These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

Odyssey Hyperion

First post
Author
Hiriome
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-06-04 18:06:41 UTC
So I'm lost on this... what justifies the loss of 1 high and 2 turret slots on the Hyperion with the gain of 1 low slot oh and +75 to drone bay and +25 bandwidth. Even if I throw on another mag stab I personally believe it won't make up for that loss. At least for me, those changes are detrimental. I don't know. I just think these are unwarranted changes to a ship that wasn't broken, in my opinion.
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#2 - 2013-06-04 18:09:38 UTC
The damage bonus also doubled. 6 guns +50% = 9 gun equivalent. This compares to 8 guns +25% for a former 10 gun equivalent.
Hiriome
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-06-04 18:16:03 UTC
So as the numbers pan out, overall it is slightly weaker than it used to be, by 1 weapon. I'll be honest, what it received in place of those two turret slots don't make up for them. For me, drones are a last resort and are rarely used. What good are they when you're sitting 150k+ away from you enemy? None. I guess it's whatever, though. Not a blasted thing I can do about it...
Nagamor
The Organization of Fire and Steel
Elementium Alliance
#4 - 2013-06-04 18:29:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Nagamor
Yeesh. At 150km you don't have many options. Sounds like they gave you a prime opportunity to use Sentries to me.
Mizhir
Devara Biotech
#5 - 2013-06-04 18:31:17 UTC
Hiriome wrote:
So as the numbers pan out, overall it is slightly weaker than it used to be, by 1 weapon. I'll be honest, what it received in place of those two turret slots don't make up for them. For me, drones are a last resort and are rarely used. What good are they when you're sitting 150k+ away from you enemy? None. I guess it's whatever, though. Not a blasted thing I can do about it...


Sentry drones?

The new hyperion is awesome.... Deal with it.

❤️️💛💚💙💜

Denidil
Cascades Mountain Operatives
#6 - 2013-06-04 21:22:33 UTC
Adapt, or contract me all your stuff.

Tedium and difficulty are not the same thing, if you don't realize this then STFU about game design.

DeLindsay
Galaxies Fall
#7 - 2013-06-04 21:44:13 UTC
Hiriome wrote:
So as the numbers pan out, overall it is slightly weaker than it used to be, by 1 weapon. I'll be honest, what it received in place of those two turret slots don't make up for them. For me, drones are a last resort and are rarely used. What good are they when you're sitting 150k+ away from you enemy? None. I guess it's whatever, though. Not a blasted thing I can do about it...
The "overall" changes are STRONGER than the ship was before. The Hyperion is not meant to be a sniping platform, it's specifically designed to be an in-your-face-pwn-machine. CCP and the rest of Eve doesn't care that YOU don't like Drones. Using (5) Heavies + Neutron Blasters = quite a bit more DPS than pre-Odyssey while being capable of tanking slightly better than before.

The Operative: "There are a lot of innocent people being killed in the air right now".

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "You have no idea how true that is".

Verity Sovereign
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2013-06-04 22:13:52 UTC
9 vs 10 effective turrets
3 heavy 2 medium vs 5 heavy drones
Basically, one gives up a turret to gain a heavy drone... Me no like

Especially when you onsider those turrets will be getting bonuses from heat sinks and such, but its not really viable to throw DDAs on there...

Also, thats at lvl 5 skills which many players won't have (I've only got lvl 4 gal BS)

So that makes it 6 *1.4 = 8.4 turrets vs 8 * 1.2= 9.6 turrets for a 1.2 effective turret difference.
At lvl 3, its even worse.
6*1.3 = 7.8 vs 8*1.15 = 9.2 1.4 turret difference

Its gun DPS now, at lvl 5, is worse than it was before at lvl 3.

Predator989
People of Random Nature
#9 - 2013-06-04 22:22:38 UTC
Verity Sovereign wrote:
9 vs 10 effective turrets
3 heavy 2 medium vs 5 heavy drones
Basically, one gives up a turret to gain a heavy drone... Me no like

Especially when you onsider those turrets will be getting bonuses from heat sinks and such, but its not really viable to throw DDAs on there...

Also, thats at lvl 5 skills which many players won't have (I've only got lvl 4 gal BS)

So that makes it 6 *1.4 = 8.4 turrets vs 8 * 1.2= 9.6 turrets for a 1.2 effective turret difference.
At lvl 3, its even worse.
6*1.3 = 7.8 vs 8*1.15 = 9.2 1.4 turret difference

Its gun DPS now, at lvl 5, is worse than it was before at lvl 3.




This is what you are missing:

1) You can field heavys and 2 waves of lights
2) You can fit a heavy neut in that highslot to counter other active tankers/kiting ships
3) Less cap being used so that means more for you to repair your ship with.

Look at the hyp this way....its an active tanked megathron now with the hyp rep bonus minus the tracking. Its pretty damn awesome honestly.
God's Apples
Wildcard.
Boundary Experts
#10 - 2013-06-04 22:26:19 UTC
You guys haven't taken into account that:

a) With fewer guns you can fit larger guns to make up (partially) for the dps loss
b) There is another low slot which can be used to either surpass the previous dps or have way more tank.

Also with the slight increase in PG and fewer turret slots combined with the additional it makes it easier to build a viable triple rep hype which is super legit.

"Hydra Reloaded are just jealous / butthurt on me / us because we can get tons of PVP action in empire while they aren't good enough to get that." - NightmareX

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#11 - 2013-06-04 22:30:00 UTC

You know.... There is a 133 page thread in F&I discussing, in detail, the changes to the Hyperion (and other Gallente Battleships). The original changes were announced in early April, and revised based on feedback...

I'ts a little late to be bitching about it now!!!! I understand if you need to quit the game because of this, just please contract me your stuffs before you go!

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#12 - 2013-06-04 22:33:54 UTC
Verity Sovereign wrote:
9 vs 10 effective turrets
3 heavy 2 medium vs 5 heavy drones
Basically, one gives up a turret to gain a heavy drone... Me no like

Especially when you onsider those turrets will be getting bonuses from heat sinks and such, but its not really viable to throw DDAs on there...

Also, thats at lvl 5 skills which many players won't have (I've only got lvl 4 gal BS)

So that makes it 6 *1.4 = 8.4 turrets vs 8 * 1.2= 9.6 turrets for a 1.2 effective turret difference.
At lvl 3, its even worse.
6*1.3 = 7.8 vs 8*1.15 = 9.2 1.4 turret difference

Its gun DPS now, at lvl 5, is worse than it was before at lvl 3.



And with the extra low slot, you can put on a MFS to boost your dps by another 10%.
So, 9*1.1 = 9.9 vs 10....

Granted, you may have to deal with some stacking penalties that don't boost it up so much.

P.S.... get your skills up....
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#13 - 2013-06-04 22:50:17 UTC
God's Apples wrote:
You guys haven't taken into account that:

a) With fewer guns you can fit larger guns to make up (partially) for the dps loss
b) There is another low slot which can be used to either surpass the previous dps or have way more tank.

Also with the slight increase in PG and fewer turret slots combined with the additional it makes it easier to build a viable triple rep hype which is super legit.


heck yea, I would guess you can now fly a dual rep fit with something other than electron blasters.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Bigg Gun
T.I.E. Inc.
#14 - 2013-06-05 00:26:15 UTC
I gave all the feedback I could and they didn't change ****. They raised the price of ships and lowered their usefulness. FU CCP
Major Killz
inglorious bastards.
#15 - 2013-06-05 00:58:26 UTC
I'm going to put more tank on it and 1337 a belt filled with mining barges and Gnosis.


- killz

[u]Ich bin ein Pirat ![/u]

DeLindsay
Galaxies Fall
#16 - 2013-06-05 02:59:27 UTC
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
God's Apples wrote:
You guys haven't taken into account that:

a) With fewer guns you can fit larger guns to make up (partially) for the dps loss
b) There is another low slot which can be used to either surpass the previous dps or have way more tank.

Also with the slight increase in PG and fewer turret slots combined with the additional it makes it easier to build a viable triple rep hype which is super legit.


heck yea, I would guess you can now fly a dual rep fit with something other than electron blasters.
This as well. Before today it was IMPOSSIBLE to fit a full bank of Neutrons + (1) Heavy Cap Booster + (2) LAR II's without Imps/upgrades, and that's without a single other module on the ship. Now, you can fit a full bank of Neutrons + (2) Heavy Cap Boosters + (2) LAR II's + AB (or get a little creative with Meta 4/Faction modules to fit a MWD instead) + all the rest of the modules/rigs. This gives the Odyssey Hype MORE DPS while simultaneously MORE TANK to become an overall more effective ship.

The Operative: "There are a lot of innocent people being killed in the air right now".

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "You have no idea how true that is".

Auduin Samson
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2013-06-05 03:31:47 UTC
Hiriome wrote:
For me, drones are a last resort and are rarely used.


Is nobody going to ask why this person is flying Gallente?
Kalihira
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#18 - 2013-06-05 08:27:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Kalihira
Auduin Samson wrote:
Hiriome wrote:
For me, drones are a last resort and are rarely used.


Is nobody going to ask why this person is flying Gallente?


why is he flying gallente? (you're right ;-) )
Kasutra
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#19 - 2013-06-05 08:49:27 UTC
God's Apples wrote:
Also with the slight increase in PG and fewer turret slots combined with the additional it makes it easier to build a viable triple rep hype which is super legit.


This. The effective fittings got boosted a lot. Its slot layout now makes more sense for armor tanking. It got an extra heavy drone.

It was really hectic getting something good out of the ship, now it won't be. Even if the deeps drops slightly, I'd say it's worth it.
Swordfingers
The Swollen Horse Society
#20 - 2013-06-05 15:50:01 UTC
Hiriome wrote:
So as the numbers pan out, overall it is slightly weaker than it used to be, by 1 weapon. I'll be honest, what it received in place of those two turret slots don't make up for them. For me, drones are a last resort and are rarely used. What good are they when you're sitting 150k+ away from you enemy? None. I guess it's whatever, though. Not a blasted thing I can do about it...

So you fight at 150+ km and don't use drones. The first question that comes to my mind is, why the holy **** would you use a Hyperion (BEFORE or after the changes)???
123Next page