These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

If you had to give an honest opinion on Eve to a friend.

Author
Adelphie
The Lone Wolves.
#41 - 2011-10-17 22:23:49 UTC
When my housemate used to play before me I called it his "job".

Now we call it nerd crack.
Information Agent
Apparently Miners
#42 - 2011-10-17 22:28:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Information Agent
Something one of my buddies said when I was trying to get him to play Eve:

Him : "What? Why the hell would anyone in their right mind want to play a game that needs so much time just to get the basics?"

Me : "I know it seems complicated, but the more you play the more engrossed you become and the easier it gets"

Him : "So, when I think of nothing but politics and mathematics, then I am an Eve player?"

Me "Well, theres also the fact you can mess with people and screw them over, rob their stuff etc"

Him "So its more geared towards the political stuff then, its the Free Masons online with guns?"

Me *Facepalm*

I gave up trying tbh.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#43 - 2011-10-17 22:32:23 UTC
Information Agent wrote:
Him "So its more geared towards the political stuff then, its the Free Masons online with guns?"

Me *Facepalm*
To be fair, that's pretty spot on at times… Lol
Cerlin
#44 - 2011-10-17 22:51:01 UTC
As a player who got two of his IRL friend to join recently I think the biggest problem is explanation. This game is great for anyone who likes PVP and who is a real capitalist. With the right explanation and some start up capital it can be pretty easy to get people to play.

Although the best advertising I did so far was me starting to play then saying, "No, you wouldn't like it. It has a huge learning curve and takes forever to train." Lol

Works every time...
Hobogear
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#45 - 2011-10-17 23:11:35 UTC
Having just had 4 friends join in the past 6 months i have a bit of knowledge on this. Of the 4, 1 is a real gamer. He is the only one left. Eve is a hard game, its a great game but if you are looking for a great npc experiance you should go to wow or play console games. As much as the forum carebears will hate this, eve is a pvp game. That being said, if you have no isk it hard to pvp and actually be of value.

So, if they are truely gamers they will get into eve and enjoy it. If they are casual gamers they will hate it.
KFenn
State War Academy
Caldari State
#46 - 2011-10-17 23:39:31 UTC
The best game you'll ever play ~10% of the time. The other 90% is tedious as ****.

Commanding Officer of the Treacle Tart Brigade

EvEa Deva
Doomheim
#47 - 2011-10-18 00:02:19 UTC
I would say don"t bother, takes way to long to get going.
Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#48 - 2011-10-18 00:12:45 UTC
I Started a Few Months Ago, And I'm glad I Did... Even if Most People would Pwn me I'm still Enjoying my Interwebby SpaceFlyingthingymabobs

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Carceret Rinah
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2011-10-18 00:34:48 UTC
"Needs work. Watch this space for updates."
Marlakh
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2011-10-18 00:37:26 UTC
This article from Ten Ton Hammer sums it up pretty well, methinks.

There are many more articles from that great site, and also from Massively.

Best advice is for your friends to join Eve University, like what countless others before me had advised.

Good luck to your friends (they're gonna need it Twisted)!
Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#51 - 2011-10-18 00:38:50 UTC
Shove Eve Uni Up your arse joining them involves filling out a bloody Job application... I tried got Bored, Went to NullSec xD

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Gealla
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2011-10-18 00:52:12 UTC
Eve online is like someone coming into your house and butt raping you, and you pay $15 a month for it.

On the upside, occasionally you get to go to other peoples houses.....

Aidan Brooder
Dynasphere Ltd.
#53 - 2011-10-18 00:55:07 UTC
I think I'd say that EVE is not for everyone. Some hate it, some like it.

Most of the people I invited like it quite a lot. Its complex, it is NOT just PVP, but you can meet with PVP or other unfortunate ends any time. It is about real loss, not respawning, which makes it more serious and gives more kicks.

Some go back to other games from time to time, because of WiS not being implemented and sitting in a hamster cage not being inspiring. But they also return, because the spaceship part kicks a$$ and we have fun flying together.

EVE is a good MMO for a group, it is not much fun solo, usually.

Blog: http://aidanbrooder.wordpress.com My EVE Playlist on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSNuHY7z8n1q1BdLvW2verIfH8vvWtz_x

Aidan Brooder
Dynasphere Ltd.
#54 - 2011-10-18 00:58:14 UTC
But then let me add that many MMORPGs of today should be renamed:
SOWSERPG (Solo Online With Some Extras RPGs).

Blog: http://aidanbrooder.wordpress.com My EVE Playlist on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSNuHY7z8n1q1BdLvW2verIfH8vvWtz_x

Barbelo Valentinian
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2011-10-18 00:58:31 UTC
KFenn wrote:
The best game you'll ever play ~10% of the time. The other 90% is tedious as ****.

Yup I think this just about sums it up.
Killstealing
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2011-10-18 00:59:38 UTC
"it's good but by god if you join tell me so you can get your ass down to lowsec in a rifter while training instead of missioning all day"
Jada Maroo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#57 - 2011-10-18 01:05:03 UTC
I would never admit I play Eve. That game is for dorkwads.
Christopher AET
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2011-10-18 01:09:14 UTC
For me it's the way you can set up a complete surprise. In any other game you see a class and you know what they will be doing. With ships of course there are optimal setups for ships and and some more leftfield ones. Occasionally you will see a completely bizarre fit. A particular favourite of mine would have to be an old ECM myrmidon. (Yes you read that right) I was learning basic pvp ( well over a year ago now) and was very open minded. I managed to take on a drake and a brutix at the same time. Killed the brutix while jamming the drake and then escape the drake when I realised this frankenstein fit was not gonna break the tank.

Now it wouldn't work again in a month of sundays but that one time it did and while it was the pvp equivalent of flailing your arms and hoping to kill something, and to an outsider would have looked ridiculous, I can say it was a lot of fun.

Had a chat with the two lads and had a laugh about it and we went on our merry. I believe CCP calls this emergent gameplay. I call it pure chance but the result is the same. So that's my addition. The freedom to be ridiculous.

I drain ducks of their moisture for sustenance.

Igualmentedos
Perkone
Caldari State
#59 - 2011-10-18 01:37:34 UTC
I would tell them it's a deep and complex game that rewards intelligence and hard work. Also, I would let them know it's incredibly unforgiving.

Then I would tell them to ignore every lie about the community's supposed maturity. Seriously, I feel like I'm playing Runescape every time I log in.
Evelyne Durant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2011-10-18 01:50:28 UTC
TL;DR:
Would i recommend EVE Online to a real life friend?

Well, since it's not about what you say, it's about what you do:
I never asked any of my rl friends to join me in EVE Online.
/TL;DR

If it wasn't for the people i played with, i would never have stayed in this game longer then 2 months.

I cba to run missions, i get sick and tired of them after running a couple, wormholes are a logistical nightmare.
Trading was nice occasionally, POS moon/planet reaction stuff is like a second job.

PvP wasn't really my thing either believe it or not, but the people i stuck around with are very good at it and trained me well, i got good at knowing when to fight and not, so i started to like it because i blew up a lot more then i lost, but i never ever went out alone.

Mining was boring, but nice, only because we stuck around on teamspeak and socialized while doing it and it allows you to watch a movie or something on a second screen.

CCP doesn't change this game fast enough, it takes forever for them to acknowledge something is broken and even longer to fix it.
And i'm not even sure that CCP apology letter is going to change anything.

Now im 100mil SP trained and have multiple alts, turned into a bitter vet who occasionally reads forums and keeps training characters, but log in only to change my training queue, not sure why.