These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Clarification on Electus Matari actions in Federation space today

First post
Author
Jorden Ishonen
Doomheim
#121 - 2013-07-03 18:47:07 UTC
Makkal Hanaya wrote:
Dame Death wrote:
We all get fracked up orders, but as warriors and soldiers "Ours not to make reply, Ours not to question why, ours but to do and die..."

For common soldiers, yes. For officers, no.

In what bizarre world is a fleet commander expected to unquestioningly follow orders?

Of all those who possibly be given an illegal order, you would think that capsuleers would more likely to refuse. What with being outside the formal command structure and all.

But hey, they were just following orders. Nothing wrong with that. Right?
Shintoko Akahoshi
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#122 - 2013-07-04 01:13:36 UTC
Ultimately, it's up to individual capsuleers to decide whether or not to follow such orders. In Electus Matari's case it's a little unclear, as multiple spokespeople for EM have stated that they participated in the attack because they both chose to support the Republic Fleet and because they swore oaths to do so, yet several EM spokespeople also hinted that this support may not be blindly given in the future. I think it's safe to assume that the choice they made at the time the Republic opened fire is the choice they will continue to make.

Bio and writing

(Nothing I say is indicative of corporate policy unless otherwise stated)

Telemicus Thrace
Lucky Fedo Trading Co.
#123 - 2013-07-04 08:47:24 UTC
Ah Elsebeth, after all these years I find you facing a bitter pill from the Republic I now serve. How things change yet remain the same.

I feel for you in this. I once faced an order I could not in good conscience follow, I decided to throw in my lot with an idealistic Fleet Commander by the name of Karishal Muritor. I'm sure you recollect those days. Perhaps you now understand the choices and actions I took did not come lightly.

I do not envy you the position you find yourself in. As a Matari you must do what is right for the tribe and the Elders, that is our nature. Exactly what that right action is? That is something you must decide, that is the hard part.
Jorden Ishonen
Doomheim
#124 - 2013-07-04 09:15:56 UTC
An alliance is essentially an oath of support between governments. No matter what, anyone put in EM's situation is facing a dilemma: break their oath to follow orders, or break the Republic's oath of friendship to the Federation. They chose the latter option, and in my opinion, the wrong one. Maybe it's easier to see that from where I'm standing, my people just finished learning how blindly following the orders of a single man at the top can lead to ruin. Though, even for all his hatred and idiocy, that man never ordered our forces to attack our allies.
Caellach Marellus
Stormcrows
#125 - 2013-07-04 11:13:05 UTC
There's nothing in Electus Matari's oath about blindly following orders that undermine the Republic's position with their allies and wastes thousands of lives in the process on both sides.

"Following orders" is a bullshit lie one tells themselves in a vain attempt to try and feel better for doing something they knew was wrong.

When your gut instincts tell you something is wrong, trust them. When your heart tells you something is right, ignore it, check with your brain first. Accept nothing, challenge everything.

Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#126 - 2013-07-04 14:25:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Ava Starfire
Ah, this again. And look, the same tired accusations and holier than thou tripe are being thrown around.

I was second in command of the Electus Matari fleet in Coleile.

Command fell to me, once Elsebeth Rhiannon's vessel was destroyed.

No one "ordered" me to remain on the field. I made that decision to keep my fleet in the fight, and gave the order to my fleet to continue the engagement.

Electus Matari DID receive very direct orders from the Fleet to assist in the operation. It was not my decision to follow those orders, though, had I been in overall command from the beginning, I would have done no differently than my superior.

I regret my part in that attack, and I wish none of us had been there. We were. It is past.

If the situation repeated itself? I would still stand and fight alongside my brothers and sisters.

We were well aware that the attack was a blunder, and that the battle was a losing proposition. We could either abandon our kin, many of whom were NOT in a position to choose their fate, the normal crew aboard the vessels involved, or we could stand beside them.

We chose to follow that order, because it was the only real "choice".

Enjoy the view from your unassailable ivory towers. No one gives a damn about your condemnation. Have a nice day.

