These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

A Film About Women In Gaming Is Going Ahead

Author
Dri Kulsane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2013-05-09 17:15:10 UTC
Seleene wrote:
Kirjava wrote:
Women who do end up immersed in this culture are in it for pretty much the same reasons, a few years ago a common empty threat was to hire a faction called Mercenary Coalition to come and **** your corporation and everything you held dear.

It was led by a bored housewife in her downtime and she was one of the most feared players in Eve's history.


I was also a dev for several years and look like Mila Kunis in real life. Cool


And I got to sit next to the sexy beast at FanFest Twisted
Eessi
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#22 - 2013-05-09 17:18:21 UTC
Seleene wrote:
Kirjava wrote:
Women who do end up immersed in this culture are in it for pretty much the same reasons, a few years ago a common empty threat was to hire a faction called Mercenary Coalition to come and **** your corporation and everything you held dear.

It was led by a bored housewife in her downtime and she was one of the most feared players in Eve's history.


I was also a dev for several years and look like Mila Kunis in real life. Cool



:D Hurray for hot bored house wives that lead feared merc factions, were devs, and csm chairs.
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#23 - 2013-05-09 17:33:47 UTC
Seleene wrote:
Kirjava wrote:
Women who do end up immersed in this culture are in it for pretty much the same reasons, a few years ago a common empty threat was to hire a faction called Mercenary Coalition to come and **** your corporation and everything you held dear.

It was led by a bored housewife in her downtime and she was one of the most feared players in Eve's history.


I was also a dev for several years and look like Mila Kunis in real life. Cool


i'll be in my bunk?™
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#24 - 2013-05-09 18:13:10 UTC
Seleene wrote:
Kirjava wrote:
Women who do end up immersed in this culture are in it for pretty much the same reasons, a few years ago a common empty threat was to hire a faction called Mercenary Coalition to come and **** your corporation and everything you held dear.

It was led by a bored housewife in her downtime and she was one of the most feared players in Eve's history.


I was also a dev for several years and look like Mila Kunis in real life. Cool

My apologies about that, congratulations on transcending the plebian player classes to become a Dev Big smile

And Mila Kunis?...

I'll be in my bunk Pirate

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Sephira Galamore
Inner Beard Society
#25 - 2013-05-09 19:34:30 UTC
NightCrawler 85, thank you for these words. All of them.

I must admit, I sometimes see this with myself (I'm male btw). Whether it is talking to female friends outside the game or chatting to female bros ingame.. I talk/write softer/more cheerful, and am more likely to do favors.
But that may also be simply because women more often are softer/more cheerful as well and know better how to ask for a favor. ("Seph, can you do xyz" vs. "Seeeeeph.... could you help me with something please? :D").
If I help my female cousine she thanks me nicely, with a smile. If I help my male cousin he goes "yo, thanks" while already walking away.
I think for me it's less about the gender itself but more about the character of a person. And it's definately not because I want to get sexual or anything. Well, maybe some tiny instinctive bit, but I'd consider myself above that.
Where am I going with all that? No idea, suppose I just wanted to put out my POV on what you described. But it may very well be that I'm not exactly fitting the male norm :shrugs:

Kirjava:
I actually know of a woman that FCs quite professionally - Greygal, from Agony Empire. <3
Bagehi
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#26 - 2013-05-09 20:01:30 UTC
Kirjava wrote:
Seleene wrote:
Kirjava wrote:
Women who do end up immersed in this culture are in it for pretty much the same reasons, a few years ago a common empty threat was to hire a faction called Mercenary Coalition to come and **** your corporation and everything you held dear.

It was led by a bored housewife in her downtime and she was one of the most feared players in Eve's history.


I was also a dev for several years and look like Mila Kunis in real life. Cool

My apologies about that, congratulations on transcending the plebian player classes to become a Dev Big smile

And Mila Kunis?...

I'll be in my bunk Pirate

I can see it...

http://i.imgur.com/h69DZEC.jpg
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#27 - 2013-05-09 20:04:11 UTC
Where's the bleach? Or a grapefruit spoon? I have a couple eyes that need treatment...

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2013-05-09 21:09:39 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Where's the bleach? Or a grapefruit spoon? I have a couple eyes that need treatment...


