These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

RIP hisec mining, it was fun while it lasted.

First post
Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#361 - 2013-04-28 22:46:11 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Tippia wrote:
…you can always play better, smarter, and/or with more numbers. SP won't help them in the slightest against those.

Better I cannot, because i lack SP to be better.
Smarter won't work against stroner (due to SP diff).
More numbers = more SP => fits within "more SP to win" formula.

Day old rifter pilots are better than you.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#362 - 2013-04-28 22:46:14 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
Indeed. Not quite enough to compensate for the mind-killing dreariness that is mining, but I suppose some folks can put up with that, and it *is* reliable. 40M ISK/hr for melting ice is probably close to the tipping point. If it were 50M ISK/hr, it would put me in a horrible dillema.

even with 4hr gaps between site respawns?

I could always Just melt rocks until a respawn.

Anyway, the demand for ice is extant, and not going away. Cost will rise until the playerbase responds -If the iskies are there, so will be the miners.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#363 - 2013-04-28 22:46:24 UTC
Tippia wrote:

Also, you didn't do the exercise. Hop to it. Chop-chop. How many SP do you need to beat me?

> Take all the PvP SP from that pile, and that will be how much SP you need to make tactics and being smart matter.

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#364 - 2013-04-28 22:48:52 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Anyway, the demand for ice is extant, and not going away. Cost will rise until the playerbase responds -If the iskies are there, so will be the miners.

Which is why we get all the Ice camped. Mining belts ain't gonna be worth it, so every ice field will be camped.

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Theodoric Darkwind
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#365 - 2013-04-28 22:49:28 UTC
You know you can always move your miners to nullsec now.

With the changes coming I think miners will be in demand in nullsec.

This will be a major boost to industry in nullsec (beyond building capital ships and combat boosters)
Dave Stark
#366 - 2013-04-28 22:49:54 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Tippia wrote:

Also, you didn't do the exercise. Hop to it. Chop-chop. How many SP do you need to beat me?

> Take all the PvP SP from that pile, and that will be how much SP you need to make tactics and being smart matter.

that doesn't even make sense.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#367 - 2013-04-28 22:50:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Tippia wrote:

No, and that's not what I'm asking, now is it? I want a number, and I want it calculated correctly. Just add up the SP required for the various skills. The method you're suggesting isn't doing that.

So, again: how many SP do you need to beat me?

Dave Stark wrote:
that doesn't even make sense.
Hmm… on second thought, maybe it does. If we remove all the 111,834,278 PvP SP from that pile, we end up with 0 SP. That's pretty close to the correct answer. It's probably entirely accidental, though, and not the figure he was thinking of. Lol
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#368 - 2013-04-28 22:50:36 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
silens vesica wrote:

Which is why we get all the Ice camped. Mining belts ain't gonna be worth it, so every ice field will be camped.

Because they arn't camped now...
Dave Stark
#369 - 2013-04-28 22:50:51 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
Indeed. Not quite enough to compensate for the mind-killing dreariness that is mining, but I suppose some folks can put up with that, and it *is* reliable. 40M ISK/hr for melting ice is probably close to the tipping point. If it were 50M ISK/hr, it would put me in a horrible dillema.

even with 4hr gaps between site respawns?

I could always Just melt rocks until a respawn.

without a doubt.
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#370 - 2013-04-28 22:51:07 UTC
Theodoric Darkwind wrote:
You know you can always move your miners to nullsec now.

This will be a major boost to industry in nullsec (beyond building capital ships and combat boosters)

That is the only thing left to do, quite obviously.

Dave Stark
#371 - 2013-04-28 22:51:41 UTC
Theodoric Darkwind wrote:

are you recruiting? i've been looking for a null sec space guild.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#372 - 2013-04-28 22:51:59 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
silens vesica wrote:

Rock melting isn't going to go away either. It may be relegated to a less-capable or adventurous (read: new or lazy) class of miner, but we're still going to need our scordite.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Lady Areola Fappington
#373 - 2013-04-28 22:53:08 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Tippia wrote:

Just looking at Tippia, maybe 2mill to beat, tops. From a quick glance, her most effective combat ship would be some version of T3 cruiser. You don't need a whole lot to tear down a T3, just some intelligence about game mechanics.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#374 - 2013-04-28 22:55:35 UTC
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Tippia wrote:

Just looking at Tippia, maybe 2mill to beat, tops. From a quick glance, her most effective combat ship would be some version of T3 cruiser. You don't need a whole lot to tear down a T3, just some intelligence about game mechanics.

Which would be about 3x of PvP SP I got.
So I don't have to worry about PvP for a few more years after all.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#375 - 2013-04-28 22:55:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Mining belts ain't gonna be worth it, so every ice field will be camped.
What do you base this assertion on?

Quote:
So you're at 700k SP now. That means the full 2M is about a month away. That's not “a few more years”, just fyi.

Most of the time, you'll find me in an interceptor or a blockade runner. They can both be tricky to catch, but beyond that, they'll fall apart to a n00bship. P
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#376 - 2013-04-28 22:59:37 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Mining belts ain't gonna be worth it, so every ice field will be camped.
What do you base this assertion on?

Quote:
So you're at 700k SP now. That means the full 2M is about a month away. That's not “a few more years”, just fyi.

Most of the time, you'll find me in an interceptor or a blockade runner. They can both be tricky to catch, but beyond that, they'll fall apart to a n00bship. P

My assertions are all over this thread.
You're gonna increase your SP as well, so it's years.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#377 - 2013-04-28 22:59:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Basil Pupkin wrote:

Can you fit a tank? can you shoot guns or missiles? can you fly a frigate/destroyer/cruiser? if so you already a fair chunk covered, those skill people train up so that they can tank or shoot rats, they matter in PvP, as do most of the other core skills required to fly most ships, including industrials. There's a huge crossover between PvE and PvP when it comes to skills, you just fail to realise it.

A newbie in a frigate that has been PvPing since day one will kick the arse out of my sometime PvP pilot regardless of the 35m SP he has, because I don't have the experience of either my ship or tactics to beat someone who's been doing it for more than a couple of weeks or so, I rarely PvP, especially in frigates.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Dave Stark
#378 - 2013-04-28 23:00:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Dave Stark
Basil Pupkin wrote:
My assertions are all over this thread.

we know, we've been laughing at them all day as you've been able to produce no evidence to give life to these "facts" of yours.
Lady Areola Fappington
#379 - 2013-04-28 23:02:07 UTC
Tippia wrote:

Ohh, in that case, 900,000 SP will be more than enough. Web and MWD on a frigate. Decloak bumrush the BR, or just get in web range on that 'ceptor. No SP needed, just some crafty manual piloting skills.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#380 - 2013-04-28 23:02:42 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:

Can you fit a tank? can you shoot guns or missiles? can you fly a frigate/destroyer/cruiser? if so you already a fair chunk covered, those skill people train up so that they can tank or shoot rats, they matter in PvP, as do most of the other core skills required to fly most ships, including industrials. There's a huge crossover between PvE and PvP when it comes to skills, you just fail to realise it.

Yeah, I have all bases of becoming a victim to higher SP forum baiters covered. No, thank you.