These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP stll needs to do something about cloaks

First post
Author
Typhis Deterious
NO D1C3
#181 - 2013-06-14 19:01:42 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Typhis Deterious wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Fair point.

Are AFK Cloakers more dangerous than AFK station lurkers?

Apparently so as afk station lurkers are afraid to undock with afk cloakers in the system.

Communication between the two parties is still dark...

I dunno...

I dont like using the market with AFK station lurkers in the station

What if they silently watch me place a buy order?!

Then you are obviously in danger. I would undock and cloak up if I were you.
Moth Eisig
Gallente Federation
#182 - 2013-06-14 19:10:22 UTC
I agree with OP. Cloaking should be removed.

Local should also be made like wormhole local everywhere except high-sec, and DScan removed altogether.

Then scanning for other ships should be changed to look like this

And require you to decipher this to find out what you're tracking so you can plug that info into another screen that will let you calculate your prey's speed

which then lets you fly around and triangulate their position to create a firing solution like this.

After which you manually set your space torpedoes to the right tracking method and distance and fire, hoping that your firing solution was accurate and that your opponent's countermeasures don't work. Of course, if you don't want to go through the above steps, you could actively ping space for other ships, but then that would broadcast your exact position to everyone.

Warp speeds would have to be slowed of course, and you would be able to fire on warping targets.

But don't worry, I realize how utterly ridiculous this is. After all, for realistic sonar styled tracking/scanning CCP would have to take a considerable amount of time and effort to program sound into the game.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#183 - 2013-06-14 19:17:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
Local should also be made like a wormhole, in that as soon as you click on it, it warps you to a different chat window in an entirely different game..

Scanning for other ships should be changed to look like this;

.........^.........>^.....<..........**********BLIP

And require you to decipher this to find out what you're tracking so you can plug that info into another screen that will let you calculate your prey's speed

which then lets you fly around and triangulate their position to create a firing solution like this.

23781904787234742742309-090-90

FIREFIREFIREFIRE

Miss

As space is big, only missiles should be allowed, and their flight time willof course be in hours or days due to the distance they must travel.

To successfully strike another space vessel, you will have to turn all other modules off as the processing power necessary to calculate a successful strike against even a slow moving target which does not deviate its course will be immense.

(not aking the mick, I just liked what you posted and wanted a go)

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Erutpar Ambient
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#184 - 2013-06-14 19:18:22 UTC
The problem isn't about cloaking. The problem isn't about afking. The problem isn't about local vs no-local or about starmap statistics. Its about 2 things.

1: Cyno/CovCyno + Hotdrops. Cynos represent a possibilty for unlimited force to be applied against you. Coupled with afk cloaking the threat is then spread over a potentially unlimited amount of time. The point when the force is applicated is decided solely by the afk+cloaky pilot and the targets have no ability to predict when this happens or even when the afker becomes active. This is then compounded even further by the ability to use unaffiliated characters to cyno in whoever they want to, thus disallowing anyone to gather any intel. The targets of cloaky camper cyno alts have no way to proactively defend themselves other than docking up.

2: Covert Ops Tech III's. The amount of force a Tech III projects is already, well, overpowered. But the ability to warp while cloaked while projecting this already unreasonable amount of force is even more over the top. A bomber: no biggie, force recon: force is a strong word, Blops: can't cloak warp! Tech III's are too overpowered for this role. Just like they're too overpowered vs HACs. T3 nerf please hurry up!

These two items are the main issues of cloaky camping. And sure local could take a hit too, that doesn't matter that much. But if you're talking about being more like WH space then you also need to turn off null sec star map statistics. The indy and military stats are like a beacon in the night saying (here we are). Also pilots docked in space and faction ships killed hell any of the stats have to go too.

Then you can cloaky camp more successfully but you also have to put in a little bit of ground work to find people since you can't just pop into local and see if anyone is around.
Tydeth Gilitae
Magewright Artificers
#185 - 2013-06-14 19:18:54 UTC
First up, some credentials relevant to what I'm about to say. I am a 1 month old newbie to EVE. I primarily play the newbie industrial style(mining(boring but can be decent isk, esp. with anoms), light production here and there as I can afford(ammo sells VERY well in newbie career tutorial stations), exploring), and do mostly operate in highsec currently. However, I have on multiple occasions jumped into WHs or ventured out into lowsec the old fashioned way to expand my play. I haven't killed anyone in PVP, but have died 4 times. Then again, that's probably expected for newbies anyway. Half in a poor-fit Catalyst, other half in Venture. Half in lowsec, other in WHs.

Now for relevance: The WH half of those deaths involved cloaking.

Death #3: After the Odyssey update, the "owners" (as I define them by presense of their base; one of them told me no one truely can own a WH) of the holes were cloaked and camping a HS connection because they were fed up with the string of newbies jumping into their turf. I was at the time the latest newbie to show. One cloaky camper was in the HS side, acting as the scout with Local showing his name, to see who jumps in. The other was in the WH side to see what those newbies then decided to do. As I wasn't scared of the red -1.0 and warped off to check out a local anom, the HS side guy jumped in and both uncloaked and waited for my return as a normal gatecamp. I showed up as expected, and went boom.

If I had dscanned before warping to the entrance, that death would not have happened, or would have been delayed as they may have chased me down(or if I probed down another WH, whoever owned THAT one might have gotten me). While cloaks were involved, it was my fault.

Death #4: I was mining Arkonor in someone else's WH, and didn't pay enough mind to the presence of sleeper wrecks being a potential sign that the owner was still present. He was PI collecting in a badger and caught me in dscan; I didn't use mine. He brought in a covops, flew near enough to the Arkonor to set up a BM (as it and I were 60km off the anom beacon), and left, without me ever seeing him. Then he returned in a Heavy Interdictor and bubbled, webbed, and shoved missiles up my exhaust. The last bit twice, since my pod could not escape the bubble any better than the Venture.

If I was constantly dscanning around while mining(in that instance, I did a bit of scanning before warping to the anom, but none after), I would have spotted the Badger and maybe high-tailed it out of there. No cloaky-bookmarking-hictor-death would have happened.

Both of my cloaky-related deaths were through my own fault. Granted, the guys in #3 could have stayed cloaked until I showed up, but they may not have been able to decloak fast enough to kill me before I reached the hole to HS, so that's moot. And #4 might not have done any better attacking with the cloaky since Venture has +2 warp stab so I could have run if he decloaked, assuming his cloaky even had a scrambler to hit me with asap while I aligned.

All in all, despite being on the receiving end of two uses of cloak to score a kill, I find no issue with the cloaking device. It takes time to decloak before you can do anything, and cloak being a highslot means less room for firepower. Even if they want to set up a covert cyno, they have to decloak to do so, regardless of the cloaking status of the generator. The few ships that have the ability to fit a cloak you can warp around in have some other weaknesses built in to balance this, and even they still can't do anything else while cloaked. If you could mine or shoot or light cynos while invisible, then yeah, certainly cloaking device would be OP and need a nerf. However, you cannot, so cloak is fine. This from a newb who was killed by cloakycamp and cloaky-bookmark-self-hotdrop.

I am still going to mine in WHs when I get the chance; access to high-end ore without the long string of jumps from high to null is worth the risk of exploding. I'm just gonig to be watching my dscans more closely to see when my little miner needs to leave.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#186 - 2013-06-14 19:21:05 UTC
Erutpar Ambient wrote:
The problem isn't about cloaking. The problem isn't about afking. The problem isn't about local vs no-local or about starmap statistics. Its about 2 things.

1: Cyno/CovCyno + Hotdrops. Cynos represent a possibilty for unlimited force to be applied against you. Coupled with afk cloaking the threat is then spread over a potentially unlimited amount of time. The point when the force is applicated is decided solely by the afk+cloaky pilot and the targets have no ability to predict when this happens or even when the afker becomes active. This is then compounded even further by the ability to use unaffiliated characters to cyno in whoever they want to, thus disallowing anyone to gather any intel. The targets of cloaky camper cyno alts have no way to proactively defend themselves other than docking up.

