These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Clone costs and old vets

First post
Author
OfBalance
Caldari State
#81 - 2013-05-15 04:01:42 UTC
Bi-Mi Lansatha wrote:
Tom Gerard wrote:
Risk vs. Reward doesn't scale well

A 200m skillpoint character is not any safer than a 20m skillpoint character and yet has 10x the risk.
Then don't use it.

If you have trained up a 200M skill point character and then want to use them in a frigate... you have made a poor choice.

Proof we will all eventually fly titans, amirite?
Bi-Mi Lansatha
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#82 - 2013-05-15 04:01:57 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

Because some people have that many skill points, and even though flying the frigate at maximum ability might at best use a tenth of that, they only have one character, and shouldn't be forced to roll an alt for every single ship type.
You have three toons for each account. I understand player want all of the advantages that come with a 200M skill point toon, but that is a choice.

There are consequecies to that choice.in EvE
Bi-Mi Lansatha
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#83 - 2013-05-15 04:03:08 UTC
OfBalance wrote:
Bi-Mi Lansatha wrote:
Tom Gerard wrote:
Risk vs. Reward doesn't scale well

A 200m skillpoint character is not any safer than a 20m skillpoint character and yet has 10x the risk.
Then don't use it.

If you have trained up a 200M skill point character and then want to use them in a frigate... you have made a poor choice.

Proof we will all eventually fly titans, amirite?
If you are fly and then lose a Titan... your clone cost seems to be the least of your problems.
Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#84 - 2013-05-15 04:03:55 UTC
Bi-Mi Lansatha wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

Because some people have that many skill points, and even though flying the frigate at maximum ability might at best use a tenth of that, they only have one character, and shouldn't be forced to roll an alt for every single ship type.
You have three toons for each account. I understand player want all of the advantages that come with a 200M skill point toon, but that is a choice.

There are consequecies to that choice.in EvE

Okay, well if those consequences were set by a divine power, I would accept your argument. As things are, they're set by this game's developers, and you've still provided no proof of why they should continue to be so severe.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#85 - 2013-05-15 04:04:30 UTC
Bi-Mi Lansatha wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Bi-Mi Lansatha wrote:
What? Your response is confusing.

A player doesn't have to take out a 200M skill point character to fight in a Frigate... they choose to.

Why should I be punished for having trained my character?
Fundamentally, what part of that makes any sense?
Why choose to put a 200M skill point toon into a Frigate? Why are players using such toons in combat... they want the advantage.

The advantage of what? The vast majority of that SP that they're unable to use?
Furthermore you didn't answer my question.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Bi-Mi Lansatha
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#86 - 2013-05-15 04:05:33 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

Can you really not make the association that a player training a character might want to use multiple things with that character?
Again a player choice to make a combat/industrialist/trader/ etc all in one.

Clone cost are not secret. you know what the result is going to be... higher cost of PvP combat.
Bi-Mi Lansatha
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#87 - 2013-05-15 04:07:03 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

A. Eve punishes player for making poor choices.
B. Then don't use that toon.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#88 - 2013-05-15 04:08:25 UTC
The game is about risk vs. reward, not risk for absolutely no reason.
A 200m SP pilot doesn't get any more reward out of flying a frigate than a 15m SP pilot with a focus towards frigates, and yet the 200m SP pilot is at significantly greater risk. The result? 200m SP pilots don't fly frigates anymore because it's not worth the risk.

This is fundamentally bad game design.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#89 - 2013-05-15 04:08:57 UTC
Bi-Mi Lansatha wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

A. Eve punishes player for making poor choices.
B. Then don't use that toon.

Training your character should not be a poor choice. That's ********.

Bi-Mi Lansatha
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2013-05-15 04:09:55 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

Okay, well if those consequences were set by a divine power, I would accept your argument. As things are, they're set by this game's developers, and you've still provided no proof of why they should continue to be so severe.
First, your never offered proof why they shouldn't... other than it cost you ISK

I never said they should be so severe, in fact on another thread I have supported there reduction/change. Just not for the reasons you have offered.
Destiny Corrupted
#91 - 2013-05-15 04:09:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Destiny Corrupted
You've told us that clone costs should be high many times now, but you still didn't give a reason as to why.

We gave you plenty of reasons of why they shouldn't be high. Now it's your turn.

Bi-Mi Lansatha wrote:
First, your never offered proof why they shouldn't... other than it cost you ISK

I did, and so did other people. Go and read the thread again.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#92 - 2013-05-15 04:10:45 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
I suppose you're in favor of "ISK sinks" then, correct? Because we have a lot of ISK in the game, and that makes prices go up? And high clone costs will fix that?

So not only did you take that debate course, it looks like you went all the way for an economics degree too. Please tell me about all that "mudflation" while I pull my twenty-one exhumer bots out of the station and strip the local constellation of ore.

Mining is not an isk faucet.

But arguing that increasing clone costs will result in a greater isk sink is only true to a certain point. After that, people stop flying expensive pods in risky ways so the sink actually decreases despite increased cost.

The argument is that prices are already at that level. It is possible that decreasing clone costs will actually increase the sink due to increased pod losses.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Bi-Mi Lansatha
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#93 - 2013-05-15 04:11:09 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

Training your character should not be a poor choice. That's ********.
So a player can't train his toon poorly... when did that change?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#94 - 2013-05-15 04:11:28 UTC
Bi-Mi Lansatha wrote:
Why choose to put a 200M skill point toon into a Frigate? Why are players using such toons in combat... they want the advantage.
There is no advantage. They are using such toons in combat because it's the toon they have. Why should they be barred from using fun ships just because they've used a single character for a long time?

Corey Fumimasa wrote:
From a game balance point clone prices should go up. Mudflation and power creep are both limited by very expensive clone costs.
No, they're not. Mudflation and power creep are kept in check by the skill system, which ensures that an increasingly small portion of your SP is relevant to the task at hand at any given point.

It doesn't matter if you have a 40M character or a 250M character, the most you can put to use in a combat cruiser is around 35M. All the increased clone cost does is push people away from fun gameplay in small ships, even though there is zero connection between total SP and the kinds of ships you can fly. In fact, it does the exact opposite of what you're believing: it creates perverse incentives for alts and for going for “bigger and better” ships, which pushes up the amount of gank and tank that the character has to field to protect those SP, which increases the gank and tank everyone else has to field to combat it… and there's your power creep.

DIsincentivising the use of small ships by old players is horrible design that has no upsides whatsoever.
Mara Villoso
Long Jump.
#95 - 2013-05-15 04:12:38 UTC
The ship you're flying should be worth more than the cost to upgrade your clone. If it costs more to replace your clone than it does to buy and/or fit your ship, why did you train all those extra skills?
Destiny Corrupted
#96 - 2013-05-15 04:12:57 UTC
Zappity wrote:
Mining is not an isk faucet.

Yes, I know. What I meant by that was that there are many types of faucets in the game, and players like the poster I quoted don't seem to understand that. All they can do is parrot "ISK sink" over and over again because they have no concept of economics whatsoever.

Bi-Mi Lansatha
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#97 - 2013-05-15 04:14:13 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

I did, and so did other people. Go and read the thread again.

You complaint is because of your choice... there are consequences and you want that changed.

It cost you ISK.

There are what some consider valid arguments on why Clone cost should remain high (ISK sinks), but I am unsure of that.
OfBalance
Caldari State
#98 - 2013-05-15 04:14:23 UTC
Tippia wrote:

DIsincentivising the use of small ships by old players is horrible design that has no upsides whatsoever.

/thread
Bi-Mi Lansatha
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#99 - 2013-05-15 04:15:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Bi-Mi Lansatha
Tippia wrote:
Bi-Mi Lansatha wrote:
There is no advantage.

Then don't use it. Train up another toon problem solved. Or choose not to. Player choice.

I have seen biiter vets tell new players they can be effective in one day to fly a Frigate. Why don't they do it?
Destiny Corrupted
#100 - 2013-05-15 04:19:11 UTC
Bi-Mi Lansatha wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Bi-Mi Lansatha wrote:
There is no advantage.

Then don't use it. Train up another toon problem solved. Or choose not to. Player choice.

No, not having enough real-life bucks to have extra accounts going is not player choice, you royal imbecile.