These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey] Navy Battleships

First post First post
Author
Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#381 - 2013-05-14 09:28:09 UTC
Thank GOD you didnt ruin the navy geddon. That's about all.

PS: LOL at the navy apoc changes :P lost cap, cap use AND tank? on a scale of 1-Lots, how mad is RnK right about now?

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Schmell
Russian Thunder Squad
Against ALL Authorities
#382 - 2013-05-14 09:30:57 UTC
Jack Miton wrote:

PS: LOL at the navy apoc changes :P lost cap, cap use AND tank? on a scale of 1-Lots, how mad is RnK right about now?

I guess less mad than any sigtank fan
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#383 - 2013-05-14 09:33:13 UTC
Schmell wrote:
Jack Miton wrote:

I guess less mad than any sigtank fan

You guess correctly.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#384 - 2013-05-14 09:34:33 UTC
Gimme more Cynos wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Carniflex wrote:
Interesting. Pity about CNR nerf tho

Can you give me a scenario where the CNR post June 5th won't be better than it is now?

Just look at the new EHP numbers. You're welcome.

Spell the actual scenario you have in mind out for me.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#385 - 2013-05-14 09:35:43 UTC
CCP Rise,

what about the sentry fixes?

I'd also be interested in your views on where to use a NMega/Mega instead of the Hyperion or Talos, or any other battleship.

Grunnax Aurelius
State War Academy
Caldari State
#386 - 2013-05-14 09:39:29 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Carniflex wrote:

Can you give me a scenario where the CNR post June 5th won't be better than it is now?

You can put a nano on it, fit cruise missiles and go hunt machariels!!! 1250m/sec with mwd

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=342042&find=unread

Animal Nitrate
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#387 - 2013-05-14 09:40:46 UTC
Jack Miton wrote:

It will still be one of, if not the most widely used fleet navy bs post patch.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#388 - 2013-05-14 09:41:17 UTC
Grunnax Aurelius wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Carniflex wrote:

You can put a nano on it, fit cruise missiles and go hunt machariels!!! 1250m/sec with mwd

The post June 5th CNR will be massively better in this scenario.

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Gimme more Cynos
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#389 - 2013-05-14 09:42:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Gimme more Cynos
Malcanis wrote:
Grath Telkin wrote:
Gimme more Cynos wrote:
Grath Telkin wrote:

Explosion velocities are low, so what i said is acurate

This is only true if you completely ignore the Signature/explosion-radius part of the equation...

No they're two different parts of the equation that both effect damage applied.

You can be moving fast, but have a huge sig and still take but loads of damage

Let's take a higher level view of the issue:

There's only one scenario I can think of where the new CNR won't be better than the current CNR. If you're ungrouping your launchers and firing at a large number of large, very low hitpoint targets, then the current CNR is better. Let's see what this means

SCENARIOS WHERE THE CURRENT CNR IS BETTER:
You've decided you want to clear all the wrecks and cans from the grid and you're using a CNR to do it for whatever reason.

SCENARIOS WHERE THE NEW CNR WILL BE BETTER:
Everything else.

So if your current primary use for your Navy Raven is blapping wrecks and cans, well then son I'm sorry for your loss, you're gonna be worse off.

If you use your navy raven for anything else, it's going to be 10-50% better than it is now: you're welcome, no need to say thank you.

What you've said is true, but not related to the ship. Instead, this is related to the CM Buff. The current slot-layout and bonus's would be better in a lot of cases (like shooting other BS's, or Caps/ structures). While the new slot-layout only favours PvP in the absence of other TP's and webs.

You can't call it a CNR buff just because the weapon gets buffed. Infact, the CNR gets a nerf which isn't even remotely compensated by the buff it gets. While the new CNR is a bit better at solo PvP'ing, this isn't remotely helpful, as noone will use them at PvP, just because the standard-raven will perform equally, especially if grouped with fleet support.

That's the whole point of my rage, the CNR gets a questionable "buff", while it's beeing nerf for the majority of cases. I agree that it still seems balanced (!), given that it will project almost 1k dps at long distances, but:

is the Faction price tag worth that? For PvE, the Golem and the freakin SNI will perform better (golem has double dmg-application bonus and an active Tank bonus, while the SNI provides more significantly more tank than the CNR, with almost equal damage).

The only reason to use the CNR is it's range, so it's either Torps or GTFO, as it's likely that noone will need the speed-bonus for CM's. Therefore, the CNR will be weaker than almost every single alternative in the majority of the cases.

That's why this change is not well thought out, and that's why I'm raging.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#390 - 2013-05-14 09:42:54 UTC
Animal Nitrate wrote:
Jack Miton wrote:

It will still be one of, if not the most widely used fleet navy bs post patch.

