These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

WTF OMG SO MANY OFF GRID BOOSTAS

Author
Damsel in Distress
The Scope
#81 - 2013-06-02 00:25:05 UTC
My corp hasn't seen me log in in months due to OGB. Someone wake me up when they're gone.
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#82 - 2013-06-02 07:02:09 UTC
"By letting be buy a reward I can always benefit from and never have to risk losing, I can finally compete against those people better at the game than me!
I think it's great they removed risk vs reward... it's been the best thing to happen to my guild"

I can't wait to see what "mechanic" / "gameplay" is introduced when CCP decides it needs everyone to have three accounts per player.

And it will happen, or something along those lines, it's just a matter of time.

Why do you think we threw such a **** storm when they tried their "brave" aurum gold ammo crap?
Because once they start milking you for cash to compete beyond your initial subscription.. it's all down pay-to-win hill from there.

Once OGB really took off, most of us expected they'd fix it.
Now they say
"oh, well actually we need to recode half the game to fix this because of techtalk"....
I'm sure they'll get right on that. You won't just get another excuse 2 years from now followed with
"oops, oh well, sorry, guess that mandatory 2nd account stuff is here to stay... did I mention we have another POWER OF TWO sale this week??? Please click my apology to be linked to the 'give us money' window.

Players that want to pay to win will,
the players that don't won't compete and will leave.
And the company won't care because they'll still be making money.

But how?!?!
Because while they lose some players not willing to shell out the cash, the ones willing to pay to win will (usually) pay enough to cover 3 or more of the previous frugal customers.
At least this is what microtransaction research would indicate.

So in the end the company will make more money.
However the game/gameplay ultimately pays the price as what players will get in the end is a sandbox replaced with a cat litter box.

"No seriously guys, everyone has a third account for system cobobulationsings. Quit being a scrub. I have 6 accounts so I can get the full bonus, most my friends do. It doesn't need changed, you're just too poor to compete with the serious players. Working as intended."
Merdaneth
Angel Wing.
Khimi Harar
#83 - 2013-06-02 08:27:35 UTC
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:
week??? Please click my apology to be linked to the 'give us money' window.[/i]

Players that want to pay to win will,
the players that don't won't compete and will leave.
And the company won't care because they'll still be making money.

But how?!?!
Because while they lose some players not willing to shell out the cash, the ones willing to pay to win will (usually) pay enough to cover 3 or more of the previous frugal customers.
At least this is what microtransaction research would indicate.

Well, if that is true, it is still stupid of CCP to let OGB's stay at this risk/reward level. Why, you ask?

Before players had to pay for a Snake set, a Halo set and faction tackle mods achieve the same effect, and they would lose these more often, thus costing more and requiring more plex than the 1/month.

This is besides the scouting/Falcon alt these players were already paying for. Now they simply have an OGB on that character slot.

A lot of players that were still doubting to get a second account, can now benefit from their OGB alt that sits in a POS in-system and don't need to get their won, again reducing CCP proft.

In short, even if what you say is true (which I think it isn't) *it still doesn't make good business sense for CCP to allow OGB's at their current risk/reward level*
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#84 - 2013-06-02 09:26:36 UTC
Merdaneth wrote:

Well, if that is true, it is still stupid of CCP to let OGB's stay at this risk/reward level. Why, you ask?

Before players had to pay for a Snake set, a Halo set and faction tackle mods achieve the same effect, and they would lose these more often, thus costing more and requiring more plex than the 1/month.

This is besides the scouting/Falcon alt these players were already paying for. Now they simply have an OGB on that character slot.

A lot of players that were still doubting to get a second account, can now benefit from their OGB alt that sits in a POS in-system and don't need to get their won, again reducing CCP proft.

In short, even if what you say is true (which I think it isn't) *it still doesn't make good business sense for CCP to allow OGB's at their current risk/reward level*

Well it only makes business sense if the numbers work.
If more people are willing to buy 2nd accounts than people that leave over OGB, it will.
If not, it won't.

As everyone has already become accustomed to the power of two being ok for matters of convenience and alternate game-play options, it's become easier to accept second accounts that establish a pay-to-win scenario.

