These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey] Navy Battleships

First post First post
Author
Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#281 - 2013-05-14 04:51:17 UTC
Alexander Renoir wrote:
Grath Telkin wrote:

.. and its literally dudes like the idiot a few posts above me who's pissed he can't fit a tractor beam ..

Idiot? Learn the math! I lose more firepower and CCP obstruct one high Slot with this crap! It is not just because of the tractor beam. It is: I lose a highslot, firepower and have to use more ammunition. Thats all. Try to find someone else who will do the math with you. Blink

read the quoted post below yours, you have no idea how eve combat mechanics work.

Malcanis - Without drone assign, the slowcat doctrine will wither and die.

Alexander Renoir
Covenant Trading Agency
#282 - 2013-05-14 04:55:42 UTC
Grath Telkin wrote:
Alexander Renoir wrote:
Grath Telkin wrote:

.. and its literally dudes like the idiot a few posts above me who's pissed he can't fit a tractor beam ..

Idiot? Learn the math! I lose more firepower and CCP obstruct one high Slot with this crap! It is not just because of the tractor beam. It is: I lose a highslot, firepower and have to use more ammunition. Thats all. Try to find someone else who will do the math with you. Blink

read the quoted post below yours, you have no idea how eve combat mechanics work.

Perhaps for guns you are right. But with Missiles I always hit with full damage. And if you cut this damage by 25% (rate of fire bonus) I will lose 25%.
Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#283 - 2013-05-14 04:56:05 UTC
This thread is amazing, its full of mission runners who simply have no concept of how the weapons they put on their ships function, or how the math that goes into them figures out when considering weapon and target

Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#284 - 2013-05-14 04:57:23 UTC
Alexander Renoir wrote:

Perhaps for guns you are right. But with Missiles I always hit with full damage. And if you cut this damage by 25% (rate of fire bonus) I will lose 25%.

Haha, you absolutely do NOT always hit for full damage, in point of fact, with missiles, unless the target is DEAD STOPPED you rarely will EVER hit for full damage, thats one of the reasons why the added bonus is good.

Avald Midular
Doomheim
#285 - 2013-05-14 04:57:46 UTC
Grath Telkin wrote:
Crash Lander wrote:
So you abandoned the Amarr re-balancing thread despite the heavy criticism on the Apoc changes and made the same changes the the napoc.

I think we all understand the meaning of asking for feedback a little better now.

No, its called ignoring you because you have no idea what you're talking about, the changes to both the Apoc and the Napoc are amazing, and its literally dudes like the idiot a few posts above me who's pissed he can't fit a tractor beam and you who want a cap use bonus or some crap like that on the Apoc, or even worse, the CVA guy asking for falloff on lasers

Can you please explain why the changes to Apoc are amazing? Heck, just please give a situation that the Apoc or Napoc excels at over the Abaddon and why a tracking paired with a range bonus is a useful thing? The Amarr BS thread has the Large Energy Turret tracking math and this bonus only helps against cruisers with perfect transversals at the Apoc's optimal (with a beam fit) and with a pulse fit why give it a +range bonus?

Alexander Renoir
Covenant Trading Agency
#286 - 2013-05-14 05:01:04 UTC
Grath Telkin wrote:
This thread is amazing, its full of mission runners who simply have no concept of how the weapons they put on their ships function, or how the math that goes into them figures out when considering weapon and target

Why do you want to over-complicate the mechanic with a magical knowledge of "How Missile Damage Is Applied"?
Now I shoot with "calculated" 8.75 Launchers. After this I can fit 8 launchers. Or please try to explain. Give an example for a Cruise Missile CNR which will lead to an enlightenment for me.
Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#287 - 2013-05-14 05:02:30 UTC
Avald Midular wrote:

Can you please explain why the changes to Apoc are amazing? Heck, just please give a situation that the Apoc or Napoc excels at over the Abaddon and why a tracking paired with a range bonus is a useful thing? The Amarr BS thread has the Large Energy Turret tracking math and this bonus only helps against cruisers with perfect transversals at the Apoc's optimal (with a beam fit) and with a pulse fit why give it a +range bonus?

Are you asking me why better range and tracking are bad right now?

Like I'm being serious, I feel like you might be trolling me. Better tracking means more dps applied to the target, better range means farther reach before damage starts to decrease or stop all together.

Its not like a little bit more tracking, with BS 5 you're looking at 37.5% more tracking, no matter what geniuses in that thread are telling you that is a relatively HUGE increase in overall tracking, that would require about 4+ fitting mods to achieve, essentially between the two bonuses you're getting 4 free tracking enhances on your ship that you wont have to fit in the slightest way.