2: Covert Ops Tech III's. The amount of force a Tech III projects is already, well, overpowered. But the ability to warp while cloaked while projecting this already unreasonable amount of force is even more over the top. A bomber: no biggie, force recon: force is a strong word, Blops: can't cloak warp! Tech III's are too overpowered for this role. Just like they're too overpowered vs HACs. T3 nerf please hurry up!

These two items are the main issues of cloaky camping. And sure local could take a hit too, that doesn't matter that much. But if you're talking about being more like WH space then you also need to turn off null sec star map statistics. The indy and military stats are like a beacon in the night saying (here we are). Also pilots docked in space and faction ships killed hell any of the stats have to go too.

Then you can cloaky camp more successfully but you also have to put in a little bit of ground work to find people since you can't just pop into local and see if anyone is around.

1) Cynos cannot be actived by AFK players

2) No. This is just... no. Im sorry. No. Mr Superman no here.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Newbie Ned
Real Nice And Laidback Corporation
#187 - 2013-06-14 19:23:21 UTC
Cloak is fine.

AFK cloak is not.

Effect needs to be proportional to effort and AFK cloaking is way imbalanced. There are so many threads because this is almost certainly the biggest long running issue in Eve that CCP don't appear interested in fixing.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#188 - 2013-06-14 19:24:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
Newbie Ned wrote:
Cloak is fine.

AFK cloak is not.

Effect needs to be proportional to effort and AFK cloaking is way imbalanced. There are so many threads because this is almost certainly the biggest long running issue in Eve that CCP don't appear interested in fixing.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw44lun15r1r1vzzeo1_500.jpg

Also, I see you have one of those Gal faces that no one can be bothered making look real.

Hybrid children from the deep.

Josef Djugashvilis
#189 - 2013-06-14 19:27:44 UTC
Walton Simons wrote:
love how i go afk and there are over 3 more pages lol

Or were you not afk, just cloaked and watching the action unfold?

This is not a signature.

M1k3y Koontz
Speaker for the Dead
Stay Feral
#190 - 2013-06-14 19:39:06 UTC  |  Edited by: M1k3y Koontz
Another nerf cloaking thread Roll

Answer to "remove local":
You're bad and should feel bad, without local nullbears would leave nullsec within a week after getting ganked several times, and PVPers would no longer have ANY targets in null. Nullsec is not W-space, dont try to make it W-space (for the record, I live in W-space)

Answer to "afk can't hurt you": You missed the point.

Solution: Bait out the cloaker/move to another system/come up with a reasonable way to nerf cloaks (gl with that...)

Note: Good way to tell if a cloaker in your system is dangerous is to check his killboard (evekill & battleclinic) If there is nothing there, you're most likely safe. If theres a ton of BLOPs kills/cyno losses etc. then he's a threat.

/Thread

How much herp could a herp derp derp if a herp derp could herp derp.

Erutpar Ambient
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#191 - 2013-06-14 20:03:34 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Nowhere did I say anything about someone lighting a cyno while being afk.

And yes I'm sorry, cloak warping on a T3 is too much. They are more powerful than any other ship with this ability by orders of magnitude. And seriously, what does WH space have to do with tech 3 ships having covert ops cloaks? I think that you should have to use a scout if you're going to gank someone. I don't think you should have a ship that does all roles better than the ships designed for them and then the role of the ship they're supposed to support with that role better than that ship too!!