As people are starting to see them prevalent to the point solo players are using them just like falcon alts (but without the vulnerability of needing to warp into the situation where the advantage is being applied.) They've figured out the ruse. But since they were eased into it I doubt you'll see the sharp reaction and mass unsubs like you might with something as blatent as GOLD +150 AMMO

Only time will tell which survives, but do remember that what is best for the game mechanics has nothing to do with popularity or profit forecasts. Just because OGB is terrible for the game doesn't mean it's going anywhere.

In fact, it a logical conclusion that the problem may very well get worse should the company feel it's enough of a success that it warrants upping the ante again.

Merdaneth
Angel Wing.
Khimi Harar
#85 - 2013-06-02 10:08:41 UTC
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:
[quote=Merdaneth]
As people are starting to see them prevalent to the point solo players are using them just like falcon alts (but without the vulnerability of needing to warp into the situation where the advantage is being applied.) They've figured out the ruse. But since they were eased into it I doubt you'll see the sharp reaction and mass unsubs like you might with something as blatent as GOLD +150 AMMO

Any equivalent of gold ammo makes more business sense though, since ammo actually gets expended. OGB's do not (or at least rarely). It is bad both from a gameplay perspective and as a business model.

But, I doubt CCP intended OGBs to drive a second-account business model. And if they did, they would make OGBs only boost one other ship. That would make more sense.

OGBs are simply a game-design oops.
Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#86 - 2013-06-02 10:16:04 UTC
Merdaneth wrote:

Any equivalent of gold ammo makes more business sense though, since ammo actually gets expended. OGB's do not (or at least rarely). It is bad both from a gameplay perspective and as a business model.

But, I doubt CCP intended OGBs to drive a second-account business model. And if they did, they would make OGBs only boost one other ship. That would make more sense.

No one says unintended consequences can't be capitalized on.

I'm sure once CCP realized OGB were driving second account purchases beyond expectations, no one stood up in the room and said "we gotta stop this, we're making more money on accident!"
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#87 - 2013-06-02 11:33:53 UTC
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:
Merdaneth wrote:

No one says unintended consequences can't be capitalized on.

I'm sure once CCP realized OGB were driving second account purchases beyond expectations, no one stood up in the room and said "we gotta stop this, we're making more money on accident!"

They aren't really

****** gameplay stunts the growth of the game. They would make more money in the long run with improving the gameplay.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#88 - 2013-06-02 11:56:59 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

****** gameplay stunts the growth of the game. They would make more money in the long run with improving the gameplay.

I agree. The question is, will they?
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#89 - 2013-06-02 12:00:37 UTC
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

Yes because otherwise i will start hanging on Fozzies leg during fanfest/player meets

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Pr1ncess Alia
Doomheim
#90 - 2013-06-02 12:46:17 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Pr1ncess Alia wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:

Yes because otherwise i will start hanging on Fozzies leg during fanfest/player meets

Bite it. Like a dog.

Human mouths are disgusting. Perhaps a leg infection will show them we mean business. Pirate
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#91 - 2013-06-03 14:01:59 UTC
Not only are ogbs horrible in themselves. But it makes roaming less fun. You see the same people in the same clusters and they never leave because they don't want to leave their boosters.

Fewer people pass through different sytems because they might assume people have boosters and they are just throwing their ships away. I don't think that assumption is correct, but when I consistently see more t3s on dscan than combat ships I can see why people will make this assumption.

End result is less variety of pilots in low sec space.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Manuel Skir
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#92 - 2013-06-03 19:11:22 UTC
As a WH guy, I log in and I just think, " Look at all these people without combat probes."
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#93 - 2013-06-03 23:13:53 UTC
Manuel Skir wrote:
As a WH guy, I log in and I just think, " Look at all these people without combat probes."

+1

As a booster user i fully support the suggestion that boosts should not work inside pos shields. Perhaps even make them easier to scan. Though i dont really see why a highly trained booster would need anything less than a highly trained prober to counter it.
Pipernelli Spacemitt
Doomheim
#94 - 2013-06-03 23:46:13 UTC
So the solution to faggots having booster alts is for everyone to go get a mandatory probing alt?

