These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

[Odyssey Feedback Request] Team Super Friends - Probe Scanning and You

First post First post First post
Author
Klingon Admiral
Black Hole Cluster
#41 - 2013-05-08 18:22:28 UTC
Is CCP aware of the fact that the changes to the scanning skills will yield slightly improved results as skills are applied vie multiplication?

1.25² = 1.5625 > 1.5

Scanning will without doubt get a lot easier after Odyssey.
Elendar
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#42 - 2013-05-08 18:22:40 UTC
CCP Paradox wrote:
Honestly guys, I want feedback AFTER you have used the features. Not before!
Singularity will be up shortly.


Why 7 indeed?

When FCing i very often have two different sets of 4 out so i can be probing two areas at once (say the current objective/fight and a gate/additional objective i'm expecting a chance of combat on).

Is this a planned nerf to being able to setup for two locations in combat?
Huiron
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2013-05-08 18:22:42 UTC
Two step wrote:
Any chance you guys made it so that probe results can still be copied and pasted? A lot of wormhole 3rd party applications took advantage of that to quickly enter all the signatures in a system.


+1 on this.
And clearly you have the numbers behind the scene, so I guess it won't be too hard to allow them to show on ctrl-c.
iskflakes
#44 - 2013-05-08 18:25:55 UTC
A lot of people already seem to be annoyed about the probe limitation. Perhaps you could add a slider in the probing interface: "Number of probes to launch" and default it to 7? That way everybody is happy.

-

Red Frog Rufen
Red Frog Freight
Red-Frog
#45 - 2013-05-08 18:26:01 UTC
CCP Paradox wrote:

Saving formations is tricky, but we do really want to at least save the last formation you assembled the probes into. I cannot promise that for Odyssey at this stage, but we're working on it.


wasn't there an (illegal) hack that did this?


Alain Colcer
Nadire Security Consultants
#46 - 2013-05-08 18:28:17 UTC
To those who are asking, why this or that .....i strongly suggest you re-read CCP Paradox comment on a upcoming devblog.

Most explanations will be there for you to read.
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#47 - 2013-05-08 18:28:18 UTC
*insert comment concerning theme parks and boiling frogs*

no seriously, in my opinion probing was in a good state before; it left enough freedom for creative uses such as DSP and was deep enough so that there was room to improve and become a 'good' prober.

the old probing mechanics may or may not have been a little too tedious and the UI was a challenge, but the current solution is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. it's only one iteration away from 'press button X to scan the entire system'. in fact, a dedicated alt may be able to do just that: press one button to release all probes. press another button for the right formation, wait for scan results, see exactly the information you need.

I should buy an Ishtar.

blink alt
Doomheim
#48 - 2013-05-08 18:31:05 UTC
CCP Paradox wrote:
Honestly guys, I want feedback AFTER you have used the features. Not before!
Singularity will be up shortly.


Not having the new modules seeded is going to effect the first round of feedback quite a bit as well yes? I for one will not be able to give a good porition of feedback in good faith knowing there will be significant changes to my scan results with those modules that can not be used on the very first odyssey build on sisi.
Ueberlisk
The Hatchery
#49 - 2013-05-08 18:31:30 UTC
CCP Paradox wrote:

Saving formations is tricky, but we do really want to at least save the last formation you assembled the probes into. I cannot promise that for Odyssey at this stage, but we're working on it.


I can understand the problems with saving own presets but I can't understand why new system has to remove the ability to use previously acquired formations/tactics. Sounds like the whole system has really been rushed..

Can't you at least tie the "launch all the probes of all the worlds" to the formation button? People can still just ignore them and do stuff manually if they like.
Fonac
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#50 - 2013-05-08 18:33:56 UTC
CCP Paradox wrote:
Hello future Odyssey capsuleers!


Deep Space Probe removal
They have been removed from the game. All Deep Space probes will change into core scanner probes.



Exploration site signature changes[/b]
Unknown sites now display whether it is a Wormwhole or Combat site when you discover the group.
Signature Types have been changed to:
Combat Sites (from Unknown)
Wormhole (from Unknown)
Data Sites (from Radar)
Relic Sites (from Magnometric)
Gas Sites (from Ladar)
Ore Sites (from Gravimetric)



The removal of deep space probe make me extremely nervous this is in many ways a total destruction of exploration as we know it.

Because of this; http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/dsp/
and for the TLDR people; By doing a single probe scan, with a deep space probe, you can to _some_ extent identify the signatures worth scanning down.

Granted i haven't tried the new system yet, but if this little feature get removed, and there is no substitute, then the quote;"We dont want people to use more time on single player stuff" ... Makes no sense whatsoever, because this just means you will have to use much more time on a _very_ boring task; probing, because you can't identify what sigs are worth probing down.

There is nothing more annoying than scanning down a sig, only to find it's a crappy WH or mag site, which you have no interest in whatsoever....


Also fix respawning of plexes.. please :)
Ueberlisk
The Hatchery
#51 - 2013-05-08 18:36:14 UTC
Fonac wrote:
CCP Paradox wrote:
Hello future Odyssey capsuleers!


Deep Space Probe removal
They have been removed from the game. All Deep Space probes will change into core scanner probes.



Exploration site signature changes[/b]
Unknown sites now display whether it is a Wormwhole or Combat site when you discover the group.
Signature Types have been changed to:
Combat Sites (from Unknown)
Wormhole (from Unknown)
Data Sites (from Radar)
Relic Sites (from Magnometric)
Gas Sites (from Ladar)
Ore Sites (from Gravimetric)



The removal of deep space probe make me extremely nervous this is in many ways a total destruction of exploration as we know it.

Because of this; http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/dsp/
and for the TLDR people; By doing a single probe scan, with a deep space probe, you can to _some_ extent identify the signatures worth scanning down.

Granted i haven't tried the new system yet, but if this little feature get removed, and there is no substitute, then the quote;"We dont want people to use more time on single player stuff" ... Makes no sense whatsoever, because this just means you will have to use much more time on a _very_ boring task; probing, because you can't identify what sigs are worth probing down.

There is nothing more annoying than scanning down a sig, only to find it's a crappy WH or mag site, which you have no interest in whatsoever....


Also fix respawning of plexes.. please :)


It works the almost the same way with combat probes. You are just slightly limited with system size. I've been doing this with combats for years.
Elinea Ausene
Tail Spin Corp
Proxima Centauri Alliance
#52 - 2013-05-08 18:36:37 UTC
plz don't remove deep core probes. it is not the most broken thing in the game.
Omnathious Deninard
Ministry of Silly Walks.
#53 - 2013-05-08 18:37:59 UTC
CCP Paradox wrote:
Honestly guys, I want feedback AFTER you have used the features. Not before!
Singularity will be up shortly.

Where is the fun of ACTUALLY testing something speculation is so much fun.Twisted

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Ueberlisk
The Hatchery
#54 - 2013-05-08 18:38:24 UTC
Another thing that comes into my mind is that CCP could do bunch of probe presets from which you could choose. If technical issues are hard to work out.
monkfish2345
Trash Pandas of Kaunokka
#55 - 2013-05-08 18:38:47 UTC
CCP Paradox wrote:




  • This is now a starting skill, all new characters receive this at Level 1
  • Does not alter ability to launch probes, all players can now launch 7 probes.
  • Added +5% scan strength, -5% max scan deviation and -0.5 sec scan time per level

]



so combat scanning is going to be even faster now? Please tell me something was done to stop on grid probing atleast?
Fonac
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#56 - 2013-05-08 18:39:11 UTC
Ueberlisk wrote:
Fonac wrote:
CCP Paradox wrote:
Hello future Odyssey capsuleers!


Deep Space Probe removal
They have been removed from the game. All Deep Space probes will change into core scanner probes.



Exploration site signature changes[/b]
Unknown sites now display whether it is a Wormwhole or Combat site when you discover the group.
Signature Types have been changed to:
Combat Sites (from Unknown)
Wormhole (from Unknown)
Data Sites (from Radar)
Relic Sites (from Magnometric)
Gas Sites (from Ladar)
Ore Sites (from Gravimetric)



The removal of deep space probe make me extremely nervous this is in many ways a total destruction of exploration as we know it.

Because of this; http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/dsp/
and for the TLDR people; By doing a single probe scan, with a deep space probe, you can to _some_ extent identify the signatures worth scanning down.

Granted i haven't tried the new system yet, but if this little feature get removed, and there is no substitute, then the quote;"We dont want people to use more time on single player stuff" ... Makes no sense whatsoever, because this just means you will have to use much more time on a _very_ boring task; probing, because you can't identify what sigs are worth probing down.

There is nothing more annoying than scanning down a sig, only to find it's a crappy WH or mag site, which you have no interest in whatsoever....


Also fix respawning of plexes.. please :)


It works the almost the same way with combat probes. You are just slightly limited with system size. I've been doing this with combats for years.


I'm glad to hear that!
Omnathious Deninard
Ministry of Silly Walks.
#57 - 2013-05-08 18:40:17 UTC
monkfish2345 wrote:
CCP Paradox wrote:




  • This is now a starting skill, all new characters receive this at Level 1
  • Does not alter ability to launch probes, all players can now launch 7 probes.
  • Added +5% scan strength, -5% max scan deviation and -0.5 sec scan time per level

]



so combat scanning is going to be even faster now? Please tell me something was done to stop on grid probing atleast?

Don't forget that the scanning support skill strength are being cut in half.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

XXSketchxx
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#58 - 2013-05-08 18:41:00 UTC
Fonac wrote:

The removal of deep space probe make me extremely nervous this is in many ways a total destruction of exploration as we know it.


Its not destruction of exploration at all you cry baby. You will just have to go back to probing like we did before everyone and their mother had deep space probes.
Ueberlisk
The Hatchery
#59 - 2013-05-08 18:41:37 UTC
monkfish2345 wrote:
CCP Paradox wrote:




  • This is now a starting skill, all new characters receive this at Level 1
  • Does not alter ability to launch probes, all players can now launch 7 probes.
  • Added +5% scan strength, -5% max scan deviation and -0.5 sec scan time per level

]



so combat scanning is going to be even faster now? Please tell me something was done to stop on grid probing atleast?


They nerfed probing supports from 10% per level to 5% and moved those 5% under astrometrics skill.
MainDrain
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2013-05-08 18:41:58 UTC
blink alt wrote:
CCP Paradox wrote:

Probes now instantly recall on system jump or station dock


I overlooked this the first time I read the post, thank you so much! NO PROBE LEFT BEHIND!


Will there be option to disable this, its nice to set up probes, jump out, jump back and reconnect and pin someone down quickly