These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

EVE Solo Players

Author
Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#81 - 2013-05-02 00:48:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Varius Xeral
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Varius Xeral wrote:
That doesn't mean we don't support changes that hamper your playstyle.


So to borrow from my sig... So you hate the way I play and it makes you cry like a baby?

I suppose I should enjoy your tears while it lasts.


No, it means precisely the opposite. Play however you want, I could not care less.

The fact that a change benefits or hinders you means nothing to me.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#82 - 2013-05-02 01:02:57 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Varius Xeral wrote:
That doesn't mean we don't support changes that hamper your playstyle.


So to borrow from my sig... So you hate the way I play and it makes you cry like a baby?

I suppose I should enjoy your tears while it lasts.


No, it means precisely the opposite. Play however you want, I could not care less.

The fact that a change benefits or hinders you means nothing to me.


I don't know. The desire to see the way I play the game changed seems to mean a hatred towards how I play the game.

So you don't care how I feel, but you just feel strongly about what I do and it makes you get all mad and run to the forums saying "I don't like how the game is played this way! Waaah! Change it! Or else!"

Seriously, if you didn't care, why are you replying to me? Seems that you do.

Should I lick you face to get a gulp of those tasty tears of your demanding the game to be changed to suit yoru personal viewpoints?

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#83 - 2013-05-02 01:20:37 UTC
Nope. I begrudge no player who plays the game within the eula and tos.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#84 - 2013-05-02 01:31:09 UTC
i find myself playing "solo" more lately. though i'm never really alone because i am constantly talking in channels or sometimes comms and getting interaction that way.

but i play solo a lot because i do a lot of exploration and stuff....and don't like to share my isk making sites. Cool
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#85 - 2013-05-02 01:37:27 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
Nope. I begrudge no player who plays the game within the eula and tos.



And I will quote you
Varius Xeral wrote:
That doesn't mean we don't support changes that hamper your playstyle.


So you want my playstyle to go away because it doesn't suit your tastes... I'm pretty sure that is a sign you hate that aspect of the game and therefore hate the way those players play the game.

Again, I can only see this as you being mad and angry about how others play the game because you don't want them to play the game in that way. So you come to the forums and put up a fuss about how X gameplay mechanic should be changed because of your personal opinion that no one should play the game like that.

I mean why would you want to hamper other player's playstyle if you didn't hate the way they played?

So mad. Its so sad.

Keep replying. I enjoy your excuses.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#86 - 2013-05-02 01:42:21 UTC
It's not the same. People respond to the rules and incentives they are faced with, and as long as they're playing within the rules of the game, how they respond to those rules and incetives is totally up to them. That doesn't mean that the rules and incentives with which we all are faced, including myself, cannot be improved from my perspective. If my perspective comes at the cost of how someone else chooses to respond, too bad for them. I still care as little about how they play as I did before, which is nothing.

Unless you have something new to add this is my last response, as I feel I've made myself more than clear.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#87 - 2013-05-02 01:53:50 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
It's not the same. People respond to the rules and incentives they are faced with, and as long as they're playing within the rules of the game, how they respond to those rules and incetives is totally up to them. That doesn't mean that the rules and incentives with which we all are faced, including myself, cannot be improved from my perspective. If my perspective comes at the cost of how someone else chooses to respond, too bad for them. I still care as little about how they play as I did before, which is nothing.

Unless you have something new to add this is my last response, as I feel I've made myself more than clear.

I'm not sure how a person who doesn't care how others play can even have an opinion on game changes. Having an opinion on changes to how people interact evidences an opinion on various types of interaction or lack thereof. You may not care how an individual plays persay, but you would have to find a certain interaction or means of avoiding it undesirable, thus you clearly do have some concern regarding our activities collectively.
Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#88 - 2013-05-02 02:00:23 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:
I'm not sure how a person who doesn't care how others play can even have an opinion on game changes. Having an opinion on changes to how people interact evidences an opinion on various types of interaction or lack thereof. You may not care how an individual plays persay, but you would have to find a certain interaction or means of avoiding it undesirable, thus you clearly do have some concern regarding our activities collectively.


