These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Docking/Undocking Animation

First post
Author
Heinel Coventina
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2013-04-27 08:54:57 UTC
Flamespar wrote:
It would be cool if players un-docking from the captains quarters view got an animation of their avatar climbing into the pod.

That might take long...

It'd be better if climbing into the pod is a separate action people can do if they wanted to.
Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#42 - 2013-04-27 10:32:10 UTC
My idea of undocking animation would be this. Every station has a disk the ship appears to "float" on. The disk under the ship opens up like an aperture of a camera. The ship would descend down.

Docking into the station would be the same as it is now.

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

CruxArc
Black Souls Industries
#43 - 2013-04-27 11:02:02 UTC
CCP could give different undock times for different ship classes. Light ships like frigates should undock faster than the larger ones.
Small units could be ejected like fighters from aircraft carriersBig smile
Urban Trucker
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2013-04-27 11:17:22 UTC
CruxArc wrote:
CCP could give different undock times for different ship classes. Light ships like frigates should undock faster than the larger ones.
Small units could be ejected like fighters from aircraft carriersBig smile

The argument, Immersion Vs Speed.

Right now it takes.. oh 3 to 5 seconds to undock (depending on PC, maybe mines uber who knows). If you manage to keep the undock animation within that timebound, your fine.

(How you'd be able to do that, no clue, there are some slow ships).

Though I guess if you create tugboat drones that act as boosters to fly the ship out.. might work.

A second is a very big balancing issue, cause people don't want to be.. Slow.....

I am for sale (Fenrir Freighter Pilot, 1.4 mil skillpoints, cheap)

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2982440#post2982440

thorgil
State War Academy
Caldari State
#45 - 2013-04-27 14:07:46 UTC
Just make shut down the stuff that keep your ship immobile. I bet it will make steam and some blue lazors.
Marcus Druallis
Northstar Cabal
#46 - 2013-04-27 18:33:26 UTC
Does anyone have a link to the new dock/undock animation?
Judge Magister Zeiram
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#47 - 2013-04-27 18:47:54 UTC
KuroVolt wrote:
This is the one Im really looking forward to.

But all of a sudden it hit me: While I would love to see my ship fly towards the exit of its hangar and towards the main docking/undocking bay of the station, such an animation would take alot more time than a loading bar so it would probably not be very well recieved by the more *get down to bussiness* players.

Would you mind taking a few seconds longer to dock/undock in the name of immersion?
And if not: What animation could CCP possibly add that only takes about the same time the current undock does and still feels realistic?

I don't see why such an animation would need to be mandatory. Couldn't it just be toggled?

I'd be happy if the engines purred and lite up when you hit undock.

KuroVolt
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2013-04-27 19:17:46 UTC
Marcus Druallis wrote:

There isnt any yet, they have merely anounced that they might add an animation in the future as part of their *battle on loadingbars*.

Ive now read rumors that undocking will be a simple fade to black.
To me this would be a huge missed opportunity on CCPs behalf.

I for one would LOVE to see more internal parts of the hangars, the coolest stations right now are the ones with forcefields that you can look inside of. Same goes for ships that have visible drone bays.

So little just adds so much to the experience.

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Equto
Imperium Technologies
Sigma Grindset
#49 - 2013-04-28 08:27:15 UTC
Lors Dornick wrote:
CCP Sisyphus wrote:
Lors Dornick wrote:
CCP Sisyphus wrote:
Whatever is done - I will say that our aim when killing all these loading progress bars is simple:

No Extra Time.

This is what most of us (I guess) wanted to hear.

Btw, I hope you're not in Iceland or one would wonder how you can post here at 6 am during fanfest ...

its already 6am??!

No, 8:30 GMT according to your post.

Now, there's Blue Badges stationed on odd places on the globe as Shanghai and Atlanta.

But a dev on iceland, early morning saturday during fanfast, who's both awake and sober enough to log in ...

Sounds a bit unexpected ;)

I will say that he was both in iceland and mostly sober while I was there. CCP seem to have this odd ability to down large amounts of alcohol without any outward signs.
Octoven
Stellar Production
#50 - 2013-04-28 08:30:59 UTC
KuroVolt wrote:
Marcus Druallis wrote:

There isnt any yet, they have merely anounced that they might add an animation in the future as part of their *battle on loadingbars*.

Ive now read rumors that undocking will be a simple fade to black.
To me this would be a huge missed opportunity on CCPs behalf.

I for one would LOVE to see more internal parts of the hangars, the coolest stations right now are the ones with forcefields that you can look inside of. Same goes for ships that have visible drone bays.

So little just adds so much to the experience.

Possible force fields on the exits of all stations? Big smile
Atlantis Fuanan
Wormhole Research Inc.
#51 - 2013-04-28 08:34:54 UTC
It's interesting that all of you seem to have the "same" time on undocking. For me and some of my corp buddies, undocking time is varying on personal ressources uses (multi-clients, other tools running) or simply server load is high.
I think the animation will only that long like everyones current loading bar takes. So if you have a super fast connection and pc, you could probably never see that "undock animation" since it will just happen to fast for you, while slow connections/bad computers will need more time to load the "space" and so it will just play the animations instead of a boring loading bar.

[u]Things that would make EVE better:[/u] NRDS - Remove Local - Balance Cloak - Sov-Mechanic Changes - Less QQ

Derdrom Utida
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#52 - 2013-04-28 08:37:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Derdrom Utida
Keep the new flashing lights, but also make the platform that the ship is on lower and a fade-to-black will transition from station interior to space.

EDIT: The fade-to-black will hide the progress bar. Only concern with this setup is if you want to abort the undock. May have to take the bullet and keep an "abort" button somewhere.
Teven Noziroh
DED Drug Enforcement Department
#53 - 2013-04-28 08:44:14 UTC
Have a few tubes and cords attached to the ships when they are docked.

An undock animation could simply be these disconnecting; steam and vapor clouds, engines roaring; then fade to black as the ship starts to move in any which way fits the station layout.
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#54 - 2013-04-28 08:45:26 UTC
God...read all of the first page and people are seriously over thinking this.

This is extremely simple. Make the animation something that begins and actively ends as soon as the background loading procedure is completed. For example, once the load procedure reaches a set percentage say, 90%, start the end of the video.

There's about 3 or 4 ways I can think of doing this going through my head right now.

I am sure CCP is on it. Even still...making it optional is the right thing to do. If someone would rather see a loading screen then that should be the players decision.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Galega Ori
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2013-04-28 08:50:54 UTC
Kadl wrote:
I hope CCP chooses to either 1) make it the same length of time, or 2) make it optional.

What can you do for the length of time? Show the ship traveling down an internal corridor.

I say do it, as I love anything that increases my immersion with the game. But for any option they may put in, I say that if you choose not to watch the animation you still take the same amount of time to undock/dock as with the animation. Of course this would negate the need for the option anyway.

With that said I think they should implement it in as short an animation as reasonably possible.

Cry all you want about losing a few seconds but in the end this would improve the game experience more than anything else.

DEATH TO LOADING BARS/BLACK SCREENS \o/

CCP Eterne: Silly Player, ALL devs are evil.

Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#56 - 2013-04-28 09:00:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
I wouldn't mind taking a few more seconds to undock to get a proper animation. I know some people migt be pissed but I really don't care. It would make Eve more realistic. Hell, it might even kill station games a little, which can only be a good thing.

I am sure however (if needs must), that it could be done to fit within the current undock time.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#57 - 2013-04-28 09:29:22 UTC
Docking on autopilot should 100% trigger Blue Danube, and the autopilot should warp you to 15km in front of the hangar doors (where "in front" might actually be "above" or "below" for certain stations).

Docking and undocking "progress bar replacement" animations could include, for example, the ship entering/leaving the landing pad area: thus you can dock from any angle onto a station and you don't have to worry about discontinuity of warping in to Dodixie Fed Navy from the Botane gate, seeing the "back" of the station, then suddenly seeing your ship entering through the front door.

But docking on autopilot must have Blue Danube playing, as a salute to Elite.
Tanaka Aiko
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#58 - 2013-04-28 12:05:40 UTC
I really want an animation, I hate so much the time of the docking/undocking, that a nice animation would make it more bearable.

We only need a way to have a loop for the potential extra time people with lower computers than others (or lag) need.
Maybe our ship has to stop at a moment, for an identification control, before leaving the station?
or why not another ship just before us, that block the passage, and allow us to move only when this loading is done? xD
Elder Ozzian
Perkone
Caldari State
#59 - 2013-04-28 12:51:19 UTC
hmm.. How about using the hole below the ship in hangars. When undocking, the ship aligns downwards into the tunnel / hole and the camera follows . When you fall into the tunnel, you only see the tunnel lights blinking or something, and when the loading is done you'll suddenly see docking bay door opens and you'll shoot out from the tunnel outside the docking bay.

But then again - aborting undock...

I disagree!

Scaara Koraka
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#60 - 2013-04-28 16:08:51 UTC
It already has the bar for when you can click to abort the undock so while that bar is doing its thing the undock animation could run that way it wont take any longer to undock but It would look much cooler and more immersive.