These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP’s latest strong arm attempt to populate null and low sec

Author
Oliver G
G Enterprises
#21 - 2013-04-28 08:58:09 UTC
I totally agree with the OP. CCP has made many attempts to populate low/null. All the people who want to be there are already there.

I also see the problem that the upcomming changes do not leave room for small high sec corporations to run a POS. Limiting the ICE supply is ok, but I think they overdid it. I just checked: Khanid Kingdom will not have asingle ICE anomaly in the whole region (!).

This is not limiting the ICE supply, this is completely removing the ICE supply. Why? Does CCP really want to ban POSes from high-sec in Khanid?
xPredat0rz
Project.Nova
The Initiative.
#22 - 2013-04-28 09:06:11 UTC
Amarr has the largest stretch of space. Khanid Kingdom is also amarr.

You will have Ice within 5 jumps of the Khanid Region

Moutid in Tash Murkon

Kothe in Kador

Its not like it wont be availible. More then half of Khanid is low sec. So do some ninja low sec ops if you have to
Quote:
Ice HarvestingAs mentioned in the main blog, we are planning to make significant changes to ice harvesting, moving supply from static belts into respawning anomalies, as well as doubling the speed of ice harvesters to increase yield over time.

Most systems that currently have ice belts will contain these new ice anomalies, with the notable exception of many systems in Amarrian, Khanid, and Ammatar high security space. Below I will list all the systems in high security space that will contain spawns of Clear Icicle.

Afivad, Agal, Avada, Bashakru, Chanoun, Dantan, Dihra, Erkinen, Esteban, Gamis, Gelhan, Gosalav, Jarzalad, Jerma, Kothe, Manatirid, Miah, Moutid, Ordion, Raravoss, Riavayed, Seil, Talidal, Warouh.

These will be the only high security systems that will contain Clear Icicle. All low-security and null-security systems that currently contain static ice belts, as well as all high security systems in Caldari, Gallente and Minmatar space that contain static ice belts, will contain the new ice anomalies.

Dave Stark
#23 - 2013-04-28 09:08:44 UTC
Oliver G wrote:
All the people who want to be there are already there.

incorrect.
i want to be in null, however i make more isk in high sec so i am there.

there's no incentive for me to go in to null, currently.
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#24 - 2013-04-28 09:14:10 UTC
Suck it up, OP. I don't think CCP is daft enough to think that someone like you will go to low or null. After all, they are truly scary places.

Maybe they think the high sec alts of null and low players will go there for industry. That would be a good enough start.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Oliver G
G Enterprises
#25 - 2013-04-28 09:14:15 UTC
OK, so tons of ice available in low sec. Will it make me go to low? No. Why? Too much trouble. EVE is supposed to be a game. Nowe everytime I need ice for the POS it becomes a damn project to get it. I do not want to waste 3 hours in a row to grab ICE. So it is as the OP says, some people will adapt in high-sec. I am one of them.

Quote:
incorrect.

And do you have the feeling that this is about to change?
Kado Nolens
Doomheim
#26 - 2013-04-28 09:17:25 UTC
I like all the changes except that Grav sites are now found by using the ship scanner the same as Anom's....

Seems very one sided and might as well go back to just hitting belts instead..... as anoms are the first to get hit in a small system...
Dave Stark
#27 - 2013-04-28 09:17:50 UTC
Oliver G wrote:
OK, so tons of ice available in low sec. Will it make me go to low? No. Why? Too much trouble. EVE is supposed to be a game. Nowe everytime I need ice for the POS it becomes a damn project to get it. I do not want to waste 3 hours in a row to grab ICE. So it is as the OP says, some people will adapt in high-sec. I am one of them.

Quote:
incorrect.

yes. you will make more isk mining in null than you will in high sec after odyssey.
Dave Stark
#28 - 2013-04-28 09:19:11 UTC
Kado Nolens wrote:
I like all the changes except that Grav sites are now found by using the ship scanner the same as Anom's....

Seems very one sided and might as well go back to just hitting belts instead..... as anoms are the first to get hit in a small system...

it's even worse for wormholes. you won't know some one is near you until they appear on grid. no local, no probes on dscan, just an uncloaking arazu pointing you.

wormhole miners do have my sympathy, but looking at the graphs nobody mines in wormholes anyway.
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#29 - 2013-04-28 09:48:09 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Oliver G wrote:

Quote:
incorrect.

yes. you will make more isk mining in null than you will in high sec after odyssey.

