These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE Solo Players

Author
Nuglord
Da Evil Half-Orc Killing Guild for Hardcore PWNING
Li3 Federation
#221 - 2013-07-10 10:20:47 UTC
I've done a little bit of solo, nothing major, mostly frigates.

Two of the biggest pitfalls of a solo player are that many times, people playing by themselves have a sense of entitlement, i.e. being upset after a dishonored 1v1, or getting frustrated with enemy e-war, and feeling like you'll never accomplish anything and that you're just wasting your time.

As for the first point, its important to remember that Eve is indeed a sandbox, and no matter how frustrated you become, nobody will ever be obligated to play the game the way you want them to because that is how it is fundamentally designed. Everybody gets a little irritated at times, especially when you lose a close fight. The important thing is that even if you do end up smacking them a little, that you learn from it and better yourself as a pilot, and as a person by improving your attitude and picking better fights.

In regards to feeling like you're wasting your time, I believe it's up to the player to decide if that's true for themselves. If you're not having fun, there's no reason to keep doing it. There are plenty of corporations out there with more relaxed CTA or otherwise mandatory fleet policies which are perfect places to still get experience in fleets, but have some more reliable territory to practice flying solo, picking fights, and the like.

Don't let what you think is the "cool" way to play burden you into something you don't want to be doing. That said, if you are having trouble with fits, there are a massive variety of resources available to help you. I would check the killboards of known solo pilots and see what kinds of things they're flying, it might give you a starting point for something to try. Additionally, always remember that you shouldn't fly what you can't afford to lose.

Best of luck!
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#222 - 2013-07-10 10:40:18 UTC
Nuglord wrote:
I've done a little bit of solo, nothing major, mostly frigates.

Two of the biggest pitfalls of a solo player are that many times, people playing by themselves have a sense of entitlement, i.e. being upset after a dishonored 1v1, or getting frustrated with enemy e-war, and feeling like you'll never accomplish anything and that you're just wasting your time.

As for the first point, its important to remember that Eve is indeed a sandbox, and no matter how frustrated you become, nobody will ever be obligated to play the game the way you want them to because that is how it is fundamentally designed. Everybody gets a little irritated at times, especially when you lose a close fight. The important thing is that even if you do end up smacking them a little, that you learn from it and better yourself as a pilot, and as a person by improving your attitude and picking better fights.

In regards to feeling like you're wasting your time, I believe it's up to the player to decide if that's true for themselves. If you're not having fun, there's no reason to keep doing it. There are plenty of corporations out there with more relaxed CTA or otherwise mandatory fleet policies which are perfect places to still get experience in fleets, but have some more reliable territory to practice flying solo, picking fights, and the like.

Don't let what you think is the "cool" way to play burden you into something you don't want to be doing. That said, if you are having trouble with fits, there are a massive variety of resources available to help you. I would check the killboards of known solo pilots and see what kinds of things they're flying, it might give you a starting point for something to try. Additionally, always remember that you shouldn't fly what you can't afford to lose.

Best of luck!

I liked your post however I do think its the fleet / gang people that really feel a sense of entitlement rather than the solo types. As I soloer I have accepted that and adapted to the idea that multiple pilots have an advantage with multiple ships, dedicated EWAR, exclusive use of rep drones, cap, armor, shield transfer, leadership buffs, link buffs but they tend to still whine and moan at any suggestion of improving solo play despite any buff to solo play never outweighing the natural advantage of multiple pilots and dedicated ship types into a gang.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Kordus Aelar
Doomheim
#223 - 2013-07-10 10:45:30 UTC
So I have been playing for about 10 days now. All solo. And for now, I am fine with this for several reasons.

1. I am getting into EVE at my own pace. I am not a "jump into the deep end and learn to swim when I sart drowning" kind of guy. I like to ease into things. I can figure out what it is in New Eden that I want to do, without the pressures of a Corp trying to push me in their preferred direction.

2. I am flying around in hisec. I don't expect to see many people around to group up here anyway. So I haven't really had the opportunity to team up yet.

3. My initial choice of profession (exploration) kinda lends itself to a lot of solo play.

4. I am very deliberate when choosing to be social. Asking questions in help chat is an exception. This is why it is always hard for me to find a guild in my games.

5. Perhaps most importantly, I just plain flat out don't trust a single one of you. I have read and heard the horror stories of people getting scammed, ransomed, podded for no reason and all sorts of other nastiness. If it happens to me, it happens. But my guard is waaaaay up.

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#224 - 2013-07-10 10:59:57 UTC
Kordus Aelar wrote:
So I have been playing for about 10 days now. All solo. And for now, I am fine with this for several reasons.

1. I am getting into EVE at my own pace. I am not a "jump into the deep end and learn to swim when I sart drowning" kind of guy. I like to ease into things. I can figure out what it is in New Eden that I want to do, without the pressures of a Corp trying to push me in their preferred direction.

