These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Why I've started playing EVE

First post
Author
Sven Viko VIkolander
Allemannsrett
#1 - 2011-10-21 22:03:50 UTC


While I've known about EVE for a long time, I only just recently (in the past week after a trial period) subscribed. This, you might think, is a very odd time to subscribe, with the uncertainty of the future of the game. I joined because I am sick, completely sick, of other MMOs and their free to play/pay to win models, with their catering solely to the most casual players possible, making the game as simple and easy as possible, and caring not a sliver for their veteran playerbase.

I've left one such game recently, along with many of my RL friends and kin/guild mates after playing it for years. I know EVE has its problems, but let me tell you, if you are like me and love PVP, love risk, love freedom, love real difficulty and challenge in a game, and love a game that rewards the investment of time, then the MMO market is an utter wasteland. After trying out many games, Eve is the best there is IMO.

The piece of feedback I have, then, is this: Capitalize on the fact that EVE doesn't just hold a corner in a market, EVE IS the market. The moment EVE capitulates to the purely causal, the simplistic, the instant satisfaction, and the free-to-play/pay-to-win model, the game is done. I'm out, most of the current players are out, the people who run the fantastic fan sites and wikis that bring new players (like me) into the game are out. And for you Eve vets that are getting fed up, stick with it even though Eve seems to have the whiniest players around. There's hope. And at the end of the day, there's also no where else to go.

Now...I look forward to being ganked by all of you.
David Carel
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2011-10-22 01:40:59 UTC
Sven Viko VIkolander wrote:


While I've known about EVE for a long time, I only just recently (in the past week after a trial period) subscribed. This, you might think, is a very odd time to subscribe, with the uncertainty of the future of the game. I joined because I am sick, completely sick, of other MMOs and their free to play/pay to win models, with their catering solely to the most casual players possible, making the game as simple and easy as possible, and caring not a sliver for their veteran playerbase.

I've left one such game recently, along with many of my RL friends and kin/guild mates after playing it for years. I know EVE has its problems, but let me tell you, if you are like me and love PVP, love risk, love freedom, love real difficulty and challenge in a game, and love a game that rewards the investment of time, then the MMO market is an utter wasteland. After trying out many games, Eve is the best there is IMO.

The piece of feedback I have, then, is this: Capitalize on the fact that EVE doesn't just hold a corner in a market, EVE IS the market. The moment EVE capitulates to the purely causal, the simplistic, the instant satisfaction, and the free-to-play/pay-to-win model, the game is done. I'm out, most of the current players are out, the people who run the fantastic fan sites and wikis that bring new players (like me) into the game are out. And for you Eve vets that are getting fed up, stick with it even though Eve seems to have the whiniest players around. There's hope. And at the end of the day, there's also no where else to go.

Now...I look forward to being ganked by all of you.


Come over to Deklein.
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Noctis
Shoot First.
#3 - 2011-10-22 02:18:23 UTC  |  Edited by: FloppieTheBanjoClown
I said for years if I played an MMO it would be Eve. I avoided it as long as I could because I knew it would hook me, and it has.

OP is absolutely right. The more you "dumb down" Eve and make it friendly for the casual MMO players, the more you push away your hardcore player base. Remember that Eve's publicity is tenuous at best, and most of its coverage in gaming publications has to do with what the players get up to. Eve doesn't have epic quests. It doesn't have instances that require entire corps to handle them. The compelling content is created by US, the players. If you take that away, or drive away the guys who create that news, Eve is doomed to wither and die.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Darius III
Interstellar eXodus
#4 - 2011-10-22 03:22:08 UTC
Also you can look forward to ganking some of us too.

Hmmm

destiny2
A Blessed Bean
Pandemic Horde
#5 - 2011-10-25 01:09:17 UTC
David Carel wrote:
Sven Viko VIkolander wrote:


While I've known about EVE for a long time, I only just recently (in the past week after a trial period) subscribed. This, you might think, is a very odd time to subscribe, with the uncertainty of the future of the game. I joined because I am sick, completely sick, of other MMOs and their free to play/pay to win models, with their catering solely to the most casual players possible, making the game as simple and easy as possible, and caring not a sliver for their veteran playerbase.

I've left one such game recently, along with many of my RL friends and kin/guild mates after playing it for years. I know EVE has its problems, but let me tell you, if you are like me and love PVP, love risk, love freedom, love real difficulty and challenge in a game, and love a game that rewards the investment of time, then the MMO market is an utter wasteland. After trying out many games, Eve is the best there is IMO.

The piece of feedback I have, then, is this: Capitalize on the fact that EVE doesn't just hold a corner in a market, EVE IS the market. The moment EVE capitulates to the purely causal, the simplistic, the instant satisfaction, and the free-to-play/pay-to-win model, the game is done. I'm out, most of the current players are out, the people who run the fantastic fan sites and wikis that bring new players (like me) into the game are out. And for you Eve vets that are getting fed up, stick with it even though Eve seems to have the whiniest players around. There's hope. And at the end of the day, there's also no where else to go.