Sporks Big smile

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Commissar Kate
NulzSec
#29 - 2013-05-09 21:40:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Commissar Kate
silens vesica wrote:
Where's the bleach? Or a grapefruit spoon? I have a couple eyes that need treatment...




I'm gonna need a sharp scalpel and my long-handled stainless spoon Ugh
Cierejai
Biofuel Productions
#30 - 2013-05-10 06:07:40 UTC
The reason women get a bad rap in gaming is because they bring gender and identity politics into gaming.

People just want to play the game, not listen to some personal drama.



NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises
#31 - 2013-05-10 06:34:23 UTC
Cierejai wrote:
The reason women get a bad rap in gaming is because they bring gender and identity politics into gaming.

People just want to play the game, not listen to some personal drama.


I will admit i have never heard this said about female gamers before, and i will also admit im not sure weather or not you you are serious.

Do female players have real life drama they need/want to went about once in a while? Of course!
Do male players have real life drama they need/want to went about once in a while? Yes again!

Im sure there are some players out there that really does not want to mention anything about real life, or think about real life while they are playing the game. And for these people i can understand that its frustrating to have a corp/guild/cabal/whatever chat that is blinking because someone is talking about how they are feeling awful because they have the flu.
But saying that its only female gamers that do these things i can not agree with one bit.

But of course it is possible that when a guy whines about his wife not bringing his food fast enough its "ok", because thats just a man that is pointing out how lazy his wife is and can lead to some good stories on how other wifes/girlfriends are just as bad as his Blink

Now if what you are saying is the a female gamer can not be put in a situation where they are in charge of something because they will let their emotions affect their decisions...
Maybe to some extent, but i also think that this is a problem that both genders have.
If there is someone you dont like it does not matter if your a female or a male, you will treat that person differently. If there is a group of players you dont like males and females will treat that group differently.
But in most cases people will be able to recognize these emotions, and understand that they have to think about the issue beyond them selfes and their own personal opinions.

I will however admit that there has been times where i let my emotions have a bigger impact on my decisions while playing EVE as an example. If a recruit tries to join the corp and i dont like said recruit for one reason or another (something he said, how he worded him self, comments that makes me question his motives, or just seems to have a bad attitude and i have to question if he would be able to fit into the corp) i will reject his application.
Is it possible that i just turned down an awesome recruit that could have done a lot of good for the corp? Sure there is, but in some cases i prefer to let my emotions and "gut feeling" take control and trust that my feelings about that person is accurate Big smile
Cierejai
Biofuel Productions
#32 - 2013-05-10 06:42:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Cierejai
NightCrawler 85 wrote:
Cierejai wrote:
The reason women get a bad rap in gaming is because they bring gender and identity politics into gaming.

People just want to play the game, not listen to some personal drama.


I will admit i have never heard this said about female gamers before, and i will also admit im not sure weather or not you you are serious.

Do female players have real life drama they need/want to went about once in a while? Of course!
Do male players have real life drama they need/want to went about once in a while? Yes again!

Im sure there are some players out there that really does not want to mention anything about real life, or think about real life while they are playing the game. And for these people i can understand that its frustrating to have a corp/guild/cabal/whatever chat that is blinking because someone is talking about how they are feeling awful because they have the flu.
But saying that its only female gamers that do these things i can not agree with one bit.

But of course it is possible that when a guy whines about his wife not bringing his food fast enough its "ok", because thats just a man that is pointing out how lazy his wife is and can lead to some good stories on how other wifes/girlfriends are just as bad as his Blink

Now if what you are saying is the a female gamer can not be put in a situation where they are in charge of something because they will let their emotions affect their decisions...
Maybe to some extent, but i also think that this is a problem that both genders have.
If there is someone you dont like it does not matter if your a female or a male, you will treat that person differently. If there is a group of players you dont like males and females will treat that group differently.
But in most cases people will be able to recognize these emotions, and understand that they have to think about the issue beyond them selfes and their own personal opinions.

I will however admit that there has been times where i let my emotions have a bigger impact on my decisions while playing EVE as an example. If a recruit tries to join the corp and i dont like said recruit for one reason or another (something he said, how he worded him self, comments that makes me question his motives, or just seems to have a bad attitude and i have to question if he would be able to fit into the corp) i will reject his application.
Is it possible that i just turned down an awesome recruit that could have done a lot of good for the corp? Sure there is, but in some cases i prefer to let my emotions and "gut feeling" take control and trust that my feelings about that person is accurate Big smile


I guess I should of made a clarification.

