These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

RIP hisec mining, it was fun while it lasted.

First post
Author
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#341 - 2013-04-28 22:24:03 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Broken due to ignorance, inexperience, and lack of actually sitting down to see what SP do.
Fixed.

It is quite obvious that everyone who engages in pvp maxed out his pvp skills in years of playing. In equal ships they beat you in range, damage, speed and defence. And they're gonna have better ships and better fits - comes with years of SP accumulation.

Until you're maxed out like they are, you lose. That is SP bound game for you.

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#342 - 2013-04-28 22:25:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Broken due to ignorance, inexperience, and lack of actually sitting down to see what SP do.
Fixed.

It is quite obvious that everyone who engages in pvp maxed out his pvp skills in years of playing. In equal ships they beat you in range, damage, speed and defence. And they're gonna have better ships and better fits - comes with years of SP accumulation.

Why do you refuse to accept what people with actual combat experience say ?
Dave stark
#343 - 2013-04-28 22:26:08 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Fixed.

it's not obvious, because it's not the case.

i'll give you 10/10 for the trolling, because that's all your posts are.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#344 - 2013-04-28 22:26:08 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
It is quite obvious that everyone who engages in pvp maxed out his pvp skills in years of playing.
Fun fact: apparently obvious things are often not what they first seem.
Because no, they did not.

Quote:
Until you're maxed out like they are
…you can always play better, smarter, and/or with more numbers. SP won't help them in the slightest against those.
Ryu Ibarazaki
Doomheim
#345 - 2013-04-28 22:27:00 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:

So, at which gate do you usually camp while tricking newbies into setting themself back by trying PvP?

Haha, funny. Have you heard of the corporation I'm in, Basil? We've been 'setting ourselves back' to the tune of awesome fights and grand adventure.

This guy seems to be trolling, but to anyone else reading this it is never too late to get into player vs player combat in EVE.
Lady Areola Fappington
#346 - 2013-04-28 22:30:14 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:

Wow, somebody needs to tell the dude I popped down in Drone regions a couple days ago he should have won. '07 vs. '12. He was even flying a "superior" ship too!

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#347 - 2013-04-28 22:30:19 UTC
Tippia wrote:
…you can always play better, smarter, and/or with more numbers. SP won't help them in the slightest against those.

Better I cannot, because i lack SP to be better.
Smarter won't work against stroner (due to SP diff).
More numbers = more SP => fits within "more SP to win" formula.

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#348 - 2013-04-28 22:30:52 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Fixed.

Where do you get this? Ships and weapons have a skill cap, 90% of an older players SP are completely useless if he's flying a frigate or any other ship. Only the skills that are relevant to the ship and its modules are used, every other skill may as well not exist, the same for the SP invested in them.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#349 - 2013-04-28 22:31:09 UTC
Ryu Ibarazaki wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:

So, at which gate do you usually camp while tricking newbies into setting themself back by trying PvP?

Haha, funny. Have you heard of the corporation I'm in, Basil? We've been 'setting ourselves back' to the tune of awesome fights and grand adventure.

This guy seems to be trolling, but to anyone else reading this it is never too late to get into player vs player combat in EVE.

Getting in is easy. It's just if you lack SP, you're getting out of clone vat instead.

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#350 - 2013-04-28 22:32:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
Ryu Ibarazaki wrote:
This guy seems to be trolling, but to anyone else reading this it is never too lateearly to get into player vs player combat in EVE.
Fixed that for you.
Dave stark
#351 - 2013-04-28 22:32:03 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Tippia wrote:

Better I cannot, because i lack any shred of intelligence.

fixed.
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#352 - 2013-04-28 22:33:36 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Fixed.

Where do you get this? Ships and weapons have a skill cap, 90% of an older players SP are completely useless if he's flying a frigate or any other ship. Only the skills that are relevant to the ship and its modules are used, every other skill may as well not exist, the same for the SP invested in them.

Which doesn't cancel the fact that in the same frigate you lose to 10% of his SP, because those 10% is still greater than your 100%.

Ryu Ibarazaki
Doomheim
#353 - 2013-04-28 22:34:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Ryu Ibarazaki
Solstice Project wrote:
Ryu Ibarazaki wrote:
This guy seems to be trolling, but to anyone else reading this it is never too lateearly to get into player vs player combat in EVE.
Fixed that for you.

lol. Thanks m8.

