These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123
 

Renamed wormhole system, the great mystery

First post
Author
Shoo Dae
Perkone
Caldari State
#41 - 2013-07-02 16:00:26 UTC
The locus signatures have been one of my favorite mysteries in Eve and I'm wondering if we are finally going to get to the bottom of things with this change.

I wrote this Evelopedia article a few years ago and it is somewhat out of date by now:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Locus

The short version is that the locus breaks down to HH:MM:SS. Interesting to note that the new locus J170376 breaks the mold as there are not 76 seconds in a minute... I wonder what that could mean?

As for J1340+6 or J1259+0, does anyone know what those were renamed to?

Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#42 - 2013-07-02 17:50:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Messoroz
Shoo Dae wrote:
The locus signatures have been one of my favorite mysteries in Eve and I'm wondering if we are finally going to get to the bottom of things with this change.

I wrote this Evelopedia article a few years ago and it is somewhat out of date by now:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Locus

The short version is that the locus breaks down to HH:MM:SS. Interesting to note that the new locus J170376 breaks the mold as there are not 76 seconds in a minute... I wonder what that could mean?

As for J1340+6 or J1259+0, does anyone know what those were renamed to?



They just had their missing digit added in. They were renamed a year ago. J1340+6 -> J134096, J1259+0 -> J125990 I believe but I could be wrong.
Makoto Priano
Kirkinen-Arataka Transhuman Zenith Consulting Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#43 - 2013-07-02 19:23:11 UTC
So. If they do in fact have locations plotted relative to each other, I wouldn't be surprised if it's because of that whole stargate-building thing CCP wants to do. I wouldn't be surprised if both K-space and W-space end up having a lot of systems that players can jump to with exploratory vessels, build gates, and expaaaand...

Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries: exploring the edge of the known, advancing the state of the art. Would you like to know more?

Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#44 - 2013-07-02 22:05:01 UTC
Makoto Priano wrote:
So. If they do in fact have locations plotted relative to each other, I wouldn't be surprised if it's because of that whole stargate-building thing CCP wants to do. I wouldn't be surprised if both K-space and W-space end up having a lot of systems that players can jump to with exploratory vessels, build gates, and expaaaand...


All wspace systems have coordinates already, its in the database dump.
Faulx
Brother Fox Corp
#45 - 2013-07-02 23:10:18 UTC
These coordinates are apocryphal though: they aren't the "real" (in the lore) coordinates. They're where they are only for technical reasons.
subtle turtle
Doozer Mining Cartel
#46 - 2013-07-03 04:03:33 UTC
Clearly this is a HL3 teaser. CCP and Valve are one and the same! Gabe Himlar Newell Petursson is feeding us hints!
Shoo Dae
Perkone
Caldari State
#47 - 2013-07-03 06:50:06 UTC
Nivin Sajjad wrote:
J1226-0. That is all.



Hmm. Looks like J1226-0 is still getting API data in Dotlan maps...

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/J1226-0

CCP has had plenty of opportunity to rename it by now. Why not fix it unless it's meant to stick out?


Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#48 - 2013-07-03 19:41:53 UTC
Shoo Dae wrote:
Nivin Sajjad wrote:
J1226-0. That is all.



Hmm. Looks like J1226-0 is still getting API data in Dotlan maps...

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/J1226-0

CCP has had plenty of opportunity to rename it by now. Why not fix it unless it's meant to stick out?




It has been renamed. Dotlan just never updated their database. It doesn't matter because the API uses a solar system ID that never changes instead of the name.
Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#49 - 2013-07-03 19:43:18 UTC
Shoo Dae wrote:
Nivin Sajjad wrote:
J1226-0. That is all.



Hmm. Looks like J1226-0 is still getting API data in Dotlan maps...

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/J1226-0

CCP has had plenty of opportunity to rename it by now. Why not fix it unless it's meant to stick out?




It has been renamed. Dotlan just never updated their database. It doesn't matter because the API uses a solar system ID that never changes instead of the name.