No thanks.
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#95 - 2013-06-04 00:01:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
Pipernelli Spacemitt wrote:
So the solution to faggots having booster alts is for everyone to go get a mandatory probing alt?

No thanks.

The solution to someone having something you dont is to complain about it until they remove boosters?, titans?, supercaps?, pirate implants?, drugs? afk cloakers? etc.

Personally, i just fought a kitsune, vengeance, slicer and merlin with my algos. Have a guess if i wouldve fought if i didnt have boosts (rhetorical).

After that i fought 11 assorted frigates and destroyers with the same algos. Have a guess if i wouldve fought if i didnt have boosts (rhetorical).

IMO boosters increase pvp levels for everyone apart from the scrubs who only post with alts of forums and others who barely pvp at all.
Lucius Regall
CTRL-Q
Ushra'Khan
#96 - 2013-06-04 01:52:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucius Regall
I'd rather my enemies' alt fly an OGB than a cloaking Falcon or logi.
Colt Blackhawk
Doomheim
#97 - 2013-06-04 08:15:41 UTC
Lucius Regall wrote:

I would always prefer the falcon idiot.
1.) He will be on km. Ogb isn´t.
2.) Falcon idiot can´t enter novice and small plexes :D

[09:04:53] Ashira Twilight > Plant the f****** amarr flag and s*** on their smoking wrecks.

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#98 - 2013-06-04 14:28:46 UTC
Manuel Skir wrote:

Generally speaking in low sec, most of our fights are not going to be against structures. So spending the fittings necessary to fit combat probes on our ships will hurt our chances of winning the fight.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Lucius Regall
CTRL-Q
Ushra'Khan
#99 - 2013-06-04 15:55:39 UTC
Colt Blackhawk wrote:
Lucius Regall wrote:

The falcon example was just the most obnoxious form of ECM. Replace it with cloaking griffin to cover the novices and smalls.
Let's go through a few sceneriones:

You warp into a novice to engage a hostile. He scram/webs you and griffin uncloaks. Chance of survival? Almost none.

You are in a novice and a hostile warps in. He engages you and you suddenly notice t1 throw away logi on D-scan, who is soon into your plex as well. Chance of survival? Almost none.

You warp into a hostile that has an OGB booster. Chance of survival? If you are a skilled pilot who does research on his foe and knows how to counter fit, your chances of survival are actually pretty good.

In the end it all comes down to a simple mathematical truth: 2 > 1. Two accounts have an advantage over one account. My advice is simply this: be careful what you wish for.
Colt Blackhawk
Doomheim
#100 - 2013-06-04 16:20:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Colt Blackhawk
Lucius Regall wrote:
Colt Blackhawk wrote:
Lucius Regall wrote:

The falcon example was just the most obnoxious form of ECM. Replace it with cloaking griffin to cover the novices and smalls.
Let's go through a few sceneriones:

You warp into a novice to engage a hostile. He scram/webs you and griffin uncloaks. Chance of survival? Almost none.

You are in a novice and a hostile warps in. He engages you and you suddenly notice t1 throw away logi on D-scan, who is soon into your plex as well. Chance of survival? Almost none.

You warp into a hostile that has an OGB booster. Chance of survival? If you are a skilled pilot who does research on his foe and knows how to counter fit, your chances of survival are actually pretty good.

In the end it all comes down to a simple mathematical truth: 2 > 1. Two accounts have an advantage over one account. My advice is simply this: be careful what you wish for.

Is that serious?
Show me your uber counterfit of a non boosted ship vs a loki and tengu boosted hawk^^
I prefer the cloaky griffin because he will be on km.
Plus you still maybe have a small chance to burn out or what I once did kill the papertank griffin when jam fails. That chance usually doesn´t exist vs a 4500m/s hawk with 16km scram range.

Example: I once engaged an incursus in a kitey condor. Just for fun although I knew I wouldn´t break his tank. That idiot was boosted and scrammed me from 16 or 17km^^
If he would have had a cloaky griffin instead I would have prolly burned out.
OGB gives you simply tooooooooooo big benefits for the really small risk.

[09:04:53] Ashira Twilight > Plant the f****** amarr flag and s*** on their smoking wrecks.