These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Unscheduled downtime - Friday, May 31st, 2013

First post First post
Author
Chip Assaultshakr
Ministry of Bureaucracy
#81 - 2013-05-31 12:14:27 UTC
online join 2 players!
CCP Falcon
#82 - 2013-05-31 12:14:57 UTC
Sir Charge wrote:
How does One get a VIP Status? Ugh

VIP status is used so that we can log in developer accounts for testing during times like this, without opening the server to outside connections.

Right now, Tranquility is back online and we're monitoring the situation.

OP updated Smile

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Khorisha Achat
Khanid Commodities
#83 - 2013-05-31 12:15:22 UTC
Tetrazone Primus wrote:
Sir Charge wrote:

Sleep with a DEV Twisted

Can I choose which one?
captain Atruin
Legion Ascending
Gentlemen's.Club
#84 - 2013-05-31 12:15:58 UTC
can we all get free sp for wasting are time ???
isk4trade
Cogitation Mining and Industrial Trading
#85 - 2013-05-31 12:16:10 UTC
I am in !

Chip Assaultshakr
Ministry of Bureaucracy
#86 - 2013-05-31 12:16:53 UTC
well it let me log in. fly safe ladies hopefully won't see u in forums until june 4th
Steijn
Quay Industries
#87 - 2013-05-31 12:16:58 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
Steijn wrote:
Why did u bring TQ up 15 minutes early when this problem has existed for at least 2 hours? This should have been looked at during the scheduled DT.

Derp - the problem probably didn't exist until they brought the servers up after downtime.

Any more sage advice for people that already know how to do their jobs better than you?

I would check your facts before you start making comments that are false. There were numerous dcs, socket closures, occurences of lag etc. etc since 0900 at least.
Greedseed Altol
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#88 - 2013-05-31 12:17:03 UTC
captain Atruin wrote:
can we all get free sp for wasting are time ???

whaaaw, more begging for a bit of downtime! xD
Sera Ishtal
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#89 - 2013-05-31 12:17:07 UTC
I had dc issues most of yesterday and this morning, did some tracert's and it was dropping on a dns in london (from netherlands) and in ccp's end. Mind you I am no network genius nor do I know how to desypher tracers very well, I am simply making a blind guess. I hope this is the issue they are addressing :)
Angelilia Shirly
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2013-05-31 12:18:27 UTC
My launcher doesn't work.

http://i.imgur.com/kFwb8u7.png

Poegeryn
Black Wormholes of Apocrypha
TOGETHER WE STAND
#91 - 2013-05-31 12:18:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Poegeryn
CCP Falcon wrote:
UPDATE - 11:45 UTC - Tranquility Offline

Problems started much earlier, as seen in other threads
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=241866&find=unread
Green Sur
Skyes Augmented Shipping Horizons
#92 - 2013-05-31 12:19:54 UTC
I can see most of you have not played Star Trek Online. The down time on here compared to there is nothing. On this game you do no have the lag or the emergency maintenance that they do. It is like every other day. Also when the server goes down over here you know that the problem is going to get fixed. On Star Trek Online they just make things worse. They add content without fixing the problems they already had so this new content adds even more problems. I am glad that these people take pride in making a great game for us to play.
Tracy Panavia
The Green Machine
That Escalated Quickly.
#93 - 2013-05-31 12:20:43 UTC
CCP Fail Skills LEVEL 5

Downtime Diligence (x6)
670,000/1,285,000 0d 0h 30m 0s

Bear
NinjaStyle
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#94 - 2013-05-31 12:21:09 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Sir Charge wrote:

VIP status is used so that we can log in developer accounts for testing during times like this, without opening the server to outside connections.

Right now, Tranquility is back online and we're monitoring the situation.

OP updated Smile

This server down was it because of the massive connection problems people had?
Corbin Cummings
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#95 - 2013-05-31 12:21:18 UTC
Thanks for letting us know what was going on!! A link right in the launcher very cool :) !!!!!
Jed Clampett
Doomheim
#96 - 2013-05-31 12:22:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Jed Clampett
Yeah could be physical networking problem at CCP gateway or load balancing router but...

I wonder if maybe they didn't quite know what they were doing with SSO (Single Sign On) and through the miracle of HTML exposed some of the logon stuff in a less than secure way.

Used to be the rule of thumb for high risk systems was to keep all the domain logon security behind firewall and only really let logon in hands of domain servers and special purpose (limited functionality) web to domain logon server.

But there were easier/more flexible ways to go direct through web servers if you wanted to gamble that your web servers were 100% perfectly secure. And if you were a real target it usually only took a few days to find out that they weren't as secure as you thought...especially if content qnd function changed often.

But I am so terribly out of date I have no more than vague idea how its done securely or commonly (not always the same thing) nowadays.

I wonder about the web server and SSO side of thing because lately when EVE has disconnects -- I also tend to see a few SYN and ACK attacks on my router and EVE ports. As if some program monitoring traffic in the middle was attacking in both directions.
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#97 - 2013-05-31 12:22:49 UTC
Steijn wrote:
War Kitten wrote:
Steijn wrote:
Why did u bring TQ up 15 minutes early when this problem has existed for at least 2 hours? This should have been looked at during the scheduled DT.

Derp - the problem probably didn't exist until they brought the servers up after downtime.

Any more sage advice for people that already know how to do their jobs better than you?

I would check your facts before you start making comments that are false. There were numerous dcs, socket closures, occurences of lag etc. etc since 0900 at least.

Apologies for calling you out - I did just say "probably" though. The servers worked just fine for me up to downtime, so my POV was different from yours.

I still say CCP knows how to run their servers better than the "experts" in the forums though. If they shut down the servers, no one can connect, and they can't trace unknown connection problems then, can they?

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Orka Hudziy
Tax Avoid 4 EVER
#98 - 2013-05-31 12:23:59 UTC
Cant understand why i can't see any of free SP to allocate?!
Angelilia Shirly
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#99 - 2013-05-31 12:24:00 UTC
Angelilia Shirly wrote:
My launcher doesn't work.

http://i.imgur.com/kFwb8u7.png

Skipping the launcher doesn't work either.
fokotas
S.A United
#100 - 2013-05-31 12:26:16 UTC
all seems good