It is now J122610
Shoo Dae
Perkone
Caldari State
#50 - 2013-07-04 01:23:41 UTC
Messoroz wrote:
Shoo Dae wrote:
Nivin Sajjad wrote:
J1226-0. That is all.



Hmm. Looks like J1226-0 is still getting API data in Dotlan maps...

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/J1226-0

CCP has had plenty of opportunity to rename it by now. Why not fix it unless it's meant to stick out?




It has been renamed. Dotlan just never updated their database. It doesn't matter because the API uses a solar system ID that never changes instead of the name.

It is now J122610



Hmm. Ok thanks for the info Messoroz. I'll update the wiki page once they let allow editing again.

Given that you've been tracking the locus "name changes" what do you think this is all about?


Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#51 - 2013-07-04 05:04:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Messoroz
Shoo Dae wrote:
Messoroz wrote:
Shoo Dae wrote:
Nivin Sajjad wrote:
J1226-0. That is all.



Hmm. Looks like J1226-0 is still getting API data in Dotlan maps...

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/J1226-0

CCP has had plenty of opportunity to rename it by now. Why not fix it unless it's meant to stick out?




It has been renamed. Dotlan just never updated their database. It doesn't matter because the API uses a solar system ID that never changes instead of the name.

It is now J122610



Hmm. Ok thanks for the info Messoroz. I'll update the wiki page once they let allow editing again.

Given that you've been tracking the locus "name changes" what do you think this is all about?




Eh, there's not so secret reasons I track the changes but nothing to do with lore or me caring about CCP's whatever plan. Gotta keep things operational.
Faulx
Brother Fox Corp
#52 - 2013-07-05 06:22:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Faulx
I on the other hand have been tracking the lore, and I suspect it's a case of left hand (content team) not knowing what right hand (lore team) is doing. This type of thing is not unheard of with CCP, for example "marketing" made the Eve Universe trailer that was riddled with lore inconsistencies... That or CCP is being either purposefully or accidentally obtuse about how quasars loci work (and 9s and 7s where only a 0-5 should be supports this). RA without Dec is basically useless, meaning that no one can actually use the wormhole names to make a sky map of their true locations.
Nix Anteris
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#53 - 2013-07-05 10:58:00 UTC
@Faulx, you're probably right. Detracts from the sci-fi feel somewhat, but in reality the change has little bearing or meaning.
Shoo Dae
Perkone
Caldari State
#54 - 2013-07-06 01:13:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Shoo Dae
Faulx, I think you are correct in that it is probably a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing (or has done). The wormhole locus system originated back in the days of CCP Dropbear and I'm speculating that the dev team at that time had plans for wormhole space that were never implemented and then key people (including Dropbear) left the company, so some sense of direction was lost. I remember reading forum comments by CCP Dropbear that a lot of the details in wormhole space were not just fluff but that the in-game lore actually "meant something" and these were clues for us to follow. Given the direction of the current teams, I believe whatever was intended by Dropbear and his contemporaries was abandoned, at least for a time. Maybe this latest locus name change is a signal of something going on behind the scenes. Otherwise, why change it?

Your comments regarding the RA and dec are spot on and I think that might be exactly the point. The locus signatures aren't meant to be used in the way we would use them in "the real world" but they do represent something meaningful... otherwise why not just have random numbers? They may not represent spatial coordinates, but something else. At least I hope they do, otherwise I am wasting my time. And that's a pretty good possibility too.

What keeps me interested is this: Even though the loci are unusable as a traditional navigation system, they do fit a pattern with a few exceptions. What is it about the exceptions that we are supposed to understand? Are these renamed loci some place special to which we are supposed to travel or are they keys to unlocking a pattern for all of the loci?
JAG Fox
GunStars
#55 - 2013-07-14 17:18:49 UTC
Wow.. I love space nerds!

 Fox Pin-up

Kisses!Foxie.

Previous page123