2. I am flying around in hisec. I don't expect to see many people around to group up here anyway. So I haven't really had the opportunity to team up yet.

3. My initial choice of profession (exploration) kinda lends itself to a lot of solo play.

4. I am very deliberate when choosing to be social. Asking questions in help chat is an exception. This is why it is always hard for me to find a guild in my games.

5. Perhaps most importantly, I just plain flat out don't trust a single one of you. I have read and heard the horror stories of people getting scammed, ransomed, podded for no reason and all sorts of other nastiness. If it happens to me, it happens. But my guard is waaaaay up.

Alt player.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Max Godsnottlingson
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#225 - 2013-07-10 11:25:46 UTC
Lors Dornick wrote:
Before anyone posts the obvious "we are solo and we fund eve and CCP are stupid because they listen to forum trolls".

CCP knows exactly who's paying their bills, they have a section of their staff dedicated to knowing who pays their bills.

You can post random data from eve, but CCP has all the data, they don't need you and your data is irrelevant.

If CCP decides to kill off solo play than it's based on data that is superior to your random guess.

I'll be here, learning, adapting and making more isk.

You know, that is so important that it needs repeating.

Eve employ a team of ecconomist, led by one of Europe's most respected people in that field. My wife used to teach ecconomics at our local Uni and she was familier with his works, and she knows squat about gaming.

It doesn't matter who you are, the leader of the biggest null sec alliance pigged of at 'erks' like me who are nibbling away at their exploration resources. Or being a solo 'erk' like me doing my own thing, where I want and when I want no matter what anybody else says. Well no matter what anybody who has nothing to do with CCP says! Big smile

For me, the game doesn't need changing for me to solo, and when it does change as Eve often does, I will have to review my 'lines' to see where my brand of solo play needs to be altered.
Lina Thamaris
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#226 - 2013-07-10 11:31:08 UTC
Xavier Quo wrote:
Me too. Solo losec exploration, avoid pirates, interacting with random people on your journey, that is what eve is for me.

I think sometimes CCP doesn't get that for a lot of people it's a time thing. Sometimes I can only play for an hour or two a week due to work and RL interests. Waiting around for fleets etc is simply not an option for me 90% of the time and I'm guessing for a lot of others as well.

Incentivising group play simply won't work on me, no matter how big the incentive, and making it obvious that you are losing out for being solo in certain situations is a huge mistake in game design.

The time issue is my main reason why I mostly do things solo, too. All the group activities just take too much time. I only every have a maximum of 2 hours online time in the evening, and that's just not enough for any type of multiplayer. It would be great if there were more options that require less time investment that are geared towards multiplayer.
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#227 - 2013-07-10 11:44:30 UTC
Lina Thamaris wrote:
Xavier Quo wrote:
Me too. Solo losec exploration, avoid pirates, interacting with random people on your journey, that is what eve is for me.

I think sometimes CCP doesn't get that for a lot of people it's a time thing. Sometimes I can only play for an hour or two a week due to work and RL interests. Waiting around for fleets etc is simply not an option for me 90% of the time and I'm guessing for a lot of others as well.

Incentivising group play simply won't work on me, no matter how big the incentive, and making it obvious that you are losing out for being solo in certain situations is a huge mistake in game design.

The time issue is my main reason why I mostly do things solo, too. All the group activities just take too much time. I only every have a maximum of 2 hours online time in the evening, and that's just not enough for any type of multiplayer. It would be great if there were more options that require less time investment that are geared towards multiplayer.

I've always said my wish is for one day we'll have a MMO that allows solo play (or at most CO-OP, as some of us play with friends and family) offline, but we connect online to socialize and/or to market with others. This way the pressure to hurry is gone, and we can do RL stuff while still gaming (why folks are AFKing, as we're multitasking RL and online "life").

Remember that Christmas season in WoW back in 2009 and doing a dungeon in LFG, for example. Bunch of ladies from around the country, and we're baking for the holidays while still trying to level toons. We were in the dungeons, but took breaks to check the cookies and cakes, washing dishes and other things. A normally 20 minute run, turned out to be over 3hrs. It was fun overall, and the time it took to complete it was oblivious to us.

The big thing about MMOs isn't so much the grouping, it's the socialization and all things connected to it. It's not a FPS game of 30 minute matches, it's a long term time sink that's suppose to be more than just killing things.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Liafcipe9000
Critically Preposterous
#228 - 2013-07-10 12:07:28 UTC
simply put, haters gonna hate.
Rico Minali
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#229 - 2013-07-10 12:08:10 UTC
Good post.

After years of huge coalition play, I actually play more or less solo now, in a small corp with another player, we arn't on at the same time very often and we simply do as we please. We have some communal chat channels and so on, and of course interact with players all the time, so to be frank no one really plays Eve solo anyway. You may do things by yourself but you are never alone in the game.