It was late for me. I was an industry guy my first year of EVE.
Dave stark
#354 - 2013-04-28 22:34:38 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Fixed.

Which doesn't cancel the fact that in the same frigate you lose to 10% of his SP, because those 10% is still greater than your 100%.

no.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#355 - 2013-04-28 22:34:45 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Better I cannot, because i lack SP to be better.
Tactics is not a function of SP, but of player action, so it's trivially easy to play better than a pile of SP.
Quote:
Smarter won't work against stroner (due to SP diff).
Incorrect. Smarter works against dumb because dumb means you're weak against whatever the smart player uses.
Quote:
More numbers = more SP => fits within "more SP to win" formula.
…except that 10×900k SP < 1×20M SP, and yet the former will win. So no, it doesn't.

Here's an exercise for you: I have 112M SP. Take a moment to figure out how many SP you need to beat me.
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#356 - 2013-04-28 22:36:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Corey Fumimasa
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:

Assuming leaving hisec is an option for many players.
No it's not.

Why not?. CVA space is NRDS, that's a non highsec option for any miner that wants a piece of the new nullsec ores.

And... how can you stay NR for more than a second? Let me guess: you can't.

You can stay in CVA space for as long as you want, we welcome miners and ratters even if you do not choose to participate in FiS PvP. Neutrals are not shot as long as they follow the rules; don't shoot others, don't act like a spy, If asked by CVA or holder alliance to leave a system or gate then you should leave, and every now and then someone will come and tackle your ship to scan the fit and cargo.

This is the essence of NRDS, all playstyles have something to offer the system as a whole, and so the more playstyles that we can have in Providence the better it will be.

Join CVA-diplo ingame for more information.

Anyone can check themselves or their corp on the CVA kos checker. Basil is neutral here http://kos.cva-eve.org/?q=Basil+Pupkin

Do be aware that if your last corp was kos you may still be kos even if you don't show on the checker.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#357 - 2013-04-28 22:38:53 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
So play smarter: don't be in the same frigate. Use something that kills that frigate in a heartbeat using a fraction of the SP.
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#358 - 2013-04-28 22:39:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Basil Pupkin
Tippia wrote:
Here's an exercise for you: I have 112M SP. Take a moment to figure out how many SP you need to beat me.

Your tactics won't work if you don't have enough SP to back it up.
Same reason for smarter. No matter how smart you are, you can't do anything about it if you deal 20% less damage and have 20% less tank.
Take all the PvP SP from that pile, and that will be how much SP you need to make tactics and being smart matter.

Tippia wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
So play smarter: don't be in the same frigate. Use something that kills that frigate in a heartbeat using a fraction of the SP.

Except he'll be using whatever beats the frigate beater. Or able to fit things which nullify frigate beater beating capabilities. And there is nothing I can do about it without SP.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#359 - 2013-04-28 22:42:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Basil Pupkin wrote:
…which you do. Hence the choice of tactic.

Quote:
Same reason for smarter. No matter how smart you are, you can't do anything about it if you deal 20% less damage and have 20% less tank.
…except that by being smarter, you have infinitely more damage and a tank that doesn't even come into play.

Quote:
Except he'll be using whatever beats the frigate beater.
Then you didn't play smarter, now did you? So no, he won't.

Also, you didn't do the exercise. Hop to it. Chop-chop. How many SP do you need to beat me?
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#360 - 2013-04-28 22:45:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Tippia wrote:

Take all the PvP SP from that pile, and that will be how much SP you need to make tactics and being smart matter.

Tippia wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:

Except he'll be using whatever beats the frigate beater. Or able to fit things which nullify frigate beater beating capabilities. And there is nothing I can do about it without SP.

That's quite the SP fixation you have there, people in T1 frigates regularly kick the crap out of people in T2 frigates, one requires more SP than the other to fly, and can still lose. Your argument is moot, knowledge and experience of Eve, of the ship you fly and what it can do are more valuable than SP, how you use that experience and knowledge will beat a dumb pilot with more SP 90% of the time.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack