These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

RIP hisec mining, it was fun while it lasted.

First post
Author
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#201 - 2013-04-28 16:01:56 UTC
Bolow Santosi wrote:
Josilin du Guesclin wrote:

One thing I notice is that the nullsec folks are giving the highsec folks grief for being unwilling to band together and get some security (in this case, logi, etc.), while at the same time never considering doing the same for themselves. In both cases miners don't want to, and in both cases they don't address why. I'm going to hazard a guess that the real reason is that they don't want to have to pay someone to sit in a logi or some DPS and do nothing but watch ytube and drink coffee while they (the miners) have to deal with the tedium of doing just enough ship management that they can't really go and do something else. Also, doing so cuts into profits as long as other people are willing to accept the costs of not paying for direct security.

Bringing logi to a 0.0 mining fleet really won't do anything since we don't have to worry about this silly thing called concord. Ergo the need for logi to delay death by a few seconds so Concord can save the day is irrelevant. Also "most" mining fleets in 0.0 are in Grav Sites which must be probed down. Which means they're relatively safe from solo ganks and small gangs without probers.

If you want to guarantee safety you pay a price. Be it in yield, money, or effort.

Also, in Null, most of your "security" is in having scouts in adjacent systems and/or a camp on the entry gates with a bubble. Usually both.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#202 - 2013-04-28 17:19:42 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Maoye Simalia wrote:
Why push miners to null sec? Do they understand there are miners who have no interest to work under the umbrella of big corporation/alliance? They just want to be free and independent. Take away their profit and freedom. They will not mine anymore.

Miners aren't being pushed to nullsec. They're just not being pushed out of nullsec any more.

Hope you're OK with that?

What? They are fixing the cloaky camper mechanic?

No, they're leaving 0.0 massively undersupplied with low-ends.

it was this way since forever.

anything changed?

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#203 - 2013-04-28 17:20:41 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Well I don't know about you, but the current ice prices are steadily rising. The market seems to feel that the ice market is comming to a head. Now if people would accept my courier missions I'd be making a killing in new profits.

Just speculation, for now. Which is no reason why you shouldn't jump the band wagon and make a few ISK yourself.

well, the problem is: when you see band wagon it means it's already too late to make profits Sad

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#204 - 2013-04-28 17:21:08 UTC
Well I guess something changed, since all the hi-sec miners are wailing like a tomcat with his balls caught in the catflap.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#205 - 2013-04-28 17:24:04 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Well I guess something changed, since all the hi-sec miners are wailing like a tomcat with his balls caught in the catflap.

So much for the supposed objectivity and advocating for all areas of the game and all different playstyles. Your null zealot bias is once again on display.

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#206 - 2013-04-28 17:29:01 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

and again: what happened so industrials aren't forced out of null?

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#207 - 2013-04-28 17:29:16 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
March rabbit wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Well I don't know about you, but the current ice prices are steadily rising. The market seems to feel that the ice market is comming to a head. Now if people would accept my courier missions I'd be making a killing in new profits.

Just speculation, for now. Which is no reason why you shouldn't jump the band wagon and make a few ISK yourself.

well, the problem is: when you see band wagon it means it's already too late to make profits Sad
Not quite: It's too late to make miximum profits. There's still time to make increased ISK, you just won't be making it like the guys sitting on tens of thousands of units of ice.

JFTR: I undocked my mining alt for the first time in many, many months, and took a spin through a Hi-Sec icebelt. It reminded me why I don't mine for a living - Gah! 6M ISK/hr? While staring at a whole lot of not much? Painful!
Lo- or Nul-Sec would've been much better (dark glaze is good stuffs!) but still - I could blitz L4s for many times that per hour, and not be staring at the screen drooling in a semi-coma.

Anything that makes Hi-Sec mining more interactive has to be a boon to the mental health of the player base.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#208 - 2013-04-28 17:30:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Malcanis
Anabella Rella wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

So much for the supposed objectivity and advocating for all areas of the game and all different playstyles. Your null zealot bias is once again on display.

Sure, naturally, I've been elected now, so I can advocate that each and every one of you should be packed into Badger IIs previously used for transporting livestock and reprocessed into steaks, chops, ribs and burgers for the nullsec BBQ where this will all be planned to happen again next year. You seem like the kind of girl who'd taste great with chipotle sauce and chimichurri.

No seriously though, I have little to no respect for people who can't do basic maths (I'll only get to mine 50% as much, but I'll make 6x as much when I do... CCP THIS IS A HOLOCAUST!!!!1111) or check their own privilege (Nullsec is getting 10% as many slots as we get for free? CCP Y U PERSECUTE HISECS?!?!).

Also I've been pretty unsympathetic to people claiming that the proposed cruise missile changes are "gutting" Caldari mission boats because of the 10% increase in explosion radius.

Also I just watched a cat try and jump onto a fence, but it screwed up and fell onto the ground, it was funny and I laughed.

Altogether I am a horrible person, but if you want to call me a nullsec zealot as well, best wait until you see what I have to say about supercaps Twisted

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#209 - 2013-04-28 17:32:57 UTC
Anabella Rella wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

Just 'cause the man can make a witty observation on observed events doesn't mean he suddenly grew mustachios and turned evil on us.

I for one, welcome our Malcanis Overlord. P

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Liafcipe9000
Critically Preposterous
#210 - 2013-04-28 17:36:24 UTC
inb4 crystal ba -

nevermind.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#211 - 2013-04-28 17:43:40 UTC
I already have the moustache.

I'm working on the pointy beard.

The eyebrows are really difficult though, I'm not sure how that's gonna work out. Bear with me on those OK?

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Dave Stark
#212 - 2013-04-28 17:44:20 UTC
i've just run the numbers on odyssey ice mining from jita prices.

if you're complaining, i want you to take your toast out of the toaster with a fork tomorrow morning (only so you don't burn your fingers, of course)
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#213 - 2013-04-28 17:46:34 UTC
Mynna is telling me that hi-sec ice mining is going to be upwards of 40M/hr

"Oh god the horrror, my income is going to be 6x higher, CCP why must you torment us in this way?"

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Dave Stark
#214 - 2013-04-28 17:48:15 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

"Oh god the horrror, my income is going to be 6x higher, CCP why must you torment us in this way?"

you missed out an n.

yes, that's because i just told him that -.- he's stealing my thoughts! 40m/hour after odyssey hits is correct, at current jita prices.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#215 - 2013-04-28 17:57:30 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

Shocked Damn. That almost might tempt me to mine for a living. :: shudder ::

Damn you CCP, you evil geniuses!
(shakes fist)

Nathalie LaPorte
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#216 - 2013-04-28 17:57:39 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

you missed out an n.

yes, that's because i just told him that -.- he's stealing my thoughts! 40m/hour after odyssey hits is correct, at current jita prices.

Is that 40M/hour estimate before or after subtracting time spent scanning down a new ice field and travel time to the new one?
Dave Stark
#217 - 2013-04-28 17:59:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Dave Stark
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

you missed out an n.

Is that 40M/hour estimate before or after subtracting time spent scanning down a new ice field and travel time to the new one?

without, that's just isk earned ice mining/duration of time spent sucking on ice roids.

edit: but as i've pointed out before there are systems out there with 3x ice belts, which will have 3x anomolies. there is still potential to suck ice 23.5/7. we won't know how truly viable that is until we see the size of the anoms, though.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#218 - 2013-04-28 18:01:13 UTC
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

you missed out an n.

If you're any good at scanning, the time spent to locate an ice belt should be minor. And because you can mine a belt for.. Well, a long time, it should average out quite nicely.

Dave Stark
#219 - 2013-04-28 18:02:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Dave Stark
silens vesica wrote:
If you're any good at scanning, the time spent to locate an ice belt should be minor. And because you can mine a belt for.. Well, a long time, it should average out quite nicely.

you don't scan for them. on session change you automatically scan and if an ice anom is there, you can warp straight to it. none of this probe bollocks.
and we have no idea of the size of the new ice anoms. it'll be the 4hr respawns that'll be an issue.
Bolow Santosi
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#220 - 2013-04-28 18:03:49 UTC
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

you missed out an n.

Unless I missed something Ice Anoms will be just like regular anoms. So hit the anomaly scanner wait 10 seconds Warp to 0.

So 39.85M an hour I guess?