It is a VERY vocal minority of women that act in that way, and a broad generalization sweeps all women under the same rug. These are the women that make their sole defining characteristic the fact they have a vagina and play games.

Stereotyping at it's finest.

However the onus is on the loudmouths to change not everyone else.
NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises
#33 - 2013-05-10 06:54:51 UTC
Cierejai wrote:

I guess I should of made a clarification.

It is a VERY vocal minority of women that act in that way, and a broad generalization sweeps all women under the same rug. These are the women that make their sole defining characteristic the fact they have a vagina and play games.

Stereotyping at it's finest.

However the onus is on the loudmouths to change not everyone else.


Or people could try to not put so much trust into stereotypes Lol

But yes i get what you are saying and im sure with there being less female gamers on average things like this gets pointed out and..escalated? more and thus enforcing the idea that all female players will act or think in the same way Smile
Pallidum Treponema
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition
#34 - 2013-05-10 09:37:17 UTC
Some of the women in gaming are more concerned with playing the game rather than being "women gamers". Case in point, I got booted from the WGoE channel in-game after fanfest because I couldn't be bother to do another TS Interview, despite having been in that channel for years and met several of the members in real life (including Fanfest 2013). I think it's great that the channel exists, but I personally paid little attention to it as most of its members didn't play eve at the same level as I do and I was more focused on playing the game.

Also, I can confirm that Seliine is the most feared housewife in EVE.

Agustice Arterius
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#35 - 2013-05-10 14:30:51 UTC
Should I expect an obligatory 15 minute segment about how hard it is for women in the video gaming world?

Should I expect a scene of a single mother just trying to make ends meet but can't because of glass ceilings in the industry?

Should I expect a segment where it talks about women being judge for their looks or voice in these games?

Should I expect a part about how they are always sexualised in these games, and as such leads to many becoming depressed?

Should I expect to feel terrible as a man after watching it?



Daradz Navagel
#36 - 2013-05-10 15:13:05 UTC
Agustice Arterius wrote:
Should I expect an obligatory 15 minute segment about how hard it is for women in the video gaming world?

Should I expect a scene of a single mother just trying to make ends meet but can't because of glass ceilings in the industry?

Should I expect a segment where it talks about women being judge for their looks or voice in these games?

Should I expect a part about how they are always sexualised in these games, and as such leads to many becoming depressed?

Should I expect to feel terrible as a man after watching it?
No one is making you watch it.
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#37 - 2013-05-10 19:53:22 UTC
NightCrawler 85 wrote:
Cierejai wrote:

I guess I should of made a clarification.

It is a VERY vocal minority of women that act in that way, and a broad generalization sweeps all women under the same rug. These are the women that make their sole defining characteristic the fact they have a vagina and play games.

Stereotyping at it's finest.

However the onus is on the loudmouths to change not everyone else.


Or people could try to not put so much trust into stereotypes Lol

But yes i get what you are saying and im sure with there being less female gamers on average things like this gets pointed out and..escalated? more and thus enforcing the idea that all female players will act or think in the same way Smile


lol

it's been my experience in my years of gaming that the more loudly and often a player proclaims to be a female, the more they attempt to manipulate for special treatment, the more they use innuendo as a weapon to gain advantage...the more likely it is that they have a **** and balls between their legs irl.

stereotyping may be unfair...but we must admit that they do exist for a reason.
Athena Olympia
Divine Angels
Divinity.
#38 - 2013-05-11 12:50:35 UTC
Pallidum Treponema wrote:
Some of the women in gaming are more concerned with playing the game rather than being "women gamers". Case in point, I got booted from the WGoE channel in-game after fanfest because I couldn't be bother to do another TS Interview, despite having been in that channel for years and met several of the members in real life (including Fanfest 2013). I think it's great that the channel exists, but I personally paid little attention to it as most of its members didn't play eve at the same level as I do and I was more focused on playing the game.

Also, I can confirm that Seliine is the most feared housewife in EVE.