Play how you want and don't listen to the haters from either side.

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.

Kordus Aelar
Doomheim
#230 - 2013-07-10 18:48:52 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Kordus Aelar wrote:

Alt player.

If you are suggesting that my character is someone's alt, you are 100% wrong.

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#231 - 2013-07-10 18:58:28 UTC
Kordus Aelar wrote:

It's not what you state is the tip off, it's how you state it...complete with cultural nuances.

Kordus Aelar
Doomheim
#232 - 2013-07-10 19:33:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Kordus Aelar
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Kordus Aelar wrote:

It's not what you state is the tip off, it's how you state it...complete with cultural nuances.

*shrug*

either way, you are still wrong on this. but it doesn't matter, you are gonna think what you are going to think, regardless of what I say.
Anna Karhunen
Inoue INEXP
#233 - 2013-07-10 21:47:35 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Kordus Aelar wrote:

Your posts make it obvious all your EVE characters are alts of WoW character. Just saying.

As my old maths teacher used to say: "Statistics are like bikinis: It's what they don't show that's interesting". -CCP Aporia

samualvimes
Brothers At Arms
#234 - 2013-07-10 21:53:55 UTC
Davis TetrisKing wrote:
Recently I've noticed a bit more emphasis on the forums about players who play eve 'solo'. From my impression from the forums people tend to dislike soloers (I've read 'eve is a multiplayer game, go back to...' quite a few times lately) so I'm interested to get a bit of a feedback as to what people do and don't like about soloers or solo activities in the game.

*Skip to below for tl;dr*

I'll start off by saying that I definitely have a vested interest in the topic. I am what I think most people would consider a solo player in eve. I pretty rarely group up with other people to accomplish things and having recently moved out to low sec spend most of my time running sites, ratting and generally managing PI on my own.

To me this doesn't mean I have no interaction with other players. I'm not playing a single player game. I'm duking it out on my own in a world full of other pilots that might be able to help me, that I might be able to benefit from or (more likely) are out to get me if I give them a chance. This makes my 'solo' experience far more exciting than anything any single player game could ever give me.

I'm a bit too much of a risk averse carebear at the moment to really get into PvP, but I love the excitement of getting chased around lowsec trying to dodge pirates etc. The way I'm on edge when hauling stuff the few jumps back to high sec. I love raiding WHs knowing that there's a good chance I could die to another enterprising pilot who knows their dscan well enough to drop probes right on me and land on me before I know whats going on. To me the 'solo' experience is so much enriched by the fact that other people are out there.

*tl;dr*

I understand that 'eve is a multiplayer game', and the best way to thrive is to join forces with others. But I like that even if it might not be the 'best' way to go, I can carve out my own piece of eve on my own if I want in a world that is affected by others.

So what are people's main objections to people like myself playing solo?

The way I see it is that EVE can be played in a solo way and that should in no way be taken away from people to be able to play outside of a group. HOWEVER noone should be able to shut out the multiplayer part from affecting them.

If you've never tried PvP in EvE it's quite possible you've missed out on one of the greatest rushes available in modern gaming.

maCH'EttE
Perkone
Caldari State
#235 - 2013-07-10 21:59:37 UTC
Thank CCP, fonzie/rise and all the rest of the team for burying solo/small gang into the mud and taking a nice dump on it.
Kordus Aelar
Doomheim
#236 - 2013-07-10 22:00:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Kordus Aelar
Anna Karhunen wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Kordus Aelar wrote:

Your posts make it obvious all your EVE characters are alts of WoW character. Just saying.

I guess.

Not sure where that comes from, especially since I haven't played WoW since TBC. And since this is my only character thus far.

But ok, sure.
Anna Karhunen
Inoue INEXP
#237 - 2013-07-10 22:03:02 UTC
No, it was not aimed to you, but to Ace, who posts about WoW. Her alt comment was so weird that I felt temptation to make that comment.

As my old maths teacher used to say: "Statistics are like bikinis: It's what they don't show that's interesting". -CCP Aporia

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#238 - 2013-07-10 22:16:20 UTC
Anna Karhunen wrote:
No, it was not aimed to you, but to Ace, who posts about WoW. Her alt comment was so weird that I felt temptation to make that comment.

Not weird. If you were on the WoW forums with t-h-a-t many alts posting, you'll spot things like that out of habit. Shocked

Anna Karhunen
Inoue INEXP
#239 - 2013-07-10 22:19:50 UTC
What makes it weird is how it has no bearing whatsoever on the topic or points presented.

Kordus Aelar
Doomheim
#240 - 2013-07-10 22:27:53 UTC
Anna Karhunen wrote:
What makes it weird is how it has no bearing whatsoever on the topic or points presented.

no, what makes it weird is how incredibly wrong he is, and how incredibly convinced he is, despite being so incredibly wrong.