These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Author
ElQuirko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2013-05-29 17:01:39 UTC
I really don't understand why drones weren't given as much priority as ship/weapon rebalancing. Drones span every race and near every ship class - fixing the usability of drones shoulda been way more important than, say, giving the tristan two extra powergrid or completely revamping what the cyclone does.

Dodixie > Hek

Arkenai Wyrnspire
Incorruptibles
#22 - 2013-05-29 17:25:44 UTC
ElQuirko wrote:
I really don't understand why drones weren't given as much priority as ship/weapon rebalancing. Drones span every race and near every ship class - fixing the usability of drones shoulda been way more important than, say, giving the tristan two extra powergrid or completely revamping what the cyclone does.

Definitely.

There have been rebalancing things for practically every weapon system - except drones. Whilst the problem isn't as simple as just a rebalance, there are loads of drones which are subpar and could do with a buff, for example, the Acolyte drones (Nearly any Caldari/Amarr drone, actually).

Drones have also become increasingly common in ships - every race's cruisers have them now, and it only gets worse as sizes increase. I feel it would be better to give less drones to ships that aren't Gallente (or Amarr).

Someone.

Lister Vindaloo
5 Tons of Flax
#23 - 2013-05-29 20:40:39 UTC
All the other rebalancing gives me hope that a drone fix is on the way, and lets face it they don't need a rebalance they need a total rebuild. But I now have hope, with any luck winter will bring droneageddon.
PinkKnife
The Cuddlefish
Ethereal Dawn
#24 - 2013-05-29 21:28:17 UTC
I love how CCP has gone around fixing things that effect maybe 1/2 the population of EVE, POS'es, sure they were bad, but the drone UI is way worse and effects way more people. Christ a whole race is dedicated to them, yet still, over a year after the first UI mockups were shown at fanfest IX we still are stuck with the same UI that was awful and ****** in 2004, and continues to bring down the game as it is.

At this point, ANYTHING is better than what we have now.
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#25 - 2013-05-29 21:42:48 UTC
CCP Arrow wrote:
I can't make any promises, but I've worked on many mockups and ideas for a brand new Drone UI and I would love to work on it's implementation with my team Game of Drones in the near future.

All I can say is keep up the good work of giving us ideas for it and know that the right people are listening Smile

Awesome! I hope you get you get allocated the project!

My wishlist for the UI is simple... simplish at least:

- ability to set Primary and Secondary group, and to bind shortcuts to launch these groups
- each drone gets assigned a number from 1-5, and you can select one or several of these by user-defined shortcuts
- when drone(s) are selected, the normal commands apply only to selected drone(s)
- launched groups needs to expand, and the returned group collapsed in the window, opposite behaviour to current!
- ability to see damage on drones in bay
- indicator when drones are targeted

These would relieve drone pilots from the dropdown menu ballet, and provide the necessary information required to control drones successfully. A lesser wish is to be able to create mixed drone groups of combat and other drones.

Keeping the window size slim is important.

Drones in general need quite a bit more than a usable UI, but I guess rebalancing and game mechanics would be handles by other teams.

Thumbs up!

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#26 - 2013-05-29 22:00:22 UTC
Personally i think this is MUCH more important than jump effects and moving the undock button just to move it.

Fix the systems that are TERRIBLE first.. Then the ones that ruin immersion...

Gameplay before fluff please.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#27 - 2013-05-29 22:48:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Herzog Wolfhammer
Please let us script drone responses in the client.

While some settings on their behavior would be good, like "passive", "attack if attacked" or "attack nearest hostile", etc, being able to go beyond into certain conditions would be a great help and I don't imagine that this could not be server level so much that the "Oh noez the server will have to work harder and I might have a .00001 percent increased chance of not getting a KM" crowd loses the right to forum rage.

Simple drone scripting instruction on the client side like:

Engage enemies in tactical order by size/threat level(Extreme/Danger/Risky) OR Distance

Engage enemies in order of attack form: Warp scrambling me/webbing me/energy draining me/target painting me/damping me/ ... etc

Engage by ship type order frigates/battle cruisers/assault frigates/destroyers/etc

Return when: sheilds are at 20 percent (THIS would be excellent for keeping drones alive)
or
Return when: Armor reaches 10 percent ..........etc..............

We already have drones returning to the bay automatically when the ship starts initiating warp.

Yeah I know. I can hear them now: "But.... but... .this will further dumb down the game!"

No, it will reduce drone tedium and if someone's killmails depend on someone else's bad UI tedium they are lame. I would bet those who would fear such measures have a lot of rookie ships and pods on their boards.

Fact is that drone scripting is still up to the player so nothing is being done for anybody to give anybody an advantage over anybody.

