These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123
 

Odyssey - auto probe recall is for softies

First post
Author
Minmatar Citizen160812
The LGBT Last Supper
#41 - 2013-05-28 19:46:38 UTC
I couldn't care less if goofs loose probes or not...

I left them out for a reason. If I'm camping a system with probes out and feel like docking for a moment to take a leak or whatever now my probes get pulled and whoever I was camping knows I docked. That's the bullshit part. Just stay cloaked you say? yeah...I've DCed enough to know that's not the best idea if you'll be afk dropping a deuce for awhile or got called for a honey-do.

What if I don't want to pull them because the guy has typed "ohhh porbes for lil old me" in local and is waiting for them to get pulled for the sign to GTFO? Now he gets that and I can't do anything about it short of getting more people involved which +1s local ...which is another sign for him to bug out.

That's just two reasons and I don't feel like making a text wall. In short this needs an option to auto-recall or leave it out.
Rebecha Pucontis
Doomheim
#42 - 2013-05-28 19:52:16 UTC
The thing that bugs me the most is the fact that probes have a warp speed which affects how fast they can fly around a system. This speed can make a difference when scanning large systems, and also can be improved by more advanced probes. But this auto recall thing is a complete middle finger to consistency. It just makes no sense for probes to instantly appear in your cargo. It is similar to drones instantly appearing in your drone bay when they are 50km out.
B0XzZ
Pulse Heavy Industries
#43 - 2013-05-28 21:03:13 UTC
EVE is EVE because of its complexity and its unforgiving nature. please be careful CCP.
Zen Dad
Solitary Sad Bastard In Space
#44 - 2013-05-28 22:33:44 UTC
GreenSeed wrote:
Liafcipe9000 wrote:
10 / 10

EVE does not need this much easy mode.

are you serious? auto recalling probes makes the game "easy"?

you are weird.

Jack Miton wrote:
+1
It's also terrible in WHs where people will often leave probes out to check where a WH goes and then reconnect when they jump back.


see, this is a good point. instead of claiming that the game is now somehow "easier" miton is pointing out a loss of functionality due to this change.


same thing happened with the probe changes, people complained that the game was being made somehow "easier" and among all the tears a very real complaint about how now Combat probes couldn't be split into two groups of 4 to watch 2 gates got buried. What?


If you read my (OP) second point please and then keep training childish name calling to level 2

The point is that making something 'simpler' for forgetful people is going to have a negative effect on PVP ( if you know what that is )
Zen Dad
Solitary Sad Bastard In Space
#45 - 2013-05-28 22:36:37 UTC
Mara Villoso wrote:
Zen Dad wrote:
waaaah. In the old days life was hard, so it should be hard for everyone, forever. We should also get rid of warp to zero. We should go back to courier contracts that only hold 120k m3. I once got DD'd with the old style AoE, bring that back too. Horses. Definitely bring back horses. And buggies. Also, telegraphs. We should all play EVE via telegraph. Waaah, change and progress make me cranky and confused.




? Your carer has left you alone too long.
Zen Dad
Solitary Sad Bastard In Space
#46 - 2013-05-28 22:42:57 UTC
Rebecha Pucontis wrote:
Auto recall probes in general is just a stupid idea with little thought put into it which is indicative of a lot of these scanning changes. Its a shame because there are some good steps forward in the right direction, but then a couple more steps backwards.

Why do probes instantly recall when jumping from system to system, but when you recall and deploy probes normally they take a few seconds to warp to the desired location. Surely the confirmation box we currently have is enough of a warning.

I'm starting to feel seriously annoyed when I think of how much things are being dumbed down here. People who forget to recall probes when jumping system deserve to be ridiculed and laughed at and then they wont do it again, not given an easy mode by CCP so they don't get their poor little princess sunflower feelings hurt. CCP seriously what are you doing here?!


Its also actually a lot of fun to watch people ( including myself) sheepishly creep back into a system to quielty retrieve the said forgotten probes Lol
Zen Dad
Solitary Sad Bastard In Space
#47 - 2013-05-28 22:44:35 UTC
ISD Tyrozan wrote:
Post with a degree of profanity that made it unreadable after deleting the profanity has been deleted.


Hey - as the OP do I get to take a peek ?
GreenSeed
#48 - 2013-05-28 22:57:32 UTC
Zen Dad wrote:
GreenSeed wrote:
Liafcipe9000 wrote:
10 / 10

EVE does not need this much easy mode.

are you serious? auto recalling probes makes the game "easy"?

you are weird.

Jack Miton wrote:
+1
It's also terrible in WHs where people will often leave probes out to check where a WH goes and then reconnect when they jump back.


see, this is a good point. instead of claiming that the game is now somehow "easier" miton is pointing out a loss of functionality due to this change.


same thing happened with the probe changes, people complained that the game was being made somehow "easier" and among all the tears a very real complaint about how now Combat probes couldn't be split into two groups of 4 to watch 2 gates got buried. What?


If you read my (OP) second point please and then keep training childish name calling to level 2

The point is that making something 'simpler' for forgetful people is going to have a negative effect on PVP ( if you know what that is )


are you seriously suggesting that not being able to "forget" your probes out will break pvp in a more noticeable way than not being able to probe 2 gates to keep an eye on transit? or having combat probes on one spot while keeping 2 as a remote dscan?

the argument of "it makes the game easier" is just plain dumb, specially when compared to losing functionalities like splitting probe groups or leaving probes out intentionally to reconnect later, o to reship momentarily.

ergo, you OP is dumb. it simply bloats up the feedback with noise and pointless complaints, instead of allowing real issues to be presented.

