These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

New dev blog: Ship-troduction: The Minmatar Tornado

First post First post
Author
Commander Grace
That Hole Over There
Seriously Suspicious
#401 - 2011-10-24 11:43:17 UTC
How about that dev blog?

need moar details... liek naow!!
Jose Black
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#402 - 2011-10-24 12:10:23 UTC
Suicide ganking buff anyone?
Joshke
Dark Space Fleet
#403 - 2011-10-24 12:10:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Joshke
Everybody so excited about large guns ? What about your tank, think how long you can stay against 2x Thrashers, which pop you puppy in seconds. And how your lovely large guns will be missing at any smaller target.
TheButcherPete
Thunderwaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#404 - 2011-10-24 12:35:54 UTC
Xython wrote:
Mekhana wrote:
CCP please make the Gallente ship of this new BC line worth flying. We really need some love.


Not emptyquoting, just bringing this back up. Please, for the love of pete, make the Gallente one not suck. Our standard BC is worse in literally every way to the Minmatar BC.



I'm Pete :D
Hybrid/Drone beast Gallente ftw


Also Xython, I love you too.

[b]THE KING OF EVE RADIO

If EVE is real, does that mean all of us are RMTrs?[/b]

Knug LiDi
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#405 - 2011-10-24 14:32:59 UTC
Traiori wrote:
Long story short: All those C1 POS towers that we couldn't get battleships to are going down this winter...


guess getting t2 cruisers or t3 cruisers was too hard ?

If only we could fall into a woman's arms

without falling into her hands

Kaaletram Lothyrawir
Trust Brothers LLC.
The Veyr Collective
#406 - 2011-10-24 14:35:19 UTC
Wow just what the Gallente need is another glass cannon Roll
Pinky Denmark
The Cursed Navy
#407 - 2011-10-24 15:21:53 UTC
This would be epic if ships like the Hurricane didn't already outdamage certain battleships while still tracking small ships without any trouble...

Pinky
Tanya Powers
Doomheim
#408 - 2011-10-24 17:26:50 UTC
Kaaletram Lothyrawir wrote:
Wow just what the Gallente need is another glass cannon Roll


Another FAIL glass canon you mean? -no thx, give another drone boat instead for all those afk youp_orn lovers, I'll keep training up minmatar for pvp and caldari for pve, since it opens new optiosn for pirate ships finally why do I even bother all assaults are plain ****, or cruisers terribad, bs's pure crap?
I can fly the most overpowered ships in the game, shouldn't even bother with this gallente "Tiers 3 BC" and what he's capable of (not being close to what another race can offer)

Devblog? = Words
I want actions not words, already tired of those.
Lucjan
Deutzer Freiheit
#409 - 2011-10-24 17:54:05 UTC
T2 Myrmidon finally yes?
Phantomania
Lonely Trek
#410 - 2011-10-24 18:23:52 UTC
Well, I'm happy that CCP is adding some "NEW" and "USABLE" Ships, its been years.

TBH, most of the different ship configurations are already ingame and I'm glad something else "UNIQUE" is being added.

I'm sure that once they are here, someone will find the perfect use and fit for them.

Always good to have more "CHOICE"!

@ All the "HATERS", give them a chance, we don't even know the slots or bonus's yet! Roll


Well, thats my 5 ISKs worth, all I need now is a date for the winter expansion!


THX CCP!!!!!

Big smile
Imryn Xaran
Coherent Light Enterprises
#411 - 2011-10-24 18:33:25 UTC
I guess somebody at CCP finally got around to actually looking up the word "Battlecruiser". Now all they need to do is re-classify the old style BC's as "Heavy Cruisers" and we will have some sense.

As for the new ships - I don't know if I like the idea or not. BS sized weapons is fine, but I hope to see them with limited tanking capability (T1 BC levels at best), a decent turn of speed (but slower than a Cruiser or HAC) and poor agility due to their size.

Ultimately, I don't know what niche they are expected to fulfill. LR sniper maybe, but there are HAC's and BS that already do that, and do it with more versatility and survivability (I expect). L4 mission runner? Not unless they have a much bigger tank than I expect them to have.

Most of the roles that BC's had in the real world just don't translate into EVE, so that just leaves commerce raiding. If CCP are giving us a new ship that is only really good as a cheap disposable High Sec ganking tool I am going to be pi**ed.

Like it or not the majority of EVE players live in High Sec, and making life more difficult for them is not going to persuade them to move to Low or Null. The perception that I have of Low and Null is that it suits just two types of players - The no lifers who are able to spend 8 hours a day or more in-game, and pvp'ers who are happy to log on and spend an hour or two looking for randoms to kill. People who have limited time, and want to build stuff, or trade stuff, or explore stuff will generally end up doing it in High Sec because it is casual friendly. Making it less casual friendly will just cause them to stop logging on, and ultimately to stop paying their subs.

I fear that now that CCP have promised to concentrate on "Ships in Space", and promised us new ships, they have scrambled around to find something they can deliver quickly rather than put in the work to deliver us the stuff like T3 frigates that they have been talking about for so long. I would rather they took the time to do it right, rather than do it quick, and I hope they have been very carefull when planning the roles and uses these new hulls can be put to once the many many ingenious and devious Bas*ards in this game get their hands on them.
Phantomania
Lonely Trek
#412 - 2011-10-24 19:25:11 UTC
Imryn Xaran wrote:
I guess somebody at CCP finally got around to actually looking up the word "Battlecruiser". Now all they need to do is re-classify the old style BC's as "Heavy Cruisers" and we will have some sense.

As for the new ships - I don't know if I like the idea or not. BS sized weapons is fine, but I hope to see them with limited tanking capability (T1 BC levels at best), a decent turn of speed (but slower than a Cruiser or HAC) and poor agility due to their size.

