

I understand we cannot expect the same growing rate as was in the past when the game was young. But the point here is that they don't even dare to think to a possible direction/design to expand the game. EVE is a great game because CCP people was used to think out of the box and to accept challenges, now they seems like carebears "no, i don't undock, I prefer to give up my gameplay, too dangerous with a neutral in local".

They direct their vison to something else, not EVE, other games, toys, movies, comics... All cool, but is this good for us as EVE players?

Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#38 - 2013-06-21 16:40:10 UTC
Black Dranzer wrote:
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
All in all though, +1 from me - although I rather like the walkway. Can we keep that?

Hey, why not make it your own personal viewing balcony, and let players invite each other to each other's personal rooms and viewing areas?

You could invite female pilots to come and inspect your enormous Thorax and I'm sorry I had to make that joke.

Edit:

Oh man, now I've got this idea of a public viewing balcony that actually shows ships fly past when they dock or undock.

Stabber. Show her your stabber.
Anita Masengale
Doomheim
#39 - 2013-07-13 11:08:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Anita Masengale
Malcanis wrote:
At this stage I think Incarna is better off being viewed as an opporrtunity to create a seperate game in the EVE universe rather than an expansion of EVE itself.

Then why bother with the captains quarters? Obviously CCP thought otherwise.

Putting "Social" interactions could be limited to 5-10 people, a bar, or invite people to your personal quarters. etc.
This is not a break from immersion of the game but rather an enhancement.

Now for the programming side, most of it is in the client already. So I can't validate a claim that it would be "too much work".
Frankly EvE players should get something more for supporting the development of DUST514. it's free to play so maybe EvE should be free to play as well? just use Micro-transactions like Anet?

I became aware of this game just recently and think there is a lot of potential for it, then I seen how long it's been out. Heck even World of Warcraft has had bigger updates.

Before I would speculate and comment on how CCP uses the sub money from EvE, it would be nice if a lead dev or someone with authority would comment and give a clear path for when this will or will not be in the game.

I can see a gap with the player interactions already. If you talk in public chat then you get targeted, if you send someone a message then you get charged a contact fee, etc.. etc.. etc.. But eve is all about working together right?

Would love to read a response on this.
Blastil
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#40 - 2013-07-13 14:29:13 UTC
I definately agree that eve lacks an intimate private atmosphere in chatting. You certainly can make closed chanel groups, but frankly, That's kind of silly, adds an unneccissary window when the reality is that you just go there to occasionally chat with old mates, and blow cigar smoke swapping tales of yesteryore.

The biggest failure of incarana wasn't that it took eve in a different direction, it was that it failed to take eve in any direction.

I will say this though, I like looking at Blastil's shapely ass. Please don't remove 3rd person from the game.