Absolutely. I care how the rules and incentives affect me, which other players may be the vessel for, but I don't begrudge the players because they are merely playing the game as I am, which is as best suits them. Therefore, I do not care how others play.

Not complicated.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#89 - 2013-05-02 04:15:35 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:


I don't know. I've seen a lot of mad players demand that NPC corps be nerfed. I don't care either way. I'm only one step away from running everything in a one man corp. But many of you seem like you want me to join an alliance and kowtow to the powers that be. Its as if there is a group of players are just incensed at the fact player plays solo.


That's conflating issues. Being in an NPC corp isn't a "playstyle".

I don't like NPC corps because they artifically insolate players for consequneces other players have to deal with for very little cost. That's a game balance issue, not a play style issue. Pve vs pve, thats an example of a play style issue.

And none of us who think veteraqn players hiding in NPC corps is unfair care where the players go (whether it's to a one man corp or some big alliance) so long as they are then exposed to the same situations everyone else in high sec are. Even within npc corps, npc corps are unfair (mission runners and explorers pay taxes, miners and haulers don't).

Wishing for equitible situations among customers isn't "caring about how someone plays or where in space they live". My dislike of npc corps is philosophical I would dislike Unicorns crapping isk just as much.

Quote:

As long as you say "I don't care about NPC corps and solo players" then we're all cool. Its just that I have seen the opposite on many occasions. As long as playing solo is viable, I'll keep playing. Who knows, I might have a seperate account with a SA forum account just waiting for the 3 months so I can get in.


You have a very warped way of seeing things.
Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#90 - 2013-05-02 04:22:20 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

I'm not sure how a person who doesn't care how others play can even have an opinion on game changes.


Very easily. How someone plays and issues with game rules are seperate things.

I don't know of one person who cares that I do incursions or faciton warfare (no one ever snet me a mail saying "yo dude, FW missioning is all "alternative lifestyle" and you shouldn't do it).

They (and I) DID care what the former inbalances those things had did to the game, which is why they got nerfed (bad for me personally,good for the game in general). Just because i liked to farm FW LP doesn't mean that was good for the game.

Some people are so bloody self centered that they can't imagine a situation that is good for them could need nerfing. CCP is about to nerf my beloved Forsaken Hubs in oddessy, and eventualy they are gonna nerf my even more beloved Machariel (they've already said so). I don't LIKE it, but I accept it as just the way it has to be.

Many many people couldn't imagine saying what I just typed lol.
Aralieus
Shadowbane Syndicate
#91 - 2013-05-02 04:59:19 UTC
I like Eve hard-mode Twisted

In all seriousness I don't have the time it takes to commit to a corp at a level that I myself would find acceptable with RL constraints. My log in time is sporadic at best and even then I just want to get going with whatever it is I want to do in the universe and not have any hold-ups, it's not so much a lack of patience but a lack of available time and effort to give. I have actually grown fond of being solo 90% of the time, roaming thru system after system looking for a juicy fight all the while avoiding traps, blobs and hot-drops. I have got quite good at surviving in some of the most treacherous parts of the Eve universe and have learned things that you just can't get when your locked down in a corp and have responsibilities in it. I have flown in fleets with over 500 players and fleets with as little as two and I have always learned more in smaller fleets so when your solo and there is no safety net, no back-up, and no second chances everything little thing you do matters and for some strange twisted reason I love that. The rush is unmatched by anything else I have experienced in Eve.

At any rate the main reasons I fly solo is time and I like the thrill of me against the universe.

Oderint Dum Metuant

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#92 - 2013-05-02 05:18:00 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Who knows, I might have a seperate account with a SA forum account just waiting for the 3 months so I can get in.

I'm fairly sure people can tell when your sole purpose for dropping :tenbux: and posting on SA is to join Goons. I highly doubt they take kindly to such behavior.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Elysium Foxx
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#93 - 2013-05-02 05:47:40 UTC
I also enjoy playing with myself.

No, seriously, I REALLY enjoy playing with myself !
lollerwaffle
Perkone
Caldari State
#94 - 2013-05-02 06:08:14 UTC  |  Edited by: lollerwaffle
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Varius Xeral wrote:
Nope. I begrudge no player who plays the game within the eula and tos.



And I will quote you
Varius Xeral wrote:
That doesn't mean we don't support changes that hamper your playstyle.


So you want my playstyle to go away because it doesn't suit your tastes... I'm pretty sure that is a sign you hate that aspect of the game and therefore hate the way those players play the game.

Again, I can only see this as you being mad and angry about how others play the game because you don't want them to play the game in that way. So you come to the forums and put up a fuss about how X gameplay mechanic should be changed because of your personal opinion that no one should play the game like that.

I mean why would you want to hamper other player's playstyle if you didn't hate the way they played?

So mad. Its so sad.

Keep replying. I enjoy your excuses.


Oh wow, you're so desperate to play the victim card that reading comprehension goes straight out the window.

Actually, English might not be your first language so I can see where you might have trouble there. In any case, never stop trying to reap nonexistent tears Big smile

Well played, good troll etc.etc. I fell for it.

Edit: Back on topic, I agree with posters above in that I don't think many people have problems with Solo Players as such. I'll pull a number out of my arse and say that at some point or another, almost 100% of the players in this game have logged on, done something solo for a bit and logged back off with almost minimal interaction with anyone else.

More people seem to take issue with the fact that some self-proclaimed 'solo players' will:
1. ***** and moan when other people interact with them whether its the violent or non-violent type. This includes the self-victimization card of "It's a sandbox, I should be allowed to play the way I want, no one should be able to interfere with the way I do it" For an example, see the quoted poster.

I would argue that everyone has a right to play the way the want, and should be prepared to defend their way of life should someone set on disrupting it come into their life.

2. Complain that CCP is leaving them out in the cold with X change or X expansion.

I'd argue that the rewards for group play should be greater than solo play. Not to say that solo content should be nerfed to the point that it's not worth running. However, this comes down to entitlement issues that many players will have, which isn't limited to just carebears. Often, players are seen requesting a buff to this or that, and after some balancing by CCP seem happy for a while, until they notice that other people are making more money/isk/rewards. And so the cycle continues.

3. Claim to 'leave if CCP doesn't do X'
You often see players, especially type 2 above, complain and moan that they will leave the game for whatever reason. However, these players generally do not follow through on their so-called 'threats'. All these posts serve to do are to make them look silly.

tl;dr Do what you want, just stop bitching about it if things don't go your way.
Angang Ostus
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#95 - 2013-05-02 06:18:51 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Most of those people who say "this is a multiplayer game go back to WoW" are the ones who tend to take glee in ganking, scamming, etc. and exhibit an inability to get over themselves.


The rest of the players, regardless of what the do, do whatever they want, and don't care what anybody else does. They might play in groups, they might play solo, they probably do both..

Most important of all, they don't sit there saying "Eve is...." and then try to adhere to it like some kind of religion.

Self-interest and not giving a rats ass what anybody thinks - that's a sandbox. That's also an exercise in liberty.

Sometimes I suspect that the "Eve is... and therefore all must adhere to it" crowd are the kids who grew up watching too many political speeches where they were sold on the virtues of seeking out causes "greater than themselves". Well, whatever one's opinion on any cause, I doubt a video game is one of them.



To get all zen on ya, EVE is what it is, exactly where it needs to be and every player is a part of that, and part of the crazy evolution of the community. Compared to other netizens EVE players are way deeper into the workings of the game and how to use it to create what we want. What we need from CCP is more tools for that to make it an even more dynamic world, and they seem to focusing on that, especially CCP Seagull. Love that girl. Just had that "game is in good hands" feeling when she was talking.

Solo or groupy, the thing to do is just dive into the game and follow your interests and instincts. Don't get hooked by one thing. Just explore the game. And you'll find what EVE is...heheh
Angang Ostus
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#96 - 2013-05-02 06:32:50 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
And as far as the state of PvE is concerned Angang Ostus... the problem with creating whole new PvE content that people can run by themselves is that it will be mapped out and become repetitive in the space of 6 months or less. Then the DEVs are back at square one. Rinse and repeat.


Oh I hear you. Nature of the beast. I just think time is a factor and some current content has gotten dusty. It's time for the "Rinse" part of the cycle. I believe there does need to be a cycle of PVE iteration and refreshing. It would be healthy for the game. It need not even be every year. I think what we're feeling now is the pressure (or enui) from that dust buildup.

ShahFluffers wrote:
Whether some like it or not... content that encourages group interaction and conflict is the way this game is going to evolve... simply because it's more future proof than anything else. It's also FAR more entertaining.


Yeah EVE is real heheh. It keeps getting better and better.
Angang Ostus
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#97 - 2013-05-02 06:34:38 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
I'll have to admit. My main money maker is in an NPC corp. I sometimes interact with people, but always at arms length... With a 10 foot pole.

I suppose saying this will make someone invariably mad as they claim that NPC corps are the bane of EVE's existence.

I suppose I could join someone else's corp but then I would have to deal with corp taxes, asshatery, wardec's, and awoxing.

I suppose then you could cry and whine on the forums til the dev's forced everyone out of NPC corps, but then I'd just start a one man corp and disband every time someone war dec's me.

Sometimes putting up with other people is too much work.


Go nuts, nobody actually cares what you DO; we just care when you cry on the forums as the box you put yourself in gets smaller and smaller.


Good for those True Stories. "Jita Fever"
Angang Ostus
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#98 - 2013-05-02 06:43:57 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
I don't know. I've seen a lot of mad players demand that NPC corps be nerfed. I don't care either way. I'm only one step away from running everything in a one man corp. But many of you seem like you want me to join an alliance and kowtow to the powers that be. Its as if there is a group of players are just incensed at the fact player plays solo.

As long as you say "I don't care about NPC corps and solo players" then we're all cool. Its just that I have seen the opposite on many occasions. As long as playing solo is viable, I'll keep playing. Who knows, I might have a seperate account with a SA forum account just waiting for the 3 months so I can get in.


Nonono, we don't care that you refuse to play interactively. That doesn't mean we don't support changes that hamper your playstyle.

Not caring what YOU do, does not equate to not caring how the game is structured.

I fully support the removal of NPC corps given that the few essentials they provide (new player stuff) is handled by new (better) mechanisms. I don't care whether that's a burden or boon to YOU.


You should be able to wardec NPC corps and pursue wartargets into systems that have security level equal to or lesser than your corp's standings with that NPC corp. Of course your corp then loses standings with the NPC corp, and the rate of that can be carefully set by CCP. Adds a whole new huge dimension into high sec PVP! What do you guys think?

(Oh and NPC corp members could know what systems they're safe in just by checking your corp's standings with theirs! AND it could serve as a great way to give noobs an urgent reason to join a player corp. OMG somebody from CCP please read this!)
Tub Chil
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#99 - 2013-05-02 07:00:10 UTC
I play solo in my one man corp because sometimes i can't play for prolonged periods and corps require more dedication.
I basically go for roams in back rise, scan systems with some WT-s, go to plex and sit there. or attack WT's plex.
if they fight me fine, if not i get LP anyway.

I think FW has best environment for solo play, people fly mostly frigates and most of the time you can find a fight.

Solo play does not give you advantage, people try to blob you, many people will engage only if they feel they have superior ship, KB goes to crap etc. but it's not that bad.
Wacktopia
Noir.
The Network.
#100 - 2013-05-02 08:27:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Wacktopia
Davis TetrisKing wrote:
Recently I've noticed a bit more emphasis on the forums about players who play eve 'solo'. From my impression from the forums people tend to dislike soloers (I've read 'eve is a multiplayer game, go back to...' quite a few times lately) so I'm interested to get a bit of a feedback as to what people do and don't like about soloers or solo activities in the game.


I think there is a clear distinction that needs to be made here. Playing solo in a multiplayer game can mean two things;

1) Playing on your own with other people around that can affect your game play

2) Playing on your own with no other people around or only people that cannot affect your game play.

For EVE, I think most people refer to solo-play as "1" above. However, sometimes people bring up discussions and ideas that fall more into the "2" category above and it is these people that are often told "this is a multiplayer game".

'Multiplayer' does not mean you have to play with other players but it does not necessarily mean you can play the game devoid of their presence and affects.

Kitchen sink? Seriousy, get your ship together -  Fleet-Up.com