These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

RIP hisec mining, it was fun while it lasted.

First post
Author
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#261 - 2013-04-28 20:56:18 UTC
Mara Pahrdi wrote:
Miners used to get 2 isk/unit Trit when I started out in EVE. The hulk was at 145m back then. Somehow they did not perish.

Except there were no miners. Alloys. Shuttles. Meta x stuff reprocessing. No need to mine.
I remember the times too, you know.

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#262 - 2013-04-28 20:57:15 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:

I just fail to explain it in a way that makes sense.

Magic! Big smile

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#263 - 2013-04-28 20:58:21 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Except there were no miners. Alloys. Shuttles. Meta x stuff reprocessing. No need to mine.
No, you don't. Otherwise, you'd remember the abundance of miners.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#264 - 2013-04-28 20:59:35 UTC
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
Magic! Big smile
Have a like ! :D
Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#265 - 2013-04-28 21:00:07 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
No, you don't. Otherwise, you'd remember the abundance of miners.

This Lol.

Remove standings and insurance.

Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#266 - 2013-04-28 21:00:14 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Solstice Project wrote:
In any way ...

Completely ignoring what i have learned from dave,
namely that no matter what minerals are worth,
miners actually always make the same amount of money relative to what everything else costs ...
(did i say that the right way ?)

If the masses of miners were smart. they'd hide suicide gankers to get rid of competition ...
... but sadly, only a few actually are smart ...

There is no competition right now, so every account in catalyst might as well be mining.
There may be so much competition in odyssey, that every account in catalyst is going to meet two catalysts already ganking his target.
I totally fail to understand your logic.

Dave's a miner. Dave taught me that it's completely irrelevant if a miner makes one, three, five, twelve isk per [mineral],
because prices of all the things build with [mineral] will go up/down accordingly,
meaning that the miner actually always makes the same value of money.

I just fail to explain it in a way that makes sense.

Anyway, there is no reason to believe that mining will die out. If supply really goes down,
there will be more people mining, because the prices will go up. And, even if that won't happen so fast,
once everything got cheaper, miners will start mining simply because it's worth it,
compared to what everything else costs.

I will ease up the explaination.
It is true if mining values are constant, demand is constant, and mineral reuiqrements to build stuff are constant.
Now what do we have in odyssey? Screwed demand. Values shifted. Getting my drift?

Now one group of miners is going to get everything and another group of miners is screwed. I'm not saying "mining is dead", I say that hisec mining is.

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Skorpynekomimi
#267 - 2013-04-28 21:00:19 UTC
The market for highsec minerals isn't just nullsec. Where the frak do you think those mining boats you keep losing come from? All those mission runners need to keep buying ammo and drones, too.

Economic PVP

Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#268 - 2013-04-28 21:03:35 UTC
Skorpynekomimi wrote:
The market for highsec minerals isn't just nullsec.

Not just. Most.
Skorpynekomimi wrote:
Where the frak do you think those mining boats you keep losing come from?

I make them.
Skorpynekomimi wrote:
All those mission runners need to keep buying ammo and drones, too.

Really? Cuz those are totally not dropping from mobs on a mission runs...

Dave Stark
#269 - 2013-04-28 21:04:33 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
I'm not saying "mining is dead", I say that hisec mining is.

and you've produced no evidence to support your outlandish claim.

especially when i've just showed you that the estimated impact is 3m/hour and a switch from scord to pyro.
Dave Stark
#270 - 2013-04-28 21:06:27 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:

really, what rats are you killing that are dropping scourge fury heavy missiles?
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#271 - 2013-04-28 21:06:42 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Now what do we have in odyssey? Screwed demand. Values shifted. Getting my drift?
In Odyssey, we have a shift in supply.
How is demand being screwed again?
So what if values shift?
No… what is your drift?
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#272 - 2013-04-28 21:06:43 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:

especially when i've just showed you that the estimated impact is 3m/hour and a switch from scord to pyro.

3m/hour is switch from scord to pyro NOW.

Both scord and pyro are barely going to be worth 15M/hour in odyssey.

Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#273 - 2013-04-28 21:08:40 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Skorpynekomimi wrote:
All those mission runners need to keep buying ammo and drones, too.

ShockedLol

Remove standings and insurance.

Dave Stark
#274 - 2013-04-28 21:09:40 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:

3m/hour is switch from scord to pyro NOW.

Both scord and pyro are barely going to be worth 15M/hour in odyssey.

no, in odyssey, as i showed you with the mineral value predictions from mynnna.

where is your evidence of 15m/hour pyrox? you have produced none.
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#275 - 2013-04-28 21:10:30 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:

really, what rats are you killing that are dropping scourge fury heavy missiles?

They drop regular heavy missiles which are also usable.
Also, scourge fury requires almost none of the hisec minerals, so it's a bad sample.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#276 - 2013-04-28 21:10:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Basil Pupkin wrote:

Now one group of miners is going to get everything and another group of miners is screwed. I'm not saying "mining is dead", I say that hisec mining is.

Not that is what is going to happen, why is this a bad thing?
Ice miners will mine out the new fields, and hopefully the fact that Ice will now deplete as it's mined will generate some interactivity and conflict in that activity. Ore miners will carry on as usual, belts will still exist, and Gravs will require less effort to find. It'll be business as usual.

edit - The nullsec miners aren't going to be able to supply enough of the basic minerals to feed their industrial chains, they will still be importing an extremely large quantity of those minerals from hisec.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Dave Stark
#277 - 2013-04-28 21:11:13 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:

They drop regular heavy missiles which are also usable.
Also, scourge fury requires almost none of the hisec minerals, so it's a bad sample.

so, the rats don't drop ammo.
thanks for confirming that.
Leper ofBacon
HELP GRANDMA SMASH HER LEGS IN
#278 - 2013-04-28 21:14:07 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
T8496 wrote:
ITT: EvE is the only game where people feel so entitled when they choose to live in the starting area.

If eve had PvP which isn't "more skillpoints always win" I would've tried it. Unfortunately, that is the one and only kind of pvp eve offers.
Maybe in a 3-4 more years...

You won't listen but I have some good news for you, this isn't the case at all.
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#279 - 2013-04-28 21:14:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Basil Pupkin
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:

Ice miners will mine out the new fields, and hopefully the fact that Ice will now deplete as it's mined will generate some interactivity and conflict in that activity. Ore miners will carry on as usual, belts will still exist, and Gravs will require less effort to find. It'll be business as usual.

I abstain from "good vs bad" analysis, it's just a fact it's going to die. Belts at least for sure. Ice mining would give way to Ice camping. New gravs... we'll see if there's enough to keep the miners going.

Leper ofBacon wrote:

This isn't the case. This is the sad truth.

Dave Stark
#280 - 2013-04-28 21:18:20 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:

I abstain from "good vs bad" analysis, it's just a fact it's going to die. Belts at least for sure. Ice mining would give way to Ice camping. New gravs... we'll see if there's enough to keep the miners going.

Leper ofBacon wrote:

This isn't the case. This is the sad truth.

it's not a fact high sec mining is going to die; just like it's not a fact that the sky is made of custard.

also with regards to pvp, it is the case, stop being bad at eve.