Zen Dad
Solitary Sad Bastard In Space
#49 - 2013-05-28 22:59:56 UTC
Darth Kilth wrote:
I bet the OP is also complaing that Tengu's can no longer enter low level DED complexes.
It's horrible that Newbies get a bit more of a chance and some help right?


Did you forget to read the post properly?

Being reminded of your absent mindedness is a good discipline. Removing the chance of 'forgetting' is not helping a newbie develop at all.

But please read OP point 2. - there is a downside to PVP tactics if this goes through without revision.

Please note that I requested an override button - I don't want to stop newbies being helped, although this auto recall is too soft and cuddly - IMO.



Kaaii
Kaaii-Net Research Labs
#50 - 2013-05-28 23:02:12 UTC


WTS - All my probe bpos...... Straight

Zen Dad
Solitary Sad Bastard In Space
#51 - 2013-05-29 00:14:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Zen Dad
GreenSeed wrote:
Zen Dad wrote:
GreenSeed wrote:
Liafcipe9000 wrote:
10 / 10

EVE does not need this much easy mode.

are you serious? auto recalling probes makes the game "easy"?

you are weird.

Jack Miton wrote:
+1
It's also terrible in WHs where people will often leave probes out to check where a WH goes and then reconnect when they jump back.


see, this is a good point. instead of claiming that the game is now somehow "easier" miton is pointing out a loss of functionality due to this change.


same thing happened with the probe changes, people complained that the game was being made somehow "easier" and among all the tears a very real complaint about how now Combat probes couldn't be split into two groups of 4 to watch 2 gates got buried. What?


If you read my (OP) second point please and then keep training childish name calling to level 2

The point is that making something 'simpler' for forgetful people is going to have a negative effect on PVP ( if you know what that is )


are you seriously suggesting that not being able to "forget" your probes out will break pvp in a more noticeable way than not being able to probe 2 gates to keep an eye on transit? or having combat probes on one spot while keeping 2 as a remote dscan?

the argument of "it makes the game easier" is just plain dumb, specially when compared to losing functionalities like splitting probe groups or leaving probes out intentionally to reconnect later, o to reship momentarily.

ergo, you OP is dumb. it simply bloats up the feedback with noise and pointless complaints, instead of allowing real issues to be presented.



Look - plain and simple

Forgetting your cap charges or ammo is dumb

Forgetting to take your cargo with you is dumb

Selecting a killer ship in station but forgetting to 'make active' is very dumb as you tend to undock in your pod

I do these dumb things because i don't concentrate and forget the basics. - not because the mechanics are too difficult.

Im broken - not the game ! .

Auto probe recall is a bit too nannying for me BUT thats just my opinion.

The PROBLEM with auto probe recall is that there are pvp situations where it is advantageous to keep them out whilst you dock up or leave local

Saving players blushes (and stunting their development) shouldn't nerf another part of the game

So respectfully i requested an override button

Not a big ask.
Untanas Volmyr
Perkone
Caldari State
#52 - 2013-05-29 00:17:00 UTC
Will this feature be toggligable?

Murphy's Technology Law - If your not thoroughly confused. Then you were not thoroughly informed.

bbb2020
Carebears with Attitude
#53 - 2013-05-29 00:20:13 UTC  |  Edited by: bbb2020
One would think that living 23k into the future would have given man a technology understanding so great, that man could built probes that would implement some form of AI that would make the probes return to the ship, should the ship captain forget said probes.

Edit: Think there should be a way of disabling this auto recovery though, for reasons other have put forth..

I think it is an okay implementation as such but I guess a lot of players building probes for sale will hate it.

If you hold down "shift" you can manipulate 1 probe at a time, so you can actually split your probes into two stacks to cover two gates if you want.

Why I don't like, is that you always have to launch 8 probes, even if you only need 4 to cover said gates. And 8 probes for a scan? I could scan down a wormhole using only 5 probes before but now I have to carry 8 in my cargo or it won't work.

I don't like this new probing system either; not because its to easy or because its bumping down the game, but because its not flexible enough. There is no room to make it work the way you want to use it. In that regard the old system was way way better.
Rebecha Pucontis
Doomheim
#54 - 2013-05-29 00:43:03 UTC
Rebecha Pucontis wrote:
The thing that bugs me the most is the fact that probes have a warp speed which affects how fast they can fly around a system. This speed can make a difference when scanning large systems, and also can be improved by more advanced probes. But this auto recall thing is a complete middle finger to consistency. It just makes no sense for probes to instantly appear in your cargo. It is similar to drones instantly appearing in your drone bay when they are 50km out.

I just want to requote this again as people seemed to have missed this glaring anomaly, or has all logic completely gone out the window now. This kind of thing is really immersion breaking. Either make probes appear instantly in all situations, or make probes have to warp in all situations. This is pretty basic stuff for a game meant to be based upon science fiction.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#55 - 2013-05-29 01:10:44 UTC
Rebecha Pucontis wrote:
This is pretty basic stuff for a game meant to be based upon science fiction.


Yo, Rebecha, Imma let you finish, but ICP has the best answer of all time...of all time!

******* probes, how do they work?

Magic everywhere in this *****, ******* rainbows.
Rebecha Pucontis
Doomheim
#56 - 2013-05-29 02:02:45 UTC
Domanique Altares wrote:
Rebecha Pucontis wrote:
This is pretty basic stuff for a game meant to be based upon science fiction.


Yo, Rebecha, Imma let you finish, but ICP has the best answer of all time...of all time!

******* probes, how do they work?

Magic everywhere in this *****, ******* rainbows.

Lol :)
Previous page123