Pallidum, thank you for the comments. The moderator team and membership met and felt that a "spring cleaning" was warranted. All members, including yourself were welcome to attend, email or post to the forums. We announced the spring cleaning and gave a month's notice. We waited until the last day of the month - two full weeks after the cutoff date was announced - to actually do the spring cleaning. There were moderators in attendance at FanFest, who could have vouched for you or any other woman wanting to join (and did assist those that actively wanted to be in the channel). In the four years I've been in the channel I can't recall ever seeing you in there, but there is a lot of names to keep track of to be fair.

Several eve mails were sent to the mailing list, put in the channel motd and listed on the WGOE forums. One of the main reasons for the cleaning was that through time accounts were sold that still maintained access. The entire moderator staff made themselves available to assist any women who wanted to remain in the channel.

The WGOE channel attracts both brand new players and old/experienced players. Due to this the conversations vary in content and we try to keep it free of politics. Most of the conversations are laid back and casual. Of course this can make it seem like the channel is filled with players who are not serious gamers, but if you show info on the members you will often see that they are members of well known alliances, or have a leadership position in their corps/alliances/coalitions. It is very understandable that some girls (yourself included) do not see the purpose or enjoyment of having access to WGOE, but there are those that do and we as moderators do our best to protect their privacy. Many women from the channel have commented that it's a nice break from the normal channels they are in; they can let their hair down so to speak. Being a serious gamer doesn't always mean you have to be serious all the time, and for some of the girls it's about being silly and laughing/blowing off steam with other women in the game.

I hope this clears up any confusion about the situation and the steps that were taken. It is not my desire to highjack this post or the discussions evolved from it so this will be the only time I offer an explanation. However, I did want to take the opportunity to clarify why things happened the way they did based on your post.

You are always welcome at WGOE - just join wgoe=public and any moderator can assist you.

Athena
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2013-05-11 12:57:19 UTC
Athena Olympia wrote:
Pallidum Treponema wrote:
Some of the women in gaming are more concerned with playing the game rather than being "women gamers". Case in point, I got booted from the WGoE channel in-game after fanfest because I couldn't be bother to do another TS Interview, despite having been in that channel for years and met several of the members in real life (including Fanfest 2013). I think it's great that the channel exists, but I personally paid little attention to it as most of its members didn't play eve at the same level as I do and I was more focused on playing the game.

Also, I can confirm that Seliine is the most feared housewife in EVE.



Pallidum, thank you for the comments. The moderator team and membership met and felt that a "spring cleaning" was warranted. All members, including yourself were welcome to attend, email or post to the forums. We announced the spring cleaning and gave a month's notice. We waited until the last day of the month - two full weeks after the cutoff date was announced - to actually do the spring cleaning. There were moderators in attendance at FanFest, who could have vouched for you or any other woman wanting to join (and did assist those that actively wanted to be in the channel). In the four years I've been in the channel I can't recall ever seeing you in there, but there is a lot of names to keep track of to be fair.

Several eve mails were sent to the mailing list, put in the channel motd and listed on the WGOE forums. One of the main reasons for the cleaning was that through time accounts were sold that still maintained access. The entire moderator staff made themselves available to assist any women who wanted to remain in the channel.

The WGOE channel attracts both brand new players and old/experienced players. Due to this the conversations vary in content and we try to keep it free of politics. Most of the conversations are laid back and casual. Of course this can make it seem like the channel is filled with players who are not serious gamers, but if you show info on the members you will often see that they are members of well known alliances, or have a leadership position in their corps/alliances/coalitions. It is very understandable that some girls (yourself included) do not see the purpose or enjoyment of having access to WGOE, but there are those that do and we as moderators do our best to protect their privacy. Many women from the channel have commented that it's a nice break from the normal channels they are in; they can let their hair down so to speak. Being a serious gamer doesn't always mean you have to be serious all the time, and for some of the girls it's about being silly and laughing/blowing off steam with other women in the game.

I hope this clears up any confusion about the situation and the steps that were taken. It is not my desire to highjack this post or the discussions evolved from it so this will be the only time I offer an explanation. However, I did want to take the opportunity to clarify why things happened the way they did based on your post.

You are always welcome at WGOE - just join wgoe=public and any moderator can assist you.

Athena


I just thought of something my wife could help me out with ShockedBig smile

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Previous page12