And with the outpost changes you even have some chance of doing something useful with the minerals. Nowhere near far enough yet but in the right direction.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Dave Stark
#30 - 2013-04-28 09:52:47 UTC
Zappity wrote:
And with the outpost changes you even have some chance of doing something useful with the minerals. Nowhere near far enough yet but in the right direction.

indeed, there will be a local market for the minerals.
you'll still be sending a portion of them to jita, unless other people like importing 425mm railguns... still, it'll be better than the system we have now.
Oliver G
G Enterprises
#31 - 2013-04-28 10:05:06 UTC
Well, it looks like we will have to wait and see how it really works out in the end. Maybe, it is still bearable to do the long range trip to get the ice.

Regarding the Outpost modifications, I cannot really say whats going on here because I have never dealt with outposts. But I trust you guys know what you are talking about. Big smile
Atlantis Fuanan
Wormhole Research Inc.
#32 - 2013-04-28 10:07:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Atlantis Fuanan
I for my part, am not directly involved by this expansion change. But furthermore i really hope that this will cause the global playerbase and espacially the HiSec to move into lower Security spaces. The Playerbase should also "balance" itself into the 3 space regions, not just 70%+ HiSec and rest is creeping around in the darker space.

[u]Things that would make EVE better:[/u] NRDS - Remove Local - Balance Cloak - Sov-Mechanic Changes - Less QQ

xPredat0rz
Project.Nova
The Initiative.
#33 - 2013-04-28 10:08:40 UTC
Oliver G wrote:
Well, it looks like we will have to wait and see how it really works out in the end. Maybe, it is still bearable to do the long range trip to get the ice.

Regarding the Outpost modifications, I cannot really say whats going on here because I have never dealt with outposts. But I trust you guys know what you are talking about. Big smile

Basically you need 1 of each outpost in your constellation, or if you own the region 1 reprocessing one centrally located with jb.

Genreally though you get better refining compressing it and shipping it to high sec. One of the reason most alliance never see mineral taxes.

If your not willing to move 3-4 freighters worth of upgrades per station your better off not bothering with keeping the minerals/ ice in null
Oliver G
G Enterprises
#34 - 2013-04-28 10:12:52 UTC
xPredat0rz wrote:
Oliver G wrote:

Basically you need 1 of each outpost in your constellation, or if you own the region 1 reprocessing one centrally located with jb.

Genreally though you get better refining compressing it and shipping it to high sec. One of the reason most alliance never see mineral taxes.

If your not willing to move 3-4 freighters worth of upgrades per station your better off not bothering with keeping the minerals/ ice in null

This kind of makes me wonder what the benefit of having an outpost then really is. I was always under the impression that outposts are like high-sec stations but owned by the playerbase. Looks like I was wrong (as I said, I never dealt with outposts).
Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2013-04-28 11:12:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Zifrian
Oliver G wrote:
xPredat0rz wrote:
Oliver G wrote:

This kind of makes me wonder what the benefit of having an outpost then really is. I was always under the impression that outposts are like high-sec stations but owned by the playerbase. Looks like I was wrong (as I said, I never dealt with outposts).

Each type of station has a role and gives you basic access to certain functions. Amarr is manufacturing, Caldari research, Minmatar refining, Gallente offices. Here's a basic rundown: http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/outpost_construction.php

So basically, because you can't set up two stations in the same system, you have to figure out what type to put and where. The Minmatar station gives you 35% refining efficiency and only after installing billion isk upgrades can you get them to 40 and 50%. Not to mention the corp that owns it usually puts on a tax (wouldn't you?) that you can't get around. So basically for refining, you need to get scrapmetal processing and refining up to 4, have a 40% refine station and use a refining implant to get "perfect" refine. Then you lose up to 10% to the owner corp.

So now I have my minerals, where do I build my stuff? Hrm, no pos with manufacturing and this refinery station's 2 slots have a 12 day que...I go to the nearest Amarr station. That's a few jumps away. Do I have access to the production lines (there are only 20!). Yes, 1 line open. I can make my Maelstrom to sell....now am I in a trade hub for the area? Ooops, nope! Need to ship that thing to the staging station to sell. Freighter in nullsec? Um...what about a jump bridge? Well that's a lot of ozone. Well, let me use my carrier to jump my ship there to sell. Not a lot of isotopes but I can handle it. Ok, put it on market and done.