Ultimately, I don't know what niche they are expected to fulfill. LR sniper maybe, but there are HAC's and BS that already do that, and do it with more versatility and survivability (I expect). L4 mission runner? Not unless they have a much bigger tank than I expect them to have.

Most of the roles that BC's had in the real world just don't translate into EVE, so that just leaves commerce raiding. If CCP are giving us a new ship that is only really good as a cheap disposable High Sec ganking tool I am going to be pi**ed.

Like it or not the majority of EVE players live in High Sec, and making life more difficult for them is not going to persuade them to move to Low or Null. The perception that I have of Low and Null is that it suits just two types of players - The no lifers who are able to spend 8 hours a day or more in-game, and pvp'ers who are happy to log on and spend an hour or two looking for randoms to kill. People who have limited time, and want to build stuff, or trade stuff, or explore stuff will generally end up doing it in High Sec because it is casual friendly. Making it less casual friendly will just cause them to stop logging on, and ultimately to stop paying their subs.

I fear that now that CCP have promised to concentrate on "Ships in Space", and promised us new ships, they have scrambled around to find something they can deliver quickly rather than put in the work to deliver us the stuff like T3 frigates that they have been talking about for so long. I would rather they took the time to do it right, rather than do it quick, and I hope they have been very carefull when planning the roles and uses these new hulls can be put to once the many many ingenious and devious Bas*ards in this game get their hands on them.





Amazing! Most of your post is based on an assumption of ships that we don't even know the layout of!

Another CCP Conspiracy to get us all into Low/Null Sec!!!! Whatever!!!! Roll
Sai Phone'kopai
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#413 - 2011-10-24 19:29:09 UTC

Actually there's a very straight-forward solution to all this new-ship & re-balance discussion (in my opinion) ...

Tier-1 = all purpose with some variation across hulls, i.e. light cruiser with low-end medium weapons and heavy cruiser with high-end weapons

Tier-2 = specialized roles, i.e. only 2 of 5 hulls can do EW (using stealth bomber pattern - it just won't fit that hull) and only a different 2 or 5 can do recon, etc.

Tier-3 = hunter/killer - tornado is an example

Tech-2 = a BIG increase in capability (same pattern as Tech-1) with a corresponding big increase in cost and training

Tech-3 = ditto with a HUGH increase in capability, cost, and training (making them even rarer) - you want to fly that Tengu, train 6 months for it - of course it can be countered with a big enough group of Tech-1 & Tech-2 Tier-3 ships

difficult to implement you say? not really if you're going to be radical - employ the training points schema already used - everyone looses all combat training skills in all ship but gains a massive amount of immediate affect training points

net result = all hulls meaningfully re-balanced and all pilots able to train specifically desired skills while making 'exotic' ships really rare and expensive - that's how you break the current null/low/gank vs high/mission patterns - that's how you make ROLE PLAYING ships in space
Imryn Xaran
Coherent Light Enterprises
#414 - 2011-10-24 20:01:05 UTC
Phantomania wrote:
Imryn Xaran wrote:
Stuff...


Amazing! Most of your post is based on an assumption of ships that we don't even know the layout of!

Another CCP Conspiracy to get us all into Low/Null Sec!!!! Whatever!!!! Roll


Hey, who knew? When I kept saying stuff like "I expect..." I was actually making "assumptions". Wow, my vocabulary just got bigger.

Of course I was making assumptions, and I was being pretty clear what they were too (or so I thought). I thought this thread was where we could come to speculate on what sort of capabilities these new ships might have - my mistake. I didn't realise that we were supposed to stfu and sit quietly untill CCP decided to spoon feed us a few more details.

Oh, and fyi for there to be a "Conspiracy" (your cap) there has to be some secrecy - CCP have clearly stated that they want to move players out of High and into Low and Null.
Imryn Xaran
Coherent Light Enterprises
#415 - 2011-10-24 20:01:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Imryn Xaran
Stupid forums and their "We Were ganked" message. :(
Tashanaka
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#416 - 2011-10-24 21:04:22 UTC
Jill Antaris wrote:
Will wait for the stats, slot layouts and bonuses before judging. However I can't see this concept work outside minmatar ships, where a hull that does this already exist.

Oh and the gallente one should look like this: AquilonBig smile, the Mentor was a very cool design for amarr even if it actually looked more like a drone carrier.


I loved the look of the Aquilon too, I hope they do use it for the Gallente version. Hopefully the Hybrid & Blaster fix will bring the Brutix model hulls out of retirement,

Dray
Hun-Select
#417 - 2011-10-24 22:02:34 UTC
Charles37 wrote:
Will this be a Tech 2 BC (i.e. require BC V)? Any other skill prereqs that we will need to train as well? Or is this information being saved for another dev blog?


"Tier 3" so probably racial cruiser 3/4 and battle cruiser 3.
Alpheias
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#418 - 2011-10-24 22:09:52 UTC
Today's forecast has MOTHERFUCKING TORNADOES! \o/

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Cordo Draken
ABOS Industrial Enterprises
#419 - 2011-10-24 22:39:38 UTC
I have to admit... I began to salivate the moment I read the headline. New BCs! BCs with BS guns! Shocked A clip from a beloved Movie in reference to the new ships badassness! The pool of drool had made my chair look like a wet-dream accident by the time I finished reading. Awesome CCP!!! \o/

Whomever said, "You only get one shot to make a good impression," was utterly wrong. I've made plenty of great impressions with my Autocannons 

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#420 - 2011-10-24 23:05:05 UTC
Maybe the Gallente one will still be medium guns, but have a Dominix sized drone bay. Five sentries or five heavies from a BC.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction