These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

RIP hisec mining, it was fun while it lasted.

First post
Author
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#221 - 2013-04-28 18:04:45 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
If you're any good at scanning, the time spent to locate an ice belt should be minor. And because you can mine a belt for.. Well, a long time, it should average out quite nicely.

you don't scan for them. on session change you automatically scan and if an ice anom is there, you can warp straight to it. none of this probe bollocks.
and we have no idea of the size of the new ice anoms. it'll be the 4hr respawns that'll be an issue.

Ah. Thanks for the correction.

Still, if you don't need to play with probes, then the size of the Anom is kinda beside the point. Scan, warp, mine, profit. The 40M ISK/Hr number starts looking pretty solid.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#222 - 2013-04-28 18:05:13 UTC
EVE is dying.

Again.

For real, this time.

Roll

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#223 - 2013-04-28 18:09:27 UTC
I want reduced CONCORD reaction times in deeper space.

Then, maybe even i would start shooting miners.

(No)
Dave Stark
#224 - 2013-04-28 18:11:48 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
If you're any good at scanning, the time spent to locate an ice belt should be minor. And because you can mine a belt for.. Well, a long time, it should average out quite nicely.

you don't scan for them. on session change you automatically scan and if an ice anom is there, you can warp straight to it. none of this probe bollocks.
and we have no idea of the size of the new ice anoms. it'll be the 4hr respawns that'll be an issue.

Still, if you don't need to play with probes, then the size of the Anom is kinda beside the point. Scan, warp, mine, profit. The 40M ISK/Hr number starts looking pretty solid.

consider the following; the same type of setup mining scordite is earning around 30m/hour, at current prices.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#225 - 2013-04-28 18:15:20 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
silens vesica wrote:

consider the following; the same type of setup mining scordite is earning around 30m/hour, at current prices.

Indeed. Not quite enough to compensate for the mind-killing dreariness that is mining, but I suppose some folks can put up with that, and it *is* reliable. 40M ISK/hr for melting ice is probably close to the tipping point. If it were 50M ISK/hr, it would put me in a horrible dillema.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Dave Stark
#226 - 2013-04-28 18:17:51 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Indeed. Not quite enough to compensate for the mind-killing dreariness that is mining, but I suppose some folks can put up with that, and it *is* reliable. 40M ISK/hr for melting ice is probably close to the tipping point. If it were 50M ISK/hr, it would put me in a horrible dillema.

even with 4hr gaps between site respawns?
Nathalie LaPorte
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#227 - 2013-04-28 18:45:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Nathalie LaPorte
Bolow Santosi wrote:
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:

Is that 40M/hour estimate before or after subtracting time spent scanning down a new ice field and travel time to the new one?

Unless I missed something Ice Anoms will be just like regular anoms. So hit the anomaly scanner wait 10 seconds Warp to 0.

So 39.85M an hour I guess?

If you have to scan 8 systems before you find one with an ice belt active, then it will probably take you longer than 10 seconds, just to give one possible scenario. (since not every system is even a possibility for having an ice field ever, scanning 8 systems meaning making roughly 20+ jumps) If your fleet splits up to scan, then it has to travel to the system where the ice field is up, in another possible scenario. Obviously people are going to try to scan down a new site when their old site is nearing completion, as well.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#228 - 2013-04-28 19:07:17 UTC
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:
Bolow Santosi wrote:
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:

Is that 40M/hour estimate before or after subtracting time spent scanning down a new ice field and travel time to the new one?

Unless I missed something Ice Anoms will be just like regular anoms. So hit the anomaly scanner wait 10 seconds Warp to 0.

If you have to scan 8 systems before you find one with an ice belt active, then it will probably take you longer than 10 seconds, just to give one possible scenario. (since not every system is even a possibility for having an ice field ever, scanning 8 systems meaning making roughly 20+ jumps) If your fleet splits up to scan, then it has to travel to the system where the ice field is up, in another possible scenario. Obviously people are going to try to scan down a new site when their old site is nearing completion, as well.

Wow, competition, teamwork, flying your ship, paying attention... CCP really have screwed ice mining up haven't they Sad

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

LOL56
STK Scientific
The Initiative.
#229 - 2013-04-28 19:14:43 UTC
OHGOD THE SKY IS FALLING, RESOURCES HAVE BEEN REDISTRIBUTED, SHIP HULLS WILL FALL IN PRICE, USING MY CAP FLEET WILL NOW COST MORE THAN PENNIES, ICE MINING MIGHT BE WORTH GIVING A DAMN ABOUT.

Best expansion since apocrypha.
Nathalie LaPorte
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#230 - 2013-04-28 19:22:56 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:
Bolow Santosi wrote:
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:

Wow, competition, teamwork, flying your ship, paying attention... CCP really have screwed ice mining up haven't they Sad

No?
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#231 - 2013-04-28 19:38:48 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Mynna is telling me that hi-sec ice mining is going to be upwards of 40M/hr

"Oh god the horrror, my income is going to be 6x higher, CCP why must you torment us in this way?"

Except there ain't gonna be any ice for most of us, who don't do Ice Camping. So it may be 60x profits, it's just nobody gets them.

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Dave Stark
#232 - 2013-04-28 19:41:24 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

"Oh god the horrror, my income is going to be 6x higher, CCP why must you torment us in this way?"

Except there ain't gonna be any ice for most of us, who don't do Ice Camping. So it may be 60x profits, it's just nobody gets them.

you know exactly where the ice will be, as a miner you always have this really crazy option of mining ore until the ice sites respawn.

if you're not sure how you do this then you dock in a station, remove your ice harvesters and ice harvester upgrades, and replace them with strip miners and mining laser upgrades, then you undock and warp to an asteroid belt, from there it's pretty much the same as ice mining.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#233 - 2013-04-28 19:42:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

I'll create 20 alts and start mining ice, just to **** off everybody ...............

And, to make it even better:
After each day of mining ice, before i log off, i'll drop all of it into a jetcan and blow it up.

Man, that sounds hilarious ! XD
Dave Stark
#234 - 2013-04-28 19:43:15 UTC
Solstice Project wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

I'll create 20 alts and start mining ice, just to **** off everybody ...............

And, to make it even better:
After each day of mining ice, before i log off, i'll drop all of it into a jetcan and blow it up.

be a bro, sell it to me at a reduced price instead. you make isk, i make isk, AND you **** off the miners.
Nathalie LaPorte
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#235 - 2013-04-28 19:45:54 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:

be a bro, sell it to me at a reduced price instead. you make isk, i make isk, AND you **** off the miners.

Were I to make a list of the people whom I'd least expect to have the words "be a bro" directed at, Solstice Project would have been at the top of the list.
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#236 - 2013-04-28 19:48:05 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

you know exactly where the ice will be, as a miner you always have this really crazy option of mining ore until the ice sites respawn.

if you're not sure how you do this then you dock in a station, remove your ice harvesters and ice harvester upgrades, and replace them with strip miners and mining laser upgrades, then you undock and warp to an asteroid belt, from there it's pretty much the same as ice mining.

And see it already mined down by dudes who camped the system since the patch rollout, knew exact respawn time (which made you arrive at least 5 minutes late), and who just happen to have a few catalysts ready in case of... you.

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Dave Stark
#237 - 2013-04-28 19:54:18 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

And see it already mined down by dudes who camped the system since the patch rollout, knew exact respawn time (which made you arrive at least 5 minutes late), and who just happen to have a few catalysts ready in case of... you.

why would you be 5 mins late? nothing stops you spamming the scanner and i'm damn sure it doesn't have a 5 min cooldown.

worried about catalysts... mine in a skiff. ain't nobody suicide ganking that without a LOT of accounts, or a lot of isk in bigger ships to the point where it's more profitable to just ignore you and have those suicide gankers in mining ships.

would you like some cheese?
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#238 - 2013-04-28 19:56:43 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

why would you be 5 mins late? nothing stops you spamming the scanner and i'm damn sure it doesn't have a 5 min cooldown.

worried about catalysts... mine in a skiff. ain't nobody suicide ganking that without a LOT of accounts, or a lot of isk in bigger ships to the point where it's more profitable to just ignore you and have those suicide gankers in mining ships.

would you like some cheese?

Not till summer.

Shepard Wong Ogeko
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#239 - 2013-04-28 20:18:14 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

The horror. Being forced to mine 30mil/hr scordite while waiting for the 40mil/hr ice anom to respawn.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#240 - 2013-04-28 20:18:36 UTC
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

Were I to make a list of the people whom I'd least expect to have the words "be a bro" directed at, Solstice Project would have been at the top of the list.

OK you got me I laughed pretty hard at that one

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016