You're arguement is weak and over played. And you come off like you didn't even read what I posted. Don't reply to posts unless you read/understand what they're saying. You might make yourself look dumb(er).
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#192 - 2013-06-14 20:08:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Grimpak
a kill made by an AFK cloaker is still something I haven't seen.

and I have seen things, and quite some.. things too

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#193 - 2013-06-14 20:14:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramona McCandless
Erutpar Ambient wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

And yes I'm sorry, cloak warping on a T3 is too much. They are more powerful than any other ship with this ability by orders of magnitude. And seriously, what does WH space have to do with tech 3 ships having covert ops cloaks? I think that you should have to use a scout if you're going to gank someone. I don't think you should have a ship that does all roles better than the ships designed for them and then the role of the ship they're supposed to support with that role better than that ship too!!

You're arguement is weak and over played. And you come off like you didn't even read what I posted. Don't reply to posts unless you read/understand what they're saying. You might make yourself look dumb(er).

1) Yes you did. Here:
Erutpar Ambient wrote:
The point when the force is applicated is decided solely by the afk+cloaky pilot .

By definition of being a useful scout/cyno lighter he isnt AFK. If you were saying that Covert Ops ships are too powerful because of this, then I can understand, but being AFK has nothing to do with what you are saying they can do, sorry.

2) I dont know why you think Covert T3s are so powerful. They dont out gun ANY BC fitted worth a damn, and a fair few Force Recons out DPS some of them. They certainly dont have anywhere near the neut/target painting/drone carrying/logi/covert cyno dropping capabilities of dedicated Recon Cruisers.

T3s are very expensive to risk as scouts in WHs. If you were to do that instead of using a Buzzard or whatever, Id say you had more money than sense. HOWEVER, NOTHING scouts 0.0 better than a T3 which is their best function, as heavy battlescouts for large fleets. Given their expense and the skills required to operate them properly, I dont see the problem.

Also there is no need to be so rude.

Erutpar Ambient wrote:

I hadnt even made an argument before you posted that. And "Dumber" isnt a word.

Toriessian
Helion Production Labs
Independent Operators Consortium
#194 - 2013-06-14 20:16:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Toriessian
Well I vote we just remove cloaked people from local. Lol
Its a good compromise.

People won't have to hide from AFK cloakers because they won't know they're there. This prevents AFK people from tying up ratting and mining. You'll still see cloaked people enter and leave systems as they drop cloaks for gates/logging in/logging out.

Local still works for seeing large fleet movements. This way your intel channels can advise there is an uber hot dropping fleet in the area and perhaps there is an actual cloaky cyno threat and maybe now isn't the best time to mine :)

Every day I'm wafflin!

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#195 - 2013-06-14 20:20:59 UTC
I'd use a cloak ....

But i'm concerned about engine intakes.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#196 - 2013-06-14 20:25:29 UTC
Kitty Bear wrote:
I'd use a cloak ....

But i'm concerned about engine intakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GrV3OZdjP8

;)

Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#197 - 2013-06-14 20:26:10 UTC
Erutpar Ambient wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:

Oh please. With the exception of maybe the Proteus, every other cloaky T3 does pretty **** poor damage.
Johnny McCynoalt
Plundering Penguins
Solyaris Chtonium
#198 - 2013-06-14 20:36:09 UTC
I'm sorry, some of you seem to have missed the memo.

You have been playing "World of Starcraft" for the past two years. "EVE Online" is a thing of the past, and the target audience for World of Starcraft (WoS) consists of mentally handicapped, untrained monkies.

I'm afraid your "cloaks" aren't fair to the monkies, as evidenced by the fact that so many of them have been complaining about them, so they're going to have to go.

Stop being so selifish; please, think of the monkies.

Lara Dantreb
Reisende des Schwarzschild Grenze
#199 - 2013-06-14 20:41:20 UTC
I don't care about cloakers but...

AFKing (cloaked or not) is bad for the planet.

I thought the Icelandic people felt involved in the management of energy (for example, through the use of geothermal energy)

Thus, why allowing the players to not actually play while their computer is consuming energy ?

---   Buying T2 ship bpos since 2005  ---

Oxandrolone
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#200 - 2013-06-14 20:44:33 UTC
Once they remove local you wont have to worry out this because you wont know they are there.