This would only be true if there was some kind of ship that could supply capacitor to other ships.

A wonderful magic ship

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Bereza Mia
Trade Federation of EVE
#391 - 2013-05-14 09:43:07 UTC
The new CNR will have exact same dps and damage application as T1 Typhoon.
And in often same effective dps as SNI and T1 Raven.

Ofc +explosion velocity will be useful (in some situations), but I prefer old +RoF bonus on CNR.
Grunnax Aurelius
State War Academy
Caldari State
#392 - 2013-05-14 09:54:20 UTC
LINE UP YOUR MACHARIELS FOR MY CNR TO HUNT!!!

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=342042&find=unread

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#393 - 2013-05-14 09:55:52 UTC
Bereza Mia wrote:

Ofc +explosion velocity will be useful (in some situations), but I prefer old +RoF bonus on CNR.

"Caldari Battleship Skill Bonuses:
+5% bonus to Torpedo and Cruise Missile explosion radius"

CNR is getting a precision bonus (better).

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#394 - 2013-05-14 09:59:20 UTC
Gimme more Cynos wrote:

You can't call it a CNR buff just because the weapon gets buffed.

Of course I can. Do you think that the CCP balance team didn't take the CML buff into account? Do you think that they shouldn't have?

Quote:
Infact, the CNR gets a nerf which isn't even remotely compensated by the buff it gets. .

Again: produce a scenario where the Cruise CNR will be worse after Odessey than before.

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Deerin
East Trading Co Ltd
#395 - 2013-05-14 10:04:13 UTC
Gimme more Cynos wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Carniflex wrote:

Just look at the new EHP numbers. You're welcome.

Current CNR with All level 5 no modules: EHP 50294
New CNR with All level 5, a shield extender in the new med: EHP 53527

On Golem vs CNR....are you really comparing a specialized t2 ship for PvE to a faction ship for general use?
On SNI vs CNR the problem lies at the monster which is called SNI. It IS too good and CCP knows that too.
Deerin
East Trading Co Ltd
#396 - 2013-05-14 10:05:39 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Bereza Mia wrote:

"Caldari Battleship Skill Bonuses:
+5% bonus to Torpedo and Cruise Missile explosion radius"

CNR is getting a precision bonus (better).

WHOA didn't notice that!! Thought it was the same bonus as the phoon
Caitlyn Tufy
Perkone
Caldari State
#397 - 2013-05-14 10:08:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Caitlyn Tufy
Grath Telkin wrote:
Gypsio III wrote:
, and it's moving at the same velocity, or slower than, your missile's explosion velocity, then your will do full damage - none is mitigated. Not "nearly full damage", but "full damage".

Explosion velocities are low, so what i said is acurate

Most ships move at speeds that will mitigate damage because explosion velocities are really low in all cases, hence me actually stating that unless your target is sitting dead still it will mitigate some damage.

Take a heavy missile fired from a drake, its explosion velocity is 81, meaning that above 81 m/s, things start mitigating damage.

No, you don't understand how missiles work. Even if the explosion velocity is lower than the speed of the ship, the size of its sig can still allow missiles to apply full damage, because the two coefficients are linked. For instance, an MWDing target will be moving faster, but it will also have a larger signature, meaning it will take just as much damage as if it were moving without MWD. On the other hand, an ABing target will be moving slower than the MWDing one, but will still have a small sig, thereby mitigating more damage.

Or more precisely, the modifier of the formula is MIN(1, S/R, (vE/v * S/R), where:

S = signature radius of the target
R = explosion radius
vE = explosion velocity
v = target velocity

As you can see, the explosion velocity relative to target velocity is ALWAYS modified by the signature radius relative to explosion radius and the value of the formula can never be greater than 1 (meaning the missile can never deal more than full damage). Note how the opposite is not true - a low sig target standing still will still mitigate the damage just with its sig.
Ember Saint
Time-Lost Proto-Drake
#398 - 2013-05-14 10:08:40 UTC
tiericide involves evening out the mineral requirements. navy battleships differ wildly in their LP cost, will this be adjusted as well since no more tiers etc?
C3ph45
Melphalan
#399 - 2013-05-14 10:12:22 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
Quote:
Maybe a good moment for marauders rebalance?

We're with you on this. The top of the list has a whole bunch of stuff on it, but Maruaders are there somewhere =)

Gee, and I just bought a Kronos for the first time....!
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#400 - 2013-05-14 10:14:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Malcanis
Ember Saint wrote:
tiericide involves evening out the mineral requirements. navy battleships differ wildly in their LP cost, will this be adjusted as well since no more tiers etc?

I asked this. The answer is "yes but not right away"

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016