Now...I look forward to being ganked by all of you.


Come over to Deklein.


Ive been to deklein and all of you stayed in your stations :( or POS stations.
Kinis Deren
Mosquito Squadron
D0GS OF WAR
#6 - 2011-10-26 12:49:36 UTC
Sven Viko VIkolander wrote:


While I've known about EVE for a long time, I only just recently (in the past week after a trial period) subscribed. This, you might think, is a very odd time to subscribe, with the uncertainty of the future of the game. I joined because I am sick, completely sick, of other MMOs and their free to play/pay to win models, with their catering solely to the most casual players possible, making the game as simple and easy as possible, and caring not a sliver for their veteran playerbase.

I've left one such game recently, along with many of my RL friends and kin/guild mates after playing it for years. I know EVE has its problems, but let me tell you, if you are like me and love PVP, love risk, love freedom, love real difficulty and challenge in a game, and love a game that rewards the investment of time, then the MMO market is an utter wasteland. After trying out many games, Eve is the best there is IMO.

The piece of feedback I have, then, is this: Capitalize on the fact that EVE doesn't just hold a corner in a market, EVE IS the market. The moment EVE capitulates to the purely causal, the simplistic, the instant satisfaction, and the free-to-play/pay-to-win model, the game is done. I'm out, most of the current players are out, the people who run the fantastic fan sites and wikis that bring new players (like me) into the game are out. And for you Eve vets that are getting fed up, stick with it even though Eve seems to have the whiniest players around. There's hope. And at the end of the day, there's also no where else to go.

Now...I look forward to being ganked by all of you.


+1

Your experiences of other MMOs echoes exactly my own and, like you, I'm so glad that I took the recent plunge into the universe of New Eden.

Fly fast, live dangerously! O7
Koby Botick
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2011-11-01 14:21:04 UTC
Fully concurr with the OPs opinion. I am in the same boat. The lack of a generic "everyone gets everything" broadest-appeal as possible makes this game unique and interesting.

If CCP/EVE want's to attract more players without losing others by making it mainstream casual, they have to completely throw away this horribly god awful user interface and replace it completely (not just add long overdue standard features like scaling and fonts with distinguashable characters). It's the first thing new players see and it's just extremly bad. I am convinced newbies fight the UI more than the less usual game philosophy and lots quit without being able to actually tell and give feedback why they didn't like it, when it was due to the UI. There's a little anecdote from Blizzard at http://www.virginworlds.com/pg.php?n=3406&tran=yes that exemplifies how huge an influence even the tiniest problem in the UI can have (quoted as it's a big text):

Quote:
Another thing I think is really important is game control and is something I think is taken for granted a lot of the time. For the fighting games - brawler genre like God of War, I know it's huge. Nintendo makes it a big deal too. But, I don't hear a lot of game developers talk about control because it's taken for granted. It is really important. It is something your programmers have to be on top of and need to be talking about. There's an example from back when I was developing WC3 where I could feel some lag in the mouse cursor, it wasn't a lot but it was a little bit. I kept going to our lead programmer and saying I think there's something wrong with the mouse cursor. And he kept telling me that "I checked it. I looked at it. It's all fine. It's all good." Over a period of a few months I went to him a number of times. He said, "Okay, I'm going to program in a utility to try to figure it out." So he programmed in a hardware cursor and a game cursor so you could see both at the same time and lo and behold there were three frames of cursor lag. Not a big deal right? But, it is. That is a big deal. Your frame rate is a big deal because these are things that contribute slightly and visually to that game control and if your game control isn't very responsive players will never tell you that. They're not going to mention that in the forums because it's something that's more subconscious. But they will leave your game over it. You'll never know that that's the reason.


I am also sure that this post changes nothing and we will still fight with this horribly UI from 1992 in 3 years.
Venus Vermillion
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2011-11-02 23:39:34 UTC
Sven Viko VIkolander wrote:


:words:


I like the cut of your jib, fella.

You should head toward Deklein like my fabulous colleague suggested. We do a lot of what your :words: said and would be happy to help you do it too.
Sephiroth Clone VII
Imperial Dreams
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#9 - 2011-11-03 00:09:35 UTC
I am not sure this has much to do with csm.

But I concur

What makes eve different?

Its really player driven, like everything. Even in empire the majority of the 'safe' market is players. About everything but BPO, skill books is players.

The CCP makes lore, but the bigger story is what players do. The mittani wages war on industry in galante high sec causing oxygen isotopes to rise in price. No game master coded this, it was done by players. One empire falls another rises, the NC used to be the largest most stable power block in game, same with band of brothers.

Temba Ronin
#10 - 2011-11-04 00:28:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Temba Ronin
Sven you are the perfect cannon fodder for the MMO that doesn't give a sliver about new players and caters exclusively to their whiny afraid to undock alone vets.

Forget about the freedom part however there is a master plan for EVE and you will follow it.

