These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Changes to the EVE Naming Policy

Author
Kijo Rikki
Killboard Padding Services
#21 - 2013-06-11 18:48:36 UTC
I doubt CCP would enforce ship naming policy, it is common practice in null to use names that are deceptive to enemy d-scans. They probably have it as a protective clause in case someone in high-sec, for example, names their ship CCP Soundwave's Rifter or Federation Navy Commander and is doing something offensive or fishy in local under such a guise. That's my take on it, anyway.

You make a valid point, good Sir or Madam. 

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
Auric Transition
#22 - 2013-06-11 18:50:18 UTC
seth Hendar wrote:
Guttripper wrote:
*awaits the Dev blog stating scamming and stealing another player's assets is no longer an acceptable practice...

i would not be surprised at all....

I would

But then, some of us have a better understanding of how the game works than others

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
Auric Transition
#23 - 2013-06-11 18:50:42 UTC
Kijo Rikki wrote:
I doubt CCP would enforce ship naming policy, it is common practice in null to use names that are deceptive to enemy d-scans. They probably have it as a protective clause in case someone in high-sec, for example, names their ship CCP Soundwave's Rifter or Federation Navy Commander and is doing something offensive or fishy in local under such a guise. That's my take on it, anyway.

EXACTLY THIS

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

De'Veldrin
Adversity.
Hisec Miners
#24 - 2013-06-11 18:52:20 UTC
Kijo Rikki wrote:

My guess is this is indeed the spirit of the rules. But you know there is some scrublord out there who will petition everything he sees that offends him that even remotely falls under this rule. Just because he can.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#25 - 2013-06-11 18:52:30 UTC
"employee or representative of EVE Online, CCP, Customer Support personnel or volunteers.
Impersonate or parody an NPC type from the EVE game world (i.e. CONCORD or other official NPC corporation or organization members) for the purpose of misleading other players.
Reflect, glorify or emulate any real-world group or organization, terrorist society, criminal elements, discriminating organizations or their leaders and figureheads. This includes the use of names of real-world military, political or religious groups. "

Which one of those groups does "Rifter" or "cargo container" fall into? The closest is "NPC type", but a Rifter is not an NPC.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Ruze
Next Stage Initiative
#26 - 2013-06-11 18:52:35 UTC
Guttripper wrote:
*awaits the Dev blog stating scamming and stealing another player's assets is no longer an acceptable practice...

That would ... suck.

If you're driven to threaten others with harm or violence because of what they do in game, you can't separate fantasy from reality. That "griefer/thief" is probably more sane than you are. How screwed up is that?

Sipphakta en Gravonere
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2013-06-11 18:53:17 UTC
seth Hendar wrote:
Dalmont Delantee wrote:
Whats the problem with the naming policy? I'm confused...

well, since you cannot name your ship with any name based on ingame items.... you would not be allowed to name a rifter "rifter", or cargo container, or stargate(X) etc....

Where exactly does it say that?

Quote:

- Impersonate or parody any employee or representative of EVE Online, CCP, Customer Support personnel or volunteers.
- Impersonate or parody an NPC type from the EVE game world (i.e. CONCORD or other official NPC corporation or organization members) for the purpose of misleading other players.

That says nothing about naming your ship after ingame items.
Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
Auric Transition
#28 - 2013-06-11 18:53:57 UTC
De'Veldrin wrote:
Kijo Rikki wrote:

My guess is this is indeed the spirit of the rules. But you know there is some scrublord out there who will petition everything he sees that offends him that even remotely falls under this rule. Just because he can.

Probably, and he will be the one who gets banned for it because "Cnut Rod" is actually someone's wife's name

See, handy little clause that

De'Veldrin
Adversity.
Hisec Miners
#29 - 2013-06-11 18:55:03 UTC
Ruze wrote:
Guttripper wrote:

That would ... suck.

It would also never happen. CCP isn't daft enough to execute the golden goose.

At least not until it stops laying eggs.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

seth Hendar
I love you miners
#30 - 2013-06-11 18:55:43 UTC  |  Edited by: seth Hendar
Ramona McCandless wrote:
seth Hendar wrote:
Guttripper wrote:

I would

But then, some of us have a better understanding of how the game works than others

if this would happen, i would be both sad and greatfull.

sad because if you are dumb to fall for it, you deserve it, on the other hand, greatfull becausehubs local would be quiet and jita limit would almost never reach
Hannott Thanos
Notorious Legion
SCRUBS.
#31 - 2013-06-11 18:56:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Hannott Thanos
seth Hendar wrote:
Guttripper wrote:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/composition-division

Often when something is true for the part it does also apply to the whole, or vice versa, but the crucial difference is whether there exists good evidence to show that this is the case. Because we observe consistencies in things, our thinking can become biased so that we presume consistency to exist where it does not.