Seriously, sometimes I wish that the guy that does EFT would just close it down and stop updating it so that you'd all have to start understanding the basic principles of what a moving target means to your guns, compared to the numbers that EFT gives you.

Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#288 - 2013-05-14 05:08:30 UTC
Alexander Renoir wrote:
Grath Telkin wrote:

Why do you want to over-complicate the mechanic with a magical knowledge of "How Missile Damage Is Applied"?
Now I shoot with "calculated" 8.75 Launchers. After this I can fit 8 launchers. Or please try to explain. Give an example for a Cruise Missile CNR which will lead to an enlightenment for me.

Its not magical, its your targets signature and speed working against the explosion velocity and radius of your missiles. If the CNR is so special to you how do you not know this? Like, why do you think you put the rigs on it that you put on it? Right, i should amend that, I'm assuming you use the right rigs.

So basically, if your target moves, at all, its mitigating SOME missile damage. The faster it goes, the more it mitigates as it gets out of the explosion area of said missile. Pre Nano nerf it used to be possible to nearly mitigate all of that damage simply by flying like a bat out of hell around 10km/s, however that changed and now things take some damage. Target painters effect half of the equation by inflating the targets signature but basically this increase, weather you like it or not, will result in 2 things: Your missiles will reach the target faster, and they will do more damage as it will be unable to escape the missiles explosion area by using its speed.

I can't really explain it any better, theres a new EFT thats already been mocked up with these stats, you should hunt that down and see the difference in the projected DPS graphs against various targets, I think maybe that might help lessen some of the angst you feel right now

DeLindsay
Galaxies Fall
#289 - 2013-05-14 05:09:40 UTC
Quote:
Like with the Navy Armageddon, we are going to leave the Navy Domi as a throw-back rather than switching to the new tech 1 bonus. This layout offers many unique and brutal opportunities, and fits the more niche application of a faction ship. By becoming ‘combat’ rather than ‘tier 1’ it will also gain a significant hitpoint boost.

Gallente Battleship Skill Bonuses:
+10% Drone Damage and Drone hitpoints
+5% Large Hybrid Turret damage

Boo, I was hoping to see that new Drone bonus carried over to the Navy and eventually the Rattlesnake. I understand CCP you had a ton of players screaming at you for removing the Blaster dmg bonus from the T1 Domi but it was never the "right" bonus to begin with. It's still not the right bonus for the Navy, but oh well.

The Operative: "There are a lot of innocent people being killed in the air right now".

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "You have no idea how true that is".

Alexander Renoir
Covenant Trading Agency
#290 - 2013-05-14 05:17:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Alexander Renoir
Grath Telkin wrote:
Alexander Renoir wrote:
Grath Telkin wrote:

Its not magical, its your targets signature and speed working against the explosion velocity and radius of your missiles. If the CNR is so special to you how do you not know this? Like, why do you think you put the rigs on it that you put on it? Right, i should amend that, I'm assuming you use the right rigs.

So basically, if your target moves, at all, its mitigating SOME missile damage. The faster it goes, the more it mitigates as it gets out of the explosion area of said missile. Pre Nano nerf it used to be possible to nearly mitigate all of that damage simply by flying like a bat out of hell around 10km/s, however that changed and now things take some damage. Target painters effect half of the equation by inflating the targets signature but basically this increase, weather you like it or not, will result in 2 things: Your missiles will reach the target faster, and they will do more damage as it will be unable to escape the missiles explosion area by using its speed.

I can't really explain it any better, theres a new EFT thats already been mocked up with these stats, you should hunt that down and see the difference in the projected DPS graphs against various targets, I think maybe that might help lessen some of the angst you feel right now

Yeah.. OK. Please do not misunderstand me. But I use CCC rigs and with my outskilled char with All Level 5 I do not recognize the speed of my enemy MISSION-NPC anymore. Perhaps the influence of Speed is something which will work for enemy frigates. But with my current skillset I even shoot frigates with my Cruise Missiles. Sure not the elite ones. But therefore I have drones.
Cruiser size is absolute NO problem for me (in missions). If they use a AB or MWD.. ist equal. Two or three salves (depending on NPC type) and they are gone.
I just recognized that I will miss the 25% rate of fire Bonus. I kill Frigates with CM. I have no Problem with explo Velo. Absolute null Problems. But I have a Problem with NO Rate Of Fire Bonus. Thats all. With my skillset; a ROF has much more influence than the laughable explo Velo or Speed of my NPC's. I have done missions nearly more than 5 years. And I know what I am talking about.

By the way.. It is possible to kill a real player (mission thief) in his frigate. Sure thats not the Standard Situation for PvP, but I can kill real Player frigates with CM. I did it two times.
Voith
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#291 - 2013-05-14 05:26:48 UTC
I'm extremely disappointed in the Navy 'Geddon. It could have been something awesome... something unique. Instead it is another boring Amarr Laser Brick. There was so many possibilities. Missiles/Drone bonus? Missiles/Neut? Drone/Neut?

Instead... Lasers + Armor. So disappointing.
Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#292 - 2013-05-14 05:27:32 UTC
Gimme more Cynos wrote:

In PvE - you can on BS/BC's (if you can't, learn to fit a missile boat), and everything smaller than that will get one-volley'ed once the changes are through (except elite frigs/cruisers).

Alexander Renoir wrote:

Yeah.. OK. Please do not misunderstand me. But I use CCC rigs and with my outskilled char with All Level 5 I do not recognize the speed of my enemy MISSION-NPC anymore. Perhaps the influence of Speed is something which will work for enemy frigates. But with my current skillset I even shoot frigates with my Cruise Missiles. Sure not the elite ones. But therefore I have drones.
Cruiser size is absolute NO problem for me (in missions). If they use a AB or MWD.. ist equal. Two or three salves (depending on NPC type) and they are gone.
I just recognized that I will miss the 25% rate of fire Bonus. I kill Frigates with CM. I have no Problem with explo Velo. Absolute null Problems. But I have a Problem with NO Rate Of Fire Bonus. Thats all. With my skillset; a ROF has much more influence than the laughable explo Velo or Speed of my NPC's. I have done missions nearly more than 5 years. And I know what I am talking about.

Like I said, you're not hitting them for full damage, you're hitting them hard, I'm not denying that, but its still not full damage.

You will in fact hit them HARDER now, and your missiles will go farther faster than before, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 m/s meaning that even targets at range will die faster.

You'll still volley BC's and BS like you're used to, but you'll also kill smaller craft faster.

You wont burn more ammo because the 1 extra launcher will be mitigated by a slightly lower RoF, so ammo usage will be about the same, if not less as you use less on smaller targets.

Go find the EFT mock up with these numbers, install it, and judge for yourself, stop trying to do math in your head when you dont have all the math in your head to do.

Dr Ngo
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#293 - 2013-05-14 05:31:17 UTC
Oh wow this thread is beautiful.

Just the amount of mission running baddies who have no idea how eve works...keep up the good work rise
Gimme more Cynos
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#294 - 2013-05-14 05:37:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Gimme more Cynos
Grath Telkin wrote:

Like I said, you're not hitting them for full damage, you're hitting them hard, I'm not denying that, but its still not full damage.

+

You'll still volley BC's and BS like you're used to,

But I'm not hitting them for full dmg... sure

Quote:

but you'll also kill smaller craft faster.

Yup, I will kill them in one volley because of the 25% more volley damage, and with one more TP and one more Rigor, the bonus just won't help with killing them faster, as it doesn't matter if I hit them for 110% of their HP or for 115% because of the ships-bonus. And no, I don't have any other use for the rig-slots or the additional med. Yes, I would have applied more dmg if the target had more HP (!), not denying that, but the fact that it doesn't makes your argument invalid.

Quote:

Go find the EFT mock up with these numbers, install it, and judge for yourself, stop trying to do math in your head when you dont have all the math in your head to do.

Go fly the ship first, thank you.
Avald Midular
Doomheim
#295 - 2013-05-14 05:41:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Avald Midular
Grath Telkin wrote:

No I'm asking you why they are "amazing" or in any way better than an Abaddon since the two ships mods and fitting are largely the same.

Grath Telkin wrote:

Better tracking means more dps applied to the target, better range means farther reach before damage starts to decrease or stop all together.

No it doesn't, beams already have the best long range weapon tracking and don't have a lot of trouble hitting cruiser targets at their optimal as long as their not at perfect orbit. What will this tracking bonus allow you to hit that you weren't hitting before? On the other side, if you're pulse fit and need the tracking, then why is an optimal range bonus useful, great another 8km of optimal or way less with IN MF crystal. Again, I'm not saying they're completely worthless, just inferior to both of the Abaddon's.

Grath Telkin wrote:

Its not like a little bit more tracking, with BS 5 you're looking at 37.5% more tracking, no matter what geniuses in that thread are telling you that is a relatively HUGE increase in overall tracking, that would require about 4+ fitting mods to achieve, essentially between the two bonuses you're getting 4 free tracking enhances on your ship that you wont have to fit in the slightest way.

Lol 4 fitting mods? It's a single scripted faction tracking computer or only 7% more than a scripted TC II. Lets not go overboard. Those "geniuses" in the other thread actually backed up their claim with math while you're saying "omg noobs tracking paired with range for BS's is awesome".

Even if you thought you needed that much tracking to go after BC's why would you not use an Oracle? It can fit and fire a full rack of tach's that would cripple an Apoc's fit and do it at half the price.
mama guru
Yazatas.
#296 - 2013-05-14 05:46:46 UTC
Avald Midular wrote:
Grath Telkin wrote:

No I'm asking you why they are "amazing" or in any way better than an Abaddon since the two ships mods and fitting are largely the same.

Grath Telkin wrote:

Better tracking means more dps applied to the target, better range means farther reach before damage starts to decrease or stop all together.

No it doesn't, beams already have the best long range weapon tracking and don't have a lot of trouble hitting cruiser targets at their optimal as long as their not at perfect orbit. What will this tracking bonus allow you to hit that you weren't hitting before? On the other side, if you're pulse fit and need the tracking, then why is an optimal range bonus useful, great another 8km of optimal or way less with IN MF crystal. Again, I'm not saying they're completely worthless, just inferior to both of the Abaddon's.

Grath Telkin wrote:

Lol 4 fitting mods? It's a single scripted faction tracking computer or only 7% more than a scripted TC II. Lets not go overboard. Those "geniuses" in the other thread actually backed up their claim with math while you're saying "omg noobs tracking paired with range for BS's is awesome".

Even if you thought you needed that much tracking to go after BC's why would you not use an Oracle? It can fit and fire a full rack of tach's that would cripple an Apoc's fit and do it at half the price.

Grath is right you know.

Anyone who has flown the apoc in fleets knows that the tracking bonus is basically godsend.

EVE online is the fishermans friend of MMO's. If it's too hard you are too weak.

Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#297 - 2013-05-14 05:54:46 UTC
Gimme more Cynos wrote:

But I'm not hitting them for full dmg... sure

Correct, you're not hitting them for full damage. I understand that you don't understand the missile damage formula but I'm trying to explain it in the terms that might get through to you

Gimme more Cynos wrote:

Yup, I will kill them in one volley because of the 25% more volley damage,

No, thats not why you'll hit them harder, and I honestly can't see how you get out of bed in the morning and dress yourself since you literally have no idea how your own ship works.

Gimme more Cynos wrote:
Go fly the ship first, thank you.

I own one, of just about every BS, currently missing a Navy Scorp, Bhaalgorn and Nightmare, thanks for the suggestion I can't wait to use it after these changes as it will literally be a monster, you know, like everybody who isn't a mission running clueless pubbie

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#298 - 2013-05-14 06:00:38 UTC
Doctor Carbonatite wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

Can you propose a scenario where the CNR will be worse on June 5th than it is right now?

POS-bashing with torps. 8 effective launchers vs. previous 9.3.

Wrong. Those 8 effective launchers will each be doing 30% more DPS because of the cruise missile changes, meaning the ship will do 11.4% more DPS to structures on June 5th than it does now.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Grath Telkin
Amok.
Goonswarm Federation
#299 - 2013-05-14 06:03:15 UTC
Avald Midular wrote:

Lol 4 fitting mods? It's a single scripted faction tracking computer or only 7% more than a scripted TC II. Lets not go overboard. .

T2 tracking enhancer (the mod I quoted) gives you 9.5% tracking, this bonus will be stacking penalized with each new tracking enhancer you put on.

Meaning to get near 37.5% you will need a MINIMUM OF FIVE FITTINGS TO EQUAL THIS BONUS.

You see a Tracking Enhancer is the only thing that gives BOTH bonuses (tracking and optimal) so its the one I used for the comparison, those "geniuses" in the other thread simply don't understand what the hell they're talking about.

Why an optimal bonus? How about pushing scorch out to 90km? And while your out there tracking nearly as good as medium guns while applying BS gun sized DPS? (medium pulse lasar tracking .08 napoc MP II tracking will be around .04)

Also just because you were hitting doesn't mean you were hitting near hard enough with beams, imagine hitting hard even IF they have a perfect orbit, probably near doubling your applied dps.

Lastly, everything you're posting about seems to assume that you MUST balance a ship around PVE, whereas the Navy Apoc is VERY popular in PVP, as a fleet line battleship, this just made it better.

Destoya
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#300 - 2013-05-14 06:04:46 UTC
Kind of sad my torp CNR got murdered; no longer any good as a herocat capital killer.

Still, I can switch right over to the navy phoon so it's not a huge deal to me.