You will be dragged into a large Null Alliance where you will follow orders that promote the hive mind and not individual skill.

Your kill mail list will bloom with the many kills you make .... but when you look closer you'll realize they all come with 10 to 30 people helping on every kill ..... your EVE existence will be that of a mindless bullet in the barrel of a machine gun that your Alliance masters aim and fire at their whim ......... Sven you have a shiny path laid out before you so long as you conform and always follow orders! Ugh

The Best Ship In EVE Online Is "Friendship", Power To The Players!

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#11 - 2011-11-05 21:26:21 UTC
Temba Ronin wrote:
Sven you are the perfect cannon fodder for the MMO that doesn't give a sliver about new players and caters exclusively to their whiny afraid to undock alone vets.

Forget about the freedom part however there is a master plan for EVE and you will follow it.

You will be dragged into a large Null Alliance where you will follow orders that promote the hive mind and not individual skill.

Your kill mail list will bloom with the many kills you make .... but when you look closer you'll realize they all come with 10 to 30 people helping on every kill ..... your EVE existence will be that of a mindless bullet in the barrel of a machine gun that your Alliance masters aim and fire at their whim ......... Sven you have a shiny path laid out before you so long as you conform and always follow orders! Ugh


Quoting a guy who stays in an NPC corp.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Temba Ronin
#12 - 2011-11-05 21:30:03 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Temba Ronin wrote:
Sven you are the perfect cannon fodder for the MMO that doesn't give a sliver about new players and caters exclusively to their whiny afraid to undock alone vets.

Forget about the freedom part however there is a master plan for EVE and you will follow it.

You will be dragged into a large Null Alliance where you will follow orders that promote the hive mind and not individual skill.

Your kill mail list will bloom with the many kills you make .... but when you look closer you'll realize they all come with 10 to 30 people helping on every kill ..... your EVE existence will be that of a mindless bullet in the barrel of a machine gun that your Alliance masters aim and fire at their whim ......... Sven you have a shiny path laid out before you so long as you conform and always follow orders! Ugh


Quoting a guy who stays in an NPC corp.

I didn't get your point, can i request a little clarification please.

The Best Ship In EVE Online Is "Friendship", Power To The Players!

Cellyss
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2011-11-12 01:58:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Cellyss
I have played a certain MMO for 4 years. My final day was when I ventured out of the faction camp and realized that all of this redundancy was pointless and painfully boring.

I came back to Eve and I don't think I will unsub. Every time I undock I ask myself the following question: What is going to happen today? The beauty of this game is that nothing is certain and you are never entirely safe. ANYTHING can happen. Honestly I appreciate the piracy and the deceit. These brigands, these scammers, these griefers, call them what you will, these players bring an interesting element to this game. Yes there has been an uproar lately on the subject of the Goonswarm and ice mining and this puts a smile on my face. Not because carebears are being affected because I wish no ill will towards anybody personally, but because this specific alliance is composed of players who make things happen. In all of this I try to imagine ways on how I can make a good profit.

At this moment, I am still relatively new and there isn't much I can do. However, I will continue increasing my SP and I will read as much as I can on this universe. I will listen to those who are generous enough to teach what I have to know to survive. CCP will continue receiving my hard earned money just as long as they keep this game dangerous and uncertain.
Lissa Rinseller
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2011-11-12 08:52:13 UTC
Temba Ronin wrote:
Sven you are the perfect cannon fodder for the MMO that doesn't give a sliver about new players and caters exclusively to their whiny afraid to undock alone vets.

Forget about the freedom part however there is a master plan for EVE and you will follow it.

You will be dragged into a large Null Alliance where you will follow orders that promote the hive mind and not individual skill.

Your kill mail list will bloom with the many kills you make .... but when you look closer you'll realize they all come with 10 to 30 people helping on every kill ..... your EVE existence will be that of a mindless bullet in the barrel of a machine gun that your Alliance masters aim and fire at their whim ......... Sven you have a shiny path laid out before you so long as you conform and always follow orders! Ugh


Another new player chiming in: where's the unlike button?
Velicitia
XS Tech
#15 - 2011-11-12 18:03:14 UTC
Lissa Rinseller wrote:
Temba Ronin wrote:
Sven you are the perfect cannon fodder for the MMO that doesn't give a sliver about new players and caters exclusively to their whiny afraid to undock alone vets.

Forget about the freedom part however there is a master plan for EVE and you will follow it.

You will be dragged into a large Null Alliance where you will follow orders that promote the hive mind and not individual skill.

Your kill mail list will bloom with the many kills you make .... but when you look closer you'll realize they all come with 10 to 30 people helping on every kill ..... your EVE existence will be that of a mindless bullet in the barrel of a machine gun that your Alliance masters aim and fire at their whim ......... Sven you have a shiny path laid out before you so long as you conform and always follow orders! Ugh


Another new player chiming in: where's the unlike button?


Assuming you don't want to see bad shiptoasting ..

click the name of the person --> block posts.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia