These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Can we turn off the new jump animation?

First post First post First post
Author
Garaba
we are farmers ba bada bom bom bom bom bom
#161 - 2013-06-05 21:25:56 UTC
CCP BunnyVirus wrote:
Giovannui wrote:
The new jump animation introduces too much lag when multi-boxing. is there a way to turn it off? If not, please give us the ability to use the old system again.



there is no old system anymore



Thanks for wasting your time on something that only makes the game lag hard, instead of making my ships pretty.
Sister Sophia
Doomheim
#162 - 2013-06-05 21:30:19 UTC
(1) The motion sickness is real. I play on a high-grade workstation so I can assure you that it has nothing to do with cheap hardware.

(2) Anyone suggesting that players 'look away' or switch to map view while jumping probably hasn't done much delicate work in nullsec while flying a vulnerable vessel. Those living in low- and null- must stay on the ball before and after each jump.

(3) The risk to epileptics and those prone to motion sickness has evidently not been assessed. I really hope the CCP advisory team is looking into the relevant legal precedents in case someone does actually get sick.

(4) A helpful soul earlier suggested that those who now find the game partly unplayable move to WH -- and to be fair, that's not a bad idea. The other option is simply to walk away for a few months until the problem is addressed by the programmers. If there is no "old animation" then I suppose CCP will need time to make a brand new one which is easier on the eyes. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few months away from the game as they do this.

Keav
Imperial Space Corporation
#163 - 2013-06-05 22:05:04 UTC
Just to add my pennies worth to the subject:

I fully support the effort to remove loading bars and make the whole Eve experience more seamless and immersive - excellent idea.

However... this animation is pretty poor. It's not as polished as many of the other effects in Eve and overall it's such a mixed bag.

I love the new shimmering gates. I even quite like the camera rotation to the gate on initiating a jump... but the 'tunnel' effect really is terrible. The transition into it is not at all smooth.. although coming out at the end is very good. I see no reason to rotate the camera back to the gate at the end of it all though. I've entered the system facing a certain way (hopefully in actual alignment with the system I've come from), so why not just leave me there to look around for myself?

Good idea, poorly implemented, and as I say, that tunnel effect needs work.

p.s. sorry to be so critical, I actually love just about everything else you've done in Odyssey! Lol
Barron Hammerstrike
Medusa Nova Mining And Trade
#164 - 2013-06-05 22:14:39 UTC
Personally I don't see why there was thought to be a need to change the undock and gate jump animations. I was totally cool with the old animations and never felt a lack of immersion. In fact I really liked the beam of light shooting off to the next gate.

To me this new animation is awkward and makes jumping a bit of a headache. I'm actually more inclined to afk auto pilot because I simply don't want to see it every time I jump.

+1 for an option to turn it off.

It's a cool animation, but not a fun one.
Eram Fidard
Doomheim
#165 - 2013-06-05 22:29:00 UTC
This is something I was initially excited for, but then I logged in to check it out for myself.

The "camera whip" is too sharp; sure players whip the camera around all the time but that is under our control. Having a sudden camera movement that you cannot control is ridiculous. At least slow it down/ease into it a little more.

On top of that, I'm running a i7-920, with a month-old GTX 660 2gb card and 16gb of ram, with most 'higher end' settings disabled. Jumping through a gate with a single client dropped tons of frames (5 distinct hitches for one animation, cmon!).

One final nitpick -though it doesn't have to do with the jump effect itself- even with the UI disabled (ctrl-f9 or whatever) the damn scan graphics and signatures show up on jump-in. WTF CCP?

You do realise people make videos from your game, right? So much for trying to get nice footage of a jump-in, you'll have random 'artifacts' showing up in your footage, whether you like it or not.

Poster is not to be held responsible for damages to keyboards and/or noses caused by hot beverages.

Strom Crendraven
Awakened Ones
#166 - 2013-06-05 22:43:22 UTC
CCP BunnyVirus wrote:
Giovannui wrote:
The new jump animation introduces too much lag when multi-boxing. is there a way to turn it off? If not, please give us the ability to use the old system again.



there is no old system anymore


Translation - Fu** you we don't care, just shut-up and pay us!
Raze Zindonas
TYR.
Exodus.
#167 - 2013-06-05 22:59:30 UTC
Sister Sophia wrote:
(1) The motion sickness is real. I play on a high-grade workstation so I can assure you that it has nothing to do with cheap hardware.

(2) Anyone suggesting that players 'look away' or switch to map view while jumping probably hasn't done much delicate work in nullsec while flying a vulnerable vessel. Those living in low- and null- must stay on the ball before and after each jump.

(3) The risk to epileptics and those prone to motion sickness has evidently not been assessed. I really hope the CCP advisory team is looking into the relevant legal precedents in case someone does actually get sick.

(4) A helpful soul earlier suggested that those who now find the game partly unplayable move to WH -- and to be fair, that's not a bad idea. The other option is simply to walk away for a few months until the problem is addressed by the programmers. If there is no "old animation" then I suppose CCP will need time to make a brand new one which is easier on the eyes. I'm perfectly willing to spend a few months away from the game as they do this.



There is a warning about epileptic seizures in the EULA:
SEIZURE WARNING
In rare instances, some users may experience seizures when exposed to certain light patterns or flashing lights. Exposure to certain light patterns or backgrounds on a video monitor may induce an epileptic seizure, even in persons who have no history of prior seizures or epilepsy.

Legally they are covered.
Sister Sophia
Doomheim
#168 - 2013-06-05 23:14:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Sister Sophia
Raze Zindonas wrote:
Legally they are covered.


Fair enough. So that removes legal action as a motivation for CCP to improve this aspect of their product. One might still want to ask whether it's ethical to put out a program with a poorly understood cognitive impact on its users. But nevermind. This leaves the following arguments that have been offered thus far for an on/off toggle for this effect:

(a) Good idea, poorly implemented. Not very polished. (Keav)

(b) Cool animation but not a fun one. (Hammerstrike).

(c) The 'camera whip' is too sharp. It's disorienting. (Fidard)

(d) People make movies from this stuff. There's an economic element. This messes that up. (Fidard)

(e) If enough people actually really can't take it, they will not be able to help playing a lot less.

I've probably missed a few?

One other thing I should point out: if they were to put in the toggle, they'd see pretty quickly how many people actually used it. I'd guess over half. But they probably don't want to bother coding that up. Pity.
Tiven loves Tansien
Doomheim
#169 - 2013-06-05 23:15:33 UTC
Strom Crendraven wrote:
CCP BunnyVirus wrote:
Giovannui wrote:
The new jump animation introduces too much lag when multi-boxing. is there a way to turn it off? If not, please give us the ability to use the old system again.



there is no old system anymore


Translation - Fu** you we don't care, just shut-up and pay us!


Well, you guys still are paying them... right? LolLolLolLol
Sister Sophia
Doomheim
#170 - 2013-06-05 23:18:36 UTC
Tiven loves Tansien wrote:
Well, you guys still are paying them... right?


Check out (d) and (e) above. This may actually force people who like the game quite a lot to play a lot less. Some for economic reasons. Some for cognitive health reasons.
Gallowmere Rorschach
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#171 - 2013-06-05 23:23:08 UTC
Tiven loves Tansien wrote:
Strom Crendraven wrote:
CCP BunnyVirus wrote:
Giovannui wrote:
The new jump animation introduces too much lag when multi-boxing. is there a way to turn it off? If not, please give us the ability to use the old system again.



there is no old system anymore


Translation - Fu** you we don't care, just shut-up and pay us!


Well, you guys still are paying them... right? LolLolLolLol

Nope. Sub is cancelled until this animation can be turned off. I genuinely hope that doesn't translate into "permenant".
dark heartt
#172 - 2013-06-05 23:24:57 UTC
Pak Narhoo wrote:
dark heartt wrote:
Brek Blood wrote:
You would think that games would be more tolerant of camera rotations. sea sick much?

This is an amazing effect and it really ties together the systems so that I no longer feed like I'm playing in isolated systems. Everyone now feels connected.

Kudos CCP!


+1. I tried it out through highsec before and everything feels so much smoother, and they have killed a lot of loading time for me (granted I play with a high end PC so I don't have graphical lag issues like the OP).

To the OP, this animation is the sort of thing that graphically makes sense a lot more than anything to do with WIS. It is a fantastic change.

I recommend upgrading your computer, as I would bet a sizable sum that is where the problem lies.


Where can I upgrade my head? Shocked
Comp is fine, head not when jumping.


Need to get those anti-nausea implants man. I can sell you some for 500 mill each, but I'll need cash up front.
dark heartt
#173 - 2013-06-05 23:26:17 UTC
Gallowmere Rorschach wrote:
Tiven loves Tansien wrote:
Strom Crendraven wrote:
CCP BunnyVirus wrote:
Giovannui wrote:
The new jump animation introduces too much lag when multi-boxing. is there a way to turn it off? If not, please give us the ability to use the old system again.



there is no old system anymore


Translation - Fu** you we don't care, just shut-up and pay us!


Well, you guys still are paying them... right? LolLolLolLol

Nope. Sub is cancelled until this animation can be turned off. I genuinely hope that doesn't translate into "permenant".


So you are actually going to unsub over an animation? Well I guess each to his own, but that seems a little extreme to me.
Sister Sophia
Doomheim
#174 - 2013-06-05 23:35:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Sister Sophia
By the way, in case anyone at CCP actually does read this... what might help you guys is a small cognitive science lab on site or one you can contract out to. When those guys are not assessing your new ideas for cognitive impact, they can help improve the AI of various NPCs, perhaps adding complexity to those interactions.

Just an idea. Maybe you already have a cog-sci lab that I know nothing about. Apologies for being redundant twice in one day if that's the case.
Gallowmere Rorschach
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#175 - 2013-06-05 23:49:48 UTC
dark heartt wrote:
So you are actually going to unsub over an animation? Well I guess each to his own, but that seems a little extreme to me.

It's not extreme at all when I can't really play as is. I refuse to subscribe to the "just bring up the map" crap. I am a nullsec pvper who often flies CovOps. That gate time is always life or death for a CovOps if there is anything sitting on either side.
Sister Sophia
Doomheim
#176 - 2013-06-06 00:10:03 UTC
Gallowmere Rorschach wrote:
Nope. Sub is cancelled until this animation can be turned off. I genuinely hope that doesn't translate into "permenant".


I actually think a better option for now would be simply to play a lot less. I will keep training my skills at least for a few months in the hopes that CCP come around. It's summer anyway, so I'm happy to spend the time outside or at work. I don't mind the subscription fees, at least for a bit. I can reassess down the road.
Hantaria Clivan
ThErEaLdEaL...
#177 - 2013-06-06 00:21:29 UTC
first time i´ve seen it, i was like "wow, nice", after a few jumps it went from "wow" to "meh, wanna turn it off".

i´m not jumping on the "i gonna cancel mah subs" train, but if a game or a part of a game starts annoying me, i will stop playing it automatically.

\:D

Wodanaz
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#178 - 2013-06-06 00:43:45 UTC
What is it with ccp they hardly did anything in this expansion.. No content just skin changes,ship stats and skills, awful probing system, a crappy minigame and a gate effect that looks like crap what the hell do ccp do with all there time? the stuff they changed if done right could of just been hot fixed into the game not classified as an expansion what a joke!
Armtoe
Arton Yachting and Angling Club
Domain Research and Mining Inst.
#179 - 2013-06-06 01:02:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Armtoe
+1 for some way to turn off the new jump animation - I've seen it once and its old already - adds nothing to the game; is distracting; and lag inducing. Is it too ealier to say that this is the worst, most useless expansion since WIS?

Edit - apart for tags for sec - that part is ok by mePirate
Maraner
The Executioners
#180 - 2013-06-06 01:16:41 UTC
I kind of like it, certainly beats what we had before.

But I must admit I find it fatigue inducing after a while added to that I was starting to feel a bit of nausea as well. Can we turn of the swinging camera at the beginning of the jump animation?

Oh and undock button on the neo comm pls.