Example: seth Hendar observed a change to the rules in EvE and said that because of this change, CCP are going to put restrictions to everything in the game because they put restrictions on this specific issue.

while (CurrentSelectedTarget.Status == ShipStatus.Alive) {

_myShip.FireAllGuns(CurrentSelectedTarget);

}

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
Auric Transition
#32 - 2013-06-11 18:56:42 UTC
" for the purpose of misleading other players."

Theres a difference in purposefully misleading a player and profitably scamming a character.

Scams have never been allowed to include pretending to be a GM, DEV, your mother, a sentient Rifter etc

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
Auric Transition
#33 - 2013-06-11 18:57:45 UTC
seth Hendar wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
seth Hendar wrote:
Guttripper wrote:

I would

if this would happen, i would be both sad and greatfull.

sad because if you are dumb to fall for it, you deserve it, on the other hand, greatfull becausehubs local would be quiet and jita limit would almost never reach

You're a good lad and I hope you dont get scammed.

I actually mean that.

Nice thick skin

Pretty eyes

I can haz?

Zircon Dasher
#34 - 2013-06-11 19:01:58 UTC
So.... ummm.... if I name my ship Romona McCandless's Ibis for the purposes of confusing someone they can petitio.....err...create a customer servie ticket (or wutever)?

Nerfing High-sec is never the answer. It is the question. The answer is 'YES'.

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#35 - 2013-06-11 19:02:15 UTC
seth Hendar wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
seth Hendar wrote:
since CCP, for obvious reasons, didn't linked any forum for this devblog, here's one.

said dev blog: Changes to the EVE Naming Policy

personally, i think this is just ********.....

Why? Is it the end of your pathetic scamming alts?

i don't scamm, and i don't like this, i would cut them in half, but there are dozens of pvp situation where you want to name your ship so a perrsonne who deosn't look carefully it's dscan could confuse you with something else, for example.

after this, you would not be allowed to name your ship "rifter" even if it IS a rifter, because:

Quote:

In-game names include, but are not limited to: Character names, corporation names, alliance names and any other player-nameable item or entity within the game world.
Oh, I think you've mis-read this rather badly.
That line refers to things which *you* can name - and you're not allowed to impersonate or misappropriate someone *else's* names. Nothing there says you can't name your Rifter "Small Mission Wreck" or "Force Field" or even "Cancel Primary."

What it means is you can't name your outpost "George Stephanopoulos."

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Kult Altol
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#36 - 2013-06-11 19:04:01 UTC
On my pvp alt, all her ships are named (_!_) or ( o Y o ) or some version.

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

Sipphakta en Gravonere
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2013-06-11 19:05:02 UTC
Zircon Dasher wrote:
So.... ummm.... if I name my ship Romona McCandless's Ibis for the purposes of confusing someone they can petitio.....err...create a customer servie ticket (or wutever)?

Is "Romona McCandless" one of:

- Employee or representative of EVE Online, CCP, Customer Support personnel or volunteers.
- NPC type from the EVE game world (i.e. CONCORD or other official NPC corporation or organization members)

If yes: Yes.
If no: No.

Simple as that.
seth Hendar
I love you miners
#38 - 2013-06-11 19:07:31 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
seth Hendar wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
seth Hendar wrote:
since CCP, for obvious reasons, didn't linked any forum for this devblog, here's one.

said dev blog: Changes to the EVE Naming Policy

personally, i think this is just ********.....

Why? Is it the end of your pathetic scamming alts?

i don't scamm, and i don't like this, i would cut them in half, but there are dozens of pvp situation where you want to name your ship so a perrsonne who deosn't look carefully it's dscan could confuse you with something else, for example.

after this, you would not be allowed to name your ship "rifter" even if it IS a rifter, because:

Quote:

In-game names include, but are not limited to: Character names, corporation names, alliance names and any other player-nameable item or entity within the game world.
Oh, I think you've mis-read this rather badly.
That line refers to things which *you* can name - and you're not allowed to impersonate or misappropriate someone *else's* names. Nothing there says you can't name your Rifter "Small Mission Wreck" or "Force Field" or even "Cancel Primary."

What it means is you can't name your outpost "George Stephanopoulos."

and like my first example "Sansha Lord"? you can't
S D Plissken
#39 - 2013-06-11 19:09:20 UTC
Ban player owned stations named after obliterated rodents. I'm sick of them.

Call me Snake

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
Auric Transition
#40 - 2013-06-11 19:13:09 UTC
Sipphakta en Gravonere wrote:
Zircon Dasher wrote:

Is "Romona McCandless" one of:

- Employee or representative of EVE Online, CCP, Customer Support personnel or volunteers.
- NPC type from the EVE game world (i.e. CONCORD or other official NPC corporation or organization members)

If yes: Yes.
If no: No.

Simple as that.

Is there even another player called "Romona McCandless"?

Is she one of my sibs?

Ive lost a brother, but I dont recall a sister by that name.

My mum's name is Ma'Baker McCandless