Well crap, we are low on ice materials. And since we are 3 cynos from highsec, I guess it's time to rally up the corp to go ice mine for a few 6 hours so we can run our jump bridges, pos's, and cynos for the next month. Where's that ice system? Crap, how many jumps? Guys, I can only fit so many hulks in my rorq...can someone else jump their ships? Do we have someone who can boost or pick up cans? I can't do both. Who's our security? Gah, that's far from the refinery station...guess I need to bring some heavy water with me so I can compress....woah, those are some long compression times... Cry

Whew, ok, ice mining done. Well now that I've done that maybe I should try to make some T2 modules that everyone uses. Wait, I have to import all the data cores from high sec as well as most of the T2 moon parts because our alliance doesn't control the right space for the base moon mats I need? Oh wait, I have to do how many reactions to get moon materials for a single item of T2? WTF?

Ah well, lets do some capital production.....I need how much Tritanium?!?!

I could go on but I have little sympathy for people complaining about fixes to null and "nerfing highsec". Especially when the changes are so small overall. Null needs a lot more love on the Science and Industry front.

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Oliver G
G Enterprises
#36 - 2013-04-28 11:16:15 UTC
Zifrian wrote:
tons of stuff

Well, thank you very much for your elaborate answer. Reading this gave me a pretty good picture on how the situation is. And yes, I can feel your pain. Smile
Reuben Johnson
Gal-Min Industries
#37 - 2013-04-28 11:46:54 UTC
Ive argued before that to improve Null, you need to improve Null, not nerf Hi. And this is what CCP has done. There is no Hi Sec nerf, no one is being forced anywhere. All they did is loosen the Null bottleneck for those already in Null. The vast majority of minerals will still come from Hi.

Industrialists (miners in particualr) and PvPer's dont mix. It's the Hippo giving the Scorpion a ride...sooner or later the Scorpion will sting the Hippo, just as PvPer's will eventually get bored and shoot the miners their supposed to protect, and everyone knows this.

Sov holders don't have the forsight, o likely even the tools, to see themselves as a nation, providing a safe haven for indutrialists to gather to ply their trade to advance the "nation". To them, everyone is a target. Until they either see past that, or Eve gives them the tools to implement it, Hi seccers will stay in Hi, and the large majority of minerals will still flow from Hi to Null, only those already giving it a go in Null will benefit from thsi change, with very few getting hurt. If youre getting hurt from this change, you werent on very sound ground to begin with.
Caldari 5
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. S.A.S
Affirmative.
#38 - 2013-04-28 12:39:19 UTC
Arcturus Trask wrote:
Things that will be interesting for me... The time for endless ice mining has come at last. Except for AFK/Bot miners, this should not be too much of a problem. It is my hope that when a new Ice Field spawns that my Alliance fleet of miners can not kill it in 15 minutes. I hope that a bunch of us can kill it in 3 to 4 hours then D-Scan the next location. Twice the ice and half the time. We would not have to mine ice that often to keep our POS towers up.

Um I'm not sure if I heard the Presentation correctly, however I believe that the next Ice Anom Spawn is 4hours from the time it is depleted, not 4hours from the time it was started, which means that you can't chain them, and if you happen to login at the wrong time you could be twiddling your thumbs for upto 4 hours waiting for the next spawn.

Arcturus Trask wrote:
I am miffed about all the time I have spent in training my scanning to the max just so I can scan down a Gravimetric site in less than a minute. I just wish they added a new type of signature that I could look for with my kick ass scanning skillz. Now a 1 day wonder can press the scan button and jump to the Ice Field? *sigh* In that I feel cheated. :)

Yes, I'm a tad pissed at the Grav Sites being moved to Anoms, I would have preferred static belts moved to Anoms and the normal Grav sites left to scan down for the people that want to go the extra yard to get something decent.
Asuna Bourne
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2013-04-28 14:36:54 UTC
Im a newer player and Im not too familiar with Gravs and Anoms.

But I read about them and I trained to scan them down and mine.

Now they will always have folks in them because they no longer need to be scanned down.

That sucks. I had to waste time training skills to do this. Had I known about this, I never would have trained those skills.
Haulie Berry
#40 - 2013-04-28 15:07:22 UTC
Asuna Bourne wrote:
Im a newer player and Im not too familiar with Gravs and Anoms.

But I read about them and I trained to scan them down and mine.

Now they will always have folks in them because they no longer need to be scanned down.

That sucks. I had to waste time training skills to do this. Had I known about this, I never would have trained those skills.

...this entire expansion is themed around doing new and exciting things with those exact skills, and you're crying about how you won't need them to find a field to hoe anymore. Roll