It would also be great to be able to export drone action/response configurations or scripts and import them to that they can be shared for cases where a fleet doctrine requires drones to behave in a certain way. We could even fancy perhaps some of the drone behavior customization to have specific fleet directives like "protect logistics ship" or even other directives for logistical drones. Having collections of these scripts would also be handy for various situations. We could see a whole new world break out for drones and make using drones more unique and interesting.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Frake Lomes
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2013-05-29 23:36:23 UTC
CCP Arrow wrote:
I can't make any promises, but I've worked on many mockups and ideas for a brand new Drone UI and I would love to work on it's implementation with my team Game of Drones in the near future.

All I can say is keep up the good work of giving us ideas for it and know that the right people are listening Smile

So the great ones in CCPwerks do exist, thank the supremely-intelligent-omnipotent-patron(ess) or whichever being that you believe or don't believe exists (try that diversity crowd!).

Anyhows, thnx for the reply. Really look forward to future drone stuff. +1 for Team Game of Drones Smile
Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#29 - 2013-05-31 06:53:35 UTC
Lister Vindaloo
5 Tons of Flax
#30 - 2013-05-31 14:25:35 UTC
I kinda like the more complex behavior idea but I'd like to be able to set it for each group I have made, not just for the entire bay.
CCP Arrow
C C P
C C P Alliance
#31 - 2013-05-31 19:15:56 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Arrow
Ok, I usually don't go into design methodologies on the forums but I'm in a Friday kind of mood so let's just try this together for fun.

Imagine just for a second that there are no Drones in EVE and there never was a Drone Management System.
Now imagine you are coming up with ideas for such a system..

1. User Needs - What is the single most important need this feature should fulfill?
  2. Usefullness - Name one important thing you want this feature to do for your current game experience.
  3. Functionality - How do you want to control this feature?
  4. Inspiration - Give one example of something from a Sci-fi movie you think should be used as a reference
  5. Potential - Name one good game mechanic currently existing in EVE which this feature could benefit from using

Have fun! o7

CCP Arrow   |   Director of User Experience   |   EVE Online   |   @CCP_Arrow

Amuneti Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#32 - 2013-05-31 19:59:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Amuneti Jones
  • User Needs - What is the single most important need this feature should fulfill?

• Alternate combat method. A weapon's substitute that permits alternative gameplay. Drones permits a person who does not understand optimum range, falloff, the hundreds of different ammo types, to be competitive, apply damage, or use utility while not being the perfect pilot. There are "MANY" people who use just drones, be it by lazyness or preference. They don't understand guns, sniper fits, brawling fits, etc. They wan to launch and let the drones control their own optimal damage while the person controls their ship. This allows for a macro approach, they worry less about ranges, and more about applying utility to their droneforce. This also allows a micro-approach by swapping in and out certain utility based drones (less viable now as we are reduced to just 5 drones).

• Usefullness - Name one important thing you want this feature to do for your current game experience.

• Substitute as my secondary defense system (a working e-war platform, ECM drones work to a degree. Webber drones, sensor damp drones, neut drones, and to a degree target painting drones, do little to nothing).

• Functionality - How do you want to control this feature?

• F1, F2, F3. Allow us to set a drone group as a click button just like a gun. (heck make a micro 4th role for drones). 1 click, attack, 2nd click, return.

• Inspiration - Give one example of something from a Sci-fi movie you think should be used as a reference

• Someone mocked it up for you already
    http://freebooted.blogspot.com/2012/12/no-retribution-for-drones.html
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0L9EipkVbUA/UMHeRAN587I/AAAAAAAAC1M/hWVTulUiIkY/s1600/EVE_Drone_UI.png

• Potential - Name one good game mechanic currently existing in EVE which this feature could benefit from using

• I can't name one that would not.. wait.. refining.
    MeBiatch
    GRR GOONS
    #33 - 2013-05-31 20:03:00 UTC
    ElQuirko wrote:

from what i understand drone ui is legacy code and being rewritten from scratch much like crimewatch was just not as complicated. more then likely the code is being first updated now and only after that can we expect improvements to 1. drone UI 2. drone usability.

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Freighdee Katt
    Center for Advanced Studies
    Gallente Federation
    #34 - 2013-05-31 20:23:20 UTC
    CCP Arrow wrote:

Alright then, tell us how many likes you need on this post to convince your superiors to green light it. I feel confident we can deliver double whatever number you need.

EvE is supposed to suck.  Wait . . . what was the question?

Freighdee Katt
    Center for Advanced Studies
    Gallente Federation
    #35 - 2013-05-31 20:30:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Freighdee Katt
    As far as "how it should work," I'd only ask for two things:

(1) Remove "aggressive" mode and drone auto-attack. Drones shoot at nothing until I tell them to. When I tell them to shoot something, they shoot at it until it's dead, and they do not stop shooting it unless I tell them to shoot something else. When the thing dies, they go back to idle or orbit.

(2) NPCs do not shoot drones. Full stop. Players can still shoot them of course, but NPCs do not.

Those two changes would solve every problem you thought you were trying to solve by making NPCs shoot at drones, and they would do a better job of solving those problems than the "new AI" ever will. No auto-attack = no afk, it's as simple as that.

This would put drone users on the same footing as users of all the other primary weapon systems, and it would have the side effect of allowing you to remove a whole lot of wonky and probably hard to maintain "drone AI" code.

EvE is supposed to suck.  Wait . . . what was the question?

J3ssica Alba
    Federal Navy Academy
    Gallente Federation
    #36 - 2013-05-31 20:37:03 UTC
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0L9EipkVbUA/UMHeRAN587I/AAAAAAAAC1M/hWVTulUiIkY/s1600/EVE_Drone_UI.png

This^ Can't emphasize how much better this would be than having to click in that tiny menu during combat
    This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless

Jonas Sukarala
    Deep Core Mining Inc.
    Caldari State
    #37 - 2013-05-31 20:53:20 UTC
    J3ssica Alba wrote:

This^ Can't emphasize how much better this would be than having to click in that tiny menu during combat

i like it but i prefer the bars if you need to rep a drone with armour repper for instance you need to know its armour amount etc.
    Although drones need to have more distinct tanking styles more like ships which would help if T2 drones had T2 resists too match. Along with much lower sig radius so they survive long enough to be worth having bars.

'Tech3 ships need to be put down, like a rabid dog drooling everywhere in the house, they are out of line' CCP Ytterbium Nerf missile range into place where is the TD missile change?  ..projectiles should use capacitor. ABC's should be T2 HABC and nerf web strength its still too high

Garviel Tarrant
    Beyond Divinity Inc
    Shadow Cartel
    #38 - 2013-05-31 21:03:57 UTC
    CCP Arrow wrote:
    Ok, I usually don't go into design methodologies on the forums but I'm in a Friday kind of mood so let's just try this together for fun.

Imagine just for a second that there are no Drones in EVE and there never was a Drone Management System.

1. User Needs - What is the single most important need this feature should fulfill?
    2. Usefullness - Name one important thing you want this feature to do for your current game experience.
    4. Inspiration - Give one example of something from a Sci-fi movie you think should be used as a reference
    5. Potential - Name one good game mechanic currently existing in EVE which this feature could benefit from using

Have fun! o7

1. Make using drones fun.
    2. Make me capable of properly managing drones without using a list (A list that doesn't even tell me what drones are damaged if i recall them making it very hard to cycle drones)
    3. Mouse and keyboard? same way as everything else
    5. Modules (although it would be nice if unlike guns you could cancel a recall.. Its really annoying when you accidentially turn of your gun, and you actually have to wait for it to finish cycling and turn of before turning it on again, losing precious seconds.. that would be amplified if you had to wait for drones to recall to put them out again :P

I skipped 4 because i don't get it :P

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Lunaleil Fournier
    Viziam
    Amarr Empire
    #39 - 2013-05-31 21:35:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Lunaleil Fournier
    CCP Arrow wrote:

Single most need: less clicks during combat.

How to control: Activate module button to attack current target, deactivate to make drones return and orbit.

While a full UI redo would be appreciated, simply adding drones as a module asap (on top of current UI) would make things 10,000% better.
    Kadl
    Imperial Academy
    Amarr Empire
    #40 - 2013-05-31 21:37:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Kadl
    CCP Arrow wrote:

Have fun! o7

I am going to take a different approach to your questions. Question 4 intrigued me first and I tried to think of SciFi where I have read or seen drones. Star Trek uses drones like probes. In Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars they use fighters instead of drones (in space). Babylon 5 has one drone which asks questions and tries to blow up the station. It seems like written fiction might have more, but they are still rare.

The problem is that drones don't put characters in danger. It is much more exciting to have a fighter pilot, which can put the pilot in real danger. So drones have a lack of characterization and therefore suffer in stories.

There are sources for inspiration in UAVs, combat robots (which oppose heroes), and pets in other MMOs. The Star Cruiser board game for 2300 AD had missiles which acted like drones. Homeworld had some drones. Star Fleet battles had "drones", but they were more like missiles in EVE. Note how the war games have more inspiration because they don't need characterization.

Before considering the other questions it might make sense to clarify the basic starting point. "Imagine .. no Drones" leaves things quite open. Are you asking for a complete re-imagining of drones, or just the Drone Management System? It seems that those are two very different questions. Both of them are interesting. I think you have a number of re-imagined Drone Management Systems already here. Still, your question was based on a complete re-imagining.