Elsebeth is taking a well deserved break, and tending to the many duties that have befallen those within our Tribe - like her - who must cope with the fallout of Midular's death.

All complaints/questions/comments can be directed to... well, you can shove them, to be honest.

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

Caellach Marellus
Stormcrows
#127 - 2013-07-04 14:31:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Caellach Marellus
Your explanation doesn't challenge my point, if anything it reinforces it.

You* had a choice, you had the choice to refuse, to point out the folly of what was a stupid idea. You had the chance to make a stand and point out what they were suggesting was a step too far, you had the chance to put doubt in their mind as to the logical nature of their actions.

You had a chance to prevent it in your hands, and you chose not to.

* I will note "you" here is not the personal, but toward the organisation. Except for whoever made the call, that person can take credit for the choice made.

When your gut instincts tell you something is wrong, trust them. When your heart tells you something is right, ignore it, check with your brain first. Accept nothing, challenge everything.

Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#128 - 2013-07-04 14:33:26 UTC
Caellach Marellus wrote:
Your explanation doesn't change my point, if anything it reinforces it.

You* had a choice, you had the choice to refuse, to point out the folly of what was a stupid idea. You had the chance to make a stand and point out what they were suggesting was a step too far, you had the chance to put doubt in their mind as to the logical nature of their actions.

You had a chance to prevent it in your hands, and you chose not to.

* I will note "you" here is not the personal, but toward the organisation. Except for whoever made the call, that person can take credit for the choice made.

I think you completely missed the point.

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

Caellach Marellus
Stormcrows
#129 - 2013-07-04 14:40:18 UTC
Ava Starfire wrote:

I think you completely missed the point.

That you justify it being the only choice because of sentimental reasons?

Stupid people will continue to make bad decisions as long as others constantly chase after them to bail them out, rather than let them make the mistake and learn from it.

Jorden Ishonen
Doomheim
#130 - 2013-07-04 15:19:49 UTC
Ava Starfire wrote:
Ah, this again. And look, the same tired accusations and holier than thou tripe are being thrown around.

I was second in command of the Electus Matari fleet in Coleile.

Command fell to me, once Elsebeth Rhiannon's vessel was destroyed.

No one "ordered" me to remain on the field. I made that decision to keep my fleet in the fight, and gave the order to my fleet to continue the engagement.

Electus Matari DID receive very direct orders from the Fleet to assist in the operation. It was not my decision to follow those orders, though, had I been in overall command from the beginning, I would have done no differently than my superior.

I regret my part in that attack, and I wish none of us had been there. We were. It is past.

If the situation repeated itself? I would still stand and fight alongside my brothers and sisters.

We were well aware that the attack was a blunder, and that the battle was a losing proposition. We could either abandon our kin, many of whom were NOT in a position to choose their fate, the normal crew aboard the vessels involved, or we could stand beside them.

Enjoy the view from your unassailable ivory towers. No one gives a damn about your condemnation. Have a nice day.

Elsebeth is taking a well deserved break, and tending to the many duties that have befallen those within our Tribe - like her - who must cope with the fallout of Midular's death.

All complaints/questions/comments can be directed to... well, you can shove them, to be honest.

re·gret
[ri-gret] verb, re·gret·ted, re·gret·ting, noun
verb (used with object)
1. to feel remorse for (an act, fault, disappointment, etc.): He no sooner spoke than he regretted it.

You do not feel regret, pilot. Not if you would do the same thing over again. Regret implies that you see that you did something wrong and would change it if you could.

Fighting alongside the dying Republic vessels did nothing but kill more crew: those aboard your own ships, aboard the Federation ships. Had you suicided your pods in space next to the dying Republic vessels, I think the gesture would have been understood and you would have been cloned as always. But instead, you had your own crews give the only life they had...as a gesture. And that is not even considering the Federations ships you helped destroy, men and women committing no greater crime that defending their homeland from a gutless sneak attack by supposed allies. Would you kill them again too?

There is also a difference between abandoning your kin, and not supporting what you know to be a disastrous decision for both sides. As capsuleers, unbound by formal chain of command, you have the ability to actually help guide your nation away from mistakes like Colelie. You have influence that you could have invoked. Instead, you pretend you had no choice in the matter.

The entire rest of the cluster views you with disdain for your actions, and instead of trying to pick up the pieces, you're grinding them into the dust with an arrogance that would make an Amarrian slavedriver proud. Well done.
Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#131 - 2013-07-04 15:42:49 UTC
You are all reeeeally missing the point here.

I had a choice, I outright said I did.

I followed the order, and pressed on the attack, because it was the least distasteful option available to me at the time. I would not abandon my kin to their deaths, regardless of what any of you think of me. I dont want your approval.

Oh, the whole cluster has disdain for me, because I didnt do what they would do. Woe is me.

I love how people put words in my mouth and emotions in my heart, and have NO concept of why me, Elsebeth, and others participated in the attack anyway.

I have given my reasons. The fact that you do not accept them really isnt my problem.

Scherezad
Revenent Defence Corperation
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#132 - 2013-07-04 15:45:54 UTC
Jorden Ishonen wrote:
re·gret
verb (used with object)
1. to feel remorse for (an act, fault, disappointment, etc.): He no sooner spoke than he regretted it.

You do not feel regret, pilot. Not if you would do the same thing over again. Regret implies that you see that you did something wrong and would change it if you could.

I do not know very much about Matari honour, and will not pretend to speak on their feelings. But to me, at least, the pointed part of honour is to be driven to take an action which one may regret. One may take this action again, still, should the same situation arise once more, and the remorse will be just as valid and heartfelt.

This is something I think the honourable person deeply understands. My heart goes out to you Matari who were driven by love of kin and a rashly-acting Chief to take an action you despised. It is my hope that your friends in the Federation can learn why you took this action, and why you would take it again. That understanding will be the key to rebuilding trust and your alliance, both.
Jorden Ishonen
Doomheim
#133 - 2013-07-04 16:03:15 UTC
Scherezad wrote:
Jorden Ishonen wrote:
re·gret
verb (used with object)

I do not know very much about Matari honour, and will not pretend to speak on their feelings. But to me, at least, the pointed part of honour is to be driven to take an action which one may regret. One may take this action again, still, should the same situation arise once more, and the remorse will be just as valid and heartfelt.

This is something I think the honourable person deeply understands. My heart goes out to you Matari who were driven by love of kin and a rashly-acting Chief to take an action you despised. It is my hope that your friends in the Federation can learn why you took this action, and why you would take it again. That understanding will be the key to rebuilding trust and your alliance, both.

If your superior explicitly commands you to commit a dishonorable act, how can you possibly call obeying honorable? You can say that there is no honorable choice available, and that is true. In such cases, choosing the path of least dishonor is considered ideal...and that means choosing to disobey a dishonorable order. Admiral Yanala demonstrated this at the most recent battle of Caldari Prime. It appears the Republic does not have the same moral fortitude.

Quote:

Quote:

If someone says they only have one "real" choice, that is generally the usage of "I had no choice." Very rarely does someone literally have only one option left to them, especially with the "Self destruct" button always handy while in pod.

Scherezad
Revenent Defence Corperation
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#134 - 2013-07-04 17:10:44 UTC
The revered Admiral was ordered to betray her kin by destroying the homeworld of the Caldari people. She chose to stand with her people, as was honourable and just. She died in the defense of her people.

The brave warriors of Electus Matari were posed with the choice of abandoning their kin to face the Moros or fighting alongside them, doomed though they might be for engaging and damned thought that they might be for engaging their allies. They chose to stand with their people, as was honourable and just. They died in the defense of their people.

They are not perfectly analogous, but they are analogous enough that I think I understand. I hope that you can understand also.
Jorden Ishonen
Doomheim
#135 - 2013-07-04 17:58:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Jorden Ishonen
Scherezad wrote:
The revered Admiral was ordered to betray her kin by destroying the homeworld of the Caldari people. She chose to stand with her people, as was honourable and just. She died in the defense of her people.

The brave warriors of Electus Matari were posed with the choice of abandoning their kin to face the Moros or fighting alongside them, doomed though they might be for engaging and damned thought that they might be for engaging their allies. They chose to stand with their people, as was honourable and just. They died in the defense of their people.

They are not perfectly analogous, but they are analogous enough that I think I understand. I hope that you can understand also.

When the Admiral was ordered to destroy the homeworld, it was to deny it to the Gallente, and burn all Gallente on the planet alive, with the Caldari living there being a sacrifice. She refused, because she saw that this bloodshed was pointless, even if it served the defense of our people in denying a total Federation victory.

When Electus Matari was ordered to destroy their allies, to pointlessly sacrifice their own crew members and needlessly destroy those defending their own home, they did not make the same choice Yanala did: to limit further bloodshed. They aggravated the situation, and continue to do so. I don't see this as honorable or worthy of praise.

While not a light choice to make, it is obvious to anyone who knew anything of Midular's pursuit of peace that she would have been horrified of this atrocity being committed in her name.
Jelani Akinyemi Affonso
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#136 - 2013-07-04 18:12:03 UTC
Ava Starfire wrote:
You are all reeeeally missing the point here.

I followed the order, and pressed on the attack, because it was the least distasteful option available to me at the time. I would not abandon my kin to their deaths, regardless of what any of you think of me. I dont want your approval.

Oh, the whole cluster has disdain for me, because I didnt do what they would do. Woe is me.

I love how people put words in my mouth and emotions in my heart, and have NO concept of why me, Elsebeth, and others participated in the attack anyway.

I have given my reasons. The fact that you do not accept them really isnt my problem.

I think it would be best if you and many others stop responding to them.

They are bitter and have already made up their mind and chosen to be close minded about it, nothing you can do or say will change that fact. Short of taking their positions and joining their ranks.

You will cause yourself more stress by arguing with them. Best to let bygones be bygones.

And thank you to Scherezad for your understanding.
Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#137 - 2013-07-04 21:17:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Elsebeth Rhiannon
Telemicus Thrace wrote:
Ah Elsebeth, after all these years I find you facing a bitter pill from the Republic I now serve. How things change yet remain the same.

I feel for you in this. I once faced an order I could not in good conscience follow, I decided to throw in my lot with an idealistic Fleet Commander by the name of Karishal Muritor. I'm sure you recollect those days. Perhaps you now understand the choices and actions I took did not come lightly.

I do not envy you the position you find yourself in. As a Matari you must do what is right for the tribe and the Elders, that is our nature. Exactly what that right action is? That is something you must decide, that is the hard part.

Hi Thrace.

Long time. I've missed you, despite all. And the irony does not escape me, I assure you.

You are mistaken in one thing: I never thought you made the choices you did lightly, or took joy in them. But how hard something is to do is not a measure of how right or wrong it is.

I still believe we need a unified Republic and cannot afford a civil war. I still hold to my oath, though there is no one to hold it now.

Elsebeth

EDITed to add: PS. You have mail.
Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#138 - 2013-07-04 21:24:21 UTC
To the rest of you: I have said what I have to say on this matter. I do not think I need to justify myself to the IGS. What I've done, I've done, and actions speak louder than words.

Elsebeth
Shintoko Akahoshi
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#139 - 2013-07-04 21:46:26 UTC
Elsebeth Rhiannon wrote:
To the rest of you: I have said what I have to say on this matter. I do not think I need to justify myself to the IGS. What I've done, I've done, and actions speak louder than words.

Elsebeth

Which is exactly why I continue to argue for a dissolution of the Republic-Federation alliance.

Bio and writing

(Nothing I say is indicative of corporate policy unless otherwise stated)

Gosakumori Noh
Coven of One
#140 - 2013-07-04 22:20:56 UTC
Shintoko Akahoshi wrote:
Which is exactly why I continue to argue for a dissolution of the Republic-Federation alliance.

